PDA

View Full Version : Light Clock - New magic item

I_Got_This_Name
2006-01-07, 09:37 PM
Light Clocks are magic items that use the Light spell to measure time. They are usually made at CL 1 in order to minimize their cost. Generally they have one set of lights that marks the hour (and is re-cast six times per hour) and another for the minute (which marks 10-minute intervals), with a possible third set to mark a binary AM or PM. Very few clocks use one set, with 72 (12-hour) or 144 (24 hour) positions to mark the entirety of the day, while some also have an additional cycle for the week. These clocks generally are set to a specific area's local time, although there is no extra price to make them calibrate to local time each day.

These sets use changing color, changing point of origin, or both to mark their position. Sometimes these sets are differentiated by emanating from different sides of the clock, some others use two different rings of points of origin (usually with minutes inside hours). A set may only have one position lit at a time (in general, count the maximum number of simultaneously lit positions as the number of sets, although sets generally are cyclical, and odd interactions must be calculated. If a binary notation, or something with a similarly complex pattern (such as a 7-segment display), is used via several sets, they must be carefully calculated, a process taking one day).

Any precious materials up to the cost to create worked into the construction of a Light Clock are considered part of its materials cost, but can be re-used if the item is disjoined or physically taken apart.

These clocks are generally able to tell which ten-minute interval the time is in, to one who knows the clock. A person must learn how to read each light clock separately, either taking a day of observation, having it explained, or an Identify spell. How well a clock can be read based on observation depends on how intense said observation is (DM's decision)

For pricing, each set of lights is priced as one continuous light spell (SL 1/2 * CL 1; with continuous items cositng 1.5 times that due to Light's short duration). Each additional set is priced as a similar ability.

Light Clocks have the side effect of illuminating brightly out to 20 feet, and dimply out to 40, with an increase of 5 feet to the bright radius, and 10 feet to the dim radius, per set beyond the first that is presently lit (any set that doesn't have an "off" position, in addition to keeping time.

A clock can have more than one set used for minutes, timed to have a certain interval between changes, for more precision (you can get the time down to 5 minutes with two sets, each changing every 10 minutes, but with the changes 5 minutes apart).

A Light Clock made at a higher caster level does not affect its accuracy (the 10-minute set, if any, still has a 10-minute duration), but does affect its difficulty to dispel.

(Edited): Light Clocks can be made with the Dancing Lights spell, in addition to normal Light. These clocks can use the duration of Dancing Lights to track minutes (re-casting in different colors; Dancing Lights has a 1-minute duration), and their pre-programmed movements to track seconds. This adds Dancing Lights to the clock's prerequisite list, and costs as much as one set.

The weight of a Light Clock varies, based on how it was built.

Light Clock, Portable: This light clock is made to be transported, whether in the form of a pocket watch, bracelet, or amulet. As it works continuously without a slot, other magic items can be used in its slot.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price 3,000 GP for 1st set, 2,250 GP for each additional set

Light Clock, Slotted: This less expensive Light Clock continues to keep time when not worn, but must be worn in the slot it is meant for to glow. Unlike the Portable Light Clock, it must have its slot to itself, and never comes as a pocket watch.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price 1,500 GP per set
Slot affinities: Amulet, Bracelet, Glove, Ring.

Light Clock, Invoked: This even less expensive Light Clock must be invoked by a command word to give the time. It remains lit, showing the time when it was last activated (even if it should change), for ten minutes after activation. This form usually comes as a pocket watch, and does not fill an item slot if worn in one. Activating the clock is a standard action, if one feels the need to check the time in combat and other such situations.
Faint Evocation, CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price 900 GP per set (no similar power bonus because its all activated as one action, ad-hoc)

Light Clock, Non-portable: This Light Clock is designed to be built into a structure, such as a clock tower, and is useless unless set into one. Further, if moved, it must be re-calibrated (taking one day and the Craft Wondrous Item feat) to give accurate time. Additionally, these clocks can be made to chime (creating noise approximiately equal to four people shouting and marching) or to call announcements (up to 25 words, set at creation, as per the Magic Mouth spell), and it is set at creation how often they do (half-hour, quarter-hour, ten minutes, hour, noon, etc.) It is generally put in clock towers and the like. Conditions for announcements must be changes in the light.
Faint Evocation, CL 1st (3rd if announcing); Craft Wondrous Item, Ghost Sound (if chiming), Light, Magic Mouth (if announcing); Price 500 GP per set + 450 GP if chiming, + 1,700 GP for first dalily announcement, 1200 per additional daily announcement if announcing (6,500 GP for 5, 7,000 for more)

