PDA

View Full Version : Efron Dice Patter Problems

Jastermereel
2009-07-01, 03:56 PM
So I'd like to offer the player's a sequence involving Efron's Nontransitive Dice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontransitive_dice), but I'm having trouble developing the patter and fluff.

For those that don't know, Nontransitive Dice are a set of non-standard dice where each one, on average, will beat the next one in the sequence...and the sequence loops. So A beats B, which beats C which beats D, which oddly enough, beats A.

I'd like to incorporate it in a deal with a thieves guild as part of a deal. The guildmaster offers them the chance to "make it more interesting" and brings out the dice, the players pick one, the thief picks one and they go best three out of five. If the players play along, odds are they're going to lose. If they catch on, I'd like to reward them.

However, I don't have much DMing experience and so can't quite figure out how best to frame this sort of thing. Does anyone have suggestions or experience on how best to role-play a sequence like this?

AstralFire
2009-07-01, 04:05 PM
When they first get to see the dice - secretly rolled DC 15 spot/perception check. If they pass, DC 12 Int or Wis check (whichever is higher.) If both pass:

"Something about the dice seems faintly odd, but you can't immediately place it" as a secret note to each player who makes it through that set.

And require very precise detail of what they want to inspect before you reveal unusual sets of numbers on the die.

Jastermereel
2009-07-01, 04:26 PM
So you'd recommend strongly against physical props I take it. Wouldn't that leave it up to DM fiat what happens then? If there isn't any item to puzzle over, wouldn't it just me saying that they lose or, less likely, win?

AstralFire
2009-07-01, 04:40 PM
Well, you'd clue the ones who ICly should be able to see that something is wrong, that something is wrong. Then it's up to them to be able to prove it by using their brains.

talus21
2009-07-01, 04:41 PM
Well you could use 4d6 of diffrent colors. That way their would be a combination of Player and Character perception.

kjones
2009-07-01, 04:42 PM
Unless your players are math people, it's unlikely that they'll figure it out, even if they see the dice. Show them - if they figure it out out-of-character, they deserve it.

For extra lulz, give them something based on the Two Envelopes Problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_envelopes_problem).