PDA

View Full Version : Prophecy Twists (Spoiler)

MReav
2009-07-02, 05:31 PM
Roy seems to believe that Belkar will live at most 7 weeks. Personally, I think Belkar has longer to live because the Oracle, being from the Southern Continent, works by a different calendar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). So, Belkar will "Draw his last breath, ever" before the Southern Calender year is out, but that will take more time to complete than the Northern Calendar.

Aris Katsaris
2009-07-02, 05:58 PM
Roy seems to believe that Belkar will live at most 7 weeks. Personally, I think Belkar has longer to live because the Oracle, being from the Southern Continent, works by a different calendar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). So, Belkar will "Draw his last breath, ever" before the Southern Calender year is out, but that will take more time to complete than the Northern Calendar.

Possible, but then again the Oracle knew he was addressing Roy, and may have been using the calendar Roy was most familiar with. We don't really have a way to tell.

Trizap
2009-07-02, 06:01 PM
Possible, but then again the Oracle knew he was addressing Roy, and may have been using the calendar Roy was most familiar with. We don't really have a way to tell.

............you do remember when Roy asked him where Xykon was and Oracle told him "in his throne room" right?

Morgan Wick
2009-07-02, 08:02 PM

And conversely, Roy has to know that the Oracle does work by a different calendar.

Trizap
2009-07-02, 08:26 PM
And conversely, Roy has to know that the Oracle does work by a different calendar.

..........correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Azurites already have their New Year? before the time skip, right before they go off to see the Oracle?

so lets see.................either Belkar is dying in seven weeks (meaning 2 months) if we are going by Northern calender.........or approx. 8 months, going by Southern Calender.

guess we will find out which calender will be right in seven weeks.

Porthos
2009-07-02, 11:09 PM
..........correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Azurites already have their New Year? before the time skip, right before they go off to see the Oracle?

so lets see.................either Belkar is dying in seven weeks (meaning 2 months) if we are going by Northern calender.........or approx. 8 months, going by Southern Calender.

guess we will find out which calender will be right in seven weeks.

It's been many many months since the New Year, even by Azurite standards. After all, Kazumi Kato is very heavily pregnant. And that doesn't just happen in a couple of months. :smalltongue:

Random832
2009-07-02, 11:17 PM
My guess would be the southern calendar's new year is only about a month or so later than the northern calendar's - like the Chinese New Year relative to the gregorian calendar in our own world - late-January/mid-February.

spargel
2009-07-02, 11:45 PM
My guess would be the southern calendar's new year is only about a month or so later than the northern calendar's - like the Chinese New Year relative to the gregorian calendar in our own world - late-January/mid-February.

I don't think that's how it works.

Random832
2009-07-02, 11:49 PM
I don't think that's how it works.
Huh? Why wouldn't it be? What's wrong with what I said?

spargel
2009-07-02, 11:51 PM
Huh? Why wouldn't it be? What's wrong with what I said?

Just because the calenders in our world is a month or two different doesn't mean the calenders in OOTS is going to be like that.

Random832
2009-07-02, 11:52 PM
Just because the calenders in our world is a month or two different doesn't mean the calenders in OOTS is going to be like that.

Well, all we have is "a few months" from Elan, which would mean the difference is quite a bit less than 7 weeks vs eight months.

TMC
2009-07-03, 12:12 AM
I think Belkar is just going to get raised as a Sentient Undead anyway. Just because it's not breathing doesn't mean it can't be a sexy shoeless god of war.

HZ514
2009-07-03, 12:16 AM
The debate between Northern/Southern calendar could turn into a plot point/twist. Roy and whoever else is in the loop could expect Belkar to kick it in the next seven weeks, and be surprised when he doesn't. Then, they might accost the oracle (probably not by going to the valley again, but somehow) at which point he'll snidely point out the fact that he's a Southerner and how they should've known that.

Morquard
2009-07-03, 02:10 AM
Why does everyone think the 7 weeks refer to Belkar's death and the end of the year?

Roy obviously has some plan, he tells Haley straight out that he thinks they can beat Xykon in 7 weeks. He send his Archon on some mission which most likely has something to do with it too. And who knows what else he arranged.

He basicly said: "Belkar is faking his change, he works towards some secret plot, which knowing Belkar is not a good thing. But if it takes him longer than 7 weeks to pull off, then we don't have to worry, because by then we have defeated Xykon and his plan can't screw that up anymore. After that he can do what he wants for the few months he has left".

Yes sure it can refer to Belkars death, not denying it, I just don't think it does.

Also remember when its said "before the end of the year" it doesn't mean it has to happen on New Years Eve, it can happen in August too, so the prophecy is just a very very loose timeframe.