PDA

View Full Version : 44mins, 16secs (spoilers)

Shanty Man
2009-07-02, 06:00 PM
What can the Fiends do with V's soul in slightly less than 3/4 of an hour?
Discuss.
I'm too tired to think of anything amnd am going to bed.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-02, 06:01 PM
What can the Fiends do with V's soul in slightly less than 3/4 of an hour?
Discuss.
I'm too tired to think of anything amnd am going to bed.

Twist the gate's spells.

Ridureyu
2009-07-02, 06:19 PM
A lot more than V did with a little over half that time.

Kareasint
2009-07-02, 06:31 PM
After assuming control of V, the Fiends can do just about anything.

Given their abilities, they might have another set of Soul Splices set up to allow them to take control of the next Gate. The next set can be configured in advance and placed on stand by.

Hardcore
2009-07-02, 06:37 PM
V failed to note the fiends didn't say she would be dead when they control his soul. Yes, they could take control over her when she is at one of the gates with the intent of spoling the party For Xykon, Redcloak AND the Order!
As has been noted; there are many sides in this plot!

Edric O
2009-07-02, 06:40 PM
Hmm, I haven't checked, but... do the terms of the contract at any point state explicitly that the fiends get their time with V's soul after V's death? Or is it just "your soul belongs to us for X amount of time" with no additional qualifications?

If it is without qualifications, then the fiends may be able to effectively take over V at any time. And they can do a lot with that.

Edit: Hardcore beat me to it by 3 minutes.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-02, 06:43 PM
The Macarena, the Charleston, the Hokey Pokey, and still have enough time left to use V to take over and/or unmake all creation, provided they use the time properly.

amanamana
2009-07-02, 07:31 PM
The Macarena, the Charleston, the Hokey Pokey, and still have enough time left to use V to take over and/or unmake all creation, provided they use the time properly.

Oh, you perverted mind! That's to horrific to contemplate.:smalleek:
I mean, unmaking all creation is one thing, but the Macarena?! That's just sick!:eek:

Lauren
2009-07-02, 07:40 PM
Listen to 'American Pie' 5.18 times.

valce
2009-07-02, 07:45 PM
Could they force V to do another Soul Splice? That would seem like a good fiend-worth catch-22

-C

Edit: The assumption being that V would then have to pay for the unwanted Soul Splice as well

Bracket
2009-07-02, 07:47 PM

Or they could start unmaking all creation, take a break to do the dancing, then resume.

mockingbyrd7
2009-07-02, 07:48 PM
Listen to 'American Pie' 5.18 times.

WHILE undoing creation! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Lauren
2009-07-02, 07:50 PM

The day the music AND ALL EXISTENCE died?

JT Jag
2009-07-02, 07:52 PM
Could they force V to do another Soul Splice? That would seem like a good fiend-worth catch-22

-C

Edit: The assumption being that V would then have to pay for the unwanted Soul Splice as wellThe soul splice hinges on totally free choice.

It would be bad advertising for this to turn out to be just another Faustian bargain. After all, they're using V as a test and for advertising.

Morgan Wick
2009-07-02, 07:53 PM
OMG it'll turn out the spell they need to cast takes exactly 45 minutes!!!!! I am teh brilliantz LOL

Porthos
2009-07-02, 08:45 PM
After all, they're using V as a test and for advertising.

Why would you take what the IFCC says at face value? :smallconfused:

Remember, even Qarr thinks that the IFCC is up to something here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html)

And the IFCC immediately agress that what they said to V was a load of hooey.

The key point to remember about all of this is that they are aware of the Gates, and thus the Snarl. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html)

So the question then becomes why wouldn't they use all of their agents at their disposal to gain control of the God Killing Abomination?

Think of V as a Manchurian Candidate right now. And much like the titular Candidate, he has absolutely no idea that he is a walking talking time bomb.

The only real question is how and when does he go off (and perhaps how many times). And, I suppose, will he even be aware of events while the IFCC plays with him. If he, from his point of view, started having random blackouts.... Well, it makes him all the more untracable, now doesn't it? :smallwink: If he isn't aware that he is actively working for the fiends at random intervals, then he can't alert anyone of what he is doing.

Anyway, should be interesting to see how it all plays out. :smallamused:

Ascension
2009-07-02, 09:12 PM
Think of V as a Manchurian Candidate right now. And much like the titular Candidate, he has absolutely no idea that he is a walking talking time bomb.

I'd argue that he knows good and well that he's a time bomb, but he's still too arrogant to tell anyone until it's too late.

Flickerdart
2009-07-02, 09:17 PM
Right when the Fiends manifest to take control of V, the best thing he can do is slash his throat and tell Durkon to fix it after the gate is fixed up.

Porthos
2009-07-02, 09:28 PM
I'd argue that he knows good and well that he's a time bomb, but he's still too arrogant to tell anyone until it's too late.

Well... It's certainly possible that he's had a good think about all of the possibilites, sure. But what we do know is that before he took the deal, he was absolutely convinced that he needed to be dead before the IFCC could collect it's due.

And I haven't seen anything in the actual comic that points to V reassessing what might happen to him. And until I do, I am going to presume that V never fully thought everything out, before or after.

After all, I want to keep liking V. And if he knew that he was a Walking Talking Time Bomb and never got arounf to telling anyone, I'd think a tad less of him. :smallwink:

Mind you, I'm not saying he needs to tell anyone right away, since he's still in psychological shock. But I'd certainly want him eventually to start dropping hints about all of this if he seriously thought the fiends could use him whilst he was alive.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-02, 09:28 PM
V failed to note the fiends didn't say she would be dead when they control his soul. Yes, they could take control over her when she is at one of the gates with the intent of spoiling the party For Xykon, Redcloak AND the Order!
As has been noted; there are many sides in this plot!

