PDA

View Full Version : Why lines 2, 3, 5, 8 and 11?

Calavera
2009-07-02, 05:33 PM
If the 8 was changed to 7 then I'd think it was a joke about the prime material plane, but it isn't and the numbers seem carefully picked, so what's the joke?

Alteran
2009-07-02, 05:34 PM
It's also almost the fibonacci sequence, the 11 just needs to be a 13. I think it may just be random.

Flickerdart
2009-07-02, 05:36 PM
I'm wondering why not lines 1 through 5. Have the actions of the fiends attracted unwanted attention of 6 other powerful beings?

mikeejimbo
2009-07-02, 05:40 PM
It's also almost the fibonacci sequence, the 11 just needs to be a 13. I think it may just be random.

Oh yeah, you're right. Huh, I thought it was the Fibonacci sequence when I glanced at it.

Or maybe I just can't add.

Teddy
2009-07-02, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering why not lines 1 through 5. Have the actions of the fiends attracted unwanted attention of 6 other powerful beings?

Nah, it's just their aunts that never stops talking. Those lines were trown into a container of profanuclear waste and shipped into the voidstone field on the NEP.

The Giant
2009-07-02, 05:43 PM
They are just random numbers. There is no significance.

Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-02, 05:45 PM

Ten gold pieces say there is a hidden meaning in this message.

Optimystik
2009-07-02, 05:46 PM

Thank you! I was afraid we were going XKCD for a minute there.

Trizap
2009-07-02, 05:46 PM

well lets see................

big freakin' lightning of arcane energy suddenly appears throughout the whole world and slaughters 1/4 of the black dragon population within like seconds or something?
hmmmmmmmm..............kinda hard to miss I would think.

I think Bahamut would also have words to say about this, he may be good but he is also a dragon to.......the The Dragon of Azure City's twelve gods also might be angry.......oh and their respective god-bosses of the underworld might be angry as well.........and I imagine a couple other gods, like a god of death or something, might be calling to.

rainbowjo
2009-07-02, 05:47 PM
Ill bet you just rolled 5 d12 didn't you Rich?

Cleverdan22
2009-07-02, 05:49 PM
Rich, do you mean to tell me that Vaarsuvius pulling his hair back into a ponytail wasn't supposed to represent his struggle between good and evil?

:smalltongue:

shadzar
2009-07-02, 05:56 PM

:smallredface: Well ruined a few hours of fun for me trying to figure out if there was something to the sequence, but still funny none-the-less.

You could always change it to 13 just to throw people off in the print version of the book, and have some random NPC named Leo to make people wonder if there IS a connection.

:smallbiggrin:

And where there are people reading thing, there is always a hidden meaning even when their isn't. That's what conspiracy theorists want us to believe at least. :smallwink:

Also it still is Fibonacci as is. A section of it repeating....for those that want to make conspiracies.

1-1-2-3-5-8
2-3-5-8-11

:smallwink:

David Demola
2009-07-02, 06:08 PM

Wait...is there a hidden meaning in you saying that there is no hidden meaning?

Let's make, like, 20,000 threads devoted just to this topic.

Ready, Set, hike.

~Dave

Willis888
2009-07-02, 06:21 PM
It is an anti-Fibonacci sequence that is relevant to unholy geometry.

It skips 1 number, then skips 1 number, then skips 2 numbers, then skips 3 numbers.

shadzar
2009-07-02, 06:27 PM
It is an anti-Fibonacci sequence that is relevant to unholy geometry.

It skips 1 number, then skips 1 number, then skips 2 numbers, then skips 3 numbers.

:smallconfused: and you explain the 8 to 11 how?

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-02, 06:31 PM
Actually, if you add the 8 and 11, then subtract the other three numbers, you get ten, which is obviously another reference to ten gold bets, and is neatly also twice the number of heads Tiamat has. Rich is simply obfuscating this for his own ineffable reasons.

