PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon Anthropomorphic Race

The White Knight
2006-01-08, 09:55 PM
I know anthropomorphic races have been done time and time again (to the point of near monotony), but this is something that would be useful for one of the campaigns on the PbP forum.

Here's my attempt. My first time trying anything like this, so please shoot me down if it sucks.

Tanuki

*Size: Small
*Type: Humanoid
*+2 Dex, -2 Str
*Base Speed 30ft
*Scent
*Low-light vision
*Crafty: receive +1 skill point at each level
*+2 racial bonus on Open Locks and Sleight of Hand checks. This bonus does not allow the use of these skill unless trained.
*Favored Class: Rogue
LA +1

For appearance, picture a smaller Rakshasa, more raccoon-like in appearance, with a tail 8)

EDIT: changed yet again. The old version was allowed for the campaign I was concerned with, but I'll keep tinkering with it on this board for the sake of completion.

Fhaolan
2006-01-08, 10:14 PM
I'm not going to comment on the build, as I don't have the time right now to sit down and figure it out.

However, I'm going to recomend a web-site to go to for name-inspiration:

http://www.loomcom.com/raccoons/info/namesake.html

As an alternative idea, you could use the chinese red panda (or lesser panda) as a model (http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Red_Panda.asp), and steal some oriental cultural stuff for it out of Oriental Adventures. :)

Zeal
2006-01-08, 10:27 PM
Savage species has a Anthromorpic template.

Reptile
2006-01-08, 11:16 PM
I'd say it's a little overpowered--it seems to be the ultimate skill-monkey (skill-raccoon? ;)). For example, compare the abilities of a rogue of your race vs. a halfling.

Compared to your race, a halfling gets:
+1 AC, +1 to attack
# +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
# +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
# +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
# +2 racial bonus on Listen and Jump checks.

Compared to a halfling, your race gets:
+2 Int/-2 Cha (aka even MORE skill points)
+10ft. base speed
+2 on Move Silently checks
+4 to Open Lock and Sleight of Hand checks
Scent
The ability to use Medium-sized weapons without penalty (presumably--the description of Light Build is a little unclear)

For a sneaking-type rogue, your race seems better. Slightly fewer combat bonuses, but the skill bonuses really make up for it IMHO. Also, don't underestimate the power of Scent--it can be very useful.

Also, be wary when giving bonuses to the "mental" stats, since they become very useful for spellcasters (note that none of the PHB races has a bonus to Int/Wis/Cha). Your race would make a very good wizard--bonuses to Int and Dex, and wizards don't care much about the limitations you impose (Str? Cha? light build?). (Speaking of which, I like the idea of Light Build a lot.)

As for ideas...maybe you could take away the +2 Int, and possibly tone down the skill bonuses a bit. Alternatively, one thing that struck me as being in theme with the Light Build would be a Con penalty; it gets harder to judge if something is balanced as there become more and more bonuses and penalties though.

As Hajih mentioned, there's an Anthropomorphic Animal template at the back of Savage Species. I find it sort of...boring though, as it doesn't necessarily capture some of the flavor you might want. (They give instructions for anthropomorphizing any animal, but the result is that a lot of races created will have similar stats.) Feel free to take a look though.

The White Knight
2006-01-08, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I agree. I didn't get much gratitude out of the SS anthropomorphic template.

On second glance, I see that this at least warrants a level adjustment. I'll go back and re-edit the original post with some modifications.

EDIT: Yeah, I was a little wary about the intelligence bonus, but I decided to add it anyways (moreso for the flavor than the mechanical advantage... raccoons can be frighteningly intelligent and crafty little critters at times). The Grey Elf (I think?) from the MM is always there for those mage-munchkins looking for their Int boost.

Hopefully the +1 LA I added in and the slight reduction in skill bonuses will balance things out a bit.

Frank
2006-01-08, 11:56 PM
Name: Tanooki. (sp?)

The Mario Suit from Super Mario 3...you could get a million of them in world five.

Then again...they'd have to be able to turn to stone and land on bad guys head. And fly.

Maybe not such a good idea.

-Frank

Tanooki : Your Race as Drow : Elves

Beelzebub1111
2006-01-09, 12:09 AM
Tanuki is a good name.

From the japanesse word for "a racoon dog"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki

give them a bonus on disguise checks.

they have transformation magic, but prehaps requiring a specific, or specialy treated leaf would be required.

they are often depicted as having pot bellies, and large testies

they are tricky, genial, and happy (so a bonus to charisma or diplomacy rather than a penalty)

They drink alot (penalty to wisdom)

Frank
2006-01-09, 12:21 AM
Large Testicles? Yeah, I saw that too on the site...

Maybe a +2 Cha in general...and +4 when dealing with a non-hostile lady type (From Small to Medium Size...maybe even large).

