PDA

View Full Version : Fistbeard Beardfist

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 07:40 PM
Here's an idea that's been floating around my head. The name is courtesy of the Charop boards at WotC.

Fistbeard Beardfist
Ranger 2: TWF! And Skills!
Dwarven Monk 2: Decisive Blow ACF, Overwhelming Attack ACF
Fighter 4: Thug ACF Dungeoncrasher ACF
Deepwarden 2: Con to AC
Fist of the Forest 1: Con to AC again
Drunken Master 4: For the lulz
Kensai 5: Vorpal Fists!

Stats:
Con>Str>Dex>Int>Wis>Cha

Assuming 32 point buy, I'm thinking of starting with

Str 14 (+6 item, +4 tome = 24)
Con 16+2 (Put level up points into here. 5 from levels + 5 tome +6 item = 34)
Dex 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 6

HP: 347.5 average

BaB: +16/+11/+6/+1

Saves:
Fort = 17 + 12 con + 4 cloak = 33
Ref = 11 + 2 dex + 4 cloak = 17
Will = 9 + 12 con + 4 cloak = 25
Note: +2 against spells, SLAs, and poison. Drinking 4 drinks increases Con by 8 points, resulting in a +4 increase for the modifier.

Feats:
Ranger 1: Favored Enemy: Arcanists, Track, Wild Empathy
Level 1 feat: Great Fortitude
Monk 1: Power Attack, Decisive Strike (full round action, one attack, that attack and all others until the start of your next turn deal double damage), Unarmed Strike

Monk 2: Improved Bull Rush, Evasion class feature
Level 3 feat: Poison Healer (Heal Con mod + 5 hp after resisting a poison.)

Thug Fighter 1: Dodge
Thug Fighter 2: Dungeon Crasher ACF (Or, if you prefer, Karmic Strike)

Thug Fighter 3: Nothing!
Level 6 feat: Endurance

Thug Fighter 4: Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike
Ranger 2: Combat Style: Two Weapon Fighting

Deepwarden 1: Trap Sense, Track. (Note: Track is gained twice. Ask the DM to swap it out for another feat, such as Karmic Strike.)
9th level feat: Steadfast Determiniation (Con mod to will saves, a 1 on a fort save is not an auto fail)

Deeparden 2: Stonewarden
Fist of the Forest 1: Con to AC, Primal Trance, Unarmed Damage 1d8, Fast Movement, Primal Living

Drunken Master 1: Drink like a Demon, Improvised Weapons
Level 12 feat: Combat Expertise

Drunken Master 2: Stagger
Drunken Master 2: Swaying Waist

Drunken Master 4: AC bonus +1, Improved Improvised Weapons
Level 15 feat: Combat Reflexes

Kensai 1: Signature Weapon
Kensai 2: Power Surge

Kensai 3: Nothing!
Level 18 feat: Robiliar's Gambit

Kensai 4: Ki Projection
Kensai 5: Withstand

Skills:

150 skill points total.

Balance: 5 ranks. Also, +2 from Tumble
Climb: 5 ranks
Concentration: 18 ranks from Monk, Deepwarden, and Kensai. You have a +12 con mod, so that's +30 to concentration off the bat. A Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MiC) gives a +5 bonus to all concentration checks for 2,500 gp. With a +5 concentration check, you're guaranteed 5 Power Surges per day

Diplomacy: 5 ranks
Handle Animal: 4 ranks
Heal: 5
Hide: 13 ranks.
Intimidate: +2 from Monk ACF
Jump: 5 ranks. +2 from Tumble
K. Dungeoneering: 5 ranks
Listen: 12 ranks
Move Silent: 13 ranks
Ride: 5 ranks
Sense Motive: 15
Sleight of Hand: 5 ranks
Spot: 10 ranks
Survival: 5 ranks from Ranger, Deepwarden, and Fist of the Forest. +2 from K. Nature.
Tumble: 18. +2 from Jump, +2 from Dex. +22 total.

Items:

Monk's Belt

Amulet of Health +6

Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +6

Anymug (Custom Item, should be between 3000 and 4000gp)

Cloak of Resistance +4

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MiC, 2,500) +5 to concentration checks.

Ankelts of Translocation (MiC, 1,400 gp) 2/day 10 ft teleportation as a swift action.

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400 gp) +4 bonus to avoid bull rush, trip, or overrun attacks. Any two-handed weapon you carry is treated as if readied against any creature that charges you. Combines with...