Some sample Light Clocks:
Time Bracelet: This Slotted Light Clock or Portable Light Clock is a silver bracelet with a circle of a dozen precious stones, and another circle of a dozen colored glass beads, running around it. Each circle has one stone at a time lit, and each stone or bead produces a different color of light. The gems and colors for the circles may vary from bracelet to bracelet, or creator to creator, but the hours given are the most common. AM and PM are indicated with separate minute tracks (there are two glass beads of each color, one only being lit in the AM hours, one only lit in the PM hours).
Hours: 12 - Gold Pearl (Gold); 1 - White Pearl (White); 2 - Tigereye (Brown); 3 - Red Garnet (Red); 4 - Rose Quartz (Red); 5 - Citrine (Orange); 6 - Amber (Yellow); 7 - Malachite (Green); 8 - Turquiose (Teal); 9 - Azurite (Blue); 10 - Lapis Lazuli (Blue); 11 - Amethyst (Purple).
Minutes: 00 - Pink; 10 - Red; 20 - Purple; 30 - Blue; 40 - Teal; 50 - Silver; 60 - White.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price: 3,000 GP (including cost of gemstones and silver, usually averaging 550 GP), 5,250 GP if unslotted

Mage's Pocket Watch: This Invoked Light Clock takes the form of a flat platinum disc the same size as a silver piece, with gold plated against it in arcane designs, usually attached to a short silver chain. When the command word is spoken, one side lights up in a color depending on the hour, and the other side lights up in a color depending on the 10-minute interval. This pocket watch usually does not carry AM/PM information. Colors depend on the mage creating it; those given are merely one possibility. Most are signed with the creator's Arcane Mark, usually on the hour side, and have different designs on each side. When made by clerics, they often take the form of holy symbols, and are still useable as such (they also tend not to have arcane designs or Arcane Marks on them).
Hours: 12 - White; 1 - Gold; 2 - Yellow; 3 - Green; 4 - Teal; 5 - Blue; 6 - Purple; 7 - Red; 8 - Orange; 9 - Copper; 10 - Brown; 11 - Silver.
Minutes: 00 - Blue; 10 - Teal; 20 - Green; 30 - Yellow; 40 - Red; 50 - Purple.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price: 1800 GP

Tower Clock: This Non-portable Light Clock often appears in towers from town halls of towns large enough to afford this (or pay for it over a course of years, or that could afford it in one good year some time back). It shows minutes, hours, and days of the month, and chimes on every hour. Generally, it is arranged in three concentric rings. Days of the month form the outermost, 31-point ring, with hours forming a 24-point ring inside that, and minutes a 6-point ring inside that. Each clock is different, but the clocks generally use a different six-point cycle for each either going through the rainbow (except indigo), primary and secondary colors (with White for the odd day out), or Copper-Red-Silver-White (or blue)-Gold-Yellow, or some similar cycle. If they use the same cycle twice, it is generally not used in adjacent rings (Minute and Day, but not hour). Hours repeat the cycle four times, months five, and minutes have one repetition.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light; Price: 1,950 GP

Temple Clock: This Non-portable Light Clock appears on towers rising from the grandest of temples, clearly displaying the time for all the faithful to see, and calling them to worship services. It generally follows a similar design to the Tower Clock, but also displays the day of the week and the month of the year. Religions with calendars that have a cycle of years also display the year in the cycle. Generally, these cycles are arranged with the largest units of time on the outside, and the smallest on the inside, although some are arranged with shorter cycles (fewer points) on the inside, and longer ones outside. Colors for days of the week and months of the year, rather than following simple cycles (as the Tower Clocks do) use colors symbolic of the day or month. The clock also gives calls to worship at the appropriate time (and day of the week), and announces holy days, generally at worship time.
Faint Evocation and Illusion; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Light, Magic Mouth; Price: 4,200 (One service/day maximum, no years), 4,700 (One service/day max, with years), 9,000 (5 services/day maximum, no years), 9,500 (no maximum services/day, or year display) 10,000 (no maximum services/day, with years)

