PDA

View Full Version : Storm IC

Darius
2009-06-30, 08:38 PM
In your dream, you see again the dwarven city of Isar, high up in the Mountains of Mist on the shores of a bottomless lake. An old dwarven priest speaks, "Ye must come. For centuries we have stood sentinel, lest the Powers that slept should awaken and unmake the world. Now we fear They have come again. My people can hold them back no longer..."

Waking, you gather your wits and decide that for whatever reason you must answer the call - even if it be to end the haunting of your sleep. You begin the long journey to Isar. When you arrive, you are shocked to find only a huge mass of rubble where an old beautiful village stood. A heap of fallen stones marks where the grand temple of Moradin once proudly defied the elements. You find no living dwarves, only a few hands and feet sticking out from beneath great stones that hide their bodies. A few small cairns show that some dwarves survived the destruction and hastily entombed their kin such as they could - but where have those survivors gone now?

The answer may lie in the strange flat island that now protrudes from the center of the lake. The only new thing amid so much destruction, it looks like a low building on a sandbar - yet you know that the waters at that spot are supposed to be hundreds if not thousands of feet deep.

As you conteplate what to do, others join you. Though your experience and instincts would normally make you wary of these others, you experience a strange sensation of deja vu. It is almost as if you have met these others before...but where? Then it dawns on you - the dream! They, too, must have had it.

ooc: Please describe yourselves and feel free to RP.

Frandal
2009-07-01, 03:48 AM
The human wearing a silver full plate was kneeled befor the cairns, praying for the lost souls. He finally stand up with a muttered " rest now brave guardians, your sacrifice will not be forgotten."
Then he turned to look at the strange island, covering his green eyes with is gauntled hand, the sun shining on his polished armor and the shield at his back wich depicts a red dragon head crossed vertically by a long sword. He walked to the shore of the lake, still looking at the island and apparently he hasn't noticed others around him yet.
His steed, a great black war horse, with a heavy lance and full equipment that seems not to hinder him, approached the paladin from behind, Finceleb touched the head of his friend unconsciously.
" we'll have to left a lot of equipment here Hantar " he said " if we are going to cross this lake"

Then he turned to the others, his hand moving to his longsword at first sight, but then, when the knowing feeling cames to him, just levaing his hand on the pommel.

"Greetings and well met, I'm Sir Finceleb and I had to imagine that the dwarves would call for anothers"

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-01, 05:04 PM
Val'dikar observed the scene from a overhanging cliff, his bloodshot green eyes piercing through the slots of his mask as he observed the various nuisances of the territory. <Elven> "This... was not in the stars." He gave a soft growl as he ran a hand idly along the ashen main the Phantom Steed he sat atop of. Movement. Curiosity getting the better of him, he brought his hand around to clutch the reigns and clicked his heels against the magical creations sides, directing it down the rocky path and down towards where the small group seemed to forming. As he approached, he could feel the shiver run up his spine... and he felt the touch of destiny upon him. <Elven> "Not again..." Flashes past through his mind... of the deadly dance of spells... the explosion of the crumbling tower swept by lightning and hurricane winds.

As he approached the others, his form and person were evidently clear, though seeing him, only caused more questions then he seemed to give answers. Wearing an outfit of fine breathable cloth, several leather straps where little glass baubles and charms of various sorts hang, jingling in the wind. The hand that holds the reigns to ethereal beast he rides on, has two signet rings, one in the shape of a crescent moon, and the other of a tear drop. Both rings are worn over a fine glove... giving more oddity that the man doesn't expose a single sliver of skin. Perhaps the most curious of his garments, is the mask he wears obscuring his face. Looking to be made from a metal of some type, and painted over, he depict a starry sky, and a raven's form back lit by a crescent moon. Aside from this, he has various weaponry as assumed to be held by a man on the road... a longsword, a bow.

Casually he approaches, perhaps in hopes not to spook anyone to much with his presence. As he gets closer, you can feel the air thicken a bit with unseen enchantments woven across the mans body. He keeps a small distance between himself and the others, casually sitting on the horse with an easy grace. As he speaks, his voice is rather soft and melodic, with the feel of a northern-accent and a rustic embrace, <Common> "Something of great importance has happened here... something that has escaped the heavens sight. The stars spoke of coming change... but not of destiny." His eyes remain locked on the small island far off, before he looked down to the others, <Common>"Destiny's web has grown... and like the venomous bi*ch she is... she has pulled more into the deceit of the culling. We must not struggle... for it only draws the silken strands of inevitability tighter... and tighter, like a noose around an innocent mans neck. You may know me as Raven... and I fear that our paths are collided in the face of a ruin that will sweep the lands."

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Rolls! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6409028&postcount=125)

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-01, 05:57 PM
I'm going to assume that we don't all have the dream at the same time - otherwise we wouldn't be able to arrive simultaneously.
In the bedroom of his small house in Greyhawk, Laertius comes awake with a start. The dream was unusually vivid, as fresh in his memory as though it had been a waking experience. He swings his legs over the side and shakes himself awake, stretching his limbs. Well he muses to himsef I suppose there's only one thing for it.

A few hours later, the middle-aged wizard is washed and dressed, outfitted for a journey and ready to travel. Squaring himself, he draws a bit of dried pineal gland (rabbit, he thinks) out of a very small pouch and murmurs to himself for a second. Sure enough, his dream was real enough to let him scry on the locale as though he'd seen it himself. The buildings are demolished, but the land is the same. There is an armored man praying. Laertius nods to himself. Nothing else for it, just as I thought. Speaking the words of magic, he disappears from his living room and travels instantly to a spot about fifteen feet away from the rubble, just in time to hear the paladin's greeting to the others.

Well met indeed! He smiles grimly, holding one hand up to demonstrate his peaceable intentions. He might have hesitated to appear so suddenly, except that the man was obviously a knight. I should think we're all here for the same reason?

Clairvoyance and Teleport, respectively. I'd like to assume for the sake of the plot that he arrives on target.

Right now he's got Armor and Invisible Mail cast on himself.

Frandal
2009-07-01, 07:49 PM
"Well it's seems that we were meant to be here maese... Raven " said the human hoping not to have lost something at the elf speech " but actually we don't know much more than..."
In that moment the wizard appeared and presented himself.

At first moment the paladin seemed surprised, but then he realized that the middle age human was a wizard and relaxed.

" Well met indeed. And yes, I think so, maese Raven here and I were about to consider our options. Does anyone knows more about this darwen village? what are they guarding?"

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-01, 07:58 PM
The very plain-looking academic nods politely to the third member of their accidental gathering. What a peculiar outfit he's wearing...

No, I'm afraid I don't know anything. I did have a dream about this village, but everything was still standing, and there was a temple here. He looks around again, as if hoping to notice something further at second inspection. Moradin, I should think. I don't suppose either of you had such a dream?

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-01, 08:07 PM
Val'dikar frowns slightly at the appearance of the wizard, from behind his mask... his creation gives a grunt of agitation at the grip of the reigns pulls the bit roughly in it's mouth. The grip is released, and he remains casual in his stance atop the mount, "The dreams are a signal from Fate... locking us together like a chest, with each of us the planks, that hold the world together. Magic is strong here... concentration will bring forth the foul things of this world." He lifts a hand, taking a mirror off of a hook and throws it down to the ground where it cracks and shatters, "Disrupt the boundaries between the worlds... perhaps we shall gain sanctuary from the drawing." He makes an odd sign with his hand, and looks backs out to the island, "More are to come... we must prepare to move.... this is a place of importance, we must not linger, least we draw the eyes upon us."

As he draws to a silent close, his mind begins working on what he knows of the land here.

-------

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-01, 08:16 PM
Laertius moves off a ways and examines the ruins of the temple, looking for anything he might recognize.

[roll0], check is 15.
[roll1], check is 16.

Darius
2009-07-01, 09:20 PM
The two learned folk look towards the island and try to glean an idea of the geoform and structure through tome or tale. However, they only recall that this place is that of a sanctuary for dwarves. The temple of Moradin - the forger of the world according to dwarven lore - is a place where none have breached the passes nor entered uninvited, for the Sentinels of Moradin are the beacon of lawfulness and might.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-01, 09:46 PM
Laertius sits down on a piece of rubble (careful to make sure that there aren't any dwarven bodies under it) and stares at the island rather flatly.

Hmph. Well, the dream wanted us here, and here we are. I think it's perfectly obvious that that island is the only suspicious thing around here. So the question seems to be: would you gentlemen like to investigate it first, or shall we reconnoiter the area first?

Darius
2009-07-02, 12:25 AM
As the group begins to contemplate what their next move may be, a flash followed by a peal of thunder erupts in the midsts of the group. A lone dwarf clad in functional dwarven plate and carrying a shield with odd runes upon it stands among you. As you study the face of the new arrival, you notice a strange blotchy birthmark was squarely over much of his face. Even under the spangenhelm it is clear that the dwarf's braided whiskers over the mark are bleached naturally. He looks through the eye protection of his helmet (shaped like modern eyeglasses) and sees the cairns. The dwarf's face turns ashen and the strange blotch upon his face is the only color upon it.

Then, a strange transformation occurs, for he looks at all of you and his mailed fist grips the handle of a warhammer hung on his broad belt whose leather wrappings shine from much use and says with a voice like a storm approaching, "Ye best draw steel or sling thy spells, for ye shall be answerin' for the fallen brave here by meetin' Moradin b'fore ye shall travel to th' hells from which ye came. When ye meet yer demon hoor tha' spawned ye, tell it Rhun Halfthane be comin' fer it."

As you prepare to face this threat, you notice upon the helmeted brow rests a crown. In addition, though you are no expert in dwarven folk, it appears as though the dwarf before you may be some direct decendant of the dwarven visage from your dreams. This dwarf in the flesh stands squarely before you, and the anger from him comes off in waves like heat from the flame.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-02, 02:02 AM
The middle-aged wizard springs from his makeshift seat, snatching his white-oak staff from the rock against which it had been leaning. Small arcs of electricity jump up and down the wood, but he makes no move other than than to bring the staff in front of him.

<dwarven>Peace, peace! We had no hand in this tragedy!

Darius
2009-07-02, 07:11 AM
The dwarf turns to the wizard and, for what seems to be many agonizing minutes, studies the party. His eyes linger on the human in full plate, and it is clear that he recognizes the man for a paladin. It is then when the one who called himself Rhun (pronounced 'roon' or 'rune') Halfthane seems to shrink as he relaxes his grip on his hammer. His shoulders sag, and he studies the cairns once again.

"Then stand aside, for I shall put me kin tae rest."

