PDA

View Full Version : Buy me something! (Or, More accurately, find me something to buy)

Mr. Mud
2009-07-02, 05:30 PM
Okay, so, I have next to no time to post this, as I am losing laptop battery power, but tonight at 12:00am my $30 giftcard to Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com), expires... and I have no idea what to get...

Useful Info... I have..:
Yet to read any of Pratchett
An Xbox 360, and a Wii... and a game reviewing blog...
A Gaming Computer that can basically run anything out, thus far...
DVD player.
A girlfriend... >.> <.<.
A need for more D&D 4E books.

I was thinking getting Guild Wars and a band tee maybe, or something, but I turn to YOU to post your wacky, and insanely awesome ideas for what I should buy, Now! :smallbiggrin:

Alteran
2009-07-02, 05:33 PM

I would recommend buying the Adventurer's Vault and a Martial/Arcane/Divne Power book for whatever character you're playing. The first two are out now, Divine Power is out on July 21st, and I think Primal Power comes out sometime in September.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-02, 05:37 PM
I would recommend buying the Adventurer's Vault and a Martial/Arcane/Divne Power book for whatever character you're playing. The first two are out now, Divine Power is out on July 21st, and I think Primal Power comes out sometime in September.

I'm the DM :smallbiggrin:.

And my group sort of wants to switch to Star Wars d20 (also by WOTC) which I'm kind of dreading... so unless I find a great deal, that's a no-no.

mikeejimbo
2009-07-02, 05:45 PM
I was thinking getting Guild Wars and a band tee maybe, or something, but I turn to YOU to post your wacky, and insanely awesome ideas for what I should buy, Now! :smallbiggrin:

As much as I loved Guild Wars back in the day, I would actually recommend against that. With GW2 coming out (eventually), the original is kind of dying down.

RS14
2009-07-02, 05:50 PM
Reminds me of when Circuit City filed for bankruptcy and I had a gift certificate sitting around. :smallbiggrin:

Amazon doesn't yet... Oh wow, they do sell ammunition! Poor selection though; get something else.

World of Goo is cool. I hear good things about the Combat Mission series, if you like RTT games.

Knaight
2009-07-02, 05:58 PM
And my group sort of wants to switch to Star Wars d20 (also by WOTC) which I'm kind of dreading... so unless I find a great deal, that's a no-no.

Its actually a really good system, and it can be retooled to fit fantasy really easily. I would recommend using the gift card on it. Otherwise if your interested in role playing games beyond 4e at all (and you should be, there are some really good ones, D&D isn't the be all end all of role playing anymore), you could pick up both Burning Wheel and Savage Worlds. Burning Wheel is two books for $20, all you need to play, Savage Words is one book for $10, also all you need to play. Barring character sheets in both cases.

billtodamax
2009-07-02, 06:22 PM
Useful Info... I have..:
:eek:
Get yourself a terry pratchett book, right now! I suggest guards guards and men at arms.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-07-02, 07:10 PM
I would actually start with Small Gods. It's one of his best, and it is a good read stand-alone, to get a feel for his writing style.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-02, 07:23 PM
Hmm... okay. Well, let's try and answer everyone...

On Starwars: I mean, to me, all roleplaying is fun, but we have just started D&D. I'm not exactly sure if we're even doing initiatives right... But leaving our about to level (to level 2...) characters, for a whole new system almost feels like I'd be cheating on D&D... I at least want to get a feel for it, before I sell it used... I mean, the original - in almost all cases - is one of the best.

On Terry Pratchett: I sort of want to start with Color of Magic, which I can easily borrow from my neighbor... and I don't wanna risk $30 on his books, even if there is a 1% chance of dissatisfaction.

On the Games: I have The Combat Mission Series. it's epic. And... what's world of Goo like? I think I can't go wrong with Guild War as a few friends have it... and some of you :smalltongue:.

Can anyone find me something super wacky to buy?

RS14
2009-07-02, 08:18 PM
In World of Goo, you use gooballs to construct bridges and towers and such to reach an exit point.

Gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A_JfkzPwww).
Demo (http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=demo).

