PDA

View Full Version : How does gestalt and prestige classes work?

Korivan
2009-07-01, 11:01 PM
My question: How do you workout taking prestige classes when playing gestalt. I'm a little unclear on the whole gestalt thing I guess. I was told when taking prestige classes, you cut out one aspect of the gestalt and continue the other as normal, or do you cut both classes and progress into one prestige. Something like this I suppose-
wizard 15/archmage 5
fighter 20 ?
or is it
wizard 15/archmage 5
fighter 15
?

wadledo
2009-07-01, 11:03 PM
First one.

tyckspoon
2009-07-01, 11:06 PM
It's the first way; you treat the prestige class just like a normal class, with a couple of provisions: You cannot take two prestige classes at once, and you cannot take a dual-progression class like Mystic Theurge (although beyond 'advances two kinds of spellcasting' the rules are quite vague about what constitutes a dual-progression class.) The class layout would be written as Class 1 (x)/ Prestige Class (y)// Class 2 (x+y).

Korivan
2009-07-01, 11:09 PM
Thanks. However I wonder just how over-powered a character can become like that?

Korivan
2009-07-01, 11:10 PM
It's the first way; you treat the prestige class just like a normal class, with a couple of provisions: You cannot take two prestige classes at once, and you cannot take a dual-progression class like Mystic Theurge (although beyond 'advances two kinds of spellcasting' the rules are quite vague about what constitutes a dual-progression class.) The class layout would be written as Class 1 (x)/ Prestige Class (y)// Class 2 (x+y).

would a sorcerer-wizard that prestiges to wizard-ultimate magus be dual-progression, sorry if dumb question?

Eldariel
2009-07-02, 05:24 AM
would a sorcerer-wizard that prestiges to wizard-ultimate magus be dual-progression, sorry if dumb question?

Yes, it would. Anything that progresses e.g. two castings is dual progression. Others, such as Sneak Attack progression, are on a case-by-case basis (although as long as you don't allow two SA-advancing classes to stack (only use the faster progression), it should work out fine).

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-02, 05:53 AM
Thanks. However I wonder just how over-powered a character can become like that?

Surprisingly, not much. You're still limited to 1 HD per level and, barring spells / racial qualities / powers / etc., a single standard action each round. There are certain combinations such as Warblade // Wizard or Warblade // Archivist that do have a lot of advantages over a non-gestalt counterpart, but they still can't cast a standard spell and use a maneuver in the same turn.

Kaiyanwang
2009-07-02, 06:00 AM
Surprisingly, not much. You're still limited to 1 HD per level and, barring spells / racial qualities / powers / etc., a single standard action each round. There are certain combinations such as Warblade // Wizard or Warblade // Archivist that do have a lot of advantages over a non-gestalt counterpart, but they still can't cast a standard spell and use a maneuver in the same turn.

Exactly. I found that gestalt PC are (not surprisingly) less likely to finish spell slots, have the right spell for the right situation, the right prereqs with interesting class features (say, stoopid example, fighter feats and barbarian rage) and so on. But they die easily like standard PCs.

Anyway, I found such PCs very unique, interesting and well-rounded, and I don't think I will play non-gestalt in the future. (MAybe with rules, like the current campaing that is 2 class + 1 prestige class till level 20, barring exceptions, - 30% XP til 20, + 30% level 21+ for class "restart")

More, the -1 to che CR thing allows the DM to put in the fight nasti combinations and nasty amounts of monsters.

Maybe gestal monsters (monster class//class).

*maniacal laughter*

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-02, 05:07 PM
...I'll divert the thread to a slightly*question:
*Or maybe not so slightly
Is there anywhere other than UA where one could find the gesalt rules? I (sadly) lack acess to that build.
(Continue posting on the original topic, if you desire.)

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-02, 05:09 PM
Yes, there is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm)

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 05:09 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm

Curse you, you pleasently scented dragon ninja...thing!!!

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-02, 05:16 PM
Erm, thanks, guys.