PDA

View Full Version : PrC: Pitied Warrior

Everyman
2005-11-29, 11:55 PM
Before you read this class, you should know one thing: This prestige class was designed to help out characters with horrible stats. In general, the abilities are a tad goofy sounding, which was done purposefully. The idea was that gods would watch these souls and think to themselves, "Aww...look at him. Bless his pathetic little heart." I believe it was inspired by a base class that was mentioned on the forums for its reliance on bad stats too.

Anywho, please feel free to use (and comment) on the class as you see fit. I welcome constructive criticism, so if you spot an error of some sort, feel free to let me know. Now, without further fanfare, I present....

Pitied Warrior

It can be said that no one can be the best at everything. While that may be true, there are very few who survive in combat when they are horrible at everything. Yet that is exactly what a pitied warrior does. These brave soldiers charge into battle, despite their inadequacies, in order to preserve justice and life. Maybe it is because of their bravery and dedication that gods have mercy on these souls and grant them their grace. At any rate, a pitied warrior survives not just by fighting all odds, but by accepting a little divine providence.
Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify as a pitied warrior, must fulfill all the following criteria:
Alignment: Any good
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Heal 2 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks
Feats: True Believer *
Special: Must have successfully been involved in at least three battles where he survived and prospered despite overwhelming odds and logic
Special: Must worship a good goddess or god
* From Complete Divine

Class Skills
A pitied warrior’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int. Mod

Table 1-2: The Pitied Warrior
{table]Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st.......+1....+2....+0.....+0.....Inverted Assistance, Pitied Trick
2nd......+2....+3....+0.....+0
3rd.......+3....+3....+1.....+1.....Pitied Trick
4th.......+4....+4....+1.....+1
5th.......+5....+4....+1.....+1.....Pitied Trick
[/table]
Class Features
All the following are class features of the pitied warrior prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Pitied warriors do not gain any extra proficiency with weapons or armor.
Inverted Assistance (Su): Starting at 1st level, a pitied warrior starts receiving help from his deity in his day to day life. As long as Inverted Assistance is in effect, a pitied may make use of his Pitied Tricks. If at any point a pitied warrior’s Inverted Assistance becomes suppressed, so do his Pitied Tricks until he can once again receive Inverted Assistance. While in effect, Inverted Assistance inverses ability modifiers for the appropriate Pitied Trick below. For example, a -1 modifier for Strength becomes a +1 modifier for the Momentum Swing, as would a +3 modifier Strength modifier become a
-3 modifier.
If a pitied warrior gains an enhancement bonus or any other similar effect to one of his ability scores, the inverted score changes with it. For example, a pitied warrior with a Dexterity score of 9 (+1 inverted modifier) who put on Gloves of Dexterity +6 would have an inverted Dexterity score of -2.
Pitied Tricks (Ex): Starting at 1st level and again at every odd level, a pitied warrior may choose a Pitied Trick from the list below. These abilities represent divine providence, as if the gods themselves took mercy on this pathetic soul.
• Uncontrolled Momentum: Whenever a pitied warrior makes an attack roll while wielding a two-handed weapon, a weapon with two hands, or an oversized weapon and misses, the character is treated as if he made a Whirlwind Attack against every creature. This functions as if he made a normal Whirlwind Attack, except he hits every creature within reach (including allies) and must make a Whirlwind Attack, whether he wants to or not. For the purposes of attack rolls and damage, use his inverted Strength modifier instead of his normal one. At the end of his attack, he must make a Fortitude save equal to DC 12 + Inverted Strength modifier or become sickened for one round.
• Clumsy Dodge: A pitied warrior with this ability may choose to negate any physical attack or the effects of spell that allows a Reflex save (self only). They may do this a number of times per day equal to their inverse Dexterity modifier. However, whenever this is used, they fall prone. This ability may not be used if the character is already prone or incapacitated.
• Sickened Fortitude: A pitied warrior with this ability gains incredible resistance to harm thanks to deformations from his poor health. Any critical hit or sneak attack (or similar ability) has a chance of being negated immediately, depending on the character’s inverse Constitution modifier. The chance to negate such an attack is 25% times their inverse Constitution modifier (maximum of 100%, minimum of 0%). For example, an inverse Constitution modifier of 3 would grant a 75% negation chance. This negation chance is not cumulative with the Fortification from armor. In this case, use the higher negation chance.
• Dumb Luck: A pitied warrior that has this ability begins to warp reality with his ignorance and horrible logic skills. With this ability, a pitied warrior gains an insight bonus to his saving throws equal to this inverse Intelligence modifier.
• Disconnected Mind: It is difficult to scare or control a mind that isn’t there. A pitied warrior with this ability is completely immune to fear effects. In addition, they may choose to negate any mind-effecting effect a number of times per day equal to their inverse Wisdom modifier.
• Unappealing Visage: Few people in the world are as unpleasant as a pitied warrior with this ability. A number of times per day equal to a pitied warrior’s inverse Charisma modifier, he may choose to frighten beings around him as a move action. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + pitied warrior’s class level + pitied warrior’s inverse Charisma modifier) remains immune to his Unappealing Visage for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 1d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 1d6 rounds. This is a mind-effecting ability, and those who can neither see nor hear the pitied warrior are immune.

