PDA

View Full Version : This Old Greatsword [3.5]

DarknessLord
2009-07-02, 01:28 PM
Alright, so I am in a low WBL campaign and have decided to try to subvert that by going Kensai (I have the DM's approval, to the point where he is letting it stack with smite damage, so it's totally cool), and I need to figure out my plan for how my signature weapon is gonna be enchanted.
Relevant stuff:
*I am a Paladin, Sword of Celestia variant (so my sword is already magical a bit, already counts as good aligned, and I do not have a mount)
*I run on power attack and smite.
*Given how much the plot revolves around them and the DM likes them Bane (aberrations) is probably a solid choice. (In particular Mind Flayers, but we might finish with that arc here soon, but aberrations in general are a safe bet)
*My party is myself, A spellthief, a hexblade, a ranger, and a dread necromancer (He's not evil, and from both an in character stand-point and GM ruling, he's cool for me to hang out with.)
*Due to not thinking about PrCs until a little to late, I will be entering at level 9.
*Any official sources are probably okay.

Thanks in advance.

Toliudar
2009-07-02, 01:39 PM
I love the magebane enhancement. It's only +1, and since so many aberrations have spells or spell like abilities, you're covered against most of them anyway - plus many of the the humanoids, outsiders, dragons etc you meet up with along the way. Plus, it stacks with Outsider Bane, if you really want.

The Gilded Duke
2009-07-02, 02:00 PM
Illusion Bane, I think it is +1 From Magic Item Compendium.
Lets you ignore the miss chance from illusions and things of that sort.
And then the Shadow enchantment, I forget the exact name, but from Tome of Magic. +2 Enchantment, your weapon is whatever quality is needed to beat the damage reduction of the last target it hit.

While it doesn't work on the first hit it lets you bypass all sorts of bizarre damage reduction on the second hit. Bysheck, Good and Piercing, Cold Iron and Evil, Epic (maybe?) and so on.

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 02:18 PM
And then the Shadow enchantment, I forget the exact name, but from Tome of Magic. +2 Enchantment, your weapon is whatever quality is needed to beat the damage reduction of the last target it hit.

While it doesn't work on the first hit it lets you bypass all sorts of bizarre damage reduction on the second hit. Bysheck, Good and Piercing, Cold Iron and Evil, Epic (maybe?) and so on.

You are confusing 2 different enhancements. One is Transmuting, a +2 from the MIC, which overcomes any DR it hit the previous round and for 10 rounds thereafter (naturally refreshes itself if you keep beating on something).

The other is the old Shadowstriking, from where I forget, but it was a +3 equiv that overcomes any DR from the first second on. Not worth the price increase over Transmuting, IMO. Also, not to be confused with the new Shadowstriking from the MIC which extends your reach by 5' for 1 round per day.

Gorbash
2009-07-02, 02:18 PM
I love the magebane enhancement. It's only +1, and since so many aberrations have spells or spell like abilities, you're covered against most of them anyway - plus many of the the humanoids, outsiders, dragons etc you meet up with along the way. Plus, it stacks with Outsider Bane, if you really want.

Magebane was changed in MIC, now it deals +2d6 dmg only against creatures that cast arcane spells or use invocations, thus reducing its awesomeness.

Frogwarrior
2009-07-02, 02:47 PM
I always thought Merciful had great RP value for a paladin at least...