Many 30 foot poles

Fanged Ring (DM, 10,000 gp) gives Improved Natural Attack

Monk Tattoo 80,000. Ups speed, AC, and unarmed damage as a monk 4 levels higher. May not stack with the Monk's Belt.

Body Enhancements

Knees
Fists
Feet
Elbows
Beard (?)

You can bestow the equivalent of +5 enhancements on your unarmed strikes.

Interesting enhancements:

Eager (MiC 34, +1 Bonus) Gives you a +2 typeless initiative bonus when you're wielding it, as well as a +2 damage bonus during the surprise round and first round of combat. (You can also draw it as a free action.)

Dispelling. Greater (+2 bonus) Great caster level and essentially it gives you three 6th level spells at a +2 price.

Blurstrike (RotW, p170, +2 enchancement) Treats your opponent as flat-footed for the first attack each round for up to 10 rounds per day.

Magebane (CAr 143, +1 Bonus) – When wielded against a spellcaster or invocation user, +2 extra enhancement and +2d6 dmg.

Parrying (Expanded Psionics HB, 8,000 gp) +1 insight bonus to AC and ALL saving throws

Smoking Weapon (LoD, pg 180, +1 enchantment), real concealment that doesn’t affect the users vision and a localized stinking cloud to discourage grappling.

Spell Storing (+1 enchantment) Magical Hypodermics: 50 tiny arrows +1 of storing can hold buffs or healing spells of third level or below. 160gp per arrow.

Souldrinking (BoVD 112, +4 Bonus) Weapon bestows a negative level when it does damage. Extra goodies when you critical hit.

Splitting (CoR, pg 42, +3 enchantment) Doubles your number of attacks;if you make one attack, you get to make a second at your highest bonus.

Initiative (Oriental Adventures, 10,000 gp) +2 luck bonus on Initiative

Morphing: Not sure what it does, but it sounds like you could be like Clayface, or Madame Rouge.

Sizing: Deal more damage with your unarmed strikes

Transmuting: Overcome various DRs

Note: It is possible you can only enchant one kind of unarmed strike. In that case, enchant your beard (or feet, if that doesn't fly), and wield two different magical gauntlets on your fists.

-

Ok, so this came about as a way of improving the Drunken Master class.

Now, alcohol is a poison according to the Arms and Equipment guide, so we just keep drinking all day long with a magic item that gives us free beer. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere - just can't remember.

Weak ale is a poison that does 1d2 wis and dex damage, fort save to ignore, cumulative penalty. Between out monk saves, fighter saves, constitution, a cloak of resistance, and our dwarfiness, and Steadfast Endurance, however, we should be able to drink many beers without incurring a penalty. (We also get an increasing will save and AC as opposed to a deteriorating one due to the fact that both are fueled by Con, which increases as we get drunk.)

So what we get is a dwarf who is fueled by the power of booze, who spends all day blind drunk, and might, with a little more optimization be able to kick some orc arse whilst doing so.

Can anyone help me improve this by suggesting what levels in which classes are most appropriate? As is, I need some way of getting Heal as a class skill to get into Deepwarden.

Zaq
2009-06-30, 07:55 PM
I have no specific suggestions off the top of my head, but I am simultaneously skeptical about and delighted by the concept of simultaneously using alcohol as both power-boosting fuel (via Drunken Master) and damaging poison (via the A&EG rules).

Also if you do not go Kensai to get a magical beard I will be rather sad. I don't know if it's a good idea mechanically, but if you're already (as I judge from your name) capitalizing on the whole "a monk can use any part of the body <implied: including a beard!> as an unarmed strike" thing without making it explicitly magical, well, that's just too sad for words.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 07:56 PM
Sold on going Kensai.

What's a good break off point for Drunken Master so that we may go Drunken Master/Kensai?

I'm gonna guess Drunken Master 4?

I am simultaneously skeptical about and delighted by the concept of simultaneously using alcohol as both power-boosting fuel (via Drunken Master) and damaging poison (via the A&EG rules).

I suspect that since the A&E rules were not mentioned, you don't incur poisoning for using alcohol to fuel Drunken Master abilities, but even then, you can still drink to heal yourself.

Edit: Still need some way of getting Heal and K. Dungeoneering as skills... Perhaps a dip in Ranger?

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 08:13 PM
Needs some way to count as large to qualify for Knockback. Nothing better than hitting someone with your beard so hard they fly backwards. That synergizes with the Dungeoncrasher theme.

