PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Warforged Charger Equipment help

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-02, 12:00 PM
The title says it all but I'll elaborate some more here. I've been having some trouble picking out equipment for a warforged charger psychic warrior (mostly for the self-buffs) for an upcoming game. With the gold for a 13th level character (110,000), I've only really spent gold on two things.

A +1 flaming, throwing, returning battle-fist (the character was started on the idea of ROCKET FISTS)
And a +4 enhancement to the adamintine body it comes pre-built with. This can be lost if needed.

What sort of equipment should I be aiming to get? What's good things to keep an eye out for? My character is the primary tank in the party, so durability has generally been the focus of feats (Getting Steadfast Determination so Will saves won't be AS much a problem) and powers (things to heal, energy resistance, and force screen). So what do more experienced playgrounders suggest?

Baron Corm
2009-07-02, 12:19 PM
Well, first of all, if you're playing a warforged, and you want to be a tank, I would suggest taking 5 levels of warforged juggernaut. The class has a d12 HD, and grants you immunity to nonlethal damage, critical hits, mind-affecting effects, death effects, the entire school of Necromancy, ability damage, and ability drain. All within 5 levels. How's that for self-buffs? Admittedly I don't know as much about what the psychic warrior has to offer.

I'm not sure if you have gotten Brutal Throw and Power Throw yet, but they allow you to use your Strength modifier for attacks with thrown weapons, and allow you to Power Attack with thrown weapons.

As far as equipment is concerned, the belt of battle from MIC is always essential. Grants extra actions. Other standards for tanks include anything which increase HP, saves, or AC, like amulets of health, rings of protection (unless this overlaps with psychic warrior powers), and cloaks of resistance.

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 12:20 PM
Things all melee need:

+str
+con
+saves
Haste
Flight
See Invis or True Sight
Freedom of Movement
Protection from [Mind Affecting]
short range Teleport/DimDoor
Non-Moral +hit bonuses
untyped +dmg bonuses
ability to bypass DR

pretty much in that order of importance. Some things are aquireable by class features, others by reliance on high save bonuses or similar, but all are important features that need to be aquired by any melee character in order to do his job (kill stuff, don't die) right at any given level range.

Person_Man
2009-07-02, 01:18 PM
Standard Psychic Warrior tank build is to use a King of Smack combo. Expansion + Claws of the Beast + Claws of the Vampire + Karmic Strike + Robilar's Gambit + Combat Reflexes. If you need details on how it works, let us know.

Specific equipment suggestions:

Retributive Amulet: Probably one of the most powerful defensive item out there, and it absolutely rocks with a King of Smack build. Every time you take melee damage, that damage is split 50/50 between you and the attacker. Book of Exalted Deeds pg 116.

Spellguard Rings: Allows you to ignore the spells cast by an ally. For example, they could lob a Fireball at a group of enemies even though you’re standing in the middle of them without effecting you. Complete Mage pg 127.

Ghoul Gauntlets: Adds a paralyzing effect to any unarmed strike, slam, or claw attack. Although the Save DC is laughable, the duration is excellent. So if your enemy ever rolls poorly on any one Save, they’re pretty much dead. Libris Mortis pg 78.

Valorous weapon enhancement: Double damage on a charge. +1 bonus. Unapproachable East pg 54.

Banner of Law: All day Protection from Law 30 ft. Can be made for Protection from Evil, Good, etc. Protection from Whatever is ridiculously useful, as it protects you from mind control and summoned enemies. Heroes of Battle pg 133.

Cloak of the Dragon: Wings and a breath weapon once per day for 10 minutes. Cheap. Complete Champion pg 138.

Hilt Hollow: Hides a small potion or other object inside your weapon, which you can draw as a Swift action. Dungeonscape.

Iyaringu of the Earth Dragon: Negates difficult terrain. Dragon Magic pg 102.

Mantle of Second Chances: Reroll one die once per day. A must have at high levels, when a 1 on a Save in a game with a spiteful DM might mean certain death. DMG II pg 269.