Rhun slings his shield over his back atop his rucksack, and then sets on covering the bodies. As he does so, the dwarf hefts some stones that even the strapping Frinceleb couldn't manage. Though the squat dwarf is more suited for working with stone, he does not appear to be the largest of most of his ilk. He does his work with great care and knowledge of stonefitting, however.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-02, 11:06 AM
Raven doesn't turn to address the dwarf's threat, though, his mount does stomp an ethereal hoof into the craggy rock. Once the threat seems to be alleviated, he turns to face them all again, his eyes running across the staff of the wizard, and the dwarven crown.

"The land is barren of the draw... the island is all that is. Doubtful that yon Halfthane, would care for us tromping on the graces of his kin in hopes of scraps. No... whatever we are to find to lead us to enlightenment... it will be on the island." He lifts a gloves hand and scratches at the top of his head through his hood.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-02, 12:29 PM
Seeing the dwarf lower his hammer, Laertius gently settles the end of his staff to the ground, where the static charge grounds and disperses harmlessly. After another moment of seemingly wondering what to do he finds another seat, close enough to converse but not so close as to interfere with the stone-lifting.

Rhun, I apologize for not helping. My strength would not, I think, be equal to the task. Tell me: did you dream of this place? I dreamt of an old priest who warned of an ancient evil that was contained here.

Darius
2009-07-02, 03:36 PM
Rhun mutters under his breath at Raven's comment regarding looting his kin, "Ye got tha' right, stranger. Wearin' a mask...(grumble grumble)." He then says aloud, "Ye know my name, masked one - what shall I call ye?" When he gets his answer, he looks to the rest of you for similar responses.

He then stops after hefting a boulder and holds it effortlessly. You calculate that it could easily stave a man's head, for it is quite large. He removes his helm and wipes the sweat from his brow with the golden hem of his red cloak. "Thank ye for th' offer, staff slinger. Tho' I commend ye on yer dwarven, I be sayin' rights o' passage as I lay my kin tae rest. These be ancient words not fit for pointy ears or beardless folk if'n ye gets me meanin'?" He glares at Laertius with beady eyes under bushy eyebrows and continues, "Aye, Ulaf Moradinson visited me. As ye can see I be too late."

His look is that of one who does not wish consoling, he continues his work. It appears as though the number of dead will extend his efforts into the night. If you wish to investigate the island, now may be a good time.

Edit ooc: My mistake regarding the wizard - thought he was elven.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-02, 04:30 PM
Val'dikar nods as he gives his name to Halfthane, and with that, he slowly begins to trot towards the waters edge, <Common> "No one could of made it in time... the stars couldn't even twinkle before this happened. Skill... or power. I pray not the both." He looks over his shoulder, <Common> "I am going to the island... my creation can not bear another... do you both have ways of crossing the waters?"

Darius
2009-07-02, 11:47 PM
The halfthane nods and then says, "Paladin, allow me tae enchant yon steed tae travel the air as if it be th' ground." He puts down the boulder and then pulls some thistledown from a pocket. Chanting words of magic in his deep voice, Rhun's birthmark glows a bluish tint and then is gone after he touches the paladin's mount.

(ooc: Air walk on mount)

He then picks up the boulder and resumes work.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-03, 03:27 AM
Laertius stands for a moment to make a short bow in the dwarf's direction. Laertius Laertiades, of Greyhawk. Certainly not the greatest, but neither the least of the mages who've made that fair city their home. He looks somewhat shamefaced at the mention of transportation. Ordinarily I'd step through the ether and be standing upon the island in the blink of an eye, but I've already come rather a great distance just now. I think I may need to sit behind the knight, if he's amenable to the idea.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-03, 08:52 AM
Val'dikar nodded and turned back towards the island, urging his mount forward. As the beast came to the waters edge, it didn't hesitate as it stepped out. It's ethereal hoof came down on the water's surface, and didn't punch through. Instead, the next hoof came forward and the mount started walking across the water, leaving not even a ripple to suggest that the beast's powerful hoofs were pounding on the lakes surface. With that, he urged the mount into a slow trot as they made their way across the lake.

Val'dikar's eyes stayed focused on the island, though his free hand rested on the handle of his longsword.

Darius
2009-07-04, 06:04 AM
On the island is what appears to be the remains of a shrine of some sort. The shrine is standing in the lake's center. It appears to be a fifteen foot tall octagon, two hundred feet across, carved from some sort of dark stone. The stone is remarkably well preserved for a structure that must be ancient. Except for a few cracks and the slime which covers much of its surface, the shrine appears untouched by the passage of time. The only visible entrance, a fifteen-foot-diameter black-metal portal with a strange black and red symbol emblazoned on it, stands in the center of the north wall. A ten-foot-wide sandbar appears to run around the outside of the shrine.

Scouting around the structure shows that the main door appears untouched by the passage of time. It is completely free of muck and slime that sticks to much of the ruin. The door is circular, fifteen feet in diameter. It is made of a very hard black metal. A strange emblem of two interlocking spirals (one red, one black) spans its surface.

Being the wary and experienced adventurers you are, you ride around the entire structure and note that there is another portal on the east side of the octagonal structure. This dark, five-foot high, three-foot-wide passage leads inward about five feet and ends in a room of normal dimensions (most likely 15'x15' or 15'x20'). Unfortunately, the entrance into this room is blocked by a large pile of seaweed lying in the passage.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-05, 06:28 PM
Val'dikar trots around the island, then around the building. As he passes the door and the sea-weed passage, his eyes snap around for key indicators of a trap*. For a moment, he sits in silent contemplation of the doorways markings, tumbling information over in his head**.

------

*- Find Traps on Seaweed Entrance

[roll0] - 95% Chance of Success.

*- Find Traps on Doorway

[roll1] - 95% Chance of Success.

**- Ancient History/Local History/Religion

[roll2] - Success on 17 or Lower.
[roll3] - Success on 15 or Lower.
[roll4] - Success on 15 or Lower.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-05, 06:52 PM
Laertius walks around the shrine, trying to figure out who or what built it. He notes the passage and finally comes back around to the front entrance.

Well he says this looks like a sticky bit of business.

[roll0] skill is 17 (to see if the shrine itself is familiar)
[roll1] skill is 18 (to recognize the symbol)
[roll2] skill is 16 (to figure out whether the symbol is part of a spell)
[roll3] skill is 15 (to figure out who the shrine is dedicated to)

Darius
2009-07-05, 11:08 PM
Neither Val or Laertius are sure where or what the shrine originated from, but Laertius believes the symbol to be one of ancient design. He has seen such symbols in his studies, but he can only pin point them to that of chaotic origins.

Val does not symbols and sigils around the door - whether those symbols are for protection or a warding trap of some sort, he is unsure. They may be by-passed, but it would mean subjecting himself to the effects if he made an error.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-05, 11:29 PM
Moving a little closer to the entrance - but not too close - Laertius peers at the runic symbol through reading lenses that he surreptitiously slips onto the end of his nose. Still peering at it, he speaks over his shoulder to the others.

This does look familiar, but I can't place it exactly. It's old, really old, and possibly having something to do with the Outer Planes? He doesn't sound completely sure of himself, and quickly defends his uncertainty. I'm a wizard, not a historian! All I know is: it's bad news. Nothing that wrecks a temple of Moradin and erects a shrine with a symbol like this one is going to be good for our health, I'll bet my staff on it.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-06, 10:54 AM
"Deception runs like water from a fall around this place... and I trust not secrets handed on platters. This door is possibly warded... the sea-weed possibly an omen. I cannot shake the depravities of a trap." He looks to the others, "I shall take myself in through the seaweed entrance, for those wishing to join me... "

He nudges the his mount and goes around, sitting casually, and then without hesitation moves his horse to enter the cavern. His hand remains ready upon his sword, but otherwise he merely keeps his senses on the alert as he moves inside.

Darius
2009-07-06, 11:46 AM
The masked Raven approaches the opening and realizes that his enchanted mount could not even enter let alone take him as a rider since it is both too narrow and too low to pass through. Only bi-peds entering one at a time in single file will be able to pass through.

OOC
edit: Taken from original description:

"This dark, five-foot high, three-foot-wide passage leads inward about five feet..."

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-06, 11:52 AM
Val'dikar frowns behind the mask and swiftly dismounts. The beast would last many hours longer, so he pointed it over to an open area and directed it to remain stationary. With that taken care of, he begins to enter cautiously on foot. His eyes moving all around in readied anticipation.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-06, 12:39 PM
Laertius hesitates for just a moment, then turns to the dwarf. Well. Shall we?

Darius
2009-07-06, 02:10 PM
Laertius hesitates for just a moment, then turns to the dwarf. Well. Shall we?

ooc: The dwarf is on the other side of the lake, burying the dead. If you would rather have him there with you, he can be in an instant.

From original text: "...he continues his work. It appears as though the number of dead will extend his efforts into the night."

BIC:

Val'dikar enters cautiously, stepping through and over slimy seaweed and sees a damp fifteen-foot by twenty foot room. Dim light from the outside makes visability difficult for those without infravision. There is a glint of metal winking from a second small pile in the southwest corner of the room (directly across from the opening).

Pushing past the last bit of seaweed, Val'dikar is met with surprising results, for the mass of vegetation rises into roughly a humanoid shape and strikes out at him with its arms which turns into long tendrils.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll=Damage2]1d10[roll]

The other pile from the southwest moves closer and does the same.

[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll=Damage2]1d10[roll]

Darius
2009-07-06, 02:12 PM
ooc: Aarg - typos

[roll0]
[roll1]

BIC: Val is hit squarely three times, forcing him to stagger back. Each blow, however, slams into the Raven's protective warding as if his skin were stone. The veteran knows that he cannot allow many more attacks at this rate lest his defenses be depleted.

ooc: Please roll for initiative.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-06, 02:15 PM
ooc: The dwarf is on the other side of the lake, burying the dead. If you would rather have him there with you, he can be in an instant.

From original text: "...he continues his work. It appears as though the number of dead will extend his efforts into the night."

I assumed we'd wait for him to finish. :smallredface:

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-06, 02:25 PM
[roll0]

Laertius, preparing to follow his erstwhile companion, catches sight of the mounds and stops dead in his tracks, reaching into his pouches for spell components with practiced reflexes. Here they come!

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-06, 03:54 PM
[roll0]

DM: Was my +3 Reaction Bonus taken into account for the surprise round?

Val'dikar lets out a hiss of surprise, his hand gripping his blade as he prepared to do battle.

Darius
2009-07-06, 03:55 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Darius
2009-07-06, 04:09 PM
regarding Forgotten's question...

ooc: Yes, the elf's surprise factor was taken into account; Val would have detected movement or his 'Raven-sense' would have tingled if he wasn't surprised. He wasn't alone - in advance to surprise, either (or moving silently), so the creatures sensed the pair.