If you dropped 2 ranks into Knowledge Local, you should qualify for Jotunbrud. The region is primarily human, but you could study their tactics (with 2 ranks) and learn the fine art of belly bumping which you'd translate into roundhouse beardsmacks.

Also, find the longest pole you can find. When it doubt, lash 5-6 together to get like, a 30 foot pole. DM lets you wield it. If anyone so much as bats an eye at you funny, wonk em with the 30' pole and send em flyin.

EDIT: Monk gets Knowledge Religion as a class skill. 5 ranks qualifies you for Knowledge Devotion which lets you add another Knowledge as a permanent class skill. If you are a draconicly desended dwarf, I think you can nab Heal as a class skill. Check out Dragon Magic, but I'm not sure.

#Raptor
2009-06-30, 08:19 PM
Now, alcohol is a poison according to the Arms and Equipment guide, so we just keep drinking all day long with a magic item that gives us free beer. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere - just can't remember.

The Anymug? No idea where that thing is though, or if it just was made up by goblins.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 08:20 PM
Monk gets Knowledge Religion as a class skill. 5 ranks qualifies you for Knowledge Devotion which lets you add another Knowledge as a permanent class skill. If you are a draconicly desended dwarf, I think you can nab Heal as a class skill. Check out Dragon Magic, but I'm not sure.

I think I'll go Ranger, because then I can do things like TWF with a 30 foot pole while also using unarmed strikes.

And thanks again to Zug for reminding me about the Kensai and the ability to enchant body parts.

"Fist of STEEL! Elbow of Justice! Kneecap of Dispelling!"

Hell. "FAWCON PAAAWNCH!"

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 08:21 PM
There is the Everful Mug in the MIC, but unfortunately, it only fills itself 3 times per day...not really everful, and what self-respecting dwarf gets drunk in only 3 tankards? Seriously....

Winthur
2009-06-30, 08:23 PM
"There's no chin behind the Dwarven Monk's beard. There's only his fist."

Zaq
2009-06-30, 08:27 PM
Also, is Improved Natural Attack better than Superior Unarmed Strike? I've always been shaky on when each is better.

As for getting Heal as a class skill... I guess you could do worse than a dip in Ranger, but I feel like you could certainly do better, too, even though I'm having a hard time thinking of any other thematically appropriate classes. One level in Cloistered Cleric is, as always, a great dip mechanically, but difficult to justify flavorwise, particularly since you're going Cloistered and not just normal Cleric. K:Dungeoneering is rather hard to come by, unfortunately. Do any of the Monk sub levels in Champions of Valor give Heal as a class skill? I don't remember.

Zaq
2009-06-30, 08:28 PM
And thanks again to Zug

My pleasure, but the name's Zaq. Hard to see on a small screen, I imagine, but still.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 08:33 PM
Also, is Improved Natural Attack better than Superior Unarmed Strike? I've always been shaky on when each is better.

Well, I plan on a Monk's belt, which I don't think stacks with Superior Unarmed Strike, Zaq.

Demons_eye
2009-06-30, 08:34 PM

You can get both. One up's your unamred damge 4 monk levels. One makes it count for one size bigger medium to large.

Demons_eye
2009-06-30, 08:38 PM
Well, I plan on a Monk's belt, which I don't think stacks with Superior Unarmed Strike, Zaq.

They don't. They WoTC FAQ says so. But you might want to pick up the monks tattoo. Its slotless and ups a lot of monk abilities only 80,000. And while your at it pick up a fanged ring.

Edit:Monk Tatto is slotless but only ups speed AC and Unamred Damge 4 level up, its in Magic of Faerun.

Fanged ring get you Improved Natrual Attack

Edit:Edit: Fist of the Forest gets you con to ac and if you read it a way it will up your unarmed strike the next Damage level

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 08:41 PM
Needs some way to count as large to qualify for Knockback. Nothing better than hitting someone with your beard so hard they fly backwards. That synergizes with the Dungeoncrasher theme.

If you dropped 2 ranks into Knowledge Local, you should qualify for Jotunbrud. The region is primarily human, but you could study their tactics (with 2 ranks) and learn the fine art of belly bumping which you'd translate into roundhouse beardsmacks.

2 ranks in knowledge local will allow him to learn feats from a given region. But he's still gotta meet the other prereqs. For jotunbrud, that includes Human, and 1st level.
It's not like having ranks in a skill makes your dwarf be suddenly descended from giants.

