PDA

View Full Version : Elite Ninja PrC

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-11, 10:15 PM
Ok, I've tried making races, and they all got shot down.... badly..... I have now tried a PrC. Now, already, there is a ninja base class, and a ninja spy PrC, and it's not that I don't like them so much as I think we could add on to them. So, here's my Elite Ninja PrC. Also, just to throw out there, I know the requirements are lacking, so any advice would be appreciated, as well as any ideas of other ninjutsu.

Elite Ninja PrC

Requirements:
Feats: Skill Focus (Move Silently)
Skills: Move Silently (8 ranks), Bluff (4 ranks), Disguise (4 ranks)
Special: Must have at least 1 level in ninja base class or ninja spy PrC

lv. BAB Fort. Ref. Will Special
1 +1 +0 +0 +2 ninjutsu
2 +2 +0 +0 +3
3 +3 +1 +1 +3 ninjutsu
4 +4 +1 +1 +4
5 +5 +1 +1 +4 ninjutsu
6 +6/+1 +2 +2 +5
7 +7/+2 +2 +2 +5 ninjutsu
8 +8/+3 +2 +2 +6
9 +9/+4 +3 +3 +6 ninjutsu
10 +10/+5 +3 +3 +7

Hit Die: d6

Abilities:
Ninjutsu: At first level and every odd level after that, an elite ninja has learned to control his ki energy well enough to form it in many ways. He chooses one of the following ninja abilities. All abilities are either Taijutsu (physical) or Kenjutsu (spiritual).

Water run (Kenjutsu): The Elite Ninja has learned to control his Ki (or Chakra) in a manner that lets him stand or run on liquids. He may run on water for rounds equal to his overall ninja levels (ninja base+elite ninja PrC+ninja spy PrC levels). This ability may only be used once a day per class level (only levels in this class)

Wall run (Taijutsu): The elite ninja is proficient in keeping his momentum up, running up or along side walls. The ninja may use this ability as often as they like, but fall from the wall when they have traveled the whole round.

Shadow Shuriken (Both): This ability takes an equal amount of physical and mental disapline, so this ability may only be obtained at 5th level (class) and above. The ninja is adept at throwing an additional small ranged weapon in the shadow of his first. I'm still contemplating the rest of this ability.

Shadow Clones (Kenjutsu): The ninja has learned how to focus his energy into creating illusions of himself, in order to aid in battle. These clones are not solid, and therefore, cannot actually attack enemies. This Kenjutsu is used only for trickery. The ninja may use this ability once a day for every 2 levels of overall ninja levels they have. The amount of Shadow clones created is equal to 1 for each class level. If a shadow is struck in combat, it instantly disappears.

Blood Clones (Kenjutsu): This ability may only be obtained at 5th level (class) or higher, after gaining the shadow clone Kenjutsu. Intead of creating clones of illusion, the replicants are actual flesh and blood. The amount created is 1 for every 3 class levels. All of the ninja's stats are split equally for each of the clones (BAB, saves, skills etc. not ability scores and modifiers). When a Blood clone is killed in battle, they disappear, and the origenal gains all of his stats put into that clone. He still keeps all damage that the clone took, after his hp get added again.

Oh, 1 thing I forgot to mention before. I'm still working on what class skills are for him.

Darkie
2006-01-11, 10:35 PM
I don't know about the other abilities, but I say tie this class into th eNinja class proper. Make wall running and water walking an extension of their ki abilities, perhaps. Add in ki progression, I think.

So long as they have ki remaining, they can spend part of their movement on a verticle surface, or a liquid. So long as they end their move on flat, stable terrain (that is, normal terrain) they have no problems. If they want to do it for more than 1 round, it's 1 ki per round.

I dunno, it just seems a better idea than just a straight "number of rounds per day" thing.

starwoof
2006-01-11, 10:35 PM
So um...watch any Naruto recently?

I think the wall running ability could be worded better. Like: When the ninja uses wall run he/she falls if the move is ended on a horizontal surface.

Edit: Crap, Jeff made me sound dumb.

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-11, 11:19 PM
yeah, I watch and read Naruto all the time, kinda what gave me the idea. Hmm..... I really like your idea of ki progression, Jeff. Ha. I spoke my own name talking to someone else. Ha. I like your idea, if anyone else can think of something, feel free to post.

Gralamin
2006-01-11, 11:34 PM
i would sugesst making it so you get it at 2nd level and then every even level thereafter, that way you don't take 9, say "I got all the good abilities, lets take this other class!"

Jothki
2006-01-12, 03:39 AM
Would the Blood Clones actually be any good?

starwoof
2006-01-12, 04:28 AM
By what I can glean of the blood clones fromthe description, their half as powerful as you if theres 2, a third as powerful if 3, and so on. So I think like, they have half your hp, half your BAB, and so on.

That or Im completely wrong.

The Glyphstone
2006-01-12, 07:02 AM
Geez, I read it completely differently...I got the assumption that you were considered one of the "clones" for splitting...so a Str 14 Ninja would Clone into 2 Str 7 ninjas, or 3 Str 5 ninjas...it seemed useless, so I must have been wrong.

