PDA

View Full Version : Questions about monkey grip and reach weapons.

Corbin Jenkins
2009-07-01, 06:22 PM
My question concerns monkey grip with a reach weapon like a kawanaga. Does reach increase by five feet? By ten feet? If I can hit at max range and adjacent, is there a gap in between I can't hit?

Catch
2009-07-01, 06:32 PM
Reach weapons increase your threatened area by one size category. Using Monkey Grip to wield a larger one would only increase the weapon's damage.

Corbin Jenkins
2009-07-01, 06:44 PM
Page 42 of Savage Species says reach is determined by weapon size.

Starbuck_II
2009-07-01, 06:45 PM
My question concerns monkey grip with a reach weapon like a kawanaga. Does reach increase by five feet? By ten feet? If I can hit at max range and adjacent, is there a gap in between I can't hit?

You only get Reach for approproately sized reach weapons: so technically you shouldn't have reach anymore.
Same as human using a small longspear.

Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square.
A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

RAW: While Monkey Grip lets you weild it, technically it isn't appropriately sized. A Meduim creature isn't large even if he can now weild a large weapon.

RAI: But no, having a larger weapon won't increase reach even further than a normal one. They only double your range. So unless you first increase your range: it won't double the double.

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 06:53 PM
Using a smaller than you reach weapon actually denies you reach.

Wielding a weapon sized larger than you doesn't give you extra reach.

Its kinda wierd, but thats the way it is.

FMArthur
2009-07-01, 06:59 PM
Page 42 of Savage Species says reach is determined by weapon size.

The inside cover of Savage Species tells you that it is 3rd edition and not 3.5th.

AstralFire
2009-07-01, 07:35 PM
It's reasonable, though, as Savage Species was made with several 3.5 rules in mind.

From a balance perspective I'd be fine with it because really, Monkey Grip SUCKS. But from a realism standpoint it makes sense.

erikun
2009-07-01, 07:36 PM
Size And Type
This line describes the creature’s size. A size modifier applies to the creature’s Armor Class (AC) and attack bonus, as well as to certain skills. A creature’s size also determines how far it can reach to make a melee attack and how much space it occupies in a fight (see Big and Little Creatures In Combat).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm

warrl
2009-07-01, 07:41 PM
Using a smaller than you reach weapon actually denies you reach.

Wielding a weapon sized larger than you doesn't give you extra reach.

Its kinda wierd, but that's the way it is.

The most I'd even consider giving on this, if I were DM, would be that a too-large reach weapon could be used at half its reach. Between having to hold the weapon closer to the center of its length, and the effort of moving the over-WEIGHT weapon around, it simply wouldn't be effective beyond that.

Too-small reach weapons, I could see an argument for giving full use.

AstralFire
2009-07-01, 07:47 PM
Uh... so basically, that'd be no change on the overwhelming majority of weapons, then.

#Raptor
2009-07-01, 08:07 PM
A medium sized creature with a Large greatsword has 5 ft. reach.
A large sized creature with a Large dagger has 10 ft. reach.

Terrible rule.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-01, 08:28 PM
A medium sized creature with a Large greatsword has 5 ft. reach.
A medium sized creature with a Colossal greatsword has 5 ft. reach.
A large sized creature with a Large dagger has 10 ft. reach.

Terrible rule.
Yeah, it's one of those rules that can only be resolved by by the MST3K mantra. What makes it worse, is it's not even Rule of Cool. Rule of Cool would be a Gargantuan Greatsword cutting down rank after rank of mooks. Sure, it's not realistic, but then, neither is an animesque Cloud sword.
Great Cleave becomes a minion mincer, or more so should I say.
And much would be the awesome.
If it's too unbalancing, maybe work from the rule that Small characters also have 5 foot reach, so that Huge swords would be 10 feet, Colossal would be 15, stepping the progression, as the length of the arms also counts for how much reach one has with a weapon.

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 08:37 PM
The trick to expanding your reach is to wield a large creature wielding a large sized sword.

Just imagine a halfling swinging around a titan by his big toe Bam-Bam style, and the titan flailing around wildly with its hammer.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-01, 08:43 PM
The trick to expanding your reach is to wield a large creature wielding a large sized sword.

Just imagine a halfling swinging around a titan by his big toe Bam-Bam style, and the titan flailing around wildly with its hammer.

Tread not this route, for at the end it results in the Hechatonchieres Psychic Warrior with Augmented Expansion wielding fifty Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors, each wielding fifty Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors with Augmented Compression...

Ravens_cry
2009-07-01, 08:47 PM
Tread not this route, for at the end it results in the Hechatonchieres Psychic Warrior with Augmented Expansion wielding fifty Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors, each wielding fifty Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors with Augmented Compression...
Sounds like a Psychic Fractal. As if they weren't trippy enough already.:smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 08:47 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you liked to wield Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors with Augmented Expansion so we added Hechatonchieres Psychic Warriors with Augmented Expansion to your Hechatonchieres Psychic Warrior with Augmented Expansions so you can be absurd while being absurd.

I dun gud?

Glimbur
2009-07-01, 08:49 PM
It gets even sillier if you take the Titan bloodline from Unearthed Arcana; which lets you use a Gargantuan Warhammer without penalty. Even if you are, for instance, a Pixie.

Corbin Jenkins
2009-07-01, 08:53 PM
So, then how can I increase my reach without increasing my size? Is enlarging/expanding my only option?

Keld Denar
2009-07-01, 09:07 PM
A reach weapon doubles your normal reach. The only way to further increase reach is to increase you normal reach, which generally involves changes in size due to Enlarge Person, Expansion, or Polymorph. There are some other paths to increase your reach, such as Willing Deformity: Tall and Abberant Reach, but they are rather feat intensive. I think there is a guide around here with a list of stuff that has that effect.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-01, 09:34 PM
A reach weapon doubles your normal reach. The only way to further increase reach is to increase you normal reach, which generally involves changes in size due to Enlarge Person, Expansion, or Polymorph. There are some other paths to increase your reach, such as Willing Deformity: Tall and Abberant Reach, but they are rather feat intensive. I think there is a guide around here with a list of stuff that has that effect.

Meaning that, for a Tiny or smaller character, 0 x 2 = 5.

Stop getting your D&D all over my maths!