If you can afford the levels, I suggest dwarf paragon (unearthed arcana). 3 levels, you get a con boost, boost to your dwarf traits (stonecunning, char level to craft checks, saves vs poison, magic), and good fort/will saves.

Deepwarden will give you Con to AC. Thta'll put that ranger level to use.
Alternate rangers from Dragon mag 226 (216?). Take arcanists as a favored enemy (Com Arc)

Edit: What book is poison healer in? And what are the prereqs?

Keld Denar
2009-06-30, 08:46 PM
Does Stoneblessed (Goliath) give you powerful build? There's an idea. A dwarf who thinks he's a giant! Napoleanism physically projected!

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 08:53 PM
Nope, certain class skills, +1 att vs giant, toughness

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 08:55 PM
They don't. They WoTC FAQ says so. But you might want to pick up the monks tattoo. Its slotless and ups a lot of monk abilities only 80,000. And while your at it pick up a fanged ring.

Edit:Monk Tatto is slotless but only ups speed AC and Unamred Damge 4 level up, its in Magic of Faerun.

Fanged ring get you Improved Natrual Attack

Edit:Edit: Fist of the Forest gets you con to ac and if you read it a way it will up your unarmed strike the next Damage level

Thanks a lot!

Don't think I'll be going fist of the Forest though. That's for nature loving hippie elves.

The natural setting thing is kinda... restrictive.

Does Monk Tattoo stack with Monk's Belt?

Edit: What book is poison healer in? And what are the prereqs?
Fiendish Codex 1, prerequisite of Great Fortitude, which itself is a prerequisite for Drunken Master.

Demons_eye
2009-06-30, 09:03 PM
I just says it does not stack with another monk tattoo, so I would say yes they stack.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:05 PM
I'll make a note of it.

By the way, what exactly does Dungeoncrasher do, and is it worthwhile for this build? I know it's something like 2d6 + STR mod on a bull rush, and the STR of this character could get to be quite high. Still, is it the right path to take, or should I refocus for more battlefield control?

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 09:14 PM
Don't think I'll be going fist of the Forest though. That's for nature loving hippie elves.

Deepwarden, from Races of Stone. Gives Con to AC. I think fist of the forest also restricts you to light or no armor. Deepwarden you can wear whatever you prefer.

Edit: Is there a spell that creates alcohol? If so, what would it cost to get that anymug? Have it cast the spell infinite/day. Could make it a 'poorly or cursed made magic item' where it only makes alcohol. Might get 10% off price. When the party sees you chugging this and healing, while rolling d20's, they'll get confused. Maybe a few will even get trashed trying to drink it and get themselves healed.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:17 PM
Deepwarden, from Races of Stone. Gives Con to AC. I think fist of the forest also restricts you to light or no armor. Deepwarden you can wear whatever you prefer.

Meh, the monk and ranger stuff only works in light armor. Fist of the Forest, here I come.

Oh, and Robiliar's Gambit and Karmic Strike are in this build now. Kekeke.

Person_Man
2009-06-30, 09:24 PM
I'm not a fan of Drunken Master, as it has lousy pre-req (Flurry, Evasion, Imp Unarmed Strike, Dodge, Great Fortitude, 8 ranks of Tumble), and they have very few useful class abilities. Wildshape and/or Rage like abilities (here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36238)) offer a much more efficient way to boost your Con, or the dozens of buff spells out there.

But here are my suggestions:

Totemist: Has Con based abilities, including Con based attacks. Magic of Incarnum.

Hustle (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hustle): Any psionic class can potentially give you access to this. It lets you take a Move Action (such as using Drink Like a Demon) as a Swift Action.

If you take Kensai, I highly suggest getting enhancing your fists (or natural weapons, like getting multiple tentacles from feats) with Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) and the Skillful (Complete Arcane) Enhancements. Spell Storing (with the help of wands or a casting friend) is the easiest way to nova. Skillful puts your BAB at a minimum of 3/4 when using that weapon. This is important for the Kensai, who has the ability to give his BAB bonuses to a friend as a buff. So tag team with another meat shield, and you become a very potent combo. It also makes you proficient with the weapon you're weilding, so you might also want to take Morphing.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-30, 09:27 PM
First off, Superior Unarmed Strike and Monk's Belt both stack. They're untyped bonuses to your 'Monk level'.

