PDA

View Full Version : Oots is like the beatles

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-07-01, 06:58 AM
Anyone notice how as OOTS evolves, it moves over different grounds, just as the beatles(Or many other bands, like the temptations)covered different genres. Oots keeps evolving making it a deep, involving webcomic. Just want to know your thoughts.

Waggy
2009-07-01, 07:22 AM
Well yes, obviously the strip has evolved, both in art quality and story. It used to be a gag a day strip about 3.5 edition but has become a sweeping tale with characters we truly care about. Not bad for a sitck figure comedy webcomic.

Meg
2009-07-01, 07:28 AM
Well, I don't like The Beatles, but I love OOTS. But yes, a sweeping epic's not bad for a bunch of stick figures.

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-01, 07:55 AM
I thought this was going to be some analogy about Roy being Brian Epstein and his death caused the group to eventually fragment without his guiding hands.

But OP's analogy works too.

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-01, 08:37 AM
I loved Belkar's psychedelic period... free love , Man!

:smallsmile:

Deuce
2009-07-01, 08:37 AM
Plus, it's just not the same if one of the members is dead.

(edit)
On the plus side, that's far more fixable for OotS then the Beatles.

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-01, 09:06 AM
Miko was this close to being Yoko...

Morquard
2009-07-01, 09:22 AM
I really hope the OOtS crew never decides to go outside their genre and record a CD

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-01, 09:38 AM
Well, that would explain why I saw OotS in Hamburg several years ago...:smalltongue:

zillion ninjas
2009-07-01, 12:13 PM
I blame Cerebus (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0242.html).

Morty
2009-07-01, 12:51 PM
Yes, OoTS is like The Beatles... or like any other band that covered different music genres over the course of their career, as you said yourself.
Oh, well. At least noone's comparing OoTS to anime this time.

Zeful
2009-07-01, 12:59 PM
Yes, OoTS is like The Beatles... or like any other band that covered different music genres over their career, like you mentioned yourself.
Oh, well. At least noone's comparing OoTS to anime this time.

lol, liek oots is so animu

There someone did it.

ref
2009-07-01, 02:43 PM
Well, a while ago I managed to make a comparison of Miko to Jesus, and it worked. How's that for a challenge?

Bibliomancer
2009-07-01, 02:56 PM
In this hypothetical comparison, why didn't Miko rise from the dead? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html)

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-01, 03:18 PM
Well, a while ago I managed to make a comparison of Miko to Jesus, and it worked. How's that for a challenge?

" In today's news, local churches have scheduled bonfires so outraged parishioners can burn their OOTS books...."

:smalltongue:

Ted The Bug
2009-07-01, 04:11 PM
That's impossible, I like OotS.

Pulsecode
2009-07-01, 06:51 PM
So... it's like the Beatles because it is not the same as it was when it started...?

In that case it's also like dogs, dead bodies, fine wine and moon rockets.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-01, 07:50 PM
Analogy fails. OotS is more popular in the U.S. than the U.K.

At least, comparing to them to the Beatles as a whole. The OP's point stands fine on its own in a vacuum. :op

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-01, 10:50 PM
:roy: - "The Cheeky One"
:elan: - "The Cute One"
:durkon: - "The Quiet One"
:belkar:- "The Short One"

:miko:- Yoko
:haley:- Linda
:vaarsuvius:- Brian Epstein

JonahFalcon
2009-07-02, 02:19 AM
:roach: : What about me?

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-02, 02:57 AM
:roach: : What about me?
Okay, you can be George Martin.

Asta Kask
2009-07-02, 04:31 AM
Does this mean that there's a huge conspiracy to cover up that one of the character's died early on?

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-02, 10:50 AM
Does this mean that there's a huge conspiracy to cover up that one of the character's died early on?

Well, if you notice, Belkar's character is the only character to walk barefoot...

Asta Kask
2009-07-02, 11:49 AM
Well, if you notice, Belkar's character is the only character to walk barefoot...