Warning: Above post contains sarcasm. Namely, the entire thing. Gotcha.

Kaytara
2009-07-02, 06:42 PM
Actually, if you add the 8 and 11, then subtract the other three numbers, you get ten, which is obviously another reference to ten gold bets, and is neatly also twice the number of heads Tiamat has. Rich is simply obfuscating this for his own ineffable reasons.

Warning: Above post contains sarcasm. Namely, the entire thing. Gotcha.

I actually laughed at this. :) Mere hours after the release of the comic and we're already genetically engineering new breeds of epileptic trees for fun.

Liwen
2009-07-02, 06:49 PM

:vaarsuvius:And what exactly would the problem with that be?

XKCD FTW. :smalltongue:

Cen
2009-07-02, 06:58 PM

How could You know?

;-)

Thanatosia
2009-07-02, 07:08 PM
http://xkcd.com/587/

Hurkyl
2009-07-02, 08:13 PM
Rich, do you mean to tell me that Vaarsuvius pulling his hair back into a ponytail wasn't supposed to represent his struggle between good and evil?

Of course not! It was obviously law vs chaos.

dbat19
2009-07-02, 08:25 PM
wait, how can Tiamat be on five line the same time?
i know she have 5 heads, but she don't have 5 hands......so how is she going to hold all those phone at the same time?:smallconfused:

JT Jag
2009-07-02, 08:28 PM

Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.Or... DO they?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-02, 08:29 PM
Or... DO they?

No. No, they don't.

Sometimes, a cigar is simply not a phallic symbol, no matter how hard you want it to be one. It's tobacco rolled in and smoked.

Trizap
2009-07-02, 08:33 PM
No. No, they don't.

Sometimes, a cigar is simply not a phallic symbol, no matter how hard you want it to be one. It's tobacco rolled in and smoked.

this strip agrees (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0308.html)

Moff Chumley
2009-07-02, 08:35 PM

Oh, you'll see! When The Giant makes some murky reference to these numerals a hundred odd comics down the line, I shall quote this post and LAUGH! The Giant always plans these things out, because he is a super-mega-awesome genius.

I mean, the GALL to doubt The Giant! What's the world coming to?

shadzar
2009-07-02, 08:36 PM
i know she have 5 heads, but she don't have 5 hands......so how is she going to hold all those phone at the same time?:smallconfused:

How do they even have phones then?

If you accept they have phones, and Tiamat is still the bitch of all evil, then she can have bluetooth headsets for each head.

Flickerdart
2009-07-02, 08:44 PM

There are 88 characters in that two-line post. 88/2=44. 2*(3*5)+8+11=49. Minus 5 (Tiamat's number of heads) and we get...THE SAME NUMBER. My gods...it's more insidious than I thought.

Furthermore, there are 88 characters. The 88th character by appearances is none other than the zitty goblin from Xykon's lair! The 44th is Jirix. Obviously Jirix had rescued the boy after he alone escaped the destruction of Dorukan's Dungeon, and now he has grown into a formidable Blackguard, come to take his revenge on Elan by killing the person he cares about most...Haley! In the attack, Durkon and Belkar will be slaughtered. But Haley will be unharmed, which is Elan's happy ending. In protecting her, V will say his actual 4 words, but not for Elan, but for himself, for he covets Haley for himself!

Mando Knight
2009-07-02, 08:46 PM

The Fivefold Mother works in tech support (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/1/). She knows her way around headsets. :smalltongue:

Linkavitch
2009-07-02, 08:49 PM
There are 88 letters in that two-line post. 88/2=44. 2*(3*5)+8+11=49. Minus 5 (Tiamat's number of heads) and we get...THE SAME NUMBER. My gods...it's more insidious than I thought.

This post is made of win. And also:

The Giant has spoken. We will now cower in the presence of his awesomeness.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-02, 09:18 PM

It's also possible that she is using all her new black dragon petitioners (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html) to dial for her.