-Frank

Edit: Yeah, if anything, they get a -2 for reflex saves. Tienen juevon. Might cause some "drag."

Reptile
2006-01-09, 03:10 AM
The revised build looks a bit better...although did you mean to give them Small size and light build? This would mean they have a net -8 to opposed Strength checks and such (which becomes -9 with the Strength penalty...) My vote would be to keep the Medium size and light build (and possibly add back the Hide bonus).

Type: Depends on how anthropomorphic you want this race to be, but I'd probably go with humanoid--monstrous humanoids either tend to be more...monstrous (e.g. minotaurs, centaurs) or have innate magical/supernatural abilities (hags, medusae). Monsters that are approximately human-shaped and not supernatural, however, seem to generally be classified as humanoid (bugbears, lizardfolk, gnolls...).

[When reading the SRD on monstrous humanoids, I noticed that they generally tend to have darkvision. That might be something to consider for your race no matter the type--it seems to be appropriate for a raccoon--however, I haven't really thought about what kind of balance issues it would introduce.]

Beelzebub1111
2006-01-09, 03:14 AM
if you want to make them humanoid give them a subtype like: Humanoid(reptilian)

I suggest: Humanoid(furry) ;)

DarkListener
2006-01-09, 06:12 AM
IMO scent is overpowerd for PCs. Else, its not too bad, i guess.

The White Knight
2006-01-09, 07:13 AM
Whoops. I was tossing around the two ideas of having medium with light build or just small, and I guess I ended up combining them, haha.

Alright, time to compare with something existing again:

Tiefling:
+2 Dex & Int, -2 Cha -> +2 str vs. 'tanuki'
Medium Size -> one size larger
Bonus to two skills -> two skills less
Darkness
3 resistances at 5 points

Does scent and +2 to two skills balance out with a 2nd level spell like ability, 15 points worth of resistance, +2 strength, and increased size?

I'm going to revise again. See how it looks, keeping the Tiefling in mind.

DarkListener
2006-01-09, 08:57 AM
hmm... got a point there...
But scent still is a very powerful ability. You wouldnt be able to hide anyone from these characters. Maybe give them darkvision instead, thats worth something, too. Or low-ligh vision and the blind fight feat if thats what your after.

Coffee_Dragon
2006-01-10, 12:51 PM
raccoons can be frighteningly intelligent and crafty little critters at times).

I'll say! They sit on the heads of dogs to drown them! And their hands - their little, nimble, probing hands!

However! Just because raccoons are smart for being animals doesn't necessarily mean anthro raccoons should be smarter than other humanoids. Any +Int race will essentially turn into a "wizard race" and I don't know if that's what you're really going for. So I'd scrap the Int bonus and go for a +0 LA, which is nicer than LA +1 by about two bananas and a kiwi.

Another note: unless they are unnatural in origin or natural underground dwellers (not just burrowers), they should have low-light vision, not darkvision.

So, I suggest you remove the Int and Cha modifiers, change vision mode, possibly replace the Move Silently bonus with one more appropriate to a non-predatory animal (Listen/Spot/Balance?), and probably remove Scent, and you've got a nice LA +0 critter.

Ayana
2006-01-11, 02:51 AM
If you feel an Int bonus is warranted in terms of being crafty, but don't want them to be particularly good at magic you could give them a penalty to spells-per-day or save DC.

Infinity_Biscuit
2006-01-11, 02:59 AM
For races that would make sense to have bonuses to a mental stat, such as this, would it be possible to have something like:

+2 INT
[racial adjective] characters are treated as having two less INT in relation to spellcasting.

SpiderBrigade
2006-01-11, 03:58 AM
Or, you know, just give them bonuses to skills? There's really three things that Int is good for in D&D: spells, skills, and "general quick-wittedness (cunning)." There's only rules for the first two, with the last being handled in roleplaying. So if you want your race to be clever but not good at spells, hand out some specific skill bonuses and/or bonus skill points. Or, really, if you want them to do both, give them an Int bonus and balance accordingly. I don't think it's necessary to come up with brand new mechanics like spells-per-day penalties or "+2 Int except for anything related to spellcasting."

The White Knight
2006-01-11, 07:43 AM
Changed again.

Scrapped int bonus, cha penalty, darkvision, and a couple of skill bonuses.

Added low-light vision and +1 skill point per level.

Kept scent, kept the +1 LA.

Getting better?

Coffee_Dragon
2006-01-11, 11:22 AM
I don't know how Scent will play out as a PC ability, but the rest should definitely be balanced, and Savage Species puts Scent at +1 LA, so this should be fine. In fact, if I were going to play it I'd ask if I could trade out just Scent to negate the LA.

The "unless trained" clause isn't strictly necessary, as you need actual ranks for trained use.