Second, have you considered adding in a Constant Effect item of Silverbeard(SpC)? Only 8,000 GP, and a must for any Dwarf character.

The Gilded Duke
2009-06-30, 09:30 PM
Is there some way you can fit in both Fist of Forest and Deepwarden? I believe one of them replaces your dex bonus, and the other adds constitution mod to ac, so they should stack. Then as you drink like a demon your ac doesn't actually drop but increases quickly.

Demons_eye
2009-06-30, 09:32 PM
First off, Superior Unarmed Strike and Monk's Belt both stack. They're untyped bonuses to your 'Monk level'.

Second, have you considered adding in a Constant Effect item of Silvereard(SpC)? Only 8,000 GP, and a must for any Dwarf character.

As said here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a) they do not the better one works. Its page 21 right side.

Does a monk with a monk’s belt and the Superior Unarmed
Strike feat benefit from both, or does just the highest benefit
apply?
In this case, the better benefit will prevail. These effects
technically do not have a bonus, so they would not use the
stacking rules. One effect will end up overshadowing the other

Zaq
2009-06-30, 09:32 PM

Second, have you considered adding in a Constant Effect item of Silverbeard(SpC)? Only 8,000 GP, and a must for any Dwarf character.

Silverbeard is the best spell ever.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:34 PM
Is there some way you can fit in both Fist of Forest and Deepwarden? I believe one of them replaces your dex bonus, and the other adds constitution mod to ac, so they should stack. Then as you drink like a demon your ac doesn't actually drop but increases quickly.

I have. Lulz.

Also, I did weapon Enhancements. Can someone tell me what equivalent bonuses are for the last three, and what they do exactly?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:38 PM
I'm not a fan of Drunken Master, as it has lousy pre-req (Flurry, Evasion, Imp Unarmed Strike, Dodge, Great Fortitude, 8 ranks of Tumble), and they have very few useful class abilities.
The current idea is to abuse alcohol.

Also, the lousy prerequisite feats are used for other feats. Dodge goes into Karmic Strike, and Great Fortitude fuels the binge induced healing.

Skillful puts your BAB at a minimum of 3/4 when using that weapon. This is important for the Kensai, who has the ability to give his BAB bonuses to a friend as a buff.

I leave Kensai before I get that ability. Sadly.

Zaq
2009-06-30, 09:45 PM
Just kind of musing here... what kind of rule-twisting shenanigans would it take to get your Kensai-enhanced body parts to be considered "things you crafted?"

I only ask because I wonder if there would be some comedic potential in taking Ironsoul Forgemaster. You'd need to dump a level into Incarnate (or Totemist, but whatever), but it gives you some very nice abilities, and the ability to pour essentia into your beard, well, involves lulz. Plus, then you could take Midnight Dodge (or is it Indigo Dodge? I forget. Blue Dodge of Blueness!) instead of Dodge and have it not suck entirely!

As for enhancements, just exactly where on the sliding scale of humor and SERIOUS BUSINESS does Fistbeard fall? I do believe that Throwing and Returning are the canonically chosen enhancements for a humor-based Kensai. Well, that or Bloodstorm Blade. Or both. Yes, definitely both. Again, we're burning levels here, but isn't it worth it?

Deth Muncher
2009-06-30, 09:49 PM
As for enhancements, just exactly where on the sliding scale of humor and SERIOUS BUSINESS does Fistbeard fall? I do believe that Throwing and Returning are the canonically chosen enhancements for a humor-based Kensai. Well, that or Bloodstorm Blade. Or both. Yes, definitely both. Again, we're burning levels here, but isn't it worth it?

But a dwarf cannot be separated from his beard, even if it comes back at the beginning of the next turn!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:50 PM
As for enhancements, just exactly where on the sliding scale of humor and SERIOUS BUSINESS does Fistbeard fall?
Both.

I do believe that Throwing and Returning are the canonically chosen enhancements for a humor-based Kensai. Well, that or Bloodstorm Blade. Or both. Yes, definitely both. Again, we're burning levels here, but isn't it worth it?
Ah, but Bloodstorm Blade has been done before, whereas this is new.

Zaq
2009-06-30, 09:50 PM
But a dwarf cannot be separated from his beard, even if it comes back at the beginning of the next turn!

Of course not. It elongates, stretching out like Dhalsim's fists or better. No joke.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 09:53 PM
Drunken Master requires Flurry of Blows. Do you think that this is a non-issue as any same DM will likely house rule that Decisive Strike counts, or are we going to have to Flurry?