On an unrelated note, can you imagine how much longer the battle would have been if V still had the third splice when she attacked Xykon?

ABB
2009-07-02, 09:26 PM

You know, I had a question but it wasn't about the numbers of the lines.

It was more about how tiamat could use 5 phones at once?

Now true, she has 5 heads and mouths, so one could assume she's theoretically capable of using 5 phones in the sense of speaking into and hearing from them. But how could she handle 5 phones at once?

I mean, she has 2 forepaws, which, apparently, dragons in OotS can use as manipulative limbs. But that leave 3 more phones to use.

I guess nothing specifically bars dragons in OotS from using their hind paws as manipulators, so maybe that's 4. As to the fifth, can a dragon use it's tail as a manipulative appendage?

Warren Dew
2009-07-02, 09:30 PM
Actually, if you add the 8 and 11, then subtract the other three numbers, you get ten

Actually, I get nine.

Maybe that's why I can't find the obvious conspiracy here.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-02, 09:30 PM

Now true, she has 5 heads and mouths, so one could assume she's theoretically capable of using 5 phones in the sense of speaking into and hearing from them. But how could she handle 5 phones at once?

People have posted theories about that on this thread in the comments. I posted one just before you added this comment. Here it is again.

It's also possible that she is using all her new black dragon petitioners (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html) to dial for her.

On an unrelated note, can you imagine how much longer the battle would have been if V still had the third splice when she attacked Xykon?

However, assuming Tiamat decided to act like a normal dragon, I guess that might work.

SaintRidley
2009-07-02, 09:32 PM

Epic level necromancer... Probably would have been shorter and V would have had some sort of spell to either completely destroy Xykon right off, or effectively gain control of Xykon and then have Xykon destroy himself.

I don't know. Just seems liable to have been the way Haerta's powers would have been used on Xykon.

SteveDJ
2009-07-02, 10:55 PM

I mean, she has 2 forepaws, which, apparently, dragons in OotS can use as manipulative limbs. But that leave 3 more phones to use.

I guess nothing specifically bars dragons in OotS from using their hind paws as manipulators, so maybe that's 4. As to the fifth, can a dragon use it's tail as a manipulative appendage?

Come on, people, it's simple... Bluetooth headsets with voice-activated dialing. :smallbiggrin:

Beorn080
2009-07-02, 10:57 PM
Well, if we are still allowed to post crazy theories, Comic 235 was when Roy used The Belt. Comic 811, therefore, must be when V's gender is revealed.

xyzzy
2009-07-02, 11:19 PM

No, that would be if the Giant was making comics about his disturbing fixation on some girl named Megan.

harami2000
2009-07-02, 11:23 PM
Just most things? :smallsmile: *ducks*

(As above) use of hands-free tech is a legal requirement whilst flying, etc., to wreak vengeance ^^

V'icternus
2009-07-02, 11:24 PM
I think Tiamat might be using extra-planer mental communication, that just happens to come into the fiend's realm in the form of a phone call. And, with five heads, and five brains, that's five calls.

Borris
2009-07-02, 11:58 PM
Come on people. It's clearly the Fibonacci sequence in a duodecimal (base 12) numbering system.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B 10 11 12...

11, converted to decimal is 1x12 + 1x1 = 13

Clearly the number 12 is of great importance here.

Bunnywolf
2009-07-03, 12:03 AM

The other lines probably were busy with forum members who wanted to get a first-hand opinion on the whole 616 vs 666 issue :smalltongue: (not trying to revive that discussion here)

Selene
2009-07-03, 12:13 AM
How do they even have phones then?

If you accept they have phones, and Tiamat is still the bitch of all evil, then she can have bluetooth headsets for each head.

Oh, Rich, please draw this! Even if it's just for bonus book material.

