PDA

View Full Version : Curst from Lost Empires of Faerun

Xey42
2009-07-01, 11:18 PM
I was looking at the curst template in lost empires, and thought it looked very interesting for a recurring villain. For those that don't know, It's a creature that has been permanently effected by a curse, turning it into a sentient undead and giving it a nice variety of immunities.. and It basically leaves the creature with only two ways to die (anything but these forms of death means it just comes back/reforms/etc).

-First, a disintegrate spell (or its equal in some form) that completely destroys the whole body all at once. This seems easy enough to overcome by cutting off a finger or something and hiding it away like a phylactery (there are plenty of forums discussing how to do this), ensuring that if everything else gets destroyed, youll just form back up at your finger.

-Second is having someone cast remove curse on you, at which point you just turn to ash and are gone. Seems like a blaring weakness seeing as how by level 8, every core caster has the key to the creatures demise one spell away. Granted, the template does have decent SR and a separate caster level check to remove the curse, a paranoid DM may want something more steadfast against some lucky rolls by a PC.

How would you go about making that second fault disappear as best as possible? My first idea was a ring of counterspells, but figured i'd turn it over to the community for a more permanent solution. Also, i know 'just be a lich' is the easiest solution, but, lets just assume this was locked in for some reason.

Thanks for the help in advance!:smallbiggrin:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-01, 11:39 PM
The spell spell immunity would cover that problem. However, a more graceful solution would be to make the creature the favored of a god. That template, in addition to a few other things, grants you complete immunity to one spell per spell level (0-9). Just pick Bestow Curse and Greater Bestow Curse as two of your options.

arguskos
2009-07-01, 11:41 PM
The spell spell immunity would cover that problem. However, a more graceful solution would be to make the creature the favored of a god. That template, in addition to a few other things, grants you complete immunity to one spell per spell level (0-9). Just pick Bestow Curse and Greater Bestow Curse as two of your options.
Notably, that's only the Chosen of Mystra template (IIRC). I know of only two Chosen templates (the other being Chosen of Bane), and only the Chosen of Mystra offers that feature.

However, it is a good way to go, if you can swing that as a baddie (tough, but possible).

quick_comment
2009-07-01, 11:57 PM
Spellblade: Remove curse.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-02, 01:04 AM
Half Golem in MM2 grants you immunity to magic, which would include immunity to the only two spells capable of permanently destroying it. It would also be immune to Bestow Curse which is required to make it a Curst, but one way around that would be to either curse it before or during the application of half golem, or by using a supernatural Bestow Curse effect. It's nothing short of a cheesy you-can't-kill-my-monster, but any supernatural disintegrate or remove curse effect would still be capable of destroying it though, such as if cast by a Dweomerkeeper or maybe a Beholder's disintegrate eye ray.