PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How do we fix Combat Expertise?

Frosty
2009-07-02, 04:52 PM
As it is, it kinda sucks and is usually only taken so you can take other feats. I mean, not only is there a 5 bonus cap, but it also makes you WORSE OFF in some circumstances! Combat Expertise is kinda like being able to fight defensively really well, yet if you use CE, you will be EASIER TO DISARM because Disarm involves an opposed attack roll. I mean what's up with that?

Perhaps limit CE to Base Attack Bonus just like with Power Attack?

Keld Denar
2009-07-02, 04:55 PM
Perhaps limit CE to Base Attack Bonus just like with Power Attack?

This. Also, make it so that it increases your AC and gives you an equal bonus to resist Bullrush, Trip, Disarm, and Sunder attempts. That makes sense to me. That way defending yourself doesn't result in foes taking advantage of you.

AstralFire
2009-07-02, 04:57 PM
Random off-the-cuff idea - when using Combat Expertise with Two Weapons or a Weapon and Shield, you gain double the bonus to AC as normal. You may substitute your Armor Class for your attack roll to defend against Disarm, Grapple, Sunder and Trip attacks. Your Armor Class gains any bonuses a feat or class ability would normally grant your attack roll to defend against these attempts.

Justin B.
2009-07-02, 05:00 PM
I rule that when using a shield, you apply 2x the bonus to AC that you sacrifice from BAB.

Making it capless also makes sense, because you can become unhittable, but you can't hit anything. Makes sense to me.

Gralamin
2009-07-02, 05:35 PM
Random off-the-cuff idea - when using Combat Expertise with Two Weapons or a Weapon and Shield, you gain double the bonus to AC as normal. You may substitute your Armor Class for your attack roll to defend against Disarm, Grapple, Sunder and Trip attacks. Your Armor Class gains any bonuses a feat or class ability would normally grant your attack roll to defend against these attempts.

I was actually thinking something similiar.
Uncap it, but when using Combat Expertise with a One-handed weapon and empty off-hand(s), you gain double the bonus.

AstralFire
2009-07-02, 05:44 PM
Sure, why not? I just suggested things as I did for an answer to Power Attack.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-02, 06:24 PM
Maybe make CE give a bonus on opposed attack rolls made to defend, instead of a penalty?

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-02, 08:57 PM
You may substitute your Armor Class for your attack roll to defend against Disarm, Grapple, Sunder and Trip attacks. Your Armor Class gains any bonuses a feat or class ability would normally grant your attack roll to defend against these attempts.

I really like this idea. :smallsmile:

Draz74
2009-07-02, 09:14 PM
My favorite quick fix for Combat Expertise is to make it pretty much include the effects of the Martial Study (Wall of Blades) feat.

Jergmo
2009-07-02, 09:33 PM
My friend and I fixed this problem by saying that the opposing rolls allow you to add your Dodge bonuses to the roll. You still lose a little bit if you're using CE and Fighting Defensively, but it's a lot better.

Lycanthromancer
2009-07-02, 09:38 PM
You receive 5% cover-based miss-chance for every point of BAB you pump into it (max: 100%). Cannot use it to hide. Also, it does not affect sneak-attacks (rogues are screwed enough as it is).