PDA

View Full Version : The Twilight Scion [PrC, PEACH]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-02, 09:39 AM
Twilight Scion

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs26/300W/i/2008/155/b/7/Shadow_Warrior_by_Feeney102000.jpg

"Hello darkness my old friend...I've come to talk with you again..."

Merging the innate magic of the shadow plane with practiced and perfected bladework, a Twilight Scion is the epitome of the darkness. Able to seamlessly blend martial and magical prowess into a cohesive whole, they wield the umbral power of the shadows to devastating effect, empowering spell with blade, and blade with spell.

BECOMING A TWILIGHT SCION
How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Maneuvers: Ability to initiate 2nd level maneuvers, at least three of which must be from the Shadow Hand discipline.
Mysteries: Ability to cast 3rd level mysteries from at least 2 paths.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Hide 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks

Class Skills
The Twilight Scion's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Wis), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Dark Wisdom, Shadow's Edge
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Gloaming Shroud
3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Reflections of the Pale Moon
4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Consumptive Shadows
5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Ebon Eyes
6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Blossoming Shadow Stance
7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Umbral Shroud
8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Reflections of the New Moon
9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Dusk and Dawn
10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|One With Midnight[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|1|0
2nd|0|0|0
3rd|1|0|1
4th|0|1|0
5th|1|0|0
6th|0|0|0
7th|1|1|0
8th|0|0|1
9th|1|0|0
10th|1|1|0
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Twilight Scion gains no proficiencies is either weapons or armor.

Maneuvers: At every odd level, a Twilight Scion gains new maneuvers known from the Shadow Hand discipline. She must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. She adds her full Twilight Scion levels to her initiator level to determine her total initiator level and her highest-level maneuvers known.
At 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level, a Twilight Scion gains additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd and again at 8th level, a Twilight Scion learns a new martial stance from the Shadow Hand discipline. She must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Mysteries: At every level, a Twilight Scion gain new mysteries and an increase in caster level as if she had also gained a level in a mystery-using class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one mystery-using class before becoming a Twilight Scion, she must choose which class to add each level.

Dark Wisdom (Ex): Dark recesses of the mind emerge in the moonlight, turning the mind's eye to things better left unknown. A Twilight Scion uses her Wisdom modifier instead of her Intelligence modifier to determine the highest level mysteries she is able to cast. Additionally, she adds half of her Swordsage level to her caster level for the purposes of mysteries known, mysteries per day, and overall caster level. This benefit is applied retroactively.

Shadow's Edge (Su): The umbral edge of a Scion's blade flickers through the world, ignorant of mortal obstacles. Whenever the Twilight Scion initiates a Shadow Hand maneuver, resolve the attack roll as a touch attack. She gains a Shadow bonus on this attack roll equal to the level of the maneuver in question. This may seem like an incredibly overpowered ability, but bear in mind that this class combines a poor BaB class with a medium BaB class. The most optimal attack set-up (Shadowcaster 5/Swordsage 5/Twilight Scion 10, grants only a +12 Base Attack Bonus...quite low for a Gish class). It's also a multiple MAD class, requiring Dexterity, Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma, and, to a lesser extent, both Strength and Constitution (as all melee classes need damage and hit points).

Gloaming Shroud (Su): Conjuring shadows from the darker planes, a Twilight Scion can cloak herself in deepest night, confounding and disorienting her foes. She no longer draws attacks of opportunity for casting mysteries. Additionally, whenever the Twilight Scion casts a mystery or initiates a Shadow Hand maneuver, she gains concealment until the beginning of her next turn (after resolving the attack).

Reflections of the Pale Moon (Su): Darkness calls to darkness under the shadow of the pale moon. Whenever a Twilight Scion casts a mystery, she refreshes a single Shadow Hand maneuver she has prepared of that level or lower (so a Twilight Scion casting Afraid of the Dark, a 3rd level mystery, could refresh any Shadow Hand maneuver of 3rd level or lower.).

Consumptive Shadows (Su): Shadows prey upon the weakened, sapping their life away. Whenever a Twilight Scion targets a foe with a mystery or a Shadow Hand maneuver, she gains a Shadow bonus equal to that mystery or maneuver's level on all damage rolls against that foe derived from mysteries of Shadow Hand maneuvers. She also gains this bonus for the purposes of overcoming Spell Resistance with her mysteries. This bonus lasts until the end of her next turn.

Ebon Eyes (Ex): When darkness obscures the sight of lesser beings, a Twilight Scion reads the patterns in the shadows, unhindered by the gloom. She may see perfectly in any natural or magical darkness.

Blossoming Shadow Stance (Su): At a Twilight Scion's whim, darkness envelopes her, dancing about to obey her every command. She may take a swift action to lose the benefits of Shadow Hand stance she is in to gain the benefits of this stance. While in the Blossoming Shadow Stance, a Twilight Scion gains a +1 Shadow bonus to the save DCs of her mysteries and Shadow Hand maneuvers. Additionally, during her turn she gains a reach of twenty feet for the purposes of making touch attacks for mysteries or initiating Shadow Hand maneuvers only. She does not gain the benefits of having reach when it is not her turn, and thus cannot take advantage of it to make attacks of opportunity.

Umbral Shroud (Su): As a Twilight Scion draws closer to the source of her power, she learns to sink into it, pulling it around her and drawing her into shadow. Whenever the Twilight Scion casts a mystery of initiates a Shadow Hand maneuver, she becomes invisible until the beginning of her next turn (after resolving the attack).

Reflections of the New Moon (Su): The new moon coats the world in blackest night, and nothing but darkness resides within. Whenever a Twilight Scion initiates a Shadow Hand maneuver, she regains a single use of a mystery she knows that is at least one level lower (so a Twilight Scion initiating Five-Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike, a 9th level maneuver, could regain a single use of any mystery of 8th level or lower.).

