PDA

View Full Version : New Final Fantasy announced.

Oregano
2009-07-01, 11:17 AM
Well Square Enix did have a pretty nifty teaser site up but the announcements been ruined.

It's a new Gaiden game called 4 Warriors of the Light for the DS. It seems to be in the vein of FFI, III and V which is cool.

http://kotaku.com/5305434/square-enix-mystery-solved-+-the-four-warriors-of-light
(http://kotaku.com/5305434/square-enix-mystery-solved-+-the-four-warriors-of-light)

Can't wait to hear more about it, anyone else?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-01, 11:30 AM
Sweet! Looking forward to it.

Has anything ever come about a PS3 rewrite of FF7? They did a teaser video to show off the graphics once, but said everyone who would be assigned to work on that was already assigned to another project...

Oregano
2009-07-01, 11:40 AM
Yer, although they have have six FFs in development now I'm happy about this one because it's retro. I think they may actually prefer old style to the newer one...

I wouldn't expect an FFVII remake this generation to be honest, probably 2017, the 20th anniversary and also when the compilation was supposed to end and by then Kitase and Nomura probably won't be busy...

They always do stuff like that to show off new graphics. Originally they did FFVI in 3D to show off the Onyx stuff for FFVII and shown the dnacing from FFVIII on the PS2 to show the lack of jaggies and stuff.

Optimystik
2009-07-01, 12:17 PM
Let me guess: androgynous, anorexic teenagers with bad hairdos band together to battle an eeeeeevil corporation worthy of being Captain Planet villains, taking turns to swing highly disproportionate swords and other improbable weaponry, and that can survive a skyscraper-sized robot stomping on them or getting hit in the stomach with rockets, but get put out of commission or even killed if shot/stabbed during a cutscene.

Am I getting warm yet?

Oregano
2009-07-01, 12:21 PM
Not quite, this is retro. Boy Hero sets out to save a princess is what we know of it so far... but it's back to the whole four heroes of the light are chosen stuff as well.

And those criticisms don't only apply to Final Fantasy...

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-01, 12:30 PM
I liked the original FF, you had a lot of choices on how to configure your team. I used Fighter/Figher/Red/Black the first time, and tried Fighter/Monk/White/Red once. Not a single emo-whiner in the bunch!

Still, once you create a good game you run into two problems:
If you keep it the same you get "Same crap, different name"
and if you change it you get:
It's not the game I used to play! They took out my favorite fill in the blank . :smallannoyed:

So I don't bother judging games based on their previous or future models, I play it and if I like it I play it a lot. If I don't, I check out the store's return policy. :smallamused:

Oslecamo
2009-07-01, 12:36 PM
with bad hairdos

Hey, the hairs aren't that bad this time. :smalltongue:

Jamin
2009-07-01, 12:39 PM
This sounds like it could be fun

Oregano
2009-07-01, 12:42 PM
Yer, you pretty much got it Surfing HalfOrc. In fact when this was announced people were mad it wasn't an FF1 remake and also because it's not an FFV remake... these are the same people that complain about rehashing of the games.

I wonder who's actually developing it though? I don't think it's Matrix, nor the Crystal Chronicles team... could be Intelligent Systems but I doubt that.

warty goblin
2009-07-01, 01:23 PM
Yer, you pretty much got it Surfing HalfOrc. In fact when this was announced people were mad it wasn't an FF1 remake and also because it's not an FFV remake... these are the same people that complain about rehashing of the games.

I wonder who's actually developing it though? I don't think it's Matrix, nor the Crystal Chronicles team... could be Intelligent Systems but I doubt that.

This is the sort of thing that has led me to conclude that when it comes to gamers, you can't even manage to please most of the people most of the time. All you can hope is to please enough of them right when you release the game for it to make money.

On the subject of sequelitis, which is being touched on somewhat in this thread. I'm all for it, up to about the third, maybe fourth game. That gives the company enough to time to get the best parts of the gameplay down cold, master the technology, and find where it fits. After the fourth game or so however there usually isn't much room for improvement, or the company is simply incompetant and hasn't managed to make any yet. Either way further releases are likely to be the same thing repackaged, or a significant enough change that using the same name is mostly a marketing gimic.

Oregano
2009-07-01, 01:55 PM
Well Final Fantasy has improved after the fourth and changed.... but it might fit slightly into the second bracket(marketting) because they're pretty much separate games with similar themes... same with a lot of other JRPGs though.

Yer, people are bitching because of the art style of this game, saying they look like babies but I don't mind it. It's different... and kind of looks like a 3D sprite.

Square Enix really do have it rough, that's why they have a section of their own on the Unpleasable Fanbase page of TVtropes.

chiasaur11
2009-07-01, 02:00 PM
I liked the original FF, you had a lot of choices on how to configure your team. I used Fighter/Figher/Red/Black the first time, and tried Fighter/Monk/White/Red once. Not a single emo-whiner in the bunch!