USeful Input:
If you want levels in Ninja to be required, just say "special: Sudden Strike 1d6 or better". That mandates a level in Ninja at least, and doesn't break the precedent of not requiring levels in a specific class as a prerequisite.

For the clones, perhaps use the Similucrum (sp?) spell as a base.

The_Beast_Rabban
2006-01-12, 07:52 AM
Interesting idea for the Shadow Clones but think the Blood Clones needs alot of work yet.

At present it would seem that you are really weakening your own character in order to create them. Splitting HP equally between all the clones and yourself and not regaining them when the clone is killed!! Personally I wouldn't want to use that ability very often.

What about the clones created are of, say, (2 x number of clones) + 2 levels below the PC and the PC takes a certain HP reduction (maybe 10HP?) per clone. When the clone is killed the PC regains half the HP reduction back.

So a 10th level Ninja could create 1 6th lvl or 2 4th lvl or 3 2nd lvl clones.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-12, 08:50 AM
Naruto, eh? Was watching that during the holidays. Action-packed shinobi goodness! Pity I'm not allowed to watch now that school has started........

If you really want to, you could add some of the abilities from Naruto in, as long as it would translate well. But make them have prerequisites (not just ninjutsu progression, but also stuff like stat reqs, skill ranks, BAB etc.).

And make sure that it fits the flavor of the PRC.

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-12, 11:35 AM
Yeah, Starwoof got my bloodclones right. Basically, all your stats, except your abilities (str, dex, etc.) are reduced. Basically, its mainly for maintaining numbers, and flanking. Yes, you are considered one of the clones. Yeah, I know it needs work, but I posted it anyways, to see how everyone would react.

ivanmckilliagin
2006-01-12, 04:12 PM
Hey, for the shadow shuri, have it so that they roll seperate attacks, with the one in the shadow getting a +2 to hit. If the Shadow hits, it counts as a sudden strike. Sounds nice to me. give it either 1 ki/use or #use/day.

Other cool naruto things... hmm... maybe the sharingan. how could we work that?... maybe:

Eye of the Dragon(Ken-jutsu)
You can see your opponents moves before they make them.
Effect: Choose one- a bonus on your next attack equal to your class level, a dodge bonus to your ac equal to your class level, or lose you flat-footed staus. These effects last for one round, are instantaneous actions(they can be used when its not your turn) and cost one ki point each. you may only use the Eye a # of times/day equal to your class level.

There, Thats alrite. what do you think?

BTW, i think that this class should get some +d6 progression, either SS or SA, to fit the ninja theme.

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-12, 07:01 PM
Yeah, um... I just got the idea from naruto, I'm not doing a complete knockoff. I'm currently changing it to encorporate ki points. Probly going to give them 1d20 each level.

ivanmckilliagin
2006-01-12, 09:07 PM
hmm, i think that the other ninjas get a set #/level. Didnt know you weren't doing a complete rip, but the idea is still a good one, incorperates a great many things that a ninja needs, (offense, defense, strategy) and what about the Sudden strike progression? shouldnt they get that?

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-12, 10:16 PM
Other cool naruto things... hmm... maybe the sharingan. how could we work that?... maybe:

Eye of the Dragon(Ken-jutsu)
You can see your opponents moves before they make them.
Effect: Choose one- a bonus on your next attack equal to your class level, a dodge bonus to your ac equal to your class level, or lose you flat-footed staus. These effects last for one round, are instantaneous actions(they can be used when its not your turn) and cost one ki point each. you may only use the Eye a # of times/day equal to your class level.

There, Thats alrite. what do you think?

Sharingan also allowed the user to copy another person's ninja techniques, although integrating that into D&D would be kinda broken........

Back on topic. Other stuff you could integrate from Naruto........how about that ability that Rock Lee had (can't recall the name; the ability he used in the Chuunin exams against Gaara.)?

Power Boost (Both)

This ability requires a lot of physical and mental discipline, and may only be taken at 7th class level and above.

With this ability, the Elite Ninja can give himself a temporary, powerful boost in offensive power and speed. This ability is a double-edged sword, though, and thus it should be used wisely.

The Elite Ninja gains a temporary boost to his Strength, Dexterity and Constitution scores equal to his class level (gaining temporary hit points as appropriate to his new Con modifier), gets a 10 foot boost to his movement speed, and acts as though under the effect of a haste spell for the duration of the boost. These effects last for a number of rounds equal to 3+the Elite Ninja's improved Con modifier. This ability can be ended voluntarily after a minimum of 3 rounds.

Once the abiilty wears off, the Elite Ninja becomes exhausted, takes Constitution damage equal to 3 + the number of rounds spent using the ability (no save), and is unable to use any ki abilities for the next hour.

This ability drains 5 ki points per round, and is usable once a day only.

Notes: This ability is meant to be such that overuse would be extremely lethal. It is meant to make the Elite Ninja a temporary berserker in one fight, making him close to useless afterwards.

