PDA

View Full Version : Trackmania - Sort of like Stunts, only newer

Lord Herman
2009-07-01, 01:17 PM
Today, in a bout of nostalgia, I went looking for a remake of Stunts, that old 1991 racing game. And I found it.

Trackmania is basically Stunts, only newer, bigger, and shinier. There are more track pieces, the stunts are way more spectacular, and the graphics have been updated to a ~'08 level. The version I tried, Trackmania Nations Forever, is free, but it's not a shoddy, limited demo; it's a full-featured game in and of itself. There's also a non-free version, Trackmania United Forever, which is supposed to have even more content.

So, does anyone else play Trackmania? It'd be neat to have some folks on my buddy list to compare my records with. My handle is 'lordherman'.

Optimystik
2009-07-01, 03:17 PM
Wow, Stunts... I haven't heard that name in forever. Next you'll be telling me they remade A-10 Tank Killer and Deathtrack. :smallbiggrin:

What system is Trackmania for?

Lord Herman
2009-07-01, 03:31 PM
It's for the PC, and I see on the website (http://www.trackmania.com/tm/index.php) there's also a Nintendo DS version.

Oregano
2009-07-01, 04:02 PM
Yer the DS version is quite recent and there's a Wii version being made IIRC.

Lord Herman
2009-07-02, 06:47 AM
I just bought Trackmania United Forever*, and it's even shinier than the Nations version. It's got six new environments with completely different track pieces, and six new cars to go with them. And those cars are different. The sports car (sort of ferrari-like thing) is ridiculously fast, while the old rustbucket you get on the texas-style tracks almost tips over if you try to steer too fast.

One thing I do miss: the cars don't get damaged, no matter what you do to them. Drop them 500 metres, drive them into a wall at 400 kph, they won't have a scratch.

Of course, that does keep me from completing a ridiculously long and convoluted track only to crash my car into the finish pole, as I did all too often in Stunts.

* How do they come up with those names? Okay, the developer is French, but still...