Night Caller: You can blow this whistle over any grave to turn a corpse into a zombie that serves you loyally until destroyed. After you kill a powerful enemy, bury him and then make him serve you. Libris Mortis pg 79.

Xenogears
2009-07-02, 03:26 PM
Well, first of all, if you're playing a warforged, and you want to be a tank, I would suggest taking 5 levels of warforged juggernaut. The class has a d12 HD, and grants you immunity to nonlethal damage, critical hits, mind-affecting effects, death effects, the entire school of Necromancy, ability damage, and ability drain. All within 5 levels. How's that for self-buffs? Admittedly I don't know as much about what the psychic warrior has to offer.

What book would someone find the warforged juggernaut in perchance?

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-02, 03:31 PM
His DM popping in to notify the playground that the allowed books are as follows: SRD, PHBII/DMGII, MIC, SpC, ToB, and the Completes(-Champion).

EDIT:
What book would someone find the warforged juggernaut in perchance?

Off the top of my head: In ECS or Races of Eberron.

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 03:34 PM
Ebberon Campaign Setting (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Warforged+Juggernaut+Book)

EDIT:
Boo! Why everyone gotta be hatin on Complete Champion?\

EDIT2:
Do you allow Homebrew? The Demented One put together a FREAKIN AMAZING PrC for Warforged Warblades and Crusaders. I forget the name, something like Adamantine Soul or something....Plus, its by The Demented One, so you KNOW its good!

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-02, 08:20 PM
Ebberon Campaign Setting (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Warforged+Juggernaut+Book)

EDIT:
Boo! Why everyone gotta be hatin on Complete Champion?\

EDIT2:
Do you allow Homebrew? The Demented One put together a FREAKIN AMAZING PrC for Warforged Warblades and Crusaders. I forget the name, something like Adamantine Soul or something....Plus, its by The Demented One, so you KNOW its good!

Homebrew, last I heard, has been disallowed except for special purposes.

And, to clarify, when I said 'tank' I meant the only character in the party MEANT to last in melee combat. As such, I'm not really following any kind of build because I don't really know any.

Character sheet is...here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=136862) The concept is, quite literally, based around workable rocket-fists and getting up to colossal size when I need to so they'll be effective. Hence the Charger and psychic warrior in the first place.

That said, I know what I SHOULD get...I just don't know how much money I should spend on each. I know the build I have now is durable and strong (physically) but the concept itself is probably a little weak. That's why I want to make sure the equipment is top-notch.

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 08:30 PM
110,000g

+4 weapon - 32,000g
+4 armor - 16,000g

That leaves 62,000g

+4 Str and +4 Con are 32000g together

that leaves 30,000g

Boots of Speed are 12,000g

that leaves 18,000g

+3 Cloak of Resistance is 9,000g

down to 9,000g

Armbands of Might are 4,100g (MIC)

4,900g left

Anklets of Translocation (MIC) added to Boots of Speed are 2700g

2,200g left

Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) gets you out of 1 stun per day, for 2000g.

That leaves 200g for beer and hookers. Sound good?

Covers most of your weaknesses and boosts most of your strengths. Meat, bread, and potatos right there. If you want navy beans, you are gonna have to give something up.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-02, 09:03 PM
Armbands of Might are 4,100g (MIC)

4,900g left

Anklets of Translocation (MIC) added to Boots of Speed are 2700g

2,200g left

I have no idea what those two do.

Darrin
2009-07-02, 10:55 PM
Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) gets you out of 1 stun per day, for 2000g.

Isn't there an elemental graft for about 3000-4000 GP that makes you immune to stun all the time? The breath of water thingy?

(Now if it would only work on dazed... sigh.)

Brock Samson
2009-07-02, 11:08 PM
The Anklet 2/day lets you teleport 10 ft as a SWIFT action.

I think the Armbands of Might give you a +2 damage bonus when you Power Attack for -2 or more. Plus give you a constant +2 bonus on strength checks (read: tripping!)