IC: Another three strikes bounce off of Val and the third one misses wildly. He knows that the next attacks may begin to affect him if these seaweed creatures are not thwarted soon.

The paladin calls out, "Move back so we can take them on together!"

ooc:
Combat sequence will be -

Seaweed creatures
then Party members

If one of your actions would down one of the creatures, I will assume that the next attack would go on the other creature. I am not going to be too worried about the initiative factors for spells/attacks unless it poses a major problem. Initiative and PbP don't always flow as easily as table top.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-06, 04:27 PM
Turning to the knight, Laertius pulls his hand out of the pouch at his waist and casts a sprinkle of powdered metal in his direction, muttering under his breath. The knight and his possessions begin to swell, growing in size until he looks like a small, armored giant. Alright, now put all that muscle to good use!

Casting Enlarge. It's a quick spell, so initiative wouldn't be a problem anyway.

The paladin is now about 20 ft tall and does 230% of his normal melee damage.:smallbiggrin:

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-06, 04:38 PM
Val'dikar falls back under the assault, his sword coming up to protect him as he seeks the strategically withdraw back outside.

Darius
2009-07-06, 05:52 PM
Val backs out and the paladin becomes very large - too large for his steed. His legs straddle the horse and his oversized blade glows with a cool light. It appears as though the creatures are not going to venture out of their warren, so the warrior thrusts his massive blade inside.

[roll0]

Frandal
2009-07-06, 06:40 PM
[OOC: Sorry for the short dissappearance had to go on a short trip and was unable to find even the place or the time to connect :( ]

"What is this thing?" said the paladin while cutting it " Not even the guardians of Threlistreeex the Green were so weird"

Darius
2009-07-07, 09:23 AM
[roll0] x2.3 = 32

The large glowing blade of the paladin stabs into the seaweed. It is clear that such a telling blow would have felled most beasts, but Sir Frincelab realizes that the nature of the kelp-creature makes blades and similar weapons are not as effective against such a beast, for they simply pass through unhindered like stabbing at water.

The creature retreats from the small passageway and back into the room. It appears as though both are still inside but away from the direct line of the short passage way leading to the 15x20' room. If the party wants to enter they will be exposing themselves to further attacks. Plus, since the horses couldn't enter, the enlarged Sir Frincelab will not be able, either.

Frandal
2009-07-07, 07:03 PM
"Hmm it's seems that darwen architects didn't think on enlarged paladins wearing full plate visiting them "

He took a couple of steps back

" I suggest you to use any fire magic you have before we go into that room, I'll charge right before your spells, do not worry they wouldn't hurt me, as long as they are fire-based"

( OOC: He's assuming that fire would damage the water creatures but he could be mistaken of course ;) )

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-07, 07:50 PM
Laertius frowns, still staring into the dark passageway.

I'm not much for fire, to be honest. Lightning is more my thing, but I don't know that it'll be much use in this case. Raven, do you have anything for a situation like this?

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-08, 12:32 AM
Val'dikar frowns behind the mask, looking down at his body and his depleted spell. Sometimes, he wished could make it more conditional, he doubted those strikes would have failed him. Mumbling a curse he looks over, "Yes... I can craft the flame. Allow me a moment of reprieve however, to reassemble my shattered defense." With that he begins to cast Stone Skin.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-08, 01:07 AM
Laertius nods, then fumbles around with his pouches for a moment, coming up with a marble-sized chunk of slightly darkened crystal. Let fly with the fire, then, and I'll send some shadowy friends of mine charging in after.

Preparing to cast Summon Shadow right after Raven casts his spell.

For reference, Shadows are:

3+3 HD
THAC0: 17
Damage: 1d4+1 and 1 point of Strength
Size: 6' tall
+1 or better weapon to hit them

The kelp monsters probably won't even be able to damage them, so I'll have the Shadows move around the kelp things and try to herd them out into the open.

Darius
2009-07-08, 08:43 AM
Though the paladin jests about dwarven craftmanship, it is clear that this is no dwarven structure. The Raven reaches into his spell pouch and pulls out a small bag of diamond dust and granite powder. He realizes that at this rate of application, he will be out of the expensive components very soon.

ooc: I used to play in the Living City where a price was put on stoneskin. I don't mind you using it with our low numbers, but I want to make sure it is not a crutch. Roll made.

bic: The mysterious mage lets fly with his spell - sending flame out of the hole (just a reminder that the fireball of old must fill its radius, so be careful). Laertius summons shadowy creatures that enter the smokey room. Strange noises are heard for some time but then silence and the shadows emerge.

Entering to investigate after the smoke clears (and Sir Frincelab is 'normal' size, it appears as though the fire had little effect on the creatures, but the shadows must have finished them off. The glint of metal happens to be a pile of now melted gold, platinum, and silver. Two small diamonds also glint among the pile and could be easily crushed to restock the stoneskin powder bag. A crown made of a hard metal - most likely platinum - survived the blast.

A hall north continues on past the light and what appears to be two doors spaced 30' apart are on the west wall of the hallway. Both survived the fireball blast, but if any creatures are within, they most likely know of the group's presence.

Raven's trained eye detects no traps in the room or in the hall or on the doors. No sound is heard from either door, but it is clear that the muck and slime from what must be the depths have surrounded the door which is most likely stuck. It will take some effort to open any door here.

ooc: Door #1, Door #2, or down the hall some more?

Party Treasure:
2000gp

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-08, 02:52 PM
Laertius dismisses the spell he'd cast on the knight and moves carefully through the first room and into the hall with two doors. He stops before the first door and turns to the others.

I don't like to leave mysteries behind me. Let's at least take a look in these two doors before we proceed any further.

Frandal
2009-07-08, 07:21 PM
"I agree" answered Sir Finceleb embracing his shield "wich one first?" he said reading hinslef to open the door the rest decide.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-08, 07:58 PM
Val'dikar's eyes run across the doorways, checking for traps that others would miss*. "Sound decision."

*- Searching for Traps

[roll0] - 95% Chance of Success.

[roll1] - 95% Chance of Success.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-08, 08:42 PM
Laertius nods his head towards the door closest the exit and then quickly pulls a bit of something sticky out of a pouch and mutters for a moment. Instantly he flickers out of sight, and his voice comes from the space where he had been.

I'm ready.

Invisibility.

Darius
2009-07-09, 06:52 AM
ooc: I am assuming trap checking is mandatory, so I have been rolling for that, Forgotten.

ic: Now that he has entered the complex, Sir Frincelab is assaulted with a wave of nausea. It is not that he ate something that didn't agree with him, but rather something else like an overwhelming sense of something wrong or against his core beliefs. He swallows the bile that rises in his throat and moves to the door.

Darius
2009-07-09, 08:25 AM
ooc: [roll0]

[roll1]

iC: Sir Frincelab forces open the door. The light of the wizard's continual flame reveals a fifteen-foot by ten-foot room that once must have been a guard post. Sconces on the north and south walls hold unlit torches. Four men sit around a table in the center of the room. There are empty weapon racks against both the north and south walls.

Darius
2009-07-09, 08:34 AM
Just as Sir Frincelab is about to parlay with the group, the four at the table snap to attention and snarl at the paladin. It is clear that these men have been dead for quite some time, and they are obviously among those of the walking dead. Moving too quickly to be normal zombies, the undead throw rusty spears at the paladin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

The paladin reflexively raises his shield and the javelins bounce off of it.

It is clear that two other 'guards' are in the room in the corners flanking the door, for their spears have given away their positions. To Sir Frincelab's surprise, the two in each corner jump up and, with unnatural precision and clawed fingernails, begin scaling the walls as they approach him up the wall as they close into melee.

ooc: Initiative and declarations. Frincelab is in doorway. He can be attacked by five of the 'zombies' - two from above, and three in front of him.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-09, 01:00 PM
OOC: Oh, I didn't know that. Should of let me know, you extremely helpful DM-you. Are you doing my Detect Noise also?

[roll0]

Val'dikar whips his sword out of it's sheathe as suddenly disappears from sight.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-09, 03:15 PM
Val'dikar whips his sword out of it's sheathe as suddenly disappears from sight.

Wait, what just happened? Spell?

[roll0]

Laertius (still invisible) mutters to the paladin. Get out of the doorway so we can blast them!

He's going to create a Flaming Sphere in the doorway as soon as the knight gets clear.

Darius
2009-07-11, 01:19 AM
[roll0]

The group of undead pounce on the surprised Sir Fincelab before he is able to react and get out of the way. However, his sheer strength is able to keep himself standing as two of the creatures are hanging on his back, scratching and biting but unble to pierce his full plate shell.

The creatures seem uncaring at the unseen pair of wizards.

Frandal
2009-07-13, 04:18 AM
The paladin struggles to mantain his balance and unsheated his sword.

"Get off me you foul creatures!"

He stepped back leaving the archway free and tried to smash the two undead that are on his back agaisnt the wall so he can use his sword with them.

(OOC: Not sure how to do this... an unarmed attack check?)

Darius
2009-07-13, 08:20 AM
ooc: Go ahead and attack with your sword - otherwise, I can roll for you.

6 'zombies' are in room

Frandal
2009-07-13, 09:42 AM
The paladin swung his sword once, trying to cut one of the undead's legs, then aimed for the head of the same one, hoping to chop it off and end the crature, then he spinned and tried to cut the other's one spine.
It was incredible how he could move that way wearing such a heavy armor, but he was doing what he had been training his whole life.

Attacks: (Thaco 10)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage ( in case he hits)

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Darius
2009-07-13, 11:30 PM
The paladin slices the strange undead once, cleaving off an outstretched hand at the wrist. Then he sends his blade on its backswing and scores a hit that exposes unused entrails, but the creature still comes at him. With a final thrust, the warrior brings down the 'zombie'.

Five more like it remain in the room and look for an opening to advance. Their eyes trail over the invisible forms of the two spellcasters, and they appear to be able to see the pair. Two of the creatures scamper up the wall and through the door at the header and jump at each of the wizards. Laertius ducks under the clawing swing of the 'zombie' while the other zombie's strike staggers Val, but his defenses absorb the blow.

The other three form a line inside the room and swing at Sir Frincelab. He parries each blow with his shield.

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-14, 12:06 AM
Blocking the grasping claw with his staff, Laertius mutters a quick incantation. Grasping a sphere of green acid out of midair, he hurls it point-blank at his skeletal assailant, hoping to bathe its skull in the caustic liquid.

Melf's Acid Arrow

THAC0 is 8
[roll0]

[roll1] on contact
and 2d4 each round after for 5 rounds, rolled here for convenience.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Frandal
2009-07-14, 03:36 AM
« You foul creatures! I’ll send your poor souls back to your creator » said the human under the protection of his shield and armor. He stand tall and, seeing that they are thought,and using his shield to block as many claws as he could, he focus on one enemy at once, cutting and slicing him until it no longer is a threat and make sure his soul finally rest in peace.