Starbuck_II
2009-06-30, 09:53 PM
Kensai 5: Vorpal Fists!

Pretty sure you need a +1 fist (thus Kensai 1_ before Kensai can grant Vorpal. Minimum Lv 6 Kensai.

Emy
2009-06-30, 10:03 PM
Psionics, eh?

Take a dip in Psychic Warrior 1

Take Azure Talent as your bonus feat

Take Psycarnum Infusion as your level 18 feat

Get an expansion (augmented to 2 size categories and 10 minute duration) tattoo linked to a Capacitor, a Mental Tap, and a Transducer. This will allow you to hulk out as a swift mental action, and recharge the tattoo using temporary power point.

Also get a Psycrown of the Evader to use hustle without as much level investment.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 10:08 PM
Let's leave the psionics for another day and focus on alcohol-optimization, shall we?

I still need data on Dispelling, Morphing, Sizing, and Transmuting weapons.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-30, 10:20 PM
Off the top of my head: Dispelling is a +1 enhancement. But it hits the target as a targeted dispel magic. It only works twice per day, and is a caster level of 5. Not very useful later.
Greater dispell works a little better, total of +2, with a CL of 10 or 15. Again twice per day.

Not quite sure where my MiC has disappeared to this time. I'll find those others soon.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 10:24 PM
Thanks.

I must say, this has gone much smoother than I anticipated. Thanks, everybody.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-06-30, 11:47 PM
Update:

Vitals:
Str 14 (+6 item, +4 tome = 24)
Dex 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 6

HP: 347.5 average

BaB: +16/+11/+6

Saves:
Will = 9 + 12 con + 4 cloak = 25
Note: +2 against spells, SLAs, and poison. Drinking 4 drinks increases Con by 8 points, resulting in a +4 increase for the modifier.

Skills:
150 skill points total.

Concentration: 18 ranks from Monk, Deepwarden, and Kensai. You have a +12 con mod, so that's +30 to concentration off the bat. A Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MiC) gives a +5 bonus to all concentration checks for 2,500 gp. With a +5 concentration check, you're guaranteed 5 Power Surges per day

Hide: 13 ranks.
Intimidate: +2 from Monk ACF
Move Silent: 13 ranks
Survival: 5 ranks from Ranger, Deepwarden, and Fist of the Forest. +2 from K. Nature.

BobVosh
2009-07-01, 12:13 AM
Just kind of musing here... what kind of rule-twisting shenanigans would it take to get your Kensai-enhanced body parts to be considered "things you crafted?"
What if they are grafts that you assisted in creation?

quick_comment
2009-07-01, 12:55 AM
If you get an item of bloodwind, you can hurl your beard at people, captain america style

When Fistbeard Beardfist throws his beard, all who oppose his beard must yield!

Demons_eye
2009-07-01, 12:56 AM
BaB: +16/+11/+6

I think if you hit +16 you get 4 attacks. Like +16/+11/+6/+1

Deth Muncher
2009-07-01, 12:58 AM
Of course not. It elongates, stretching out like Dhalsim's fists or better. No joke.

:D

This makes me happy. I am in full support of this silly concept now.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-01, 01:09 AM
My beard knows kung-fu!

Also, it has heard about braid blades.

quick_comment
2009-07-01, 01:10 AM
Get monkey grip so you can wield an oversized beard!

Draz74
2009-07-01, 01:29 AM
I still need data on Dispelling, Morphing, Sizing, and Transmuting weapons.

Transmuting is a +2 enhancement. Overcomes any DR after striking the target once.

Morphing is a +1 enhancement. Weapon can change into any other weapon of the same size (including light/one-handed/two-handed "size") as a standard action.

Sizing can change its size (e.g. Large, Medium, Small) as a swift action. Costs 5k.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-01, 01:44 AM
Alternate Version:

Fistbeard Beardfist
Ranger 2: Arcane Favored Enemies ACF / Monk 2: Decisive Blow ACF, Passive Way ACF / Fighter 2: Thug ACF / Ranger 1 / Deepwarden 2 / Fist of the Forest 1 / Drunken Master 4 /Kensai 6

Stats:
Con>Str>Dex>Int>Wis>Cha

Assuming 32 point buy, I'm thinking of starting with

Str 16 (+6 item, +4 tome = 26)
Dex 14
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 6

AC 35

HP: 346.5 average

Initiative: +2

BaB: +16/+11/+6/+1
+2 attack with unarmed strikes, +1 damage. Unarmed Strike deals 1d8 damage.