Sekathrak, Glove of Time: Slotted Time Clock glove; AL N; Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 10; Speech, Telepathy, 120 ft darkvision, blindsense, and hearing. Ego 23
Lesser Powers: 10 ranks Knowledge (History) and Spellcraft, (+14 for each), Detect Magic at will
Greater Powers: Haste owner 3/day, Slow enemies 3/day
Special Purpose: To serve a setting-appropriate deity of Fate or Luck (alternately, to protect the future/time itself)
Dedicated Power: Time Stop on wearer, or Temporal Stasis on other once per month
Appearance: This black silk glove, fit for a right hand, displays hours at its fingertips and the center of the back of its hand, starting at thumb and going to little finger, and then center back of hand, then changing color and repeating, Red for 12 to 5, Blue for 6 to 11, and minutes at the frontmost knuckles and back of hand, between base of middle and ring fingers, displaying AM and PM by changing the minute color (AM - White, PM - Green). It does not have any markings where time is displayed, but has the symbol of its deity (if any) or Arcane Mark of its creator, on its palm. It is capable of surpressing the lights that show the time (but continue the time's ticking)
Personality: Sekathrak is not merely content to display time, but to control it, in the service of its deity. It is a very wise and intelligent item, but prefers to allow others to speak for it, often enlisting its wearer to do such. It is known to cooperate with rogues, aiding them in their heists occasionally, and dragging them on retrievals of time, luck, or fate-related items (either to give them to its religion or hoard them to control and protect time). It is a very arrogant item, assured of its greater knowledge. Perhaps correctly, it believes that time is more important than anything else, and, therefore, that its cause is more important than that of any person or other intelligent item.
Faint Evocation; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, Light, Creator must be at least 15th level; Price: 248,600 GP

Navigator's Clock: This Non-Portable Light Clock has one Dancing Lights set, and counts minutes, hours, days of the month, and months. It is usually installed into ships or mobile structures, and is used to keep time at sea. Most are not made to count local time, but some ships have special clocks that keep local and home time separately, to allow longitude calculations.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light, Dancing Lights; Price 2,500 GP (normal), 4,000 GP (local and home time)

(edited to clean up some errors with the board's censorship of the word "pocket watch" when it is one word)

Brickwall
2006-01-07, 11:45 PM
one question: "pockefemale ganitaliach"? What the fonk is that?

Jothki
2006-01-08, 12:21 AM
one question: "pockefemale ganitaliach"? What the fonk is that?

Pocke- ---ch. Fill in the blanks.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-01-08, 12:39 AM
Cleaned up one in the edit, cleaning the others now. The board's censorship program's errors have been complained about before.

Any comments on the items mechanically?

(edit: thought there was only one more error. Fixed plural)

Darkie
2006-01-08, 02:53 AM
Seems like expensive Everburning Torches that tell time... a cursory glance makes me think they're nifty, with no glaring balance problems. (Granted, I only took a cursory glance at the pricing...)

Seffbasilisk
2006-01-08, 01:59 PM
Wouldnt be that good in complete darkness, or when you're trying to be sneaky and something on you is GLOWING.

And you can't say Pocket Watch?

What about grapes?

Darkie
2006-01-08, 07:52 PM
Well, you'd have to deal with it the same way you deal with Everburning Torches and Everbright Lanterns, I assume.

ghostrunner
2006-01-08, 08:34 PM
I like the idea, quite a bit.

I don't see any internal balance issues with your items as listed, thought I do see some potential problems:
In a standard, semi-medieval D&D world, since no one can tell time with great precision, nothing is run with the same kind of chronological precision that we expect today. Most common folk, if able to get their hands on such a device, would see little purpose in it. It would be kind of like being the only person to own a phone.
Thus the items' use will be restricted to just a couple societal classes. They could be used by wealthy nobles for whom punctuality is important, but almost no one else would have the money or need for such devices.
The other main option is that just about everyone uses these devices, and those that can't afford one themselves can refer to a large one in the town square (or something like that). Bear in mind that if everyone can keep reliable, accurate time, the pace of the world will change dramatically. But then, many books (and threads in this forum, I'm sure) discuss the caveats of "magic as technology" better than I, so I'll leave it at that.

But please, don't take this as negative criticism. I really do like the idea.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-01-11, 12:29 AM
A few towns would have one in town square. According to the GP limits given in the DMG, only a Large Town could sell a Tower Clock, and a Small City could sell a Temple Clock. Going by the total amount of ready cash, we have, I believe, some hamlets being able to afford one, if they wanted it.

The cheapest you could make it is an immobile item that only gives hours and minutes, is immobile, and costs as much as a water clock, "an amusement for the wealthy and a tool for the student of arcane lore." (Well, you could give up the minutes feature, or make it so that it has a different position for every 10 minutes, and halve the cost, but that's not quite as good).

Really, this is following the idea of the clock tower in the center of town, primarily, with a portable version for high nobles, royalty, and adventurers. Most people would still be farmers out away from town, and unable to refer to such a clock tower. Those who live in bigger towns have accurate time.

