PDA

View Full Version : Thats right, new hunter class and PrC

Soniku
2006-01-03, 08:41 AM
yep, thats right, I finally took my favorate characters class and put it into D&D level tables. I havent made that many classes before so feel free to give (constructive) critisism (I personally think I made the class a little powerful, but Im not sure) oh, and sorry about the horrible table... if anyone knows how to improve this please tell me how!

Hunter

Level AB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +0 +2 +0 Track, trapfinding, wild empathy
2 +2 +0 +3 +0 Hunters finesse
3 +3 +1 +3 +1 Evasion
4 +4 +1 +4 +1 Uncanny dodge
5 +5 +1 +4 +1
6 +6/+1 +2 +5 +2 Improved hunters finesse
7 +7/+2 +2 +5 +2 Woodland stride
8 +8/+3 +2 +6 +2 Improved uncanny dodge
9 +9/+4 +3 +6 +3 trackless step
10 +10/+5 +3 +7 +3
11 +11/+6/+1 +3 +7 +3 Hunters finesse mastery
12 +12/+7/+2 +4 +8 +4
13 +13/+8/+3 +4 +8 +4 Camoflage
14 +14/+9/+4 +4 +9 +4
15 +15/+10/+5 +5 +9 +5 Self sufficient
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +5 +10 +5
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Hide in plain sight
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +6
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +6 Battle planning
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +6

HD: d8
class skills: climb, concentration, craft, handle animals, heal, hide, jump, knowledge (wilds, geography, nature), listen, move silently, ride, search, spot, survival, swim, use rope.

Skill pointsL 6+ int modifier (x4 at level 1)
Proficiencys: simple and martial weapons, light armour.

Special abilitys: (not includeing alredy existing ones)

Hunters finesse: The hunter knows where to hit for the most deadly blows and killing the enemy effectively for the hunter is not a case of how hard you hit, but where.

The hunter may, if he chooses, use his dex bonus in place of his str bonus when rolling to hit and to damage while useing light weapons. The hunter also adds +2 to the maximum dex bonus of any armour he is wearing (e.g. a chain shirt would be a maximum bonus of +8, not +6)

Improved hunters finesse:
The hunter may now use his dex bonus when rolling to hit and damage with medium weapons and adds +4 to maximum dex bonuses for armour he is wearing.

Hunters finesse mastery:
The hunter may now use his dex bonus when rolling to hit and damage with heavy weapons and adds +6 to maximum dex bonuses for armour he is wearing.

Self Sufficient: After years of adventuring and living off only what he finds for himself, the hunter has gained enough skills to live for the rest of his natural life off nearly any enviroment.

So long as the hunter is in good health (no stats drained to below their original starting values, not diseased) and the area chosen has liveable conditions (some wildlife, shelter, no monsters the hunter could not beat easily) the hunter can live off the land for as long as he likes until he either dies of old age, or situations change (e.g. the forest is attacked, food runs out, there is a drought).

Battle planning: The hunter has gained a photographic memory and great knowledge of battle. If familiar with the ground he fights on he can recall every wet patch of grass, every dip in the ground, every rock in the heat of battle and use them to his advantage.

If the hunter has been in this area for at least 8 hours - his wis modifier (minimum 1 hour) before, even if he was fighting at the time, the hunter may add his wis bonus to all rolls and his AC while in the area.

Thats hunter done *phew* now the PrC

Skyhunter

The skyhunter is quite literally that, a hunter of the sky. Rideing a flying mount the skyhunter can destroy enemys at land with death from above, and destroy airborne enemys as effectively as on ground. Although there is a mystical bond between the skyhunter and her mount, many skyhunters fall to their deaths attempting heroic and dareing attacks.

Requirements: Ride 8 ranks, animal handleing 8 ranks, Feat: improved hunters finesse. A flying mount tamed by the skyhunter.

Level AB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +0 +2 +0 Skyhunters mount
2 +2 +0 +3 +0 Brave strike
3 +3 +1 +3 +1 Airobatics 1
4 +4 +1 +4 +1 Swooping charge
5 +5 +1 +4 +1 Airobatics 2
6 +6 +2 +5 +2 Symbiotic relationship
7 +7 +2 +5 +2 