PDA

View Full Version : I knew it! Tiamat is gonna be pissed.

Raenir Salazar
2009-07-02, 04:51 PM
I knew it.

BaneofElves
2009-07-02, 04:52 PM
Okaaaay. What does this have to do with anything?

Xesirin
2009-07-02, 04:52 PM
Oooh..... the IFCC is gonna be in trouble.............. :smalltongue:

Couldn't resist.

Actually, I'm wondering if this may have a larger impact on the story than one might think. If Tiamat is really upset about the destruction of all the Black Dragons, then the IFCC might have to forgo a few of their plans.

Kish
2009-07-02, 04:53 PM
Okaaaay. What does this have to do with anything?
Check the last panel of strip #667.

BaneofElves
2009-07-02, 04:55 PM
d'oh! I totally forgot about a huge portion of the black dragons just being wiped out. My bad!

Thanatosia
2009-07-02, 05:02 PM
Hahaha, wonder if the IFCC figured V royaly slotting of a lower planes Diety in their plans?

Optimystik
2009-07-02, 05:10 PM
They'll have to calm her down at the very least. Wouldn't it be funny if one of them had to give up some of their time to her? Especially since they "have more than enough" for... whatever.

Ytaker
2009-07-02, 05:14 PM
Tiamat does have the power to defeat any character in oots with ease. Since she has about 900 health, strength 49, con 35. And she can use her breath weapons to do an average of 300 damage every 1d4 rounds. Enough to kill Ochul. I'm not sure why she gave her black dragon a hint that led to the destruction of 1/4 of all dragons.

Thanatosia
2009-07-02, 05:16 PM
For Knocking out a Quarter of the population of Black Dragons around the world (and just the dragon deaths illustrated makes that look like quite a few), I would imagine it will take quite a bit to make T calm down. I just really hope Rich follows this into something and its not just a 1 panel joke, this could really make things interesting.

Raenir Salazar
2009-07-02, 05:16 PM
1/4 of all black dragons. red, green blue etc are all at ful.

Ytaker
2009-07-02, 05:17 PM
1/4 of all black dragons. red, green blue etc are all at ful.

Full, charged, and afiring.

Yeah, I'm just too lazy to say black dragon.

Thanatosia
2009-07-02, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure why she gave her black dragon a hint that led to the destruction of 1/4 of all dragons.
Discussed this somewhat in another thread, but it's quite clear the Gods in OotS are not omniscient, and whatever power she granted the Oracle, I think it only works to answer questions posed to him, and do not provide blanket insight into the fallout from there.

Zanaril
2009-07-02, 05:18 PM
For Knocking out a Quarter of the population of Black Dragons around the world (and just the dragon deaths illustrated makes that look like quite a few), I would imagine it will take quite a bit to make T calm down. I just really hope Rich follows this into something and its not just a 1 panel joke, this could really make things interesting.

There is no way this will be left as a single panel joke. I bet you 10gp on that.

Trizap
2009-07-02, 05:36 PM

well it looks like it will be.......there was an entire comic page devoted to killing them off and the roaches said that there were nine sides to the conflict and some of them were not known yet, so Tiamat could be one of those sides.

so so far we have:

1. OOTS
2. Xykon
3. Linear Guild
4. IFCC
5. Tiamat
6. Redcloak

and also, remember Oracle? he got his powers from Tiamat remember? he could be in trouble for leading the black dragon mother and V into doing this through his prophecies.

all in all, Rich is too good to keep this a one-panel joke there is just too many wide-reaching repercussions.

Blackjackg
2009-07-02, 05:46 PM
so so far we have:

1. OOTS
2. Xykon
3. Linear Guild
4. IFCC
5. Tiamat
6. Redcloak

You left out the Sapphire Guard and the various and sundry factions of the Azurites. And Mama Dragon herself was still lurking around when the roach made the official pronouncement. And there's also the (admittedly slim) possibility that the Giant was just messing with us.

Tingel
2009-07-02, 05:50 PM
Why the future tense in the thread title?