Thaco 10

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]

Damage ( if proceed)

Attack 1: [roll3]
Attack 2: [roll4]
Attack 3: [roll5]

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-14, 11:55 AM
Val'dikar frowns as the Skeletal-skulls turn and look upon him. Preparing for their coming his hand scoops into a spell component pouch, and lets loose a garble of the arcane*. As he finishes and the Skeleton comes within inches of him, a torrent of flames burst from him and arch across the undead's body seeking to incinerate him.

*- Cast Spell: Burning Hands once Skeleton is in Adjacent Square.

[roll0]

Darius
2009-07-14, 08:19 PM
Laertius' acid bolt flies full into the face of the zombie, and the wizard becomes visible once again. The smell of burning ageless flesh is nauseating, but the undead creature seems uncaring as the left half of its face begins to melt. The mage figures that it will take some time, but this one will not survive his spell. He has little time to celebrate as the creature takes another swing at him, and Laertius is unable to dodge the strike.

[roll0]
[roll1]

« You foul creatures! I’ll send your poor souls back to your creator » is heard over the din of battle. Another three solid hits are what it takes to send another zombie to the floor, unmoving. It seems evident to Sir Frincelab that these creatures, though suseptible to his blade, seem to have added resistance, for two such blows would be all it would take to fell one of these abominations.

The remaining two lash out at the paladin unable to break through either his defenses or his spirit.

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]

Val winks into view and is revealed with his thumbs touching and fingers spread out before him. A gout of fire erupts from his fingertips and scorches the 'zombie' in front of him. The foul smell becomes greater, but Val is startled to realize that little other than setting the creature's hair aflame and charring its flesh a bit, the flames had little effect.

The creature strikes out at Val, but cannot do more than remove some of the enchanted protection upon him.

ooc:
It would be helpful for me if in each of your posts you would put a stat block in a spoiler.

AC, Hit Points, spells in effect, etc. should be listed there as a reminder for me (I almost forgot about Val's stoneskin earlier.

ooc2: Your go. Each wizard has a zombie attacking him from the hall and Sir Frincelab has two.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-14, 08:31 PM
Frowning slightly, clearly impatient, Laertius takes a firmer grip on his white oak staff, steps back, and tries to jab the creature in the ribs with the staff in order to keep it off of him.

HP 39/39
AC 2
Invisible Mail active (ignore the next 7 damage that would hit AC 3 - already absorbed 6)

THAC0 16
[roll0]
[roll1]

w00t, natural 20! :smallsmile:

Darius
2009-07-15, 08:29 AM
Laertius' strike smashes the zombie's nose. Instead of staving it in, however, it merely snaps the creature's head back momentarily. It is evident to Laertius that the strike was only half as effective as it should have been.

ooc:

Thanks for the stat bar; I knew that you had the mail up, but I couldn't find the post.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-15, 11:07 AM
HP: 35/35
AC: 2 / -1
Stoneskin: 5/8

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Val'dikar blinks in surprise to find the undead completely unharmed by his flames, normally it bore the perfect attack against their kind. Snorting in aggravation as the skeleton tears a portion of his protections away, he takes a step back to give him work to weave another spell. Holding his hand up, and a bark of the arcane, several blue missiles streak out of each fingertip and impact harshly upon the skeletal frame*.

*- Casting Spell: Magic Missile

Force Damage: 18 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6505542&postcount=169)

Darius
2009-07-15, 11:38 AM
Val is even more surprised as the missiles strike the creature with no apparent effect. It swings again, removing yet another layer of the wizard's protections.

(ooc: fire did work, but only half as well; the zombie seems to be immune to magic missile; acid seems to work fine; the staff worked only half as well; sword worked, but not quite to full damage)

The other zombie in the hall swings at Laertius as the acid has eaten away much of the flesh on the left side of its head, revealing its skull. The strike shatters the invisible mail, but much of the blow is deflected (3 damage)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sir Frincelab boldly faces the other two trapped in the room as they swing at him with their fists.

[roll2] <--not sure if that hits, can I get Sir Frincelab's AC, please?
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-15, 01:08 PM
Having seen the zombies up close now, can Laertius identify the type?

[roll0]
Skill is 15

Darius
2009-07-15, 08:13 PM
For Laertius:

The learned mage groans as he recognizes this type of undead. They are zombies called Ju-Ju zombies, for they are created when a wizard drains the life force from a man using the energy drain spell. Because of this, they hate all things living and can understand speech (including instructions). They also are known to use tactices and strategies. Unlike the typical zombie, these are in better condition and have inhuman abilities (like the wall climbing) because they were living when created, so they are unlike the zombie raised from dead corpses.

since you made it by four, I will add four things in addition to what you already know:

Magical weapons are needed to harm them; edged weapons do normal damage (but the enchantment of the sword does nothing for damage); blunt and piercing does half. Normal zombie immunities apply, and they are immune to mind-affecting/psionics as well as illusions, electricity, and magic missiles. Fire does half.

Frandal
2009-07-16, 03:24 AM
AC: - 4
HP: 79
To hit: +7
Damage: 1d10+8
Thaco: 10

The paladin took a step back getting a litte more room then he attacked one of the undeads hoping to take it down so he can help the wizards.

“Laertius” he said “come closer to me I’ll take care of it”

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-16, 03:46 AM
Ducking under a zombie claw, Laertius conjures another bolt of acid at his assailant, yelling aloud after the spell cast: You do realize they can hear you? These aren't ordinary zombies! Not much works except acid and edged weapons!

Another Melf's Acid Arrow. In 2nd edition multiple castings take full effect; I hated that they changed that in 3rd. :smalltongue:

THAC0 8
[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Darius
2009-07-16, 08:15 AM
The paladin's defenses hold, and he returns the attacks in kind with several reposts -

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

His first strike misses, but the other two cleave pieces of the zombies off, but yet it still is animated.

Laertius calls out a tactical warning and fires a second acid arrow at the zombie assaulting him. Striking it, the creature looks like it will only last a few more seconds before dropping.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-16, 09:40 AM
Stoneskin: 6/8

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Val'dikar grunted under the assault, his ears ringing with the Wizard's warning. Seeing no other alternative, he brings his blade down and across, striking quickly and without hesitation*.

*- Attacking Skeleton with Sword.

THAC0 15.
[roll0]
-[roll1]
1d20 = 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6511993&postcount=172)
-[roll2]

Darius
2009-07-16, 11:52 AM
Although his first strike is true, Val can see that the fine blade he has has little effect on this creature.

The zombie strikes back and subtracts another of Val's stoneskins.

The vulnerable Laertius is attacked by his melting zombie aggressor...

[roll0]
[roll1]

and he ducks under the swipe. The creature then falls and the acid continues to eat away at the zombie.

The wounded and unharmed zombies strike at Sir Frincelab, hissing as their fists enter his protective aura.

[roll2]
[roll3]

As fate would have it, the undead the paladin was unable to drop smashes his fist hard in Sir Frincelab's helmet. (22 damage)

[roll4]
[roll5]

The blow sends Sir Frincelab back, making the other creature miss completely.

ooc: 2.5 zombies remain (one and a half on Sir Frincelab, and one on Val)

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-16, 12:13 PM

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Val'dikar hisses in frustration seeing his blade clang away from the stout bones, "Magical edge... " By the time the Paladin finished against his foes, all of Val'dikar's precious Stoneskin would be wasted, once more. Throwing up his hands in a chant to the arcane, his form blurs as several copies of himself pour forth*.

*- Casting Spell: Mirror Image

The Images will be putting themselves inbetween the real Val'dikar and the Undead. Just trying to buy some time.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-16, 02:14 PM
Laertius calls out again just as his companion is about to finish the spell, No illusions, no illusions! They're immune!

Running over, knowing full well that it'll barely dent the zombie, the invoker swings his staff around and slams it into the creature's ribs.

It's immune to nearly every spell I have. :smallannoyed:

THAC0 16
1d20+3[/roll]

[roll0]
Staff is a +2 weapon.

Screwed up the attack roll, doing it again.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-16, 02:15 PM
[roll0]
THAC0 16

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-16, 04:16 PM

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

If Val'dikar can, he will attempt to cancel the spell without expending the energy of it's memorization. Instead resolving to go into a defensive posture as he holds off time for the Paladin to get to him*.

*- Going into Full Defense.

Darius
2009-07-17, 07:47 AM
Acting before Val, Laertius quickly recognizes the spell his fellow mage is about to cast and warns him of its futility. (ooc: Laertius beat Val on initiative). Instead, Val opts for a defensive posture and hopes to occupy the singed zombie until Sir Frincelab can aid them.

(@Forgotten: Val should have 5 stoneskins left. Normally I roll that, too.)

Laertius smashes the scorched zombie on its shoulder, but it still attacks.

1d2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Sir Frincelab faces the two zombies and decides to attack the undamaged one, calling out, "The fight is mostly out of this one, finish him with your staff."

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

The remaining zombies attack
[roll8]
[roll9] <-- The burnt zombie swings and connects Laertius

[roll10]
[roll11] <-- The undead's strike bounces harmlessly off of Sir Frincelab's armor.

if needed:
[roll12]
[roll13]

Only the two wounded zombies remain (the one missing many pieces and the burnt and battered one).

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-17, 03:17 PM
Grazed by one of the zombies, Laertius spares a moment to consider what manner of disease such a creature might carry. Shaking that grim prospect aside, he steps up to the zombie the knight indicated and brings his staff down with what he hopes is a finishing blow.

Good ol' Staff of Thunder and Lightning
THAC0 is 16
[roll0]
[roll1]

Bleh, crap roll.

Darius
2009-07-18, 07:53 PM
The staff of the human wizard grazes the shoulder of the zombie, apparantly not hitting anything vital to the animated creature. (read: missed)

Frandal
2009-07-20, 05:07 AM
With the sabour of his own blood on his mouth, Sir Frincelab focused on the zombies attacking his friends, hoping to stop at least one of them so they can break off and save some of his spells later.

AC: -4 ( -5 if they are evil and I presume they are ;) )
HP: 57
Thaco: 10

Rolls:

Att1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Att2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Att3: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

OOC: By the way it was Finceleb but as long as our bold DM uses the name Frincelab I've changed it too ;)

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-20, 11:22 AM

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Val'dikar continues to hold his defensive posture.

Darius
2009-07-20, 09:36 PM
Sir Frinceleb downs the only unwounded zombie and the other two attack.

