PDA

View Full Version : New here and not sure whether this was ever addressed. When Haley couldn't speak

SaintRidley
2009-06-30, 07:13 PM
I'm currently on an archive trawl and remembered that when I first read through the comics, I had figured out some of what Haley was saying when her speech wouldn't function after the hotel explosion.

Basically, I noted certain consistent aspects and devised a partial cipher that helped me figure out more. I've forgotten what exactly I had, but I do know it started out with the assumption that the letter F translated into either I or A.

I've noticed that there are only 9 pages of forum, and those don't go back far enough to really address the issue. Nor am I aware of whether the Giant actually went for a consistent method of constructing Haley's speech such that someone could come up with a cipher.

If anyone has any information regarding this, please do enlighten me. If not, then perhaps we could make a project out of it and determine what it actually was that she had been saying for all those strips.

Tenek
2009-06-30, 07:16 PM
It's been done... I just google "oots crypto ###" where ### is the strip number. (She has a tattoo you've never seen, too.)

Lord Loss
2009-06-30, 07:16 PM
Nice! i'm in to help! This is cool! My friend cracked the code. After three Months. And then lost the paper he wrote it on.

SaintRidley
2009-06-30, 07:18 PM
It's been done... I just google "oots crypto ###" where ### is the strip number. (She has a tattoo you've never seen, too.)

oh, cool. Thanks.

Captain Alien
2009-06-30, 07:20 PM
Even easier than that:

What Haley said compilation thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909)

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-30, 07:23 PM
And it's a different cipher for every comic.

Lissou
2009-06-30, 07:28 PM

Actually, we've seen it now.

i6uuaq
2009-06-30, 07:50 PM
Actually, we've seen it now.

no, wait, really? where?

Lira
2009-06-30, 07:53 PM
no, wait, really? where?

In this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html) comic, on her back.

Tenebrais
2009-06-30, 09:07 PM
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html) comic, on her back.

But is that the one Elan isn't aware of? :smalltongue:

I cracked a few of the more interesting-looking ciphers in my last archive trawl. It's actually pretty easy once you develop a technique. Not that that's really relevant now; I just wanted to gloat. :smalltongue:

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-30, 09:18 PM
the translations and more are also in the books, which is why the Oracle was able to understand Haley.

Porthos
2009-06-30, 10:09 PM
I've noticed that there are only 9 pages of forum...

If you go to the bottom of the forum, you'll see something saying "Display Options". There is a field that controls how many threads are shown. You can set it from anywhere from "Last Day" (which will show threads updated in the last day) all the wat to "Beginning" (which will show threads going back a few years).

Just a heads up. :smallsmile:

Zanaril
2009-07-01, 04:45 AM

Yes we have. :smallamused:

Ulrichomega
2009-07-01, 08:15 PM
Or you could just buy the books and get the translations for free...

You know, 'm just sayin'.

kusje
2009-07-01, 09:02 PM
Yes we have. :smallamused:

Is it too high up to be considered a tramp stamp?

infiniteviking
2009-07-01, 09:21 PM
But is that the one Elan isn't aware of? :smalltongue:

I expect he's aware of it now. :smallwink:

Haven
2009-07-01, 09:31 PM
Or you could just buy the books and get the translations for free...

You know, 'm just sayin'.

buy the books and get the translations for free...

buy...for free...

:smallconfused:

David Argall
2009-07-01, 11:26 PM
Is it too high up to be considered a tramp stamp?

Technically, but some such stamps are deliberately put where nobody is expected to see it. The lass gets her thrills without the risks.