I knew it.
Your foresight is impressive.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-02, 05:54 PM
Tiamat does have the power to defeat any character in oots with ease. Since she has about 900 health, strength 49, con 35. And she can use her breath weapons to do an average of 300 damage every 1d4 rounds. Enough to kill Ochul. I'm not sure why she gave her black dragon a hint that led to the destruction of 1/4 of all dragons.

Umm... No.

O-Chul uses Tiamat's fire breath for his sauna,
her Acid breath for his facial scrub,
her lightning breath to remove stray hairs,
her ice breath to chill his sake,
and her chlorine breath to keep his pool algae free!
:smallbiggrin:

Trizap
2009-07-02, 05:57 PM
You left out the Sapphire Guard and the various and sundry factions of the Azurites. And Mama Dragon herself was still lurking around when the roach made the official pronouncement. And there's also the (admittedly slim) possibility that the Giant was just messing with us.

..........the sapphire guard is dead.............the "various factions of Azurites" seem to be more focused on surviving and getting their city back.........I don't see how they have anything to do with the Gates and even if they ARE, they are more like on the OOTS side here, so they don't really count

also, keep in mind that the Gate of Azure city was a secret only known by a select group of paladins and that most people of Azure City had evacuated by the time the gate blew up, so most Azurites don't even know these things EXIST, including the nobles.

so yea, the Azurites aren't a side in the gates, because they would need to have a different goal involving the Gates than the other six, and since the few who do know are on the OOTS side, and all the others don't know about the Gates, that automatically makes them on the OOTS's side.

David Argall
2009-07-02, 05:58 PM
There is no way this will be left as a single panel joke. I bet you 10gp on that.

Well, it may reach 3-4 panels, but this is a problem the fiends must handle, and handle off-stage. As far as the party is concerned, nothing is going to happen, and we will see very little either.

David Demola
2009-07-02, 06:02 PM
{Scrubbed}

Raenir Salazar
2009-07-02, 06:03 PM
and yet there are those who doubted.

Morgan Wick
2009-07-02, 08:00 PM
Well, it may reach 3-4 panels, but this is a problem the fiends must handle, and handle off-stage. As far as the party is concerned, nothing is going to happen, and we will see very little either.

Do you specialize in unlikely-to-blatantly-wrong predictions?

OK, yes, Tiamat screaming at the fiends suggests maybe she isn't going to go after V directly, but the context of the panel suggests otherwise. Maybe Tiamat takes away some time from the fiends, but that needs to be on-panel and maybe an entire strip according to the rules for Chekhov's Gun; since it's already been established that they have almost 45 minutes, for them to have less than that probably needs to be established beforehand. Regardless it's going to have some impact on what V does. And if you mean "as far as the party is concerned, nothing is going to happen" even from the fiends' involvement because Tiamat takes it all away, you're effectively saying that whole subplot was a red herring.

JonestheSpy
2009-07-03, 01:46 AM
Hmm, I figured that Tiamat would be pissed enough to go gunning for V, it didn't occur to me that she'd realize that the IFCC was so involved.

If the OotS are lucky, that means the fiends can run interference for them, though in this case "lucky" is a very mixed term, as it means that V will be kept safe to play his part in the IFCC's plans.

aboyd
2009-07-03, 01:58 AM
You have such a great track record so far. I'm sure Rich will note your imperative and ignore it to the letter.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-03, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tiamat playing a much larger role before long. We're at the stage of the arc where all the action is done, so it's time to set up a little of what's to come in the next book.

It reminds me a little of the introduction of Qarr (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) last time round.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 03:20 AM
They'll have to calm her down at the very least. Wouldn't it be funny if one of them had to give up some of their time to her? Especially since they "have more than enough" for... whatever.

I doubt Tiamat is going to be interested in that. But something along the lines "Ok, you can keep it as long as as it lives. But when the elf dies... it is MINE!" (MINE is echoed five times)

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 03:26 AM
I think you're all forgetting that tiamat has five heads.

therefore she's five of the nine sides.:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

pnewman
2009-07-03, 03:41 AM
I think you're all forgetting that tiamat has five heads.

