PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Paint

Lysander
2009-07-02, 10:25 AM
Anti-Magic paint is created by skilled alchemists, who mix cold iron with other spell resistant materials to produce a dark red pigment that can be used to paint objects and rooms.

The paint has several unique properties and cannot be affected by any spell subject to spell resistance or one that only affects objects. Furthermore, any object completely covered in the paint also cannot be the target of those spells. It impossible to cover creatures with enough paint to be effective without suffocating and blinding them, and paint will immediately chip and become ineffective on weapons and armor as soon as they take or deliver blows. Objects with moving parts can be painted, but the paint will crack and fall off as soon as the parts move. Thrown weapons and projectiles can covered in the paint but cannot be launched accurately.

Incorporeal creatures and objects cannot pass through anti-magic paint, but it is not on the ethereal plane. Anti-magic paint cannot be used to harm incorporeal creatures like a ghost touch weapon, nor can ethereal creatures damage it except with effects that can harm it on the material plane. If every surface of a sealed room is painted (including the ceiling and floor) it will prevent ghosts from entering and leaving, unless there is a crack or gap in the paint they can fit through. Magic still functions perfectly fine in a room painted this way.

How much should this cost per square foot?

Baron Corm
2009-07-02, 11:47 AM
I'd say it's about the same as a single-use item of sequester, so about 4,550 gp to coat a Medium object. Using the option of coating a room with it would be very expensive, so you might want to have a separate cost of 100 gp per 5-foot square. I can't think of any real uses for it other than the sequester thing, did you have anything else in mind?

Lysander
2009-07-02, 12:45 PM
I'd say it's about the same as a single-use item of sequester, so about 4,550 gp to coat a Medium object. Using the option of coating a room with it would be very expensive, so you might want to have a separate cost of 100 gp per 5-foot square. I can't think of any real uses for it other than the sequester thing, did you have anything else in mind?

It really has two uses, guarding against ghosts and making objects immune to many spells and abilities. This includes divination spells but many other spells too. For example, you could theoretically paint dice with this stuff to prevent a wizard from cheating by telekinetically adjusting them. I'm adjusting the description so it also provides immunity against any spell that only targets objects.

Blocking ethereal creatures also blocks people using ethereal jaunt. A bank could coat the inside of a vault with this stuff to stop magical thieves from getting in that way.