Everyman
2005-11-29, 11:55 PM
FAQ
Q: If my ability says I can use it X times per day, and I have a negative inverse modifier, can I use it?
A: You can not use an ability -2 times per day, so assume in any of these circumstances that the modifier works as a 0.
Q: What does "True Believer" do?
A: True Believer is a feat from the Complete Divine that grants a bonus to a roll, due to a deity's favor. I can't go any further into this, as this feat is NOT OGL.
Q: Since Inverted Assistance is god-granted, shouldn't it be essentially impossible to suppress?
A: By the same logic, a cleric's spells should not be suppressed by an Anti-magic field (since they are granted by gods), but they end up being shut down anyway.
I'd just assume that the god is nudging the character, but won't actively commit acts which are normally impossible. Either that, or it's a small "divine" gift that is made for mortals, so it is still restricted by mortal laws.

More to be added as questions are asked.

NEO|Phyte
2005-11-30, 12:08 AM
since the inverted assistance is god-granted, isnt it essentially impossible to suppress?

obfuscateandy
2005-11-30, 12:14 AM
I love that idea....
5/5

Everyman
2005-11-30, 12:19 AM
since the inverted assistance is god-granted, isnt it essentially impossible to suppress?

By the same logic, a cleric's spells should not be suppressed by an Anti-magic field (since they are granted by gods), but they end up being shut down anyway. :)

I'd just assume that the god is nudging the character, but won't actively commit acts which are normally impossible. Either that, or it's a small "divine" gift that is made for mortals, so it is still restricted by mortal laws.

bosssmiley
2005-11-30, 03:33 AM
• Dumb Luck: A pitied warrior that has this ability begins to warp reality with his ignorance and horrible logic skills. With this ability, a pitied warrior gains an insight bonus to his saving throws equal to this inverse Intelligence modifier.
• Disconnected Mind: It is difficult to scare or control a mind that isn’t there. A pitied warrior with this ability is completely immune to fear effects. In addition, they may choose to negate any mind-effecting effect a number of times per day equal to their inverse Wisdom modifier.

Tarkahn, you've just created OOTS Elan's perfect prestige class. This looks good, I'll have to get one of my group to try it ;D

Everyman
2005-11-30, 06:59 PM
Heh...I admit that this would turn Elan into a much more viable threat. Too bad he'd end up having to give up some bardic progression to do so.
Of course, that might actually make Roy happy.

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-01-07, 07:50 PM
Yeah can you spell "-3 Int" backwards? erm. . . HE will become smarter!

Lucky2
2006-01-07, 08:18 PM
Dear gods. The ways this could be abused.

If you allow this into a game, watch for characters who use low stats.

Or make it NPC only.

"Are you sure you want a 2 in strength? I mean, you are a fighter..."

"Oh, yes yes, of course I do! Roleplaying, you see."

Whamme
2006-01-07, 08:20 PM
I love it! Finally, a Pixie Fighter build is possible!

(STR -5 becomes STR +5... Now, is there an item of cursed weakness? -6 STR, pick up a double handed weapon.... Whirlwind Attack from hell!)

Sure, you need to be level 12... but at that point, you're a whirlwind of death and destruction!

(rofl)

Sadly, this class does benefit those who minmax. (The stereotypical Half Orc Barbarian with the WIS, INT and CHA of a rock, for example, suddenly kicks more ass).

ninja_kitsune
2006-01-07, 08:21 PM
I think this is the most origenal PrC I've ever seen. This is pretty,coll, I'll have to use it in my sessions.

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2006-01-07, 08:34 PM
If I was wearing a hat, Tarkahn, I would take it off to you for this PrC. ;D

Don Beegles
2006-01-07, 09:19 PM
Can ya'll say RIncewind? Honestly, thiis is definitely his class. HIs god/goddess being the Deity of Self-Preservation. Noone knows anything about aforementioned deity, because noone's ever seen anything but his fleeing back.

Frank
2006-01-08, 01:45 AM
I gotta say, the prereq of +7 BaB makes it real tough to abuse...you have to make it to level 7 to see the effects.

Very, very awesome.

-Frank

Everyman
2006-01-08, 05:21 AM
I love it! Finally, a Pixie Fighter build is possible!

(STR -5 becomes STR +5... Now, is there an item of cursed weakness? -6 STR, pick up a double handed weapon.... Whirlwind Attack from hell!)

Sure, you need to be level 12... but at that point, you're a whirlwind of death and destruction!

(rofl)

Sadly, this class does benefit those who minmax. (The stereotypical Half Orc Barbarian with the WIS, INT and CHA of a rock, for example, suddenly kicks more ass).