I'd imagine that the nobility might very rarely have these crafted for portability, and would (more commonly) have non-portable clocks at home. I agree that being on time would be pretty unimportant unless among the nobility, or wizards, or other, similar groups.

Regarding Magic as Technology, I'm aware of its results; I suppose the world I'm building at the moment could be counted as high-magic (or prevalent magic) to have things like this with any frequency.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-01-11, 02:04 AM
While expensive, it is very Eberron.

Gralamin
2006-01-11, 02:14 AM
I think this is too expensive, for the requirements given i would say this would be like 1000 gp + water clocks cost (1000 gp) for a total of 2000, its just to expensive for a low level magic item, it might even neeed to be half of waterclocks cost.

Munchy
2006-01-11, 02:30 AM
I would up the precision of the timepiece to match that of the H4 chronometer (Measure time in 1/5 second with a deviation of 5s/2months). IMHO ten minutes is too coarse, even large sundials get more accurate measurements for local time (+-2 mins).

http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/ug/projects/o'brien/o'brien.htm

(Tracking time in terms of seconds would probably require that you change the display mechainsim.)

Once you get that level of precision they become insanely useful objects. Good chronometers were indispensible for accurate navigation and would probably be of value to military comanders and engineers.

http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/gem-projects/hm/0203-1-10-instruments/chronometer.htm

You could make the price of the chronometer go up with the accuracy justifying this with the use of higer level spells in production.

ghostrunner
2006-01-11, 04:58 PM
A few towns would have one in town square. According to the GP limits given in the DMG, only a Large Town could sell a Tower Clock, and a Small City could sell a Temple Clock. Going by the total amount of ready cash, we have, I believe, some hamlets being able to afford one, if they wanted it.

The cheapest you could make it is an immobile item that only gives hours and minutes, is immobile, and costs as much as a water clock, "an amusement for the wealthy and a tool for the student of arcane lore." (Well, you could give up the minutes feature, or make it so that it has a different position for every 10 minutes, and halve the cost, but that's not quite as good).

Really, this is following the idea of the clock tower in the center of town, primarily, with a portable version for high nobles, royalty, and adventurers. Most people would still be farmers out away from town, and unable to refer to such a clock tower. Those who live in bigger towns have accurate time.

I'd imagine that the nobility might very rarely have these crafted for portability, and would (more commonly) have non-portable clocks at home. I agree that being on time would be pretty unimportant unless among the nobility, or wizards, or other, similar groups.

Regarding Magic as Technology, I'm aware of its results; I suppose the world I'm building at the moment could be counted as high-magic (or prevalent magic) to have things like this with any frequency.
Sounds pretty good. Also, I second Munchy's commments.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-01-11, 06:27 PM
Pricing: Pricing is calculated closely following the DMG rules.

Accuracy: Its better than the water clock (OK, on the day of setting it the water clock is more accurate), but the Light Clock doesn't need to be set.

I suppose one could make a more accurate version by changing the spell powering it. Dancing Lights lasts for one minute, and, if you give the lights a preprogrammed motion, could even count seconds. You can then change the lights' colors to identify which minute, and, if you have ten sets, attach this to a normal light clock to give it a closer minute and second hand.

Shevaresh
2006-01-11, 07:41 PM
Silly question time:

As a villager - why would I not just use a sundial?

As a clockmaker - why not just duplicate a sundial (ie make an item that creates a shadow based on where the sun should be) rather than create an item that casts Light dozens of times a day?

brummeren
2006-01-11, 08:06 PM
Silly question time:

As a villager - why would I not just use a sundial?

As a clockmaker - why not just duplicate a sundial (ie make an item that creates a shadow based on where the sun should be) rather than create an item that casts Light dozens of times a day?

A villager would never be able to afford this kind of magic item, and would probably just measure everything based on the sun(noon, sunset and rise and so on).

As a clockmaker: Precision. A sundial is very unreliable and has to be moved every other day or so.

Darkie
2006-01-11, 08:08 PM
I see this very much as a class item.

By which I mean all the high class shops will definetely have one, just because.

Munchy
2006-01-11, 08:23 PM
Poratble sunclocks have several issues:

1. Sundials give you local time so to give you some standard time it has to be calibrated to your location on earth.

2. To use a sundial you must be absolutely still. Not possible (Or extremely diffiuclt) on ships or while rding.

3. The sundial has to be set a the right angle. If you just set it on the ground a slight tilt could cause a misreading.

4. A portable sundial would probably be small thus magnifying errors.

5. Sundals only give you local time. Chronometers allow you to track time at a reference location. This is essential for navigation purposes as it allows you to determine location wrt. your original position.

Edit : Villages would probably just use sundials.