1=Sir Frinceleb, 2=Laertius, 3=Val

[roll0]
[roll1] miss
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4] one less stoneskin
[roll5]

The other two are dispatched by Laertius and Sir Frinceleb. Investigating the room reveals nothing of value. Val notices that the unlit torch in the sconce on the northernmost side has many scratches on it. Investigating it reveals that there are also bits of wood on the sconce itself.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-20, 10:06 PM
Touching a finger to the developing bruise on his shoulder where one of the zombies broke through his magical ward, Laertius hangs back as Val examines the sconce. Pulling some fine powders out of a pouch, he sprinkles them over his forearm and mutters under his breath, hoping to avoid taking any more such blows in the near future.

Stoneskin

[roll0] attacks will be blocked

Frandal
2009-07-21, 03:45 AM
The paladin took off his helmet and cleaned the bruise that started to appear on his cheek where the undead got him.

"We should continue I'll like to be out of here before sundown..."

OOC: Do you need some healing?

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-21, 08:17 AM
OOC: I'm down 12 hp, so it certainly couldn't hurt. :smallsmile:

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-21, 08:51 AM
Val'dikar eyes the object for a moment, "I require no healing... strange object, old and derelict. I wonder..." He reaches up and takes a firm hold of the sconce, and pulls on it, attempting to trigger some sort of secret entrance or hidden panel.

Frandal
2009-07-21, 10:13 AM
Noticing the wounds of Laertius, the paladin approached to his comrade.

"Here my friend, let the power of my god to enter you and heal the damage done by those foul creatures “
He closed his eyes and muttered a pray, feeling the warm and vigorating power of his God inside him , he let it loose, crossing his arms and hands, reaching the body of the wizard, healing his wounds.

OOC: I can heal up to 22 HP with lay on hands hope it’s enough ;)

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-21, 02:47 PM
Closing his eyes, Laertius allowed part of his brain to try to identify which god might be healing him. He'd forgotten (or perhaps the knight had never mentioned) the name of the paladin's patron deity, and despite having been healed over the years by most of the gods of the Flaeness, Laertius still couldn't seem to detect any noticeable difference in the experience.

Thank you, sir knight. Er, Pelor perhaps?

Darius
2009-07-21, 07:22 PM
In the slimy confines of this shrine to chaos, the paladin known as Sir Frinceleb has great difficulty focusing his energies. Through great willpower and faith he is able to heal the injured mage.

Meanwhile, Val tinkers with the slick torch sconce - pulling, pushing, twisting. It is when he lifts the torch out of the sconce that an audible click is heard. The wall then pivots a bit as if on a center axle going from floor to ceiling (like a revolving door). The muck and filth from being submerged in the bottomless lake on the floor gathers as the learned elf pushes against one edge. It reveals a corridor that goes to the right and left (East and West). To the east, the wall of what must be the hall in which the group was travelling. To the west, twenty feet and a dead end.

Val checks for traps and finds none and investigates the dead end to the west. It is clear to him that another secret door must lie here. He begins trying to figure out how to activate the door, but alas, he cannot. Perhaps magic via a knock spell would open the portal.

ooc: Two ways to go - back down the original hall some more (one more door there). It appears to continue on for a ways, so it may prove fruitfull. Or, get through this door via knock or bend bars/lift gates.

Frandal
2009-07-22, 02:53 AM
Finceleb focused on his connection with Pelor, but it was with great effort that he finally was able to heal the wizard.

“ Yes my friend, Pelor is my guide and his strength help me fight, but we are traveling into a place that it’s forgotten by the Gods or that it had been constructed to even hide whatever is inside to the eyes of the Gods themselves. I’ve fought before in places like this “ he looked around him, to the stones and moss covered walls “ and it wasn’t an easy fight. But do not worry friends “ he ended with a confident smile and placing a gauntled hand on Laertius shoulder “ with your magic, my sword and Pelor’s help we will prevail and the Gods will discuss our deeds!”

After exploring the corridors ( unless stated otherwise due to stealth and/or checking for traps needed the paladin goes in first place always ) the human sheated his sword, take a hold on the floor and pushed the wall hoping to move the secret door.

Bend bars (25%) [roll0]

OOC: I first thought on Pelor, but I’m thinking on changing it because Pelor will focused more on the undeads and Finceleb is a wyrmslayer but until I could access to my books again lets keep him :)

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-22, 07:02 AM
ooc: For the record, I totally just threw Pelor's name out there.

Laertius smiles at the knight. He's not a terribly pious man by nature, but anyone who doesn't honor and respect the gods is a fool. It never hurts to have friends in high places. Thinking that, he hangs back for a moment. Perhaps we should go back and entreat our dwarven friend to accompany us. I don't want you to think me cowardly, but I don't consider it wise to turn down the help of a priest when zombies are crawling around the ceilings willy nilly...

Frandal
2009-07-22, 10:45 AM
The paladin considered Laertius words for a moment.

"Your words are those of wisdom my friend. Alas I'll feel more comfortable if one darwf is here with us so we don't commit any fault on any item sacred for them, as long as this wasn't made by darwes it was them who took care of it by centuries. I think the return path is safe enough for one of you to reach him, I'll stay here on guard, just in case more of those foul creatures arrive."

Darius
2009-07-22, 08:21 PM
Unable to budge the secret door on this end, the party decides to make a tactical retreat. Since Sir Frinceleb's steed still can tread upon the air, and Val's strange phantom mount can walk across the waters as if dry land, the party makes it back to find the dwarf steadily building cairn upon cairn. It is obvious to those learned in piety and religious dogma that the tabard upon the dwarf is that of some holy vestment, but none of you recognize the diety to whom the symbols relate. It is obviously something good, for the runes upon it deal with many of the holy virtues shared by the gods of good.

The dwarf stops his work as the party approaches. He wipes sweat from his brow and listens to your description of the citadel. "Aye," he responds, "Th' Chosen o' Moradin were 'ere tae keep th' place b'low th' depths. They paid th' ultimate price, and failed in there task. Looks tae me tha' we be needin' tae set this right. Me kin been dead, and there be nay a rush, for I 'aven't 'eard me a sound o' any sort o' life th' entire time ye been away. I'll heal yer wounds an' join ye if'n ye like."

ooc: healed to full hit points via cure spells.

Frandal
2009-07-23, 05:40 AM
"It will be an honor to have you with us, and once whe've finished to explore the complex and discovered what we can I'll help you buriyng your kin"

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-23, 03:27 PM
Laertius briefly fills the dwarf in on what they discovered, from the shrine and the plant creatures to the ju ju zombies within. ...on the whole, I think there's a reason we were ALL called here. We'll definitely need all the help we can get.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-23, 04:09 PM
Val'dikar nods slightly, "As I said... destiny has cast her web, and we have been ensnared. Ones of power..."

Darius
2009-07-24, 12:40 AM
"Aye, then why in the seven layers be we still 'ere? Let's get movin'!" Rhun says gruffly.

The foursome crosses the lake with many riding the air walking steed of Sir Frinceleb. The dwarf says, "Take 'er up, and le's take a gander at this thing from above."

As you explored earlier, it was clear that the shrine takes up most of the island and is octagonal in shape. However, what you do note from above is that in the middle of the flat 'roof', there appears to be a 10' in diameter hole. Next to the hole is what appears to be a humanoid body. On closer inspection, the hole appears to have a set of stairs leading down into the heart of ruins. Laertius notes that the body is that of a seal woman known as a selkie. The creature appears to be gasping painfully and barely alive.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-24, 01:13 AM
Laertius gasps and taps the knight on the shoulder. We need to get down there and help that poor creature!

Darius
2009-07-24, 02:06 AM
As if thinking the very same thing, the man of action (Sir Frinceleb to you), spurs his mount to land nearby. The selkie gestures feebly, indicating to come closer. In a flourish, Sir Frinceleb is at her side, and he reaches out to her. With great effort, the seal creature places a small quartz arrow into his mailed hand and manages to croak out, "Be..ware...the liv...ing...sta..tue..." She then faints.

The dwarf gives her a once over and then conjures more healing magic. The selkie revives somewhat and weakly says, "I thank you for your kindness, strangers though you are. I am Gyffes, clan-chief of the selkie in this lake. Several weeks ago, a crack appeared in the floor of the lake. We sent five of our best scouts to investigate the mysterious crevasse. They never returned." She looks sadly at you after saying that and continues, "We had many council meetings after that to decide what must be done. We decided to wait. Our wait was soon over. My people started dying. The shades of the long dead and never born walked the village. People went mad. I took eight of the finest warriors from my village, and we found our way into these ruins. Alas," she says sadly again, "I am all that remains."

Gyffes continues, "We killed two vile creatures which seemed to drain the very life from my warriors. They took three of us and all we got in return was this." The selkie gestures at the crystal arrow in Sir Frinceleb's hand. "It was well hidden, so I sense it may be of importance. After finding it, we headed south. One of my warriors investigated a statue that suddenly came to life and attacked us. None of our weapons could harm it. We fled and now I am all that remains." Tears flow unchecked down Gyffes' face. "It is still down there...beware. Destroy this place - send it back to the depths. Save my people, save them please." Her voice begins to trail off, muttering softly in some strange language.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-24, 02:13 AM
Laertius leans close, but can't identify the language. Blast. Well, we can't leave her here. We need to get her to safety, but we also need to investigate quickly. We don't know if there's a timetable to this affair. Perhaps your horse can carry her to shore, Sir Knight?

Frandal
2009-07-24, 02:33 AM
"You speak my thoughts my friend. I don't know how much time your magic will work on Belfalas " he tapped his mount neck " and how far is your village milady, but he'll do his best to take you back home to safety, don't you my friend?"
The great horse moved his head in response at the paladin's words.

Darius
2009-07-24, 10:44 AM
Gyffes stops muttering in her native tongue and then shakes her head, "No, kind sir, your creature cannot take me to my village, for it is in the depths of this lake. If you would heal me some more, I could come with you and help with what I know of this place."

Frandal
2009-07-27, 03:36 AM
Finceleb looked into her eyes and saw a great determination.

“ You are brave milady and your company will be most than appreciated in our little team. Here, let Pelor’s grace enter upon you”
He concentrate and send a prayer to Pelor, asking him for healing her wounds. He was confident that outside the ruins his connection with his God will be fully restored again.

(OOC: Cure light wounds.. not much I’m afraid! ;) )

Darius
2009-07-30, 07:57 AM
The selkie appears more refreshed and she says, "My thanks, sir knight. Although I am not at full strength, I am ready to forge ahead." She looks down shyly and then give a forelong glance at Rhun.

The dwarf gruffly says, "Fine." He casts another cure serious wounds on her.

She smiles and says, "Thank you. I am much better now. Shall I lead?"

Darius
2009-07-30, 02:57 PM
Gyffes leads the party down an ornate spiral staircase into a thirty-foot by thirty-foot room. Passages lead to the north, south, east, and west. Ten gems inlaid in the steps give off light equal to torghlight. The ever present muck is on the stairs, walls, and floor of this area. Five bodies litter this area and the hallway leading to it from the south.

