PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Demiplane

VestigeArcanist
2009-07-01, 01:08 PM
I remember seeinga spell which would allow you to create your own demiplane, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know the name of the spell and where I can find it? I'm looking to create a plane for my wizard for him to study magic, without being missing the outside world or being interrupted. So I'm seeking to create a plane where it takes a year for 1 round to pass on the material plane. Also I might give it heavier gavity, just because. (move over Dragonball Z):smalltongue:

Random832
2009-07-01, 01:19 PM
I remember seeinga spell which would allow you to create your own demiplane, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know the name of the spell and where I can find it? I'm looking to create a plane for my wizard for him to study magic, without being missing the outside world or being interrupted. So I'm seeking to create a plane where it takes a year for 1 round to pass on the material plane. Also I might give it heavier gavity, just because. (move over Dragonball Z):smalltongue:

Genesis. Description says "You can’t manipulate the time trait on your demiplane; its time trait is as the Material Plane."

You'd have to make an epic spell

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-01, 01:24 PM
Genesis. Description says "You can’t manipulate the time trait on your demiplane; its time trait is as the Material Plane."

You'd have to make an epic spellPsionic Genesis says that. Regular doesn't. @OP: It's in the SRD and the ELH.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-01, 01:26 PM
Genesis is in the Epic level handbook, andmaybe SRD.

Why do you want such a gross mismatch between demi and prime material? With something like that, you can't really sit in your own plane and relax/research between adventures. (Roleplay things) By the time the party beatstick and rogue are done with their own fortresses, you've aged incredibly.

A week in the demiplane for a round in the material would be more than enough. Large amounts of item crafting/spell research (because DM just cast disjunction on all your equipment) would only have you out of the prime material for a minute or less.

JeenLeen
2009-07-01, 01:29 PM
Genesis is in the Epic level handbook, andmaybe SRD.

Why do you want such a gross mismatch between demi and prime material? With something like that, you can't really sit in your own plane and relax/research between adventures. (Roleplay things) By the time the party beatstick and rogue are done with their own fortresses, you've aged incredibly.

A week in the demiplane for a round in the material would be more than enough. Large amounts of item crafting/spell research (because DM just cast disjunction on all your equipment) would only have you out of the prime material for a minute or less.

It makes sense for roleplay purposes, but the ability to exploit it for battle is obscene. You could Plane Shift to your plane, heal, rest, prepare all your spells, and then pop back a 'moment' later.

I suppose a DM might handwave it if, for some reason, it is impossible to teleport in during battle.

Lamech
2009-07-01, 01:34 PM
The caster genesis says this about making traits of your plane:

The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. <nothing about time>First off you need to get your DM to interpert time as part of the environment, second you need to somehow visualize it, and convince your DM you can. Something tells me thats not happening.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-01, 03:33 PM
It makes sense for roleplay purposes, but the ability to exploit it for battle is obscene. You could Plane Shift to your plane, heal, rest, prepare all your spells, and then pop back a 'moment' later.

I suppose a DM might handwave it if, for some reason, it is impossible to teleport in during battle.

I totally understand the idea to exploit it for combat. Especially if you have a contingency Greater teleport orPlaneshift home in the event of X. You disappear, spend a week healing up, then come back the round after you left with new/better spells prepared.
Actually very different from the dragonball reference in the OP, where you'd spend that year training to gain a few level ups.

However, if your campaign ever features downtime between adventures, your character will wither away and die of old age before anything else happens. Unless you've got some method of immortality or avoiding death due to old age. Otherwise you'll age 10 years for every minute that passes in realtime. 600 years an hour. 14400 years a day. 100800 years a week. Etc. I imagine you'd get very bored, very fast.
Lich could work, stick your phylactery in there and have a contingent teleport on your items. You get destroyed, spend 6 days regenerating a new body, 1 day prepping spells, then teleport back in and kick some ass.

Zeta Kai
2009-07-01, 08:47 PM
Here's a link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm)

quick_comment
2009-07-01, 08:59 PM
You could also make an ultra slow time plane to plane shift enemies to.

Saph
2009-07-01, 11:59 PM
First off you need to get your DM to interpert time as part of the environment, second you need to somehow visualize it, and convince your DM you can. Something tells me thats not happening.

Yeah, it's not gonna happen.

Of course, if you DO convince your DM to allow it . . . that means everyone else can do it too. And has been doing it for the entire history of the multiverse. The BBEG is almost certain to be higher level than you. This means he'll probably have had access to this trick already.

This is one of those things where if you think it through, it's just really a bad idea.

- Saph

quick_comment
2009-07-02, 12:09 AM
Why cant you imagine a place where time flows very fast? It looks just like the prime material plane.

Lamech
2009-07-02, 10:40 AM
Why cant you imagine a place where time flows very fast? It looks just like the prime material plane. Not imagine. Visualize. Can you visualize time? You can visualize stuff changing or moving quickly, quickly, but that isn't time. That's just stuff moving or changing quickly. You can visualize looking out at the outside world and it moving slowly, but your not part of the environment so thats a no go, nor is the outside world. Differing rates of time only matter if you have a outside reference point.

Here's a thought experiment: Our universe is simulated on magic powered computers. One big perfect simulation. Now these are really fast computers and every second they run they simulate a thousand years. We would never know. Nothing would look different to us.

Also you need the DM to interpert time as part of the enviorment. RAW is unclear on weather or not genesis can affect the time trait. One interpertation is it can, but the one that most DM's will use is my favored one.

mostlyharmful
2009-07-02, 11:26 AM
If your DM lets you play with time then make sure to have two, one for emergencies to ping to and rest up and the other for your inaccessable gaff of uberness. The use of the spell to create a personal playpen with no back door for anyone but you still applies.

Time traits, material that makes up the 'ground' in the demiplane and EXTREME protection are all a bit gamebreaking though, either have it as a natural extension of the base conditions of the Ethereal plane that your mage can sculpt but can't completely make up or else ban the spell.