Saves:
Will = 12 + 12 con + 4 cloak = 28

Feats:
Ranger 1: Favored Enemy: Arcanists, Track, Wild Empathy
Level 1 feat: Great Fortitude

Monk 1: Improved Trip, Decisive Strike (full round action, one attack, that attack and all others until the start of your next turn deal double damage), Unarmed Strike

Monk 2: Combat Expertise, Evasion class feature
Level 3 feat: Poison Healer (Heal Con mod + 5 hp after resisting a poison.)

Thug Fighter 1: Dodge
Thug Fighter 2: Knockdown

Ranger 2: Combat Style: Two Weapon Fighting
Level 6 feat: Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike

Ranger 3: Endurance

Deepwarden 1: Trap Sense, Track. (Note: Track is gained twice. Ask the DM to swap it out for another feat.)

Deeparden 2: Stonewarden (Con to AC, untyped bonus)
9th level feat: Steadfast Determiniation (Con mod to will saves, a 1 on a fort save is not an auto fail)

Fist of the Forest 1: Con to AC in place of Dex, Primal Trance, Unarmed Damage 1d8, Fast Movement, Primal Living

Drunken Master 1: Drink like a Demon, Improvised Weapons

Drunken Master 2: Stagger
Level 12 feat: Karmic Strike

Drunken Master 3: Swaying Waist

Drunken Master 4: AC bonus +1, Improved Improvised Weapons
Level 15 feat: Combat Reflexes

Kensai 1: Signature Weapon

Kensai 2: Power Surge

Kensai 3: Nothing!

Kensai 4: Ki Projection
Level 18 feat: Robiliar's Gambit

Kensai 5: Withstand

Kensai 6: Nothing!

Skills:

152 skill points total.

Concentration: 18 ranks from Monk, Deepwarden, and Kensai. You have a +12 con mod, so that's +30 to concentration off the bat. That's 4 power surges guaranteed, with a fifth almost certain, especially if you've been keeping your alcohol up.

Hide: 14 ranks.
Move Silent: 14 ranks

Items:

Monk's Belt

Amulet of Health +6

Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +6

Anymug (Custom Item, should be between 3000 and 4000gp)

Vest of Resistance +4

Cloak of Displacement

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MiC, 2,500) +5 to concentration checks, if needed.

Ankelts of Translocation (MiC, 1,400 gp) 2/day 10 ft teleportation as a swift action.

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400 gp) +4 bonus to avoid bull rush, trip, or overrun attacks. Any two-handed weapon you carry is treated as if readied against any creature that charges you. Combines with...

Many 30 foot poles

Fanged Ring (DM, 10,000 gp) gives Improved Natural Attack. Also, does Con damage.

Monk Tattoo 80,000. Ups speed, AC, and unarmed damage as a monk 4 levels higher.

Body Enhancements

Knees
Fists
Feet
Elbows
Beard (?)

You can bestow the equivalent of +5 enhancements on your unarmed strikes.

Interesting enhancements:

Eager (MiC 34, +1 Bonus) Gives you a +2 typeless initiative bonus when you're wielding it, as well as a +2 damage bonus during the surprise round and first round of combat. (You can also draw it as a free action.)

Dispelling. Greater (MiC, +2 bonus) Dispels at caster 10 level and essentially it gives you three 6th level spells at a +2 price.

Blurstrike (RotW, p170, +2 enchancement) Treats your opponent as flat-footed for the first attack each round for up to 10 rounds per day.

Magebane (CAr 143, +1 Bonus) – When wielded against a spellcaster or invocation user, +2 extra enhancement and +2d6 dmg.

Parrying (Expanded Psionics HB, 8,000 gp) +1 insight bonus to AC and ALL saving throws

Smoking Weapon (LoD, pg 180, +1 enchantment), real concealment that doesn’t affect the users vision and a localized stinking cloud to discourage grappling.

Spell Storing (+1 enchantment): Stores one spell of up to third level.

Souldrinking (BoVD 112, +4 Bonus) Weapon bestows a negative level when it does damage. Extra goodies when you critical hit.

Initiative (Oriental Adventures, 10,000 gp) +2 luck bonus on Initiative

Transmuting is a +2 enhancement. Overcomes any DR after striking the target once.