Gyffes lets out a gasp and rushes to the furry-bodied humans (which are obviously selkie). She checks for life signs on each, but the sad look upon her face reveals that none yet live. She stands over the last and says, "This is my sister." The purple glow from the walls in the hallway give off a dim light that foils Val's infravision and reveals the tears that flow down Gyffes' face.

ooc: N, W, E, or S?

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-30, 03:35 PM
Laertius hangs his head a little and goes over to awkwardly pat her on the shoulder. While he's there, he offers a quick, silent prayer to Beory, figuring that she's the goddess most likely to be involved with Selkies. That's Laertius' way - he honors all of the gods more or less equally, and prays to whichever one would seem to have dominion. There, there, it's alright. The best we can do for the dead is live as they would wish us to.

ooc: Let's try North.

Darius
2009-07-31, 12:33 AM
The dwarf looks over at Gyffes and nods solemnly at Laertius' comment, "Aye, lad. Ye be right."

Once she collects herself, the selkie leads the party north. As they pass through the hall, it is clear that the hall opens up after thirty feet. Half way down the hall, the dwarf says, "Oy, these 'ere walls tae th' west an' east shift somehow. Ye wish me tae try and move 'em?"

Feeling about, the dwarf finds a stone and pushes it. A low grinding noise is audible and the wall section moves revealing a roughly triangular room, thirty feet wide and twenty-five feet deep. It appears to be well furnished, although deserted, apartment. A large rug covers the center of the room and fine tapestries line the walls. In the rear right corner is a large canopy bed covered with delicate silk. A dining table and chair of oak occupy the rear left corner. Neatly placed on the table is an empty place setting of silver and crystal. Silver candle holders hold two white candles. A high backed red velvet chair is in the eastern corner of the room, next to an eight-foot-high book shelf wich covers most of the northeast wall. The book shelf is filled with many old volumes. The entire room is filled with cobwebs, however, and it seems that it has been vacant for many years.

Sir Frinceleb has an very uneasy feeling about this place.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-31, 12:46 AM
The middle-aged professional adventurer pokes his head into the room without actually entering. If it's not trapped, we might be able to learn something. Nothing describes a creature like its own habitat...

Frandal
2009-07-31, 03:25 AM
The young human putted an unarmored hand on the selkie's shoulder. His expresion reflecting ihs own pain.

"Do not worry. We'll do our best to avenge her."

He doesn't found more words to comfort her pain, so he just gave her support.

When he putted on his armored glove again Laertius could saw that his grip around his sword is more firm. All could feel how much he had tensed, the paladin remained silent, lost in his own thoughts.

When the chamber is open he spoke again.

"Beware my friends, for a I have a bad feeling about this place. I suspect something evil lurks near, even the very walls of this forgotten room distill evil..."

Forgotten T.S.
2009-07-31, 09:14 AM
OOC: I apologize, I have been out of state for a few days, I should of posted a warning, but it was rather surprising to even myself that I would be going. Back to the game!

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

Val'dikar remains rather silent as he trails along in the back of the group, watching quietly and observing more then anything. As they pass along floor, he takes a moment to study the gems*. Picking up his pace, he catches back up with the others, and watches in slight awe as the dwarf moves the hunk of wall. He flexed his bicep under the drappings of his garb, a bit sullen at his own ordinary strength.

As the wizard speaks of the room, Val'dikar steps up, and around the group, "Allow me..." With practiced ease his eyes sweep the room, and upon being satisfied it is not rigged in any way, steps in, "One moment while I check a few other things." He takes a minute to check the bookcase, bed, tapestries, and table**, and once he has determined their safety, he motions to the others, "You may all enter... this room harbors no swift death."

----------

* - Checking the Glowing Gems.

[roll0] - Success on 18 or Lower.
[roll1] - Success on 17 or Lower.

Depending on the information, Val'dikar will scoop/pry a couple of the gems up.

**- Appraising Stuff in Room

Edit: Didn't accept the code for the rolls.

I am not rolling my Trap Finding and stuff, as you already told me you are doing that, with the assumption that I'm always doing it. :smallamused:

Darius
2009-07-31, 07:16 PM
ooc: I will need saves from Val and Sir Frinceleb (vs. spell) - if make it, they can enter. If not, they cannot. Rhun save: [roll0]

Laertius and Rhun enter the room and swat away the cobwebs as they come in contact with them. He heads towards the bookshelves and begins reading the bindings. I appears as though this is a well stocked library akin to that of a wizard.

Though he says nothing, a gray palor has taken over the dwarf, and it appears as though he is shivering from cold. Beads of sweat trickle down his beard from beneath his helm.

Vox Clamantis
2009-07-31, 07:48 PM
Laertius stops in his inspection of the bookshelf as he notices the dwarf's condition. Uh, is something wrong?

Darius
2009-07-31, 09:47 PM
The dwarf gets a dour look on his face and grunts out a, "Nay, I'm fine." However, it doesn't take a detect lies spell to see through his feeble attempt. The good news is that things do not appear life threatening.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-03, 10:20 AM
[roll0]

No whammy, Big Money!

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-03, 03:03 PM
Laertius nods with a doubtful look on his face, but doesn't appear to want to contradict the dwarf. Turning back to the room, he searches it for anything that might indicate who lives there.

Not sure if you'd want a roll of some kind for that, so I'll just roll a blank d20.

[roll0]

Darius
2009-08-04, 12:37 AM
ooc: Sir Frinceleb's save: [roll0]

IC: Val tries to enter the room, but deep down in the core of his being, something stirs. Normally a fighter when faced with the fight or flight reflex, it takes every fiber of Val's being to not start to flee. What he simply cannot do is enter this room.

It appears as though Gyffes is experiencing the same stressful situation the elf is, for she, too, does not enter.

Sir Frinceleb enters and cannot shake that bad feeling. Even the faithful paladin starts to feel a strange coldness envelop him. It begins to numb his very soul, and the steps he takes are difficult, for he cannot feel his feet inside his normally warm boots. Even the normal warmth of this trusty blade is not enough to prevent his fingers from becoming stiff.

@ Sir Frinceleb:

You feel your DEX being drained away. You cannot pinpoint any source other than being in this room.

After a bit of searching, Laertius and the now shaking Rhun come up with nothing of apparant use. Then, even Laertius feels a chill in the air. A whispery, forlorn voice cuts through the air: "Who visits me after all these centuries?" The voice comes from a shadowy form sitting in the velvet chair. It is strange, for no one was sitting in the chair when everyone entered. The figure appears human. He is draped in robes and wears a conical hat, the wide brim of which hides his features.

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-04, 01:06 AM
Having been studying the spine of a book and considering whether to pick it up, Laertius spins about and opens his mouth to cast a spell - and then closes it with a click when he hears the voice.

Oh! He takes a step away from the bookcase and drops a short bow in the manner of human nobility. I am Laertius, son of Laertius, a wizard of Greyhawk. We didn't know anyone was here, or we wouldn't have intruded.

Darius
2009-08-04, 01:45 AM
Still keeping his faced shrouded by his hat, the robed figure says, "A wizard? How fortunate. I am Draconus...Draconus the Cursed, former archmage and once one of the greatest foes of the Shrine of Chaos before the Lords of Chaos imprisoned me here for eternity." As Laertius listens, he cannot help but notice that he can see through the archmage as if he were water and can spy the chair in which he sits. As the mage considers this, Gyffes shrieks and takes off running. Val is too caught up in the situation at hand, and can only watch as she heads further north out of his vision.

Draconus sighs and says, "I am afraid that I will have that effect on all of you should I look at you. I shall do my best to keep my eyes downcast so that I do not cause a similar reaction to any more of your party." It is clear that the tone of Draconus' voice is sincere. "How many of you are there?"

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-04, 01:49 AM
Laertius answers cautiously but truthfully. So far as I know, just the five of us. But we were gathered here by visions, and there's no way of knowing how many others are on their way.

Darius
2009-08-04, 03:15 AM
Draconus says, "There are others here, wandering about this place. Why even one of them had turned on me. I am not surprised, you see. What you are in now is but a remant of the original Temple - the secret part that wasn't destroyed in the conflict thirteen centuries ago. Ah, it was indeed a sight to behold - so beautiful and yet so dangerous. The main chamber was so huge that even the mightiest of castles could fit within it. So much wealth was used in the decoration and construction of the place that the mind reels. Undoubtedly such a great collection of riches had never been seen before nor ever will be seen again. But be not deceived:" Draconus leans in to send his next point home, "lovely it may have been, but also deadly - utterly deadly."

He leans back and continues, "Its power spread like a blight across the planet and others, threatening the whole plane. Whole races were enslaved and destroyed. The world cried out for release. The came the time of the Great Alliance. All the creatures of Law and Neutrality joined forces to combat the temple, its masters, and its minions. The battle lasted many years, but in the end we were the victors. We destroyed the Temple, but this underground shrine escaped our sight and survived. The Lords of Chaos were banished - but not before they had destroed many of us. Me they imprisoned, a cruel fate for one who loved life and light and companionship."

With the last word resonating in your ears, one cannot help but notice that it appears as though Draconus is lonesome and is yearning for you to speak more to him.

"I know little of this part of the temple, but I do know this - there is another level below this one. That is where the power is. Waiting...Growing...Preparing to reemerge and summon the Chaos Lords again. Luckily, the lower level is warded by powerful enchantments. There is only one way to get below, a key. Here is part of that key." Draconus gestures, and a small quartz arrow appears on the table. It looks like the one given to Sir Frinceleb earlier. "May it serve you well. Find the rest of the key. Join the parts together. Go below. Armed with your courage, find the spells needed to crush this place. Find the source of power. Cleanse it. Only then can I be truly free. Yet let me caution you not to be too greedy here. The Lords of Chaos left behind much wealth and magic. Be careful what you take."

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-04, 04:43 AM
Discomfiture from the cold aside, this old spirit seems to be a veritable font of obscure knowledge. Keeping a respectful distance, Laertius leans on his staff and settles down to indulge his curiosity.

Hm. Do you mean that the treasures here are dangerous somehow, or that we should not allow ourselves to become distracted? Without actually pausing long enough to get an answer, Laertius continues. And forgive me for prying, but I find your story absolutely fascinating. What was your part in the destruction of this temple? You must have been a great enemy of the Lord of Chaos for them to go to such trouble binding you here...

Noticing that the dwarf is continuing to grow bluer, Laertius adds, Would you be offended if my companions waited outside the room? I think the chill in here disagrees with them.