Just my 2 yen. ;D

Darkie
2006-01-13, 12:49 AM
Sharingan also allowed the user to copy another person's ninja techniques, although integrating that into D&D would be kinda broken........
Now now, it takes someone like the copy ninja, or maybe Sasuke to actually be able to copy on the fly. You not only have to see it, you have to be able to learn it, and do it. That's what Kakashi is the Copy Ninja, not every member of the Uchiha clan.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-13, 04:24 AM
Wonder how Kakashi got his Sharingan anyway........

(WARNING: I haven't watched all the episodes yet; if you spoil that for me, I will kidnap you, and boil you alive in a vat of double espresso........)

Back on topic. What ninja_kitsune wanted here was something inspired by Naruto, not a total ripoff. Some of the abilities can be adapted/cloned into D&D, but not all of them; they're either too broken, or they don't fit the mechanics.

Darkie
2006-01-13, 04:29 AM
How could you not be up to date with Naruto? The manga's off god knows where, and the anime's been filler for like half a year now...

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-13, 06:07 AM
Was watching via DVD during the holidays; but now that school's started, I've been denied access to the disks, and I'm too lazy/busy with schoolwork to hunt for them online for download.

Moving back onto topic (this thread is about a Naruto-inspired PrC, NOT the anime series itself), what other abilities do you think would fit in?

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-13, 11:30 AM
[snip]
Moving back onto topic (this thread is about a Naruto-inspired PrC, NOT the anime series itself), what other abilities do you think would fit in?

Thank You! It's about ime my thread got back to the point. Ok, I've been thinking that at each level, the Elite Ninja would gain 1d20 ki points to use, how does that sound? Also, SSZ, I like your idea of what Rock used, I think I'll call it "Adrenaline Burst"

The Glyphstone
2006-01-13, 11:37 AM
1d20/level? Geez...the typical ninja Ki pool is, I believe, Ninja level+Wis modifier. Just say that Elite Ninja levels stack with Ninja levels for the total Ki pool.

ivanmckilliagin
2006-01-13, 11:48 AM
Well. IMO, it needs sudden strike progression. thats what drives rogues, bonus d6. the shadow shruken modification i posted would be a good one, and the blood clones need clarification.

New stuff to add... lemme think... maybe some disguise stuff... Ok here:

A Thousand Masks (Ken-jutsu)
If you spend three full rounds studing a person in action, you can then take one minute to craft a mask out of shadow and fog. this mask lasts for a minute/class level. Once you put on the mask, you are affected by an alter self spell caster level=class level, limited to the person you studied. you also gain the benefits of speaking exactly how the target spoke(this doesn't teach you new languages). you can use this for one ki/3 rounds.

hmm, maybe something else...

Here's one

Hide in Shadows (Ken-jutsu)
You create a small rift to the Plane of Shadow, letting some of it out, and letting some of you in.
Effect: With the gap to the Plane of Shadow open, you can step through partially. You are treated as having concealment (20% miss) alternatively, you can let some shadow out, bathing everything within 15 feet of you in shadows. everyone(except the elite ninja) is blind, and have full concealment to those outside the shadows. Lastly, you can opt for a mix of the two. by opening the rift below you, can can effectively become a shadow on the ground. you can move at 3/4 speed, but are silent and can only been seen with a DC 45.(DC 15 if you're obvious, ie. a shadow on the street at high noon) these take 2 ki/round

whew, what do you think?

ivanmckilliagin
2006-01-13, 11:54 AM
i agree with the_glyphstone, have it stack. You should do something to make it more elite though, maybe this: Move ninjusu class features to even levels, and have a level one abiltie, "Elite training" that gives you bonus ki based on what level Elite ninja you are. so your ki progression would look like this:

ninja 5/ elite ninja 1 -- ki pool equals 6+1+wis
ninja 5/ elite ninja 4 -- ki pool equals 9+4+wis
etc...

Since every one of the elite's class abilities are based off this, i think it would be a good idea.

The pre-reqs need some work. you should change the required class thing to sudden strike, so you dont name classes(in case another ninja comes around later)

otherwise this looks great. im going to see if my next dm will let me take this class.

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-13, 12:00 PM
Ok, Glypfstone, I had no idea there was already a ki progression, so can someone here clarify that for me?

ivanmckilliagin
2006-01-13, 12:07 PM
He already did, it's Class level + wis. :-X

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-13, 12:24 PM
Ok, Ivan? I've been trying to make tecniques other than what ninja and ninja spy have, so your hide in shadows is out. Sure, there not EXACTLY the same, but pretty close. Oh, and when I said to clarify it, I meant, like, where is it found.

The Glyphstone
2006-01-13, 08:03 PM
Page 8 of Complete Adventurer, in the Ninja class description, under Ki Power (Su). And looking at it, it's actually 1/2 your class level plus your Wis modifier.

Making Elite Ninja levels stack with regular ninja levels for this is good, since the only things a regular ninja can do with Ki is turn invisible for 1 round (2nd level). gain concealment for 1 round (6th level), re-roll misses against incorporeals (8th level) and better versions of these powers at 18th and 20th level. Give the Elite Ninja a handful of more combat-oriented Ki powers, and have the levels stack, and you should be good.