And since she's holding on 5 different phone lines this suggests that she has five heads. Therefore either her black head wasn't killed by the Familicide or it got better. You wouldn't really expect even that Epic a spell to have affected a Goddess of her power, but it's nice to be sure. V said that 'every living creature that shares your bloodline is dead' not 'every living creature that is descended from you is dead', therefore the spell should have gone up the line killing the mother black dragons parent, her grandparents, etc, until it got all the way to Tiamat. Maybe Goddesses don't count as alive? Maybe it only got targets on the same plane? [Which is kind of sloppy spell-casting and would mean that any other related black dragons that happened to be on another plane at the time of the casting are also fine and may be ready to seek revenge on V when they return....]

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-07-03, 06:00 AM
:biggrin: this is gonna be funny....

pasko77
2009-07-03, 06:03 AM
So now we know that T stands for Tiamat and not for Thakisis.

It does not matter much, does it?

factotum
2009-07-03, 06:52 AM
I think we knew that anyway, considering Takhisis was a name specific to the Dragonlance setting and never appeared anywhere else as far as I know.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-03, 07:13 AM
I knew it.

So did everyone. And their dogs. And their D&D characters. And their D&D characters' familiars/special mounts/animal companions/dogs/etc. And so on.

yanmaodao
2009-07-03, 07:39 AM
I doubt Tiamat can go gunning after V, exactly. She's still a god, and gods in the OotS-verse can't intervene directly with the world. I can see waves of reptilian humanoids and cultists coming after the Order in the Western Continent, though. Good source of XP, I must say, though likely the Order, or V specifically, will probably suffer one more harrowing consequence yet.

As for why Tiamat's black head wasn't killed by Familicide... either even that Epic level spell can't affect gods, Tiamat has a godly saving throw, or Tiamat is unrelated to Mama Dragon.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 07:46 AM
I doubt Tiamat can go gunning after V, exactly.

Sure they can. Vaarusvius just has to go into the "right" corner of the world.

But that does not mean dragons as well as cultists and even mercenaries might start to hunt Vaarsuvius. I fail to see why Tiamat with the help of other dragons should not be able to put a bounty of a million goldpieces (or even ten!) on the elf's head... entire countries would start to hunt for Vaarsuvius!

No matter what happens or how the end will come (even excluding the fiend-deal): I doubt Vaarsuvius has more time left than Belkar...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-03, 07:50 AM
I fail to see why Tiamat with the help of other dragons should not be able to put a bounty of a million goldpieces (or even ten!) on the elf's head... entire countries would start to hunt for Vaarsuvius!
You know of nations who'd hunt a high-level wizard for TEN GOLDPIECES?!?!

No matter what happens or how the end will come (even excluding the fiend-deal): I doubt Vaarsuvius has more time left than Belkar...
And I doubt that.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 07:58 AM

"ten" goldpieces? Re-read the line and see if you find another interpretation of that section that makes more sense (a lot), especially based in the claim that "entire countries would move for it".

I'm sure you'll find the solution you could also interpret it as "ten million goldpieces", which really, really makes more sense then the quoted section above.

MickJay
2009-07-03, 09:49 AM
Do you think she's more angry at the pointy-eared monkey, or the fiends who gave it the metaphorical gun?

Stanfield22
2009-07-03, 10:04 AM
I'm pasting this argument from the OOTS #667 thread, and tailoring it to support cases here. Please don't hate me for it. :smallbiggrin:

I'm of the belief that Tiamat only has CERTAIN aspects of control over seeing the future. The Oracle's messages to the heroes are generally pretty cryptic (which we all know led Belkar to kill that mangy little Kobold), but I wouldn't be led to believe that Tiamat's not dispensing everything she has to the Oracle; after all the Oracle itself (herself?) is a gift to the draconic races, and therefore, little more than a servant, one could presume.

I could further this by believing that Tiamat's powers have certain extension over the draconic races; hence the Lizardmen popping up at the opportune time to resurrect the Oracle, followed by receiving info on when next to return.