Darius
2009-08-04, 09:14 AM
Draconus leans forward without revealing his face, but Laertius can tell that the spirit magi is very interested in the questions and banter. He can tell that the spirit must be smiling, for his voice is warm when he speaks, "I can see why you were summoned here, for your are as perceptive as well as wise. You would have seen the threat posed by this Shrine had you been among us then. I think you know the answer to your first question. As for your second, I was a mere blade, if you will, among the arsenal of Lawfulness. I am afraid I wasn't able to cut as deep as I had hoped. Chaos is an enemy difficult to predict or understand, that was my undoing. My own pride was my downfall. The Lords of Chaos are an enemy beyond me then, and now."

At Laertius' last request, Draconus' voice takes a sad tone. "Yes, yes, I understand. You may all take your leave, but I beseach you, do an old man a favor and perhaps could you part with a tomb or book for me to read? I have read each of these through so many times, that I have committed them all to memory."

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-04, 03:58 PM
Laertius hesitates, and it's clear that he had more questions that he wanted to ask. Nevertheless he reaches into the leather case where he keeps his spellbook and pulls out a smaller, leatherbound volume with very fine pages. He respectfully puts it on the table and picks up the quartz arrow. I don't have anything academic with me at the moment, but you might find this more interesting, given your confinement. It's the journal I kept during my adventures south to the Jungle of Amedio. I had thought to publish it on returning to Greyhawk, but I was told that I spent too much time translating the writing on the ruins and not enough time killing savages. He can't stop himself from asking another question. I say, are there any others trapped here that you know of?

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-04, 04:06 PM
Val struggles with the warding, frowning in anger behind his mask at not being able to enter the room. He ponders attempting to blow his way in, tearing down the wards, when the ghostly figure appears. He stands his ground, watching quietly as him and the wizard speak. As the issue of leaving a token behind comes up, he reaches into his garments and pulls out a sealed scroll.

"I cannot enter the room... and while I believe you might find this writing interesting, I will not give it to you unless I may pass inside, and something is exchanged between us." Val'dikar hated not being able to go somewhere... it was a slight against him. He stood there quietly.

Darius
2009-08-04, 07:50 PM
Draconus' voice elevates in tone from somber to gleeful, "Oh, this I will treasure. My thanks." When Val speaks, still the spirit keeps his face covered and says, "I wish that I could lower the wards, for even the most powerful magics that keep me here keep out...others." The last word spoken has an unusual timber to it, but Draconus continues and says, "Yes, there may well be more here, but I doubt any that would know me or I they. I sensed earlier a different and strong lawful presence unlike that of your two friends suffering from the effects of the Chaos Lords. Though either their strong stubborness or piety grants them passage here, they have suffered too much at my expense. Worry not, friends of Laertius, your strength shall return as it has left you once you leave this accursed room."

Othello
2009-08-05, 10:42 AM
The sight of a cloaked man is not an unusual thing, especially deep in the woods, like this man was now. He was on foot, trodding through the overgrowth. It wasn't his favorite place to be walking, but the road to the eastern parts of Greyhawk was to filled with placid travelers and weary salesmen. Plus, Ketsueki believe that as some one who wasn't native to this land, shouldn't have to pay all the tariffs and taxes everytime he passed a border.

"Northeners..." he whispers ever so slightly in his home tongue. He missed his homeland, that was undeniable, but he knew that is was no place he could return, not until he could find a way to take back his own country. He shook his head, mostly at his own introspective thoughts, then quickly perked his head up as he heard a scream coming through the woods. He quickly ducks down, and thumbs the handle of his katana. He could feel the smooth lacings wrapped around the handle give gentle comfort beneath his finger, his blade was something he could always count on to be there. His mind, no longer filled with idle thoughts, raced in several different directions about what to do. Quickly he darts through the woods towards the scream he heard. Upon coming to the opening with the lake and ruins, he stops at the shore.

He can see across the lake to the ruins, and notices some of the fallen symbols. He recognizes them, knowing that look like the Dwarf work he had seen in the north several years ago. He does not know what the symbols mean, or what god they represent. He lets out a quick shot across the water. "Hai! Anyone? Show yourself!

Darius
2009-08-05, 01:03 PM
For Val (Forgotten):

Sorry about that...I saw the 'post roll' part and didn't realize your rolls were below. You pry the stones from one of the steps with a dextrous hand, and you can actually feel warmth like that of a living thing and see a glow coming from within that is not lost when removed from the stair. Val knows that each of the stones that are clearly magnificent would net over 5000gp to the right buyer.

ooc: Does he want to pry all 10?

ic: As Val sets off on his work, his keen elven ears pick up a shout from atop the stair. The distance and rolling echo indicate that it must be coming from across the lake. It sounded like a man in common saying, "Hail. Anyone. Show yourself."

Then, he hears the chilling sound of many-voiced inhuman screams (ooc: if you saw I am Legend...that is the sound.)

For Ketsueki (Othello):

Travel through the dwarven mountains has been interesting to say the least, for normally the Korobuki of the North do not take kindly to intrusions. However, Ketsueki has found no one...not a soul barring his passage as if the cold and barren landscape has swallowed every living thing. His horse takes him to the edge of a lake, and it knickers - sensing something is not right. The ronin's own senses, trained by the years of dealing with bandits and ninja, perk up. Then, like a wave, many figures stand from behind the rocky cairns - a score in all. Their gray pallor and foaming maws are a clear indication to the warrior that these are no longer living souls, but that of the undead in search to feed upon the flesh of those buried beneath the dwarven graves. Ketsueki quickly takes stock of the situation...a score of them. They let out a shrill cry (if you saw I am Legend...that is the scream) and quickly clamber over the rocks - some on all four at times - in search of fresh flesh.

ooc: Please roll initiative.

[roll0]
[roll1]

As the party moves to leave, an inhuman cacophony echoes across the lake and down the stairs.

ooc: If any of you have seen the movie, I am Legend, that is the sound of the screams you hear. I will most likely need initiative from you all.

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-05, 03:55 PM
Still chatting with the spirit, Laertius turns as he hears the chorus of shrieks and quickly excuses himself, running out the door of the room and trying to determine where the cries are coming from. Rhun? Val? Where is it coming from?

Darius
2009-08-05, 04:06 PM
"S-s-sounds like it be ac-c-cross th' lake," Rhun says shivering through blue lips. With wooden legs, the dwarf goes up the stairs with the rest of the party members. Atop the Shrine, the group spies a lone man atop horse facing a score of what appear to be undead with skin pale in the sunlight scrambling over the cairns advancing to feast upon the flesh of man and beast. "G-g-ghouls," the dwarf spits out like a curse as he squints to see across the lake. "Grab ahold o'me, we'll be there in nay time."

Othello
2009-08-05, 06:16 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Ketseuki slips his long katana out of it's sheath and holds the blade tip down. A small glint of light can be seen running along the razor sharp blade, dancing up and down as he steadies his blade into position. He merely stands, and does nothing else, waiting until the enemy moves closer.

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-05, 08:46 PM
Laertius grips the dwarf's shoulder with his free hand, holding his staff tightly with the other. He squints across the lake, trying to determine what manner of undead these might be.

[roll0]

Rating is 15.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-05, 10:11 PM
OOC: Val'dikar will pry up all the gems.

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

[roll0]

----

Val'dikar frowns as he looks up, upon hearing the noise. Quickly he scampers up the steps, the various talismans around his body jingling with his pace as he casts his gaze out across the lake and views the undead raising up*. As the others crowd the dwarf, Val'dikar gives a short whistle, and his steed races over next to him, where he quickly mounts up. The horse trots out onto the waters surface half-way between the lake and the land, finding it to be a safe and defensible position, as Val'dikar pulls out his bow and readies arrows.

----

*- Knowledge about this Undead.

[roll1]

Darius
2009-08-06, 01:09 AM
Val'dikar races up the steps and whistles. He vaults himself off the side of the Shrine's roof onto his waiting phantom mount. Noiselessly, the spectral horse glides across the still waters at a full gallop, the elf produces his bow and draws forth two arrows from his quiver. He knows that he will be able to get a few shots off before the ghouls get to the lone horseman - plus, he sees that there are so many of them, that there are enough targets to go around.

In a matter of seconds, the ghouls set upon the horse and bring it down around the strangely armored swordsman. The steed has little time to even make a sound as the many clawed hands and teeth shred it to pieces. The others surround Ketsueki and attack.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]

[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]
[roll16] [roll17]

[roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21]
[roll22] [roll23]

[roll24] [roll25]
[roll26] [roll27]
[roll28] [roll29]

[roll30] [roll31]
[roll32] [roll33]
[roll34] [roll35]

ooc: 4 damage and 2 saves vs. paralysis for Ket

ic: Rhun speaks the words of magic and suddenly he and those touching him are instantly transported to the other side atop a cairn a short distance from the overwhelmed lone figure.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-06, 01:39 AM
OOC: Do I get anything on the Religion Check?

Spells Currently Active:

-Deeppockets
-Armor
-Invisible Mail
-Stoneskin
-Phantom Steed
-Avoidance (Clothing)
-Strength
-Cat's Grace

-----

Val'dikar launches several arrows in rapid success, strifing his shots to get maximum range as he seeks to cut a few of the undead down before they reach the man, though he knows it's a futile effort. As the others teleported ot the mainland, he maintained his superior position, preparing for the battle to come.

[roll0] - [roll1]
[roll2] - [roll3]

[roll4] - [roll5]
[roll6] - [roll7]

[roll8] - [roll9]
[roll10] - [roll11]

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-06, 05:58 AM
[roll0]

I'm going to decide Laertius' actions before seeing the results of his Religion check, even though I may regret it later. If they're the same kind of zombies as before, for example, this is going to look really stupid. :smallamused:

Letting go of the dwarf's armored shoulder, Laertius lifts his staff and free hand over his head and speaks a short phrase in the language of magic, gathering the power of the elements into an arcing sphere between his hands. With a final word he brings it down and unleashes a blast of lightning as thick as an oak tree right into the midst of the zombies that're crowded around the horse.

One of my personal favorites, Lightning Bolt. Not so good indoors, but awesome outside!

Going for the 10' wide, 40' long version so as to catch all of them (if possible).

Save vs spell for half: [roll1]

Othello
2009-08-06, 08:04 AM
Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ketsueki deftly maneuvers with the screaming ghouls, trying his best to knock back the blows of the new monsters. This isn't the first time he has fought the undead, but the speed of these ones seemed like it was more than any other he had encountered. He quickly rolls backwards and springs up, slicing with his blade at the closest ghoul;

Attack Roll: [roll0] Dmg: [roll1]

If that ghoul falls he moves to the next, stabbing into it's stomach with his razor sharp sword;

Attack Roll: [roll2] Dmg: [roll3]

And his final attack, he swings straight at the head of the ghoul to his right, aiming to swiftly decapitate him;

Attack Roll: [roll4] Dmg: [roll5]

Othello
2009-08-06, 08:05 AM
OOC: Sorry for the rolls.