Firestar27
2009-07-03, 12:18 AM
The other lines probably were busy with forum members who wanted to get a first-hand opinion on the whole 616 vs 666 issue :smalltongue: (not trying to revive that discussion here)

What 616 vs. 666 issue? Was that brought up during my recent vacation from the forums?

HZ514
2009-07-03, 12:27 AM
There was a lot of expectations of 666 being somehow demonic-related because of the perception that 666 is Satan's number. Then a bunch of historians (presumably) mentioned how it was mistranslated/misrepresented, and that it's actually 616. Blah, blah, so on and so forth.

Needless to say, 666 was just 666, nothing less and nothing more.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-03, 12:56 AM
But how could she handle 5 phones at once?

considering she's over 100 feet tall and has claws the size of a Buick I'd imagine she has a push to talk system in place.

CliveStaples
2009-07-03, 01:32 AM

So what you're saying is that there's meaning in the fact that they have no meaning--that is, that not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.

I found the hidden meaning!

Roger_Druid
2009-07-03, 04:47 AM
OK, ...

2 is 2 (no secrets about that)
3 is 2 elevated on the power of 2 minus the 2-based logarithm of 2
5 is 2 elevated on the power of 3 (look above) minus 3 (again, look just above)
8 is 2 elevated on the power of 3 (look two lines above)
11 is 2 elevated on the power of 4 (which is 2 elevated on the power of 2) minus 5 (look two lines above)

So... Rich is up to a 'twin' comic!

Roger Druid

Morquard
2009-07-03, 05:01 AM
How she's using 5 phones? Easy:
2 paws, so 2 are quite obvious how.
3 heads cast Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit to dial and then Bugsby's Grasping Hand

Snake-Aes
2009-07-03, 05:15 AM
How she's using 5 phones? Easy:
2 paws, so 2 are quite obvious how.
3 heads cast Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit to dial and then Bugsby's Grasping Hand

Or, she's got 5 headsets.
Because, you know, the simpler explanation is obviously impossible.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-03, 05:30 AM
And we know for sure that headsets do exist (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0646.html) in OotS.

lothos
2009-07-03, 05:36 AM

Here is how (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/1/)....

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-03, 06:05 AM
I can't believe that you poor fools are counting, when the true wonder of Comic 667 is right before your eyes....

...If new V grew a beard, (s)he'd look just like the Giant if he dyed his hair and wore a dress.

You may now bow before my awesome intellect Please don't ban me.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-03, 06:09 AM

Oh yeah! How do you know? Did the giant personally PM you or something? I find that unlikely.

In closing, this post was purely meant to be sarcastic so I don't see the need to get me an infraction because of it, Giant, sir.

Blayze
2009-07-03, 06:13 AM
It's clearly a reference to strip 235811. It's all planned out, see, down to the tiniest detail, including the demon-possessed cactus and the kobold factory.

Teddy
2009-07-03, 07:26 AM
What I really can't grasp is how the secretary managed to get all five lines in her phone at the same time... And then we come to the 1 foot breath attack...

shadzar
2009-07-03, 10:09 AM
Oh, Rich, please draw this! Even if it's just for bonus book material.

With each headset playing different "wait for your party" music and each one singing the wrongs words to each song. :smallbiggrin:

:smalleek: If she is on hold on each of those lines, then how does her breath attacks comes through the phone? :smalleek: OH NO! Tiamat has become digital! Turn your speakers off before you get hit with a fireball!

MReav
2009-07-03, 10:33 AM
What is this thread talking about?

Edit, never mind, see it.

Finwe
2009-07-03, 11:03 AM

Or she uses telekinesis.
Because, you know, she's a FREAKING GODDESS.

Kupi
2009-07-03, 11:08 AM
Why lines 2, 3, 5, 8 and 11?

Because lines 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 were in use.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 11:14 AM
honestly guys if we keep doing this I don't think the giant is going to post here anymore.

you have to know when to hold em and when to fold em and now is the time to fold em.

