PDA

View Full Version : Damn you insomnia.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-30, 09:18 PM
I've spent all of today moving house. Now admittedly my new house is only 10 mins walk away from my new one, but I had to do it by hand because I don't drive, I had to move not only my stuff, but my gf's too (moved in together :smallbiggrin:), and I had to do it in relatively oppressive heat.

I was absolutely shattered (read: exhausted), and assumed that I would sleep like a log.

And yet here it is, 3.21am and I'm reading every single thread on these here forums because I just can't get to sleep.

WHY Damn You!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :smallfrown:

Rhawin
2009-06-30, 09:24 PM
What I don't understand is why, when its so hard to sleep at night, one must fight it at other times, such as in class.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-30, 09:31 PM
What I don't understand is why, when its so hard to sleep at night, one must fight it at other times, such as in class.

Aaaaah sleepiness in class, my lifelong nemesis. I have to resit my second year in September because of just that (having spent last year unofficially caring for my gf didn't help), but because of some sadistic trait shared by all History lecturers everywhere, all of my classes start either at or before 9am. I'm acually planning on becoming one just to take out my anger on students of the future :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-06-30, 09:35 PM
So take a tape recorder to class, record some of the lecture and play it when you're trying to sleep. :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2009-06-30, 09:37 PM
My friend's planning on becoming a teacher of something (he never specified what) and making a test where all of the answers were a. He can be a sadistic person at times.

And yes, I've had nights where I couldn't sleep. I find the best thing to do is to lay on my bed with my eyes open and concentrate on what I can see.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-06-30, 09:38 PM
You know, that's actually a really good idea! I mean, I sleep through almost all my classes (still somehow manage to get straight A's), and yet have trouble falling to sleep other times, just play the sound of the teachers lectures! Brilliant!:smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-30, 09:54 PM
So take a tape recorder to class, record some of the lecture and play it when you're trying to sleep. :smalltongue:

Yet another quirk of my history department, unless you have a reason for needing one (disability or you have forewarned them with a legitimate reason for being away), tape recorders are not allowed as they lead to the tutors leading classes to a bunch of mic's and sleeping/absent students. Which for some unknown reason they have a problem with :smallbiggrin:

Also I've been listening to Michael Jackson's They Don't Really Care About Us on repeat for an hour now and my exhausted mind still hasn't tired of it. I'm actually a little scared now because I don't even like it that much normally.

reorith
2009-06-30, 10:14 PM
chew valerian root and get some exercise.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-30, 10:44 PM
melatonin is also a good over the counter sleep pill. getting on the computer will not help you get to sleep.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-30, 11:04 PM
melatonin is also a good over the counter sleep pill. getting on the computer will not help you get to sleep.

Very true. I wish I had a good reason for going online, but I really don't.

Meh, sun's coming up now. Pretty :smallsmile:

Lupy
2009-06-30, 11:35 PM
Melatonin saves my life regularly. Without it I would never get any sleep.

SilverSheriff
2009-07-01, 12:58 AM
I had those problems up until a week ago: I spent 38 hours awake, fell asleep at 9PM and woke up 10 hours later.:smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2009-07-01, 01:04 AM
getting on the computer will not help you get to sleep.I beg to differ. An hour two of hard writing makes me zonk out on even the most stubborn of nights.

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-01, 01:25 AM
I beg to differ. An hour two of hard writing makes me zonk out on even the most stubborn of nights.

Makes me wish I was the creative type.

2009-07-01, 05:43 AM
Yet another quirk of my history department, unless you have a reason for needing one (disability or you have forewarned them with a legitimate reason for being away), tape recorders are not allowed
i would say this qualifies as a good reason. explain your problem to a particularly boring professor and ask them to record a lecture, then, after tests on that material have been finished, give you the recording. or you could just consider that "against the rules" only really means anything if its wrong or someone catches you. you could also organize a legitimate reason for being away.

when i cant sleep in the heat i like to try cold green tea. but then thats just my personal brain-oddness.

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-01, 06:54 AM
i would say this qualifies as a good reason. explain your problem to a particularly boring professor and ask them to record a lecture, then, after tests on that material have been finished, give you the recording. or you could just consider that "against the rules" only really means anything if its wrong or someone catches you. you could also organize a legitimate reason for being away.

when i cant sleep in the heat i like to try cold green tea. but then thats just my personal brain-oddness.

Don't knock cold green tea, spent three weeks in Japan in the height of summer and I was constantly drinking the stuff.

Vizen
2009-07-01, 07:20 AM
I don't have insomnia. I just live in a different time zone. I've yet to figure out which time zone I live in, but I will when I put the effort towards finding out.

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-01, 08:23 AM
I don't have insomnia. I just live in a different time zone. I've yet to figure out which time zone I live in, but I will when I put the effort towards finding out.

By the Power of Wikipedia, you live in GMT+12, so when it was 3.21am and I made my first post, it was 3.21pm, meaning when you posted it was...tomorrow morning from here in England? Is that right?

Eldariel
2009-07-01, 08:34 AM
Watching some brainless TV program (such as sports) definitely does the trick for me. Heck, that's the only reason I even own a TV set anymore. Of course, might want to take this with a grain of salt as I find myself staying up overnight every now and then anyways (but those are mostly caused by running out of hours in the day).

Vizen
2009-07-01, 09:56 AM
By the Power of Wikipedia, you live in GMT+12, so when it was 3.21am and I made my first post, it was 3.21pm, meaning when you posted it was...tomorrow morning from here in England? Is that right?

Probably. I lost my ability to follow that train of thought when I stopped exercising my problem-solving abilities.

You follow a little bit of xkcd? This comic (http://www.xkcd.com/448/) is kind of what I think when I look at this thread.

RandomNPC
2009-07-03, 04:06 PM
XKCD for the win.

thats me exactly. i used to stay up till 2AM get up at 5AM, sleep on the bus, and sort of roboticly drift through my first two classes. then i graduated and got a decent job, and i'm up and awake before 5AM six days a week, let me tell ya, that 7th day is the best thing in the world.

also, this is not good for health, but if you have something important you need to be awake early for don't get much sleep two nights before, so on the night before you can get asleep early. Don't try it on something real important first though, test it out on something if you want to use this idea, everyones sleep schedual is different and you may not have as good results as i do.