That would be interesting. As has been noted by the roaches, there are many sides to this conflict.

Right when the Fiends manifest to take control of V, the best thing he can do is slash his throat and tell Durkon to fix it after the gate is fixed up.

She won't get a chance, because the odds are good that the fiends can take her over with no warning. Failing that, they could make her come back as a ghost. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0163.html)

bardwolf
2009-07-02, 09:32 PM
V will not kill him(er)self, Belkar will do that for s/he. As told by the Prophet.

Porthos
2009-07-02, 09:32 PM
V will not kill him(er)self, Belkar will do that for s/he. As told by the Prophet.

Where? :smallconfused:

I certainly don't see anything like that in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html)

I see an Oracle lying his ass off in a futile attempt to stop Belkar from killing him. But anything else? Nope. Not from what I can see. :smallamused:

SaintRidley
2009-07-02, 09:36 PM

Depending on how the Oracle interpreted the or in Belkar's question (exclusive or inclusive).

If inclusive, then perhaps V will die by Belkar's hands. Perhaps not.

If exclusive, Belkar's prophecy has been fulfilled in full. Killing the oracle would be the only kill out of those listed in the question that Belkar gets to make.

Porthos
2009-07-02, 09:41 PM
Depending on how the Oracle interpreted the or in Belkar's question (exclusive or inclusive).

If exclusive, Belkar's prophecy has been fulfilled in full. Killing the oracle would be the only kill out of those listed in the question that Belkar gets to make.

It pretty much has to be exclusive. Otherwise what was the point of:

"Yeah, I wasn't really buying those theories either. Worth a shot tho..."

The whole point of that strip, IMO, was to mock all of the silly theorizing that people were making over Belkar causing Roy's and Miko's death. Well, that and to drive Belkar into enuf of a homicidal rage that he offed the Oracle in the first place. :smallwink:

Lupy
2009-07-02, 09:45 PM
The day the music AND ALL EXISTENCE died?

The hidden meaning to "The three men I admire most" is revealed! The question now, is Cedric the father? :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2009-07-02, 10:07 PM
It pretty much has to be exclusive. Otherwise what was the point of:

"Yeah, I wasn't really buying those theories either. Worth a shot tho..."

The whole point of that strip, IMO, was to mock all of the silly theorizing that people were making over Belkar causing Roy's and Miko's death. Well, that and to drive Belkar into enuf of a homicidal rage that he offed the Oracle in the first place. :smallwink:

I agree fully. I was also just trying to give someone who believes oppositely something to work with.

Alex Warlorn
2009-07-03, 12:33 AM

SUCH a horrible song would be completely fitting if they wanted to rub it in.

Alex Warlorn
2009-07-03, 12:38 AM

Let me spell it out. Belkar killed the stupid birds with his message. V got stuck still trying to contact anyone. That made him become isolated. That enticed mama dragon to attack. That gave the fiends the chance to use V.

The order of the stick or someone else is gonna have to kill V while he's the Three Fiend Alliance's puppet.

DnDgeek13
2009-07-03, 12:41 AM
offer xykon a soul splice

SaintRidley
2009-07-03, 12:43 AM
Let me spell it out. Belkar killed the stupid birds with his message. V got stuck still trying to contact anyone. That made him become isolated. That enticed mama dragon to attack. That gave the fiends the chance to use V.

The order of the stick or someone else is gonna have to kill V while he's the Three Fiend Alliance's puppet.

Why are you spelling that out to me when that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said?

Morquard
2009-07-03, 01:37 AM
What they can do?

Mass Hold Person
Coup de Grace x5

and still have 43 minutes left after that, without having to worry about the rest of the Order.

I said it in another thread. I think V overcame his arrogance, and this thread is an indication.
Damn its the first time in like forever that he admitted to any mistakes and says how foolish he was. His "Just when I lost it I became efficient" is so true, and I think he realised that Ultimate Arcane Power is not what he always thought.

I don't think its arrogance he's not telling. Its fear.
His mate rejected him, and his kids were afraid once they learned. And they knew him for much longer than the Order, if they would turn away from him for what he did, how much worse will everyone else react?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-03, 01:44 AM
OMG it'll turn out the spell they need to cast takes exactly 45 minutes!!!!! I am teh brilliantz LOL
*SMACK*

This random physical assault brought to you by the Anti-Leet League of the Multiverse.

"Even Abyssal is better than L0Lorx!"

reignofevil
2009-07-03, 01:47 AM
offer xykon a soul splice

I seriously doubt xykon would even TAKE it.
Unless of course he were losing.

Morquard
2009-07-03, 01:51 AM
I seriously doubt xykon would even TAKE it.
Unless of course he were losing.
We heard what Xykon thinks about the loosers damned to hell :)
But then Xykon is nothing if not a hypocrite if it serves his purpose.

But I agree, he wouldn't take it unless he needs it. And so far he hasn't.

Shanty Man
2009-07-03, 05:20 PM
Well the thiong 9is we know from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html that it takes a "few weeks" to complete the rituall so they can't do it in less than 3/4 of an hower

David Argall
2009-07-03, 07:25 PM
Well the thiong 9is we know from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html that it takes a "few weeks" to complete the rituall so they can't do it in less than 3/4 of an hower

This is Xykon's knowledge, which may well be correct, but...
a-the fiends are not talking with Xykon and may simply not realize what is needed.
b-The fiends are definitely smarter than Xykon and may have found a way it can be done quickly, or may only need V for a short crucial part. [Neither Redcloak nor the Dark One have any reason to rush as far as they know. So a slow ceremony seems fine with them, and may have advantages [such as maybe a fast one is fatal to the caster. The Dark One would be willing to wait to save Redcloak, while the fiends are unlikely to worry about killing V in the process.]