Sizing can change its size (e.g. Large, Medium, Small) as a swift action. Costs 5k.

Vicious (+1) deals 2d6 damage to target in return for 1d6 to you. But alcohol solves this problem...

Wounding (+2) Deal 1 Con damage.

The plan? Enchant your beard.

Beard:

Transmuting (+2)
Wounding (+2)
Vicious (+1)

The difference here is in the Passive Way ACF, which gives Combat Expertise, and Improved Trip.

We don't take Dungeoncrasher, so there's a free feat for Karmic Strike, and at level 12, Combat Expertise is no longer needed, so we can take Knockdown.

Or switch the two around, it don't really matter.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-01, 02:24 AM
Question: Can a Kensai with Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike imbue different unarmed strikes? The descriptions says the Kensai imbues the weapon he has selected with Weapon Focus, but since Unarmed Strikes consist of various different parts of the body...

If so, the list of enchantments would have to be much more limited.

We'd have to do something like

Beard:
Transmuting
Spell Storing
Morphing

And buy a gauntlet with, say,

Eager
Splitting

Initiative
Parrying

And a spiked Gauntlet with, say

Wounding
Blurstrike

Kris Strife
2009-07-01, 06:13 AM
I totally thought this was gonna be a thread about Chuck Norris... I'm glad I was wrong.

Doc Roc
2009-07-01, 06:36 AM
Chuck Norris is about this thread. :)

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-01, 08:15 AM
You should definitely get sizing & morphing on your beard. Just imagine their faces when your beard turns into an axe! Or a fist!?! Or turn your beard into a spear and brace for a charge!!! :smallamused::smallbiggrin::smallcool:

herrhauptmann
2009-07-01, 12:45 PM
I'm confused, for your alternate, why Fist of the Forest AND Deepwarden?
Does that give you your con bonus to AC twice due to a difference in wording?

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 12:56 PM
Yes. Deepwarden replaces your +dex to AC as +con to AC. FotF adds con to AC above and beyond your +dex.

It would be the same as a Monk who gets both his +wis and his +dex to AC, except with less MAD.

The Cat Goddess
2010-04-23, 04:57 PM
Question: Can a Kensai with Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike imbue different unarmed strikes? The descriptions says the Kensai imbues the weapon he has selected with Weapon Focus, but since Unarmed Strikes consist of various different parts of the body...

If so, the list of enchantments would have to be much more limited.

The description text in Kensai specifically mentions the situation for a Monk imbuing their unarmed strike... you treat it as a double-weapon, if I recall correctly.

If the DM allows you to trade out the second Track feat (from Deepwarden)... why not Ascetic Hunter? That will raise you to level 5 equivalent unarmed strike (from level 2), which in this case is the equivalent to Superior Unarmed Strike.

For items, an Amulet of Natural Attacks can give you more enchantments that combine with the enchantments you're getting from Kensai... Or you can just make it +5 and be done with it, since +5 to hit & hurt is never a bad thing. :D

Prime32
2010-04-23, 05:14 PM
Nooooo, you killed the thread. :smallfrown:

Dust
2010-04-23, 05:46 PM
This Is Why We Can't Link Nice Things.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-04-23, 05:56 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist and the Fountain of Unlikely Chance (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5900318/1/The_Fountain_of_Unlikely_Chance)

Deth Muncher
2010-04-23, 05:59 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist and the Fountain of Unlikely Chance (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5900318/1/The_Fountain_of_Unlikely_Chance)

Thanks for putting that up here. He emailed me that, but I haven't had a chance to promote it at all. :P

flabort
2010-04-23, 06:31 PM
I've seen the name "Fistbeard Beardfist" before... several times, in the same place as "Urist McLegendary", "Urist DaggerUrist", and other such dwarfy names: bay12 forums.

where all those names originated.

Nice build, though. mimics Fistbeard the First perfectly:
Running away in fear from groundhogs, slaying ogres with his beard, and pummeling dragons to death with a sock...

edit: oh, you actually used it.... nice, clean, and a little less kobold/elf disembowlment then i expected, but all in all, nice.

The Glyphstone
2010-04-23, 06:51 PM
I daresay to hope there will be future updates to the story?

Deth Muncher
2010-04-23, 06:54 PM
Yeah, he's in exam week now though, so updates may not happen so much.

Roland St. Jude
2010-04-23, 07:56 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy.