PDA

View Full Version : Dual disarming fix

paddyfool
2009-07-02, 11:28 AM
I'd like to suggest the following small fix. It gives something for nothing to TWF users etc., but since TWF is generally weaker than THF, disarming isn't usually an overpowered tactic, and it requires a full-round action, I think it's pretty balanced, if possibly a tad complicated:

- A character who has either a one-handed weapon or nothing equipped in two hands may take a full-round action to use both hands to make a disarm attempt; while doing so, treat this as a disarm attempt with a two-handed weapon (ie with a +4 bonus) and ignore any penalties for light weapons. Specific weapon bonuses do not stack; instead take the highest. If the attacker loses the opposed check, the opponent may attempt to disarm either weapon; however, the +4 bonus still applies.

Justification: there are oodles of techniques to apply leverage using both hands seperately when disarming someone. And grabbing someone's sword off them when you're unarmed, while straining disbelief, adheres strongly to the Rule of Awesome ;-)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-02, 11:34 AM
See, this is how I think it should have always been. So much so, in fact, that I'd go a step further and allow the following:

Two Weapon (or 1-handed weapon) Disarm: As part of a full-round action, you may give up your additional attacks for your off-hand weapon to make a disarm attempt anywhere during the attack. If you fail, your opponent may only attempt to disarm your off-hand weapon.

Justification? You've got two weapons...one to get them into a vulnerable position, and one to knock/grab their weapon away.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-02, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe even a two-weapon disarm feat that allows you to make a standard action to attack with your main hand weapon and disarm with your off-hand weapon, applying a penalty on your enemys check equal to the damage done with your first attack? The wrist-biter technique..

Edit: Or like stated above. :smallamused:

paddyfool
2009-07-02, 11:52 AM
Thank you both for your feedback. I'd like to make the following suggestion, to combine Djinn in Tonic's idea and mine:

While full attacking, a character who has two hands equipped with either a one-handed weapon or nothing may, during a full round action, sacrifice all off-hand attacks to gain the following bonuses to a disarm attack with the primary weapon:

+4 bonus as if using a two-handed weapon
Any light weapon penalty is ignored
The highest weapon-specific bonuses for disarming from a weapon held in either hand(e.g. for a Sai) applies.

If the attacker loses the opposed check, his opponent may attempt to disarm either weapon; however, the bonuses listed above still apply.

(I don't really see why the opponent might not have an opportunity to disarm the primary weapon in response, since this would be used in the disarm attempt).

EDIT: I'm a little worried this "fix" might be good enough to require a feat. Perhaps DM's discretion should apply...