FoE
2009-07-03, 11:46 AM

LIES! I know the truth! The numbers in this comic are part of a complex code that reveals the secret V's gender and the MitD's creature type!

Who got to you, Giant? The mind flayers? The devils? The spooky wizard by the coast?!

THE TRUTH WILL OUT, RICH! THE TRUTH WILL OUT!

Trizap
2009-07-03, 01:01 PM
honestly guys if we keep doing this I don't think the giant is going to post here anymore.

you have to know when to hold em and when to fold em and now is the time to fold em.

don't bother, the Internet gives you a -4 to wisdom whenever you log on.

David Argall
2009-07-03, 02:20 PM

I am definitely going to link to this post for some of our more "clever" ideas.

Prowl
2009-07-03, 02:54 PM
Wait, are the numbers actually random, or are they arbitrary?

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this!

Flickerdart
2009-07-03, 03:28 PM

2 is the average of 1d4. 3 is the average of 1d6. 5 is the average of 1d10. 8 is the average of 2d6 (each d6 is 3.5 rounded up to 4) and 11 is the average of 1d20 (all averages assume favourable rounding). Thus, V (d4 Wizard HD) and Haley (d6 Rogue HD) will be attacked (1d20 attack roll) by Roy (d10 Fighter HD) and his Greatsword (2d6 damage dice). Most likely, this is because Roy gets a copy of the Deva's report, and Haley tries to defend V. Dun dun dunn.

The d10 could also be the HD of the zitty goblin Blackguard that I've mentioned before. In fact, it's the most likely explanation. Of course, he joins up with the Linear guild, they all do. Perhaps as O-Chul's opposite, because O-Chul is awesome enough to count.

The MunchKING
2009-07-03, 03:35 PM

Handless headsets. :smalltongue:

Or she's a Goddess, she damn well floats the things. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

The MunchKING
2009-07-03, 03:36 PM

It IS the Bottom Line, cause the Stone Cold Giant Said so!!

Dalenthas
2009-07-03, 04:10 PM
2 is the average of 1d4. 3 is the average of 1d6. 5 is the average of 1d10. 8 is the average of 2d6 (each d6 is 3.5 rounded up to 4) and 11 is the average of 1d20 (all averages assume favourable rounding). Thus, V (d4 Wizard HD) and Haley (d6 Rogue HD) will be attacked (1d20 attack roll) by Roy (d10 Fighter HD) and his Greatsword (2d6 damage dice). Most likely, this is because Roy gets a copy of the Deva's report, and Haley tries to defend V. Dun dun dunn.

The d10 could also be the HD of the zitty goblin Blackguard that I've mentioned before. In fact, it's the most likely explanation. Of course, he joins up with the Linear guild, they all do. Perhaps as O-Chul's opposite, because O-Chul is awesome enough to count.

Except SEVEN is the average of 2d6. You can't round for your convienence, math does not work that way.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 05:32 PM
Except SEVEN is the average of 2d6. You can't round for your convienence, math does not work that way.

it doesn't?:smallconfused:

The Pilgrim
2009-07-03, 05:34 PM
2+3+5+8+11 = 29. Wich is exactly my age.

How The Giant knew my exact age amuses me.

Tenebrais
2009-07-03, 05:42 PM
3*5*8*11/2+(3*2)=666, thus making this a belated 666 special comic!

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-03, 05:43 PM
Except SEVEN is the average of 2d6. You can't round for your convienence.

You can if the DM doesn't catch you, but that's beside the point.:smallbiggrin:

Halvormerlinaky
2009-07-03, 10:53 PM

A wizard did it.

Barring that. One OMGWTFNOOOOOO all-powerful goddess did it. It's just a thought.

Halvormerlinaky
2009-07-03, 10:55 PM
Also, am I the only one who thought of that gods-awful 80s song? And also that the Giant was one evil sadist if he intended it thus. I mean, you can't be more evil than bad, yet annoyingly memorable 80s songs.

Flickerdart
2009-07-03, 11:24 PM
What part of "crackpot theory" eludes you, sir?

MCerberus
2009-07-03, 11:50 PM
Wait... the average 1d6 rounded up x2 is 8... but 2d6 averages to 7...

This is an obvious deviation from what it should be! The secret lies within the 8!

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-04, 05:51 AM
Actually, I get nine.

Maybe that's why I can't find the obvious conspiracy here.

I'm guessing you missed the white text at the end of the post which said the entire thing was sarcastic. I was mocking the typical planting of epileptic trees around here.

Sigh. I miss subtlety working.

Rotipher
2009-07-04, 03:25 PM

Or, Color Coded For Her Convenience, a bluetooth, a redtooth, a greentooth, a whitetooth, and a blacktooth headset. :smallwink:

mroozee
2009-07-04, 03:31 PM
When I saw the phone lines, my first thought was:

"Did he screw up the Fibonacci Sequence?"

and then I thought:

"If you take the positive integers and raise them to all of their positive integer powers (ignoring first powers) and list them in order, positions 2, 3, 5, 8, and 11 are where the powers of 2 fall." Note: if you leave in the first powers, it just looks like the integers so at that point, why bother?

[2], 4, 8, 16, 32, 64
[3], 9, 27
4, 16, 64 (duplicates of 2)
[5], 25
[6], 36
[7], 49
8, 64

1, 4*, 8*, 9, 16*, 25, 27, 32*, 36, 49, 64*

Which would be cool, but maybe he was thinking of the roots of:

f(x) = x^5 -29x^4 +309x^3 -1499x^2 +3298x -2640

It never dawned on me that they were just randomly selected :)

Selene
2009-07-04, 08:26 PM
Also, am I the only one who thought of that gods-awful 80s song? And also that the Giant was one evil sadist if he intended it thus. I mean, you can't be more evil than bad, yet annoyingly memorable 80s songs.

There's an 80s song about a dragon goddess being on hold? :smalleek: Must have missed that one...

xyzzy
2009-07-04, 09:06 PM

"Favorable rounding" makes the average 1d4 roll 3; the true average is 2.5. Same thing with 1d6 (should be 3.5 rounded to 4) and 1d10 (5.5 rounded to 6). Not to mention that 2d6 averages 7, as many others have brought up.

Now, here's my crackpot theory:they're just made up numbers that are funny, just like 42 in H2G2 is.

Selene: it's not actually 80's, like Halvormerlinaky thought --- 1977 song called Hotel California. That's obviously the only logical interpretation of that song possible!

Selene
2009-07-05, 12:14 AM
Selene: it's not actually 80's, like Halvormerlinaky thought --- 1977 song called Hotel California. That's obviously the only logical interpretation of that song possible!

He was talking about Hotel California?? Wow, ok. I don't see it, though. Nor do I think it's a "gods-awful" song. I <3 the Eagles.

Salty
2009-07-05, 12:24 AM
I can't believe that there are 78 posts (counting mine) talking about this after The Giant gave an official answer.

But seriously, since The Giant used the words "the comic" (or even more specifically, "the comic has a hidden meaning") in his reply, he is obviously referring to comics 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0002.html), 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html), 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0005.html), 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html), and 11 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0011.html). The only characters that are in all 5 of these comics are Haley and Belkar. This obviously means that something else is going to happen to them. I'm guessing either a romantic subplot or one of them kills the other. :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2009-07-05, 01:18 AM

I thought he did that just because his hair was all messed up from his previous beating :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2009-07-05, 01:39 PM
Okay guys, I think we're done.

King of Nowhere
2009-07-05, 04:24 PM
I was going to thank the giant for giving us the answer thus sparing hours of speculations, but apparently it didn't worked...

The Pilgrim
2009-07-05, 04:37 PM
(...)The only characters that are in all 5 of these comics are Haley and Belkar. This obviously means that something else is going to happen to them. I'm guessing either a romantic subplot or one of them kills the other. :smallbiggrin:

A theory wich is reinforced by Haley's recent experience (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html) in killing Chaotic Evil disfuncional murderers.

Clearly, Haley's murdering Crystal was a hint about the Rogue's role in the fulfillment of Belkar's prophecy.

Flickerdart
2009-07-05, 07:21 PM
"Favorable rounding" makes the average 1d4 roll 3; the true average is 2.5. Same thing with 1d6 (should be 3.5 rounded to 4) and 1d10 (5.5 rounded to 6). Not to mention that 2d6 averages 7, as many others have brought up.

Now, here's my crackpot theory:they're just made up numbers that are funny, just like 42 in H2G2 is.

Favorable rounding for my point, not for the roller. Pshaw.

lothos
2009-07-05, 09:09 PM
I tried to access the forums the other night and got this message:

Database backup in progress, please try again in 30 minutes.

What is the hidden significance of 30 minutes ? Is it a major conspiracy between the snarl, Xykon, MitD and Rich Burlew ? Perhaps Rich is trying to tell us that in 30 strips the comic will end ? Perhaps it's some kind of message about the database backup occurring for the next 30 minutes ?

If you take 30 and divide it by infinity, you get zero (rounding down), which is about as much sense as this posting makes.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-06, 05:09 AM
In all seriousness, I should like to thank Rich for settling one of the many, many insipid debates we get around here and doing just a few cutbacks on the government bailouts given to epileptic tree farmers in these parts.

While I myself don't mind a bit of far-reaching speculation over broad parts of the plot (like "What is the Linear Guild doing right now?" or making guesses), the people who obsess over the very tiniest things do get ah...vocal, to be polite.

Please don't take my use of this topic to poke fun at such people as a discouragement to nip any similarly silly Kennedy Assassination Conspiracy Theories in the bud, Rich.

Thanatosia
2009-07-06, 05:26 AM
There's an 80s song about a dragon goddess being on hold? :smalleek: Must have missed that one...
Maybe he ment 867-5309?

Ezbez
2009-07-06, 06:10 AM
Aha - so the numbers weren't just arbitrary, Giant! How could you explain this?! (http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/?q=2+3+5+8+11&sort=0&fmt=0&language=english&go=Search) Look at A006304 - "Taylor Series from Ramanujan's Lost Notebook." Is that a coincidence? I think not.

Or perhaps we shall pretend that A119014 and A006258 is a coincidence. Mere coincidence that Ms. Tiamat should call using increasingly accurate fractional approximations of e? e, of course, being the most divine of numbers.

Gosh, the internet makes it too easy to have conspiracy theories.

Selene
2009-07-07, 12:36 AM
Maybe he ment 867-5309?

Well, that one would fit the "gods-awful" part.

Rutskarn
2009-07-07, 01:30 AM
Okay, new theory.

Each of these numbers corresponds to a different letter of the alphabet: B, C, E, H, and K. BECHK...or CHEBK. Sound familiar? Of course not...because it's the true name of the Monster in the Darkness.

You see, the MitD (or Chebk) is actually a form of Tiamat. S/he's part of a scheme to reanimate the remains of Miko into their minion, which they can use to kill Belkar in such a way that he becomes a ghost.

This ghost Belkar will then haunt V, driving V to madness, alternately begging and demanding V's gender. Finally, V cracks, admitting, "I am a (insert sex here)." This unlocks V's repressed memories, thus unleashing V's dormant ultimate arcane powers.

Afterwards, V unravels the heavens, turning into a demon that only a person of pure blood can kill. Suddenly, it is revealed that Haley is an Aasimir--in fact, she has a tattoo saying, "I am an Aasimir." Also she's bisexual. She kills V.