Actually, there is a limit to how "minmax" you can get. After all, if you hit the -5 mod point, you are either insane, paralyzed, or dead. Besides, I think that if a person can survive with horrid stats for seven levels (paticularly the stats that SHOULD be high), then they deserve a break. :)

Seriously, I spent probably a good 30 or 40 hours going over all the abilities. I've playtested them, spent time trying to break them, and found that everything actually balances out very well. If you have any doubts, please try out the class. Tell me how it works for you. ;D

Niasen
2006-01-08, 05:47 AM
you do realize you've opened the door for PC's to try and get there DM's to not only houserule this PrC, but to rule in new thigns for him as well

Hehe, on the idea of abilities, here's one you might wanna substitute for the Unnappealling Visage. Try "Truly pitiful Aura". and basically instead of the creatures being frightned of said loser, they literally take pity on his antics, or laugh, effectively being a form of diplomacy check. "Aww, I can't kill him, he's trying soooo hard and can't even lift that axe" lol, you probably could make that into an actual workable skill, but just a thought for those who are working more on "pitiful" instead of "dumbluck" which this guy seems to be

Other than that...pure greatness for the times when the dice don't seem to love ya when making a character, but make up for it later ;)

Everyman
2006-01-08, 06:27 AM
You've actually named what was the runner up for the Charisma ability. ;D

In the concept stages, it was designed as a pity mechanic, a sort of "Awww...lookit. He's so pathetic. Let's help him out." Unfortunately, I ran into two big design flaws in playtesting. First, this allowed a straight fighter/pitied warrior to be good a diplomatic situations, something that feels a little out of place for the classic warrior template. Second, I couldn't figure out the proper way of incorporating the skills and class levels. According to what notes I have, I believe the set-up was something along the lines of Class level + Inverse Cha, which is far too weak to be a useful ability. The other version (which gave you an additional +10 to that base figure) was too strong, as a low CHA character could (potentially) be as good as a bard or rouge...at first level and out of the blue. That just struck me as unfair.

I wouldn't recommend houseruling any abilities unless you spend some time figuring out what works and why. However, if one is dead-set on doing it, good luck and have fun.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-01-08, 07:18 PM
An idea for how to work the CHA pity thing...

Poor Thing
Number of times equal to the inverse of the CHA mod, if he is being attacked by an obviously superior opponent, or otherwise has displayed his ineptitude clearly to his opponent, then the opponent must make a will save to attack the Pitied Warrior, DC = 15 + inverse of CHA mod, or be unable to target the PW for that attack. This is a mind-affecting supernatural effect. Creatures with SR get an SR check to be unaffected.

Pester
2006-01-09, 01:59 AM
I like it, except that intimidate shouldn't be a class skill. "Pitiable" and "Scary" don't really go together. Well, except for in Gollum, but that's kind of a special situation.

Maybe disguise artist, bluff, tumble, one of those skills often used for narrow escapes would be better.

Frank
2006-01-09, 03:11 AM
Could be a cool race though...the ever-living halfling. Ring-touched? =P

-Frank

Everyman
2006-01-10, 01:43 PM
I don't know about that. The pity that a pitied warrior recieves is god-granted (they're always watching), but that doesn't mean that the average person understands or realizes that an individual is pitied. Besides, if a half-orc took this class, and his bad stat was intelligence, and he was angry and about to smack you......well, I'd be intimidated. :)

Of course, I can see your point too. If you want, go ahead and houserule your idea. I won't stop ya.

starwoof
2006-01-11, 03:55 AM
I think 8-bit theaters Fighter has some levels in this class...

Red Mage: Your intelligence penalties are so massive they've collapsed into themselves to grant intelligence BONUSES!

Brilliant. You cant see them, but my hands are clapping for this class.

SpiderBrigade
2006-01-11, 04:13 AM
Great PrC, Tarkahn. I think it'd be interesting to either a)work out variants on this for non-fighter types or b)create another, possibly 10-level PrC that has more party-role flexibility built into it in the form of more "Pitied Tricks." Granted I don't really see how to make it work for a skill-monkey (pitied adventurer?) or caster type (pitied divine/arcane?). Hmm. I'll get back to you on that one.

Everyman
2006-01-12, 03:58 PM
RAW, anyone can take this class. I thought about it though, and I think it is unreasonable to give those classes a pitied variant. I mean, skill-monkeys and casters only need one or two good stats, and they are threats. Warriors need good stats all around if they don't want to be overshadowed by other classes. For example, the rogue can deal out good damage if he sets himself up right and can master a wide variety of skills. A caster can use spells to supplement or overcome problems. A warrior has to use a combination of training and good stats. This PrC was designed to help cover up shortcomings that an aspiring warrior may have in his ability scores.

Oh, and since there are only 6 ability scores to consider, I made this a 5 level class. I realized that a 10 level version would require more than one trick per stat (two that focus on Cha, for example). That looked like it would open up a lot of opportunity for munchkinry and seemed a bit excessive. Therefore, I kept it 5 levels.