On the other hand, most of them were morons or sociopaths.

Ah well.

Optimystik
2009-07-01, 02:05 PM

If you enjoyed that (and so did I), you must have really loved FF5. The number of classes and combinations was staggering for a SNES game. Monks with white magic, Samurai that could Dragoon-jump, Ninja Alchemists, Dancing Knights, Singing Wizards... if you could imagine it that damn game could do it.

Mando Knight
2009-07-01, 02:52 PM
Well Final Fantasy has improved after the fourth
*thinks about it*
Oh, yeah. They released FF IV DS and FF IV: The After Years. :smalltongue:

Enlong
2009-07-01, 05:09 PM
If you enjoyed that (and so did I), you must have really loved FF5. The number of classes and combinations was staggering for a SNES game. Monks with white magic, Samurai that could Dragoon-jump, Ninja Alchemists, Dancing Knights, Singing Wizards... if you could imagine it that damn game could do it.

Not to mention that none of the heroes went out like punks. In FFV, it takes getting hit by the full spectrum of Black, White, and Time magic, while you're still fighting at 0 hp, to kill a hero.

By the way; actually getting to see what your armor and weaponry looks like when you equip it? Worth the price of admission right there.

Cryssandra
2009-07-01, 05:23 PM
Well Square Enix did have a pretty nifty teaser site up but the announcements been ruined.

It's a new Gaiden game called 4 Warriors of the Light for the DS. It seems to be in the vein of FFI, III and V which is cool.

http://kotaku.com/5305434/square-enix-mystery-solved-+-the-four-warriors-of-light
(http://kotaku.com/5305434/square-enix-mystery-solved-+-the-four-warriors-of-light)

Can't wait to hear more about it, anyone else?

So they're going back to the original storyline?
YES!!!!!!
I gave up on the franchise after X-2

Oregano
2009-07-01, 05:40 PM
By the way; actually getting to see what your armor and weaponry looks like when you equip it? Worth the price of admission right there.

Square Enix have already done that with a DS game, Echoes of Time has good customisation and you can dress how you like on it. My Selkie currently has red hair, a pirate outfit and a gambler hat. Echoes of Time's great but is a Crystal Chronicles title so it's a different experience.

Anyway, this is more significant that I originally thought because this game marks the first original, proper Final Fantasy on a Nintendo system since FFVI. This is a brand new traditional FF... big stuff really.

factotum
2009-07-02, 01:28 AM
Isn't an announcement of a new Final Fantasy game something like an announcement that the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning? :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2009-07-02, 11:54 AM
Isn't an announcement of a new Final Fantasy game something like an announcement that the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning? :smallsmile:

Agreed. When are they going to have the FINAL bloody Fantasy?

Oregano
2009-07-02, 01:12 PM
Agreed. When are they going to have the FINAL bloody Fantasy?

It was called Final Fantasy because they thought it would be their last game but it was a huge success so here we are now...:smalltongue:

So now Square Enix are currently making FFXIII, Versus XIII, Agito XIII, FFXIV, Crystal Bearers and this.... any other FFs being made?

Oregano
2009-07-10, 02:23 PM
I'm bumping the thread because there's two new videos showing off the game. I think the art direction and the technical side is very impressive for the DS.

Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEXSjXVgqGM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.n4g.com%2FUPDATE-on-SE-teaser-site-m664695-p3.aspx&feature=player_embedded)

Exploration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zuR5TYWNUo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.n4g.com%2FUPDATE-on-SE-teaser-site-m664695-p2.aspx&feature=player_embedded)

So what do you guys think?

littlebottom
2009-07-10, 06:42 PM
Has anything ever come about a PS3 rewrite of FF7? They did a teaser video to show off the graphics once, but said everyone who would be assigned to work on that was already assigned to another project...

well, i just wanna put my 2 pence (cents?) in on this one, they did that trailer to "show off the amazing graphics of the ps3" they have said "we might do it sometime in the future, currently we are busy doing other things" they have also said "it would cost so much money we would go bankrupt before we finished it" which they could do, but im pretty sure, they could borrow money and pay it back with 100% intrest if they finished it because the amount of copies that would sell would make them insanely rich.

also they have said things like "we are currently lined up to do another DQ game, finish FF13, FF14 is already in the pipeline, and then we are doing the remakes of the old games aswell in the series like FF4 (etc) but no plans of yet have been set to remake FF7"

so using that (and many more quotes) it sounds like, if they are going to do it, its either going to be for the 20th anniversary of FF7, or they are going to finish all their other current projects and then go all out using the entire company concentrating on the remake, but again that will be in a few years atleast...

i do appologise, im kinda crazy about the idea of ff7 being remade :smallbiggrin:

(my main objection is that if they are going to remake it, then if they have to use voice actors, i want the same ones from the film and if they wait 10 years, some of them will proberbly not want to do it... not to mention red XIII had all of 1 line in the film anyway)