Othello
2009-08-06, 08:07 AM
OOC: I apologize I don't know why I can't get this to work.

Darius
2009-08-06, 10:52 PM
ooc:

A few things:

#1: For my Religion checkers. Perhaps you both haven't noticed while reading the thread, but the word 'GHOUL' came up several times :smallannoyed: That aside, since your characters are high level and most likely haven't adventured in some dream world only to wake up just now, you have faced these creatures many times and know about their paralysis, undead traits, yadda-yadda. Now, if these are a 'special' type of ghoul - that is to be determined.

#2 Since Laertius waited for phase 8 (Rhun's) to be teleported over, his action will need to go off then. Unfortunately, the ghouls would reach the samurai well before that time and what happened above happened. However, once he is across, it would be easy for Laertius to pop off his lightning bolt and get all of the ghouls (and the unknown warrior since they are all around him).

This brings me to my last item...

#3 Othello - before your attacks can take effect, I will need 3 successful saves vs. Paralysis or your character will be...um...paralyzed. If that happens, bad things (namely, same thing that happened to your horse will start to happen to your character in the feeding frenzy that would ultimately result.) Also, in the event that you are not paralyzed and Laertius still lightning bolts the area, you will want to roll a fourth save...this time vs. Spell.

Once #2 and #3 have been resolved, the game will resume.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-06, 11:42 PM
OOC: Going to resolve my arrow shots? You didn't say how many I could get off, so I just made a few.

As for my Religion Check? I realize you are saying 'Ghoul'. However... that's your character saying something. That is not an definitive statement. You can't expect us to take everything your character says as straight fact and leave it at that. My character has his own knowledge to draw off of... hence, me rolling Religion. Now... had you posted as a GM saying that I recognized Ghouls, and if I wanted any further information besides the norm I needed to roll, then there you go.

Sorry... but that's the way it's panned out here.

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-07, 05:49 AM
In a matter of seconds, the ghouls set upon the horse and bring it down around the strangely armored swordsman. The steed has little time to even make a sound as the many clawed hands and teeth shred it to pieces. The others surround Ketsueki and attack.

I said I was blasting the ones who attacked the horse. If there actually aren't two groups, that'll change things.

Also, I don't appreciate the implication that we were being stupid or inattentive when we asked for the results of a skill check. This is supposed to be a fun, cooperative pastime. It is a basic requirement that you be polite and respectful to the people you're playing with.

Othello
2009-08-07, 07:17 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: OOC: Shouldn't it only be two saves? Also, I specifically stated that I was on foot, and never mentioned my horse being with me. I hate to mess things up, but I intentionally didn't have my horse with my character.

Darius
2009-08-08, 03:29 PM
Edit: OOC: Shouldn't it only be two saves? Also, I specifically stated that I was on foot, and never mentioned my horse being with me. I hate to mess things up, but I intentionally didn't have my horse with my character.

You are correct - only two saves needed (I was thinking a third save if Laertius blasted the lot with a lightning bolt).

As for the horse, I noted that your character was on foot in your first post, but I figured he was leading it through the rocky terrain or somesuch since it was on your character sheet. If you don't want it along, fine. However, it did take the brunt of the ghoul attacks.

Finally, since your character is now paralyzed, this would be a bad situation.

As for this...

Val'dikar races up the steps and whistles. He vaults himself off the side of the Shrine's roof onto his waiting phantom mount. Noiselessly, the spectral horse glides across the still waters at a full gallop, the elf produces his bow and draws forth two arrows from his quiver. He knows that he will be able to get a few shots off before the ghouls get to the lone horseman - plus, he sees that there are so many of them, that there are enough targets to go around.

I thought it was clear that everyone understood ghouls were involved when Othello's post solidified my assumption from the 'DM' post above when he posted his character's actions:

Ketsueki deftly maneuvers with the screaming ghouls, trying his best to knock back the blows of the new monsters. This isn't the first time he has fought the undead, but the speed of these ones seemed like it was more than any other he had encountered. He quickly rolls backwards and springs up, slicing with his blade at the closest ghoul;

If that ghoul falls he moves to the next, stabbing into it's stomach with his razor sharp sword;

And his final attack, he swings straight at the head of the ghoul to his right, aiming to swiftly decapitate him;

No implication of stupidity was said in my post, only 'innattentiveness', I suppose. Othello got the message from the above "DM" post when he posted his character's actions:

As for this passtime not being fun nor cooperative, I know not what you speak. Here I took up the mantle of DM when we were 'abandoned' - for childbirth of all things :smallwink: and started up a game using the characters made keeping the cleric I made to play as an NPC for healing and story-line support so Vox could play the mage he wanted to instead of his druid. I am not looking for any awards or favors or whatever, but keep that in mind. Not only that, but a daily average of posting rate has been maintained by me (with more than simple rolls or one-line posts, mind you), and the story has been moved along at a steady pace. If anyone else would rather DM to show me how to make the game more fun or cooperative, be my guest. However, I have been nothing but polite and respectful to all of you, but if you feel to the contrary or if you are not having fun or feel that this thread is not a cooperative environment to pass one's time, it is your right to do what you feel necessary. If you do decide you would like to leave, please let me know so I can write your character out of the game.

If you do decide to stay, I would request that one understand that this is not my ideal method of DMing (I am a table-topper), and I have found that translation of intent of what is written is often different than that which is intended because tone, inflection, body language, etc... is not conveyed. I use e-motes (like the above one in regards to Othello's more than acceptable paternity leave) in an attempt to indicate some form of visual humor. In addition, I would request that if we are to be cooperative, that we all work to make this game fun instead of putting the brunt of the 'entertainment' on the shoulders of the GM and then criticize when one could be as much as fault. If you want to make something fun, then take an active part to do so yourself.

As a FYI, Frandal PMed me to tell me he is on vacation at the moment, and I will NPC his character.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-08, 08:46 PM
OOC

I use the word 'ghoul' a lot as an adjective. Sorry. I prefer a straight pointed answer to some things... and while description is nice and appreciated, it can sometimes cause misconceptions.

Anywho... back on with the game?

1) Did my Religion Check turn up anymore about the Ghouls then I already know?

2) Did I hit/kill anything with my shots?

Vox Clamantis
2009-08-09, 02:41 PM
Darius, I appreciate that you picked up the game. I still don't like your attitude. It bothers me. I'm not in the habit of keeping games where people feel entitled to be impolite, therefore I'm dropping. Have Laertius die in whatever gruesome manner feels appropriate.

Darius
2009-08-09, 11:39 PM
Just as the lone armored figure stands to face the hoarde of undead, they are upon him - gnashing with teeth and unnaturally clawed hands. One drops with two elven fletched arrows sticking from its chest. However, it is clear that they have overpowered the man through sheer strength in numbers.

Knowing little other than these ghouls will make short work of a lone figure by overwhelming him and paralyzing him to feast upon him, Val springs into action - spurring his mount across the placid lake.

Just as Rhun transports himself and the human wizard to the cairn, the teeming mass of gray bodies begin to rip pieces of armor off of the swordsman to get to his tasty flesh. Thinking quickly, Laertius rubs amber to fur and speaks the words of magic that evokes a lightning bolt that blasts the entire group. The smell of ozone is joined by the sickening smell of charred flesh.

Just as Val arrives - putting a few shafts into the still moving blackened forms of the ghouls - Rhun races down the cairn as fast as his short legs can take him. With inhuman strength, he flings the bodies of the ghouls aside vowing, "Nay - no more shall die 'ere this day. Not as long as Rhun Half-thane draws breath!"

A singed and bloody pulp is lifted up by the dwarf who conjures the most powerful healing magic in his arsenal. Val and Laertius stand in awe as the warrior's skin knits itself back together in a manner such that only a few scars remain ([roll0] hp damage not healed). Almond shaped eyes open as the human is pulled back from death's door. "Careful now, lad, ye still be amongst th' livin'."

If that is the way you feel, Vox, so be it. Sorry to see you go. If you reconsider, know you are welcome to rejoin as Laertius or a different character. If you would like to PM me with specific instances of how I was being 'impolite' or displayed 'attitude', feel free to do so; that way I can work on my communication skills to avoid a similar instance. Until then...may the road rise with you.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-10, 06:19 PM
Val'dikar trots over, once he realizes the danger has passed. He quietly checks the bodies of the ghouls, and the areas they came out of, before he moves over to the others. He remains silent as he watches the dwarf work. Inside he was impressed, and envious... yet he remained calm behind his mask.

Darius
2009-08-11, 11:41 PM
"You were very brave, stranger," Sir Frinceleb says helping the samurai to his feet. "I am Sir Frinceleb, paladin and scourge to the red dragon. Your savior with an 'electric' personality is Laertius, the masked bowman is Raven (ooc: or whatever name Val gave if different), and the dwarven cleric is Rhun Half-thane. There is strength in numbers, and you are welcome to join us. We are investigating the Shrine that apparantly appeared in the lake. The denizens had destroyed the dwarven protectors, and it appears we are all that are here to reset the balance."

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-12, 08:53 AM
OOC: The name is Raven.

Darius
2009-08-13, 11:26 PM
ooc: Hmmm...it seems as though we are at a stand-still here. Just posting that I am still here.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-14, 06:02 AM
Val'dikar ponders for a moment as he briefly looks the others over, "Half-Thane... while you tend to this man, I believe I shall venture back into the dungeons. Perhaps I might glean more information with a bit of scouting of my own." With that, he turned his mount, and headed back over to the island. He made his way back inside, and after shimmering under the effects of the invisibility illusion, and utilizing the shadows of the dark and dank place, started checking it out.

Darius
2009-08-14, 11:46 AM
Is Val going down the stairs or through the first way they came?

If down the stairs, following same path (North)?

If first way, checking out door first then down the hall?

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-14, 11:59 AM
Val will shake some stuff up, and check the door, then down the hall, looking at/for stuff along the way!

Darius
2009-08-14, 11:28 PM
Val crosses the lake and enters the way the party first came. He passes the room with the strange ju-ju zombies and listens again at the second door. It is quiet, so he checks for traps and finds none. Forcing his way inside with a good heave of his shoulder, he manages to push the slimey door in and looks around.

A five-foot-diameter sphere of webs hangs from the ceiling in the northeast corner in this fifteen-foot by ten-foot room (much like the first room was). The desiccated bones of many creatures litter the floor.

Forgotten T.S.
2009-08-15, 11:03 AM
If there are any other doors in this spider-webbed room, Val will make his way to them, and through them, being on the watch for Spiders, and taking extra special care not to touch any spider webbing.