This would also explain Tiamat's ability to send her black dragon after Var, but why Var's Familicide went undetected. This would explain why she's right pissed at the demons.

Tenebrais
2009-07-03, 10:09 AM
Of course, it could well be that she did know it would happen. That wouldn't stop her being angry about it.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 10:10 AM
Do you think she's more angry at the pointy-eared monkey, or the fiends who gave it the metaphorical gun?

THAT is a very interesting question. I guess she's calling the fiends to find out about that herself right now.

But I, personally, think the pointy eared monkey is the guilty one here.

Blackjackg
2009-07-03, 10:45 AM
..........the sapphire guard is dead.............the "various factions of Azurites" seem to be more focused on surviving and getting their city back.........I don't see how they have anything to do with the Gates and even if they ARE, they are more like on the OOTS side here, so they don't really count

also, keep in mind that the Gate of Azure city was a secret only known by a select group of paladins and that most people of Azure City had evacuated by the time the gate blew up, so most Azurites don't even know these things EXIST, including the nobles.

so yea, the Azurites aren't a side in the gates, because they would need to have a different goal involving the Gates than the other six, and since the few who do know are on the OOTS side, and all the others don't know about the Gates, that automatically makes them on the OOTS's side.

I never said that they were sides vying for the gates. For the record, neither did Redcloak. He said "conflict," and that includes groups that are involved for other reasons. Heck, differing goals is basically what distinguishes sides. Therefore, the roaches' 9+ should include what remains of the Sapphire Guard (all three of them) whose goals are manifestly different from those of the OotS, as well as the Azure City resistance(s) and, at that time, Kubota, Qarr and any other dissident elements. It doesn't matter if they're going for the McGuffin or not... if they oppose one or more of the existing sides, they should be counted independently.

Kish
2009-07-03, 11:49 AM
If Tiamat asked them to? They'd consider the ten gold pieces a bonus on the actual payment of "you may continue to live."

The Pilgrim
2009-07-03, 05:30 PM
Sure they can. Vaarusvius just has to go into the "right" corner of the world.

And that's exactly where they are going to go. Gate in the Western Continent anyone?

Not to mention that Elan's father Army had a T as symbol... we all assume Tyrinaria... but... maybe Tiamat? or both?

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-03, 05:43 PM
I think we knew that anyway, considering Takhisis was a name specific to the Dragonlance setting and never appeared anywhere else as far as I know.
And also because Tiamat was referred to by name way back in #273 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html).

David Argall
2009-07-03, 06:36 PM
OK, yes, Tiamat screaming at the fiends suggests maybe she isn't going to go after V directly, but the context of the panel suggests otherwise.
How?

Maybe Tiamat takes away some time from the fiends, but that needs to be on-panel and maybe an entire strip according to the rules for Chekhov's Gun; since it's already been established that they have almost 45 minutes, for them to have less than that probably needs to be established beforehand.
While Tiamat is unlikely to be paid off in terms of minutes of V, we don't need to know the terms of the deal at all. All we need to know is that an evil plot is being made and terrible things will happen if it succeeds. That doesn't even require another panel, at least until the plot becomes active.

Regardless it's going to have some impact on what V does. And if you mean "as far as the party is concerned, nothing is going to happen" even from the fiends' involvement because Tiamat takes it all away, you're effectively saying that whole subplot was a red herring.
No, it was a side-quest. It's a red herring only in the sense Samantha and the bandits was a red herring. People were just eager to have this development and so insisted on thinking it meant something no matter what the evidence. Samantha got killed in part to stop such nonsense, and we may see a bit more about Tiamat for the same reason, but the killing of the dragons was there to show V as super-powerful, not for plot development.

dr.cello
2009-07-03, 06:53 PM
The context of the last panel is clearly that the "no harm done" refers to V's soul now belonging to the fiends for 45 minutes; Tiamat's appearance just doesn't read like foreshadowing. The fiends seem exasperated, rather than concerned that she is going to thwart their plans by killing V early.