This psychic backlash causes Xykon's crown to erupt, summoning the queen of the demon roaches, who comes down to the planet to reveal that Elan's father is the same man imprisoning Haley's father. They go to defeat him, only to reveal that he was the guy with the halberd all along. His cohort, the ninja waitress, fights Elan, ultimately losing. Just before she dies, she reveals the truth--she had an apprentice. Therkla.

Therkla manages to kill Roy again, right on the 1000th strip. Also, Durkon dies before she is taken down. Durkon's body is taken to his homeland, where it is resurrected. Doom then falls on his homeland as Xykon's forces arrive.

Turns out, one of Lord Soon's companions had put the last gate within Roy's sword, which had been taken with Durkon. Xykon fights the party, only to finally be slain.

It is then revealed that the entire comic was leading up to one epic "Yo Momma" joke directed at Keith Baker.
(Okay, what'd I miss?)

Kaytara
2009-07-07, 01:37 AM
Rutskarn, you are the Evil Overlord of epileptic trees. Allow me to prostrate myself before thee.

Skorj
2009-07-07, 01:45 AM
When I saw the phone lines, my first thought was:

"Did he screw up the Fibonacci Sequence?"

and then I thought:

"If you take the positive integers and raise them to all of their positive integer powers (ignoring first powers) and list them in order, positions 2, 3, 5, 8, and 11 are where the powers of 2 fall." Note: if you leave in the first powers, it just looks like the integers so at that point, why bother?

[2], 4, 8, 16, 32, 64
[3], 9, 27
4, 16, 64 (duplicates of 2)
[5], 25
[6], 36
[7], 49
8, 64

1, 4*, 8*, 9, 16*, 25, 27, 32*, 36, 49, 64*

Which would be cool, but maybe he was thinking of the roots of:

f(x) = x^5 -29x^4 +309x^3 -1499x^2 +3298x -2640

It never dawned on me that they were just randomly selected :)

To a person like this, never say "I just rode here in a taxi cab, with number 1729. Rather a dull nuber, don't you think?". :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2009-07-07, 01:57 AM

This post was the n. 6.
And the thread has touched the 4th page? That's amazing.

You guys are very... inventive. :smallwink:

Thanatosia
2009-07-07, 05:04 AM
The real question is who was on lines 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10?

Optimystik
2009-07-07, 08:53 AM
I am definitely going to link to this post for some of our more "clever" ideas.

But... think of the trees :smallfrown:

Here is how (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/1/)....

Win!

Boaromir
2009-07-07, 10:32 AM
Well, that one would fit the "gods-awful" part.

You mean the 'awesome' part.

Rutskarn
2009-07-07, 06:07 PM
Rutskarn, you are the Evil Overlord of epileptic trees. Allow me to prostrate myself before thee.

How can you say that? I forgot Mr. Scruffy, dammit!

Selene
2009-07-08, 12:16 AM
You mean the 'awesome' part.

Bleh, no I didn't! You like Tommy Tutone? :smalleek:

Ninja
2009-07-08, 06:18 PM
Yes Rutskarn, you forgot to say that Shojo implemented his mind, ideas and wisdom into Mr. Scruffy through the same arcane powers he used to cast a spell that stops anyone from reading O-Chul's mind with magic, with a cost to his own sanity, and that Mr. Scruffy will actually defeat the MitD once Xykon comes to Durkon's homeland, and he will do some in such a way we never see the MitD, except for one of his nails (which will incidentally cause an avalanche of thread's about it's identity, which will result in the break-down of the whole website and Rich will decide the world is simply not ready for OOTS and never repost them, and it shall remain a fairy-tale like story for our children, and an eternal mystery as to the what happened in the last 400 comics (as all the others will be printed)). I'm really surprised you missed this painfully obvious part, even though you managed to see inside Giant's mind and see what he planed for the OOTS.

Boaromir
2009-07-10, 02:08 AM
Bleh, no I didn't! You like Tommy Tutone? :smalleek:

I was kidding, honest!

Selene
2009-07-11, 02:51 AM
I was kidding, honest!

You promise?