True. And he's not acting like the old Belkar. And he had a prophecy that he would die in the near future.

I think we may be on to something here.

zillion ninjas
2009-07-02, 01:12 PM
:durkon: - "The Quiet One"

What, Sir Clanksalot? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html) :smallconfused: Or was that one meant to be ironic?

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-02, 01:32 PM
What, Sir Clanksalot? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html) :smallconfused: Or was that one meant to be ironic?

No, I just meant that people complain that Durkin is always in the background, and that his own teamates know little about him. Of course, I could have said "The Religious One" instead.

zillion ninjas
2009-07-02, 02:05 PM
Ok, so maybe "The Bland (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html) One", then?

Spending waaay too much time in the archives, lately...

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-02, 02:47 PM
True. And he's not acting like the old Belkar. And he had a prophecy that he would die in the near future.

I think we may be on to something here.

AND... if you read OOTS backwards, you get STOO...which points out that the new Belkar can't cook stew while the old Belkar could! :smalleek:

abishur
2009-07-02, 02:55 PM
Anyone notice how as OOTS evolves, it moves over different grounds, just as the beatles(Or many other bands, like the temptations)covered different genres. Oots keeps evolving making it a deep, involving webcomic. Just want to know your thoughts.

Well to be fair, the same could be said for any successful comic, book, or TV series (or at least one with a running theme and not just a collection of one shots like... I dunno Ducktails or Rescue Rangers). Comparing it the beetles might be more accurate if the comic became hugely popular with people of different genres :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-03, 10:31 AM
:haley: " Your lovin' give me a thrill
But your lovin' don't pay my bill.
Now gimme money (that's what I want)"

:elan: "I'll give you all I got to give if you say you'll love me too
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love"

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-07-03, 08:08 PM
I thought this was going to be some analogy about Roy being Brian Epstein and his death caused the group to eventually fragment without his guiding hands.

But OP's analogy works too.

...that works too.

PS roy is gay??? Oh wait i already knew that :)

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-07-03, 08:14 PM
Well to be fair, the same could be said for any successful comic, book, or TV series (or at least one with a running theme and not just a collection of one shots like... I dunno Ducktails or Rescue Rangers). Comparing it the beetles might be more accurate if the comic became hugely popular with people of different genres :smallwink:

Im afraid you guys odnt get what im saying. Im saying that oots isnt changing, like other webcomics, its just moving to different genres. I read a bunch of other webcomics, and they CHANGE, characters die, art styles drastically change, but they stay in the same genre. This time, oots could pull of a movie with ts own plot and everything, compared to strip one when it was still growing.

PS, i know some people dont get this thread. Just roll with it.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-03, 09:25 PM
AND... if you read OOTS backwards, you get STOO...which points out that the new Belkar can't cook stew while the old Belkar could! :smalleek:
Not to mention that Stu was the name of the Beatles member who died before the group's glory days.

Spook!

Prowl
2009-07-03, 10:10 PM
If OoTS were the Beatles... Belkar would wield a silver hammer.

kabbor
2009-07-03, 10:36 PM
If OoTS were the Beatles... Belkar would wield a silver hammer.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" all queued up! (I won't stop "Pleasant Valley Sunday" to play it sooner, though)

"Bang Bang ..."

Aeon221
2009-07-04, 02:02 PM
They're more like David Bowie.

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/bowie-david-photo-david-bowie-6230855.jpg

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-04, 07:18 PM
Well, Vaarsuvius is at least.

:roy: "Half of what I say is meaningless,
but I say it just to reach you, Julia"

:belkar: "Helter Skelter"!

:nale: "I'm a loser..."

:sabine: "She's got the devil in her heart, But her eyes they tantalize;
She's gonna tear your heart apart; Oh her lips are really thrilling;
I'll take my chances; for romance is; So important to me..."

Sorry, I'm just having fun finding similarities down Memory Lane...:smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2009-07-05, 02:07 PM
If Belkar is like Vader, and Oots is like the Beatles, does that mean that Vader was part of the Beatles?