Mr. Mud
2009-07-02, 08:23 PM
Hmm... It seems like Fantastic Contraption.

evnafets
2009-07-02, 08:42 PM
Get
- something for the girlfriend
- think what birthdays are coming up and get something for that person
- this souvenir (http://www.amazon.com/Airport-Italy-Messenger-Yellow-Barcode/dp/B001TBYUNM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1246585329&sr=8-2) for the next time you're in Rome :smallbiggrin:

Lupy
2009-07-02, 10:38 PM
1) No one dislikes Mr. Pratchett
2) Small Gods is the best place to start. Then Guards! Guards!

billtodamax
2009-07-02, 10:44 PM
Looks like I'm outvoted. Get yourself small gods then guards guards. I don't like Rincewind as much as the other characters he has for some reason.

reorith
2009-07-02, 11:03 PM
1) No one dislikes Mr. Pratchett
2) Small Gods is the best place to start. Then Guards! Guards!

i dislike mr. pratchett :/ my feelings, they are hurt.

dish
2009-07-03, 07:36 AM
So, what did you choose?

While the Discworld books certainly don't have to be read in chronological order of publication, I feel that is a perfectly reasonable and rational choice. Just be aware that The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are actually one book chopped into two, and while reading them you are observing the genesis of Discworld. The Colour of Magic starts off as a parody of other fantasy writers, but then, as he hits The Light Fantastic, Mr Pratchett starts to realise that the world he has created is more interesting that any of the parodies he's been doing, and he starts to run with it.

The books most people will list as their favourites don't start appearing until nearer the middle of the series - what I like to think of as the 'Golden Age' of Discworld - but that doesn't mean the earier books ('Silver Age'?) don't have merit. Many of them have very interesting premises, and are quite hilarious in their own right.

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 07:39 AM
^: Nor are the later books bad either.

:smallconfused:Wait... don't you already have a girlfriend, and thus a more appropriate thing would have been a gift for her, possibly some kind of marital aid? :smalltongue:

Also, I too am curious as to what you settled on.

Lord Loss
2009-07-03, 07:43 AM
TERRY PRATCHETT!!!

i reccomend, from land of disc
And at risk
of having Witch who will die,
in A hat full of sky
thrown at my head
until I turn red

I think you should get the one with the Miniature blue people. :smallbiggrin: First one i read. I liked it. Something about wee men.. can't remember the title...

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 07:47 AM
TERRY PRATCHETT!!!

i reccomend, from land of disc
And at risk
of having Witch who will die,
in A hat full of sky
thrown at my head
until I turn red

I think you should get the one with the Miniature blue people. :smallbiggrin: First one i read. I liked it. Something about wee men.. can't remember the title...

Wee Free Men.

Then Hat full of Sky.

Then Wintersmith. That's her so far.

HellfireLover
2009-07-03, 07:48 AM
Wee Free Men. I wrote a college dissertation on that one (Scottish stereotypes as portrayed by non-Scots.)

The dissertation didn't ruin the book for me, and that's rare.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 08:03 AM
Wee Free Men. I wrote a college dissertation on that one (Scottish stereotypes as portrayed by non-Scots.)

The dissertation didn't ruin the book for me, and that's rare.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Thought still interesting information. Dissertation, you say?

Lord Loss
2009-07-03, 08:05 AM
Thanks. I didn't like wintersmith as much as the other though...:smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2009-07-03, 10:04 AM
I ended up getting...
Guild Wars: Nightfall,
The Color of Magic, AND
Small Gods. :smalltongue:.

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 11:53 AM
I ended up getting...
Guild Wars: Nightfall,
The Color of Magic, AND
Small Gods. :smalltongue:.

Can't comment on the first one, but those last two are good choices in my book.

Then again, I liked Small Gods so much I bought two copies. Maybe 3... At least one ended up getting given as a gift though and the others are mostly for indoctrination purposes... :smallamused:

mikeejimbo
2009-07-03, 12:11 PM
I didn't like Nightfall as much as Prophecies, but I liked it better than Factions.

imp_fireball
2009-07-03, 06:04 PM
Okay, so, I have next to no time to post this, as I am losing laptop battery power, but tonight at 12:00am my $30 giftcard to Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com), expires... and I have no idea what to get...

Useful Info... I have..:
An Xbox 360, and a Wii... and a game reviewing blog...
A Gaming Computer that can basically run anything out, thus far...
DVD player.
A girlfriend... >.> <.<.

How about some... oh, I don't know... 3.5e books?! 4e sucks! *lights molotov and throws it*