PDA

View Full Version : Armor sets in D&D

Jergmo
2009-07-01, 02:45 PM
So, I was thinking to myself "Wouldn't it be cool if there were armor sets in D&D?" I figured they'd be lesser Artifacts, geared around level 20 folks. Head, Chest, Gloves, Bracers, and Boots.

The question is, what kind of magical bonuses would be appropriate for this situation for the items? What additional bonuses might be appropriate for when you combine them? Are there any examples of this already in existence?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-01, 03:01 PM
Hm. Interesting idea, although I think the Magic Item Compendium had item sets very similar to this idea.

That said, my mind is now stuck on the idea of wearing the discarded armor of a Marut, granting you Inevitable powers. :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-07-01, 03:06 PM
Djinn is correct - the official rules for Item Sets are in the Magic Item Compendium. I made a set (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6150492#post6150492) not too long ago for a contest that fell apart based on the rules there, and they seem to work fine. I don't have the MIC on hand, but I know it gives guidelines on what sort of bonuses to give for multiple pieces and all that. They DON'T, in fact, have to be artifacts, just normal, linked magic items, in sets from (I think) 3 to 5 or so.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-01, 03:15 PM
Their already is one item set - Belt of Giant's Strength and Gauntlet's of Ogre Power and the Maul of Titans or whatever.

Belt of Giant Strength
This wide belt is made of thick leather and studded with iron. The belt adds to the wearer’s Strength score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +4 or +6.
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength; Price 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6); Weight 1 lb.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
These gauntlets are made of tough leather with iron studs running across the back of the hands and fingers. They grant the wearer great strength, adding a +2 enhancement bonus to his Strength score. Both gauntlets must be worn for the magic to be effective.
Faint transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength; Price 4,000 gp; Weight 4 lb.

Maul of the Titans
This mallet is 8 feet long. If used as a weapon, it is the equivalent of a +3 greatclub and deals triple damage against inanimate objects. However, the wielder must have a Strength of at least 18 to wield it properly. Otherwise, she takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls.
Strong evocation; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, clenched fist; Price 25,305 gp; Cost 12,305 gp + 480 XP; Weight 160 lb.

Ok... weird. i -swear- to god it had a synergy effect if all 3 were used. :smallconfused:... Maybe im thinking 3.0?

Jergmo
2009-07-01, 03:18 PM
Cool, thanks.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-01, 03:19 PM
Ok... weird. i -swear- to god it had a synergy effect if all 3 were used. :smallconfused:... Maybe im thinking 3.0?

You must be. In 3.5, actually, it's not even CLOSE to an item set, since the strength bonuses from the Belt and the Gauntlet's don't stack...you'd have wasted an item slot.

Edge
2009-07-01, 03:25 PM
You must be. In 3.5, actually, it's not even CLOSE to an item set, since the strength bonuses from the Belt and the Gauntlet's don't stack...you'd have wasted an item slot.

They do if you're wielding the Hammer of Thunderbolts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#hammerofThunderbolts).

RTGoodman
2009-07-01, 03:27 PM

Actually, you're not ENTIRELY wrong. It's actually the gauntlets of ogre power, belt of giant strength, and the hammer of thunderbolts, a minor artifact.

Hammer of Thunderbolts

This +3 Large returning warhammer deals 4d6 points of damage on any hit. Further, if the wielder wears a belt of giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power and he knows that the hammer is a hammer of thunderbolts (not just a +3 warhammer), the weapon can be used to full effect: It gains a total +5 enhancement bonus, allows all belt and gauntlet bonuses to stack (only when using this weapon), and strikes dead any giant upon whom it scores a hit (Fortitude DC 20 negates the death effect but not the damage).

When hurled, on a successful attack the hammer emits a great noise, like a clap of thunder, causing all creatures within 90 feet to be stunned for 1 round (Fortitude DC 15 negates). The hammer’s range increment is 30 feet.

Strong evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 15 lb.

Very nice provided you can find a way to wield it. (Large size, Powerful Build, etc.)

EDIT: Ninja'd, of course.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-01, 03:38 PM
HAHA! I WAS RIGHT!

Here a good idea for a artifact like synergy.

In magic the gathering their was 3 powerful badass equipment items that basically made a character immortal and godlike in power; I forgot the exact names, but;

Sword: Gain the character a huge bonus in attack power, gave them first strike, let them gain life based on damage dealt, etc.

Armor: Gave the creature indestructible ability (Can never die from damage of any type or destroy based spells/effects) and a bonus to defense and able to block any number of enemy creatures.

Shield: This item gives itself, the sword, and armor the indestructible ability, so they cannot be removed from the creature, and allows any damage done to the player to be taken (and ignored) to the creature wearing the shield.

If all 3 are in play at the same time? It spawns a avatar, angelic-like spirit creature with flying, etc, and you automatically put them from whatever creatures their on to equip it.

Imagine a game where the players actually have to fight someone with armor that makes them immortal to all forms of damage and instant death effects? :smallbiggrin: They would have to be creative...

Jergmo
2009-07-01, 07:49 PM
HAHA! I WAS RIGHT!

Here a good idea for a artifact like synergy.

In magic the gathering their was 3 powerful badass equipment items that basically made a character immortal and godlike in power; I forgot the exact names, but;

Sword: Gain the character a huge bonus in attack power, gave them first strike, let them gain life based on damage dealt, etc.

Armor: Gave the creature indestructible ability (Can never die from damage of any type or destroy based spells/effects) and a bonus to defense and able to block any number of enemy creatures.

Shield: This item gives itself, the sword, and armor the indestructible ability, so they cannot be removed from the creature, and allows any damage done to the player to be taken (and ignored) to the creature wearing the shield.

If all 3 are in play at the same time? It spawns a avatar, angelic-like spirit creature with flying, etc, and you automatically put them from whatever creatures their on to equip it.

Imagine a game where the players actually have to fight someone with armor that makes them immortal to all forms of damage and instant death effects? :smallbiggrin: They would have to be creative...

Step 1: Throw opened bag of holding and portable hole.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

TMC
2009-07-01, 08:01 PM
Step 1: Throw opened bag of holding and portable hole.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

Near as I can figure, you'd need a Sphere of Annihilation.