Dusk and Dawn: Dusk and Dawn go hand in hand, beginning and ending the dark of night. So to does a Twilight Scion's power complement itself. Whenever a Twilight Scion rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll with a Shadow Hand maneuver, she may immediately cast a mystery with a casting time of one standard action (or less) as an immediate action. Whenever an opponent rolls a natural 1 on a saving throw against a mystery cast by the Twilight Scion, the Twilight Scion may initiate a Shadow Hand maneuver with an initiation action of one standard action (or less) as an immediate action.

One With Midnight (Su): At the peak of her abilities, a Twilight Scion can infuse her very soul with the blackest night. She may take a swift action to lose the benefits of Shadow Hand stance she is in to gain the benefits of this stance. While in the One With Midnight stance, a Twilight Scion becomes incorporeal, moves soundlessly, and is invisible in anything less than natural daylight. All her attacks in this form are considered to have the Ghost Touch quality.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-02, 11:58 AM
There we go. It's now at a state where I'm more inclined to share it with everyone. It's not 100% finished, and will be editted several more times, but it's ready to gather input.

I'm worried it may be a little overpowered. I tried to make Shadow Magic appealing rather than rather sub-par like it normally is, but I may have gone to far. Thoughts?

SilveryCord
2009-07-02, 01:52 PM
I like it, although it is *incredibly specific*. Honestly, shadow magic needs to be ripped out and started over. I like Reflections of the Pale Moon. Not sure about power level.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-02, 02:00 PM
I like it, although it is *incredibly specific*.

*looks over recent homebrew*

*finds a fallen and self-blinded oracle*
*finds a strong-willed traveler who has lost himself in the Far Realms*
*finds a bard who has been killed, resurrected, and trapped halfway between life and death*

What can I say? I like incredibly specific classes, as it gives me a little niche to carve out unique abilities in.

Honestly, shadow magic needs to be ripped out and started over. I like Reflections of the Pale Moon. Not sure about power level.

Agreed. But that's not what they pay me for, so I run with what I'm given. Reflections of the Pale Moon and Reflections of the New Moon were attempts to remedy the shadowcaster's problems somewhat by giving the Twilight Scion staying power when mixing up mysteries and maneuvers...here's hoping it works. :smallbiggrin:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-02, 07:01 PM
Alright. This class is currently completely finished...until I receive criticism one way or another. :smallbiggrin:

Realms of Chaos
2009-07-03, 09:28 AM
The one thing that kind of beffudles me is the presence of a "shadow bonus".
Wouldn't the intellect of a shadowcaster and wisdom of a swordsage suggest an insight bonus instead?

It is also kind of odd in that beyond being specific, this is the type of class that you need to know that you want very early in the game. After all, you are going through 6 levels of shadowcaster with only 13 int (more nets you skill points but seems unneeded) and very high wisdom (which normally doesn't help the shadowcaster at all).

Ironically, the fastest way to get into this class doesn't involve the swordsage. As the shadowcaster 6 has BAB +3 anyways, just taking martial studies at 1st, 3rd, and 6th level will let you qualify all by itself.

One last thing is that I think that the mystery-refreshing power is a bit overpowered. It is one thing to refresh a per-encounter power and another to refresh daily powers. What might be a little less powerful (but still very useful) is the ability to refresh metashadow feats (thus letting you maximize, extend, quicken, etc. your mysteries all day long).

Cieyrin
2009-07-03, 10:46 AM
I agree with RoC on the Shadow bonus type. New bonus types make me leery.

I don't really see this as that out there, as PRCs go, as it's essentially a shadow version of the Jade Phoenix Mage, if I can be so blunt. Honestly, I think it's alright power level-wise, other than perhaps the Mystery recovery, as RoC has again pointed out. Given how few mysteries shadowcasters generally have available, perhaps it's not all that bad, though I may be wrong, as it comes out to a Sorcerer who has almost no need to rest, since he can activate a Shadowhand maneuver to get his second best spells and lower back almost whenever he wants to.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-03, 06:01 PM
Dammit, Djinn, I was going to post my ToB/shadowcasting PrC as soon as I got back to my home computer, and it's named the Twilight Reaver! You read my mind! You have enough good ideas that you don't need to preempt mine!

Ahem.

The only issue I have with this is that you assume a swordsage is entering this class. You require 3 Shadow Hand maneuvers, and Martial Study can be taken 3 times--and Martial Stance as often as desired--so swordsages aren't the only entrants. A rogue picking up some Shadow Hand maneuvers to get Gloom Razor and Child of Shadows is fairly common, for instance.

You might want to tone down some of the other abilities because of another possible entrant: warblades often take a 2-level dip to fix their stance progression, so a warblade X/fighter 2 who takes 3 Martial Studies would love this PrC.

So in short, I think that if you made it base its features on "whatever class got you the Shadow Hand maneuvers" instead of "swordsage" and toned down a few features, this would work better.

Realms of Chaos
2009-07-04, 09:37 AM
PairO'lostdice, you seem to be missing the required 3rd level mysteries from 2 paths. This requires 6 levels in shadowcaster. As I have said, however, the shadowcaster could take martial study to ignore the swordsage requirement.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-04, 08:11 PM
PairO'lostdice, you seem to be missing the required 3rd level mysteries from 2 paths. This requires 6 levels in shadowcaster.

I didn't miss anything; I was commenting only on the swordsage portion, since no ability depends on shadowcaster levels--of course they'll need shadowcaster levels in there, so I didn't mention it. And I missed your comment on it when I was reading your post, but I think mine adds enough extra detail that I'll leave it alone.