PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Half half-fiend, half half-celestial template

Frogwarrior
2009-07-02, 04:08 PM
Yeah, for some reason, I wondered what the offspring of a half-fiend and half-celestial would be like. I figured I'd homebrew up a template. Basically, it's kinda an average / amalgam of the two. I couldn't think of a really great name, so I settled with "verwardian," from the Dutch word for "confused" - but if anyone can come up with an actually GOOD(/EVIL) name, I'd appresh.

Verwardian

A verwardian's form appears to be a twisted mottling of fiendish and celestial characteristics. It is common for one side of the body to be dominantly fiendish while the other side is dominantly celestial, but this is not necessarily the case.

Creating a Verwardian

"Verwardian" is an inherited template that can be applied to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher. Due to the inherently warring nature of its very being, a verwardian is always chaotic.

A verwardian uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

SIze and Type
The creature's type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Verwardians are normally native outsiders.

Speed
A verwardian has wings that are an unnatural hybrid between feathered and batlike wings. If it already had a fly speed, its maneuverability drops to poor (if not already clumsy), otherwise, it can fly at the base creatures base land speed (clumsy maneuverability).

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Attack
A verwardian has two claw attacks and a bite attack, and the claws are the primary natural weapon. If the base creature can use weapons, the verwardian retains this ability. A verwardian fighting without weapons uses a claw when making an attack action. When it has a weapon, it usually uses the weapon instead.

Full Attack
A verwardian fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack. If it has a hand free, it uses a claw as an additional natural secondary attack.

Damage
Verwardians have bite and claw attacks. If the base creature does not have these attack forms, use the damage values in the table for Half-Fiend claw and bite damage for a creature of one size category smaller. Otherwise, use the values in the table or the base creature’s damage values, whichever are greater.

Special Attacks
A verwardian retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.

Smite Evil/Good (Su)
Once per day a verwardian can make a normal melee attack to do extra damage equal to its HD (maximum 20) against a good or evil foe (it must decide which when declaring the attack).

Spell-like Abilities
A verwardian with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has two or more spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below.

The conflicting nature of the verwardian grants it powers of both celestial and fiendish origin. Consequently, the spell-like abilities are listed in pairs. Unless otherwise noted, only one ability from each pair can be used per days. For a pair listed with multiple uses per day, a verwardian can use either ability until the sum of the uses of each ability equals the listed limit. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

1-2 HD: Light/Darkness 3/day, Protection from Evil/Protection from Good 3/day
3-4 HD: Consecrate/Desecrate, Detect Evil/Detect Good
5-6 HD: Cure Serious Wounds/Inflict Serious Wounds
7-8 HD: Holy Smite/Unholy Blight
9-10 HD: Neutralize Poison/Poison, Remove Disease/Contagion
11-12 HD: Holy Word/Blasphemy
13-14 HD: Holy Aura/Unholy Aura 3/day, Hallow/Unhallow
15-16 HD: Mass Charm Monster/Horrid Wilting
17-18 HD: Summon Monster IX (celestials or fiends only)
19-20 HD: Resurrection/Destruction

Special Qualities
A verwardian has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
-Darkvision out to 60 feet.
-Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 5.
-Damage reduction 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).
-A verwardian's natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
-Spell resistance equal to 10 + creature's HD (maximum 35).
-+6 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against disease.
-+8 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Skills
A verwardian gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the verwardian gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.

Challenge Rating
???

Alignment
Always chaotic (any). An individual verwardian may fluctuate between chaotic good and chaotic evil.

Level Adjustment
???

Comments? Insults? Suggestions on how to improve the spell-like-ability list? (I can't think of a really good pairing for the 15-16 HD slot, for one...) Suggestions on whether the CR and LA should just be the same as the half-fiend and half-celestial templates?

hamishspence
2009-07-02, 04:11 PM
Nice idea. I wonder if it could be the offspring of a Concordant Killer and anything else? (MM4 outsider, basically like a fiend/celestial.)

Iferus
2009-07-02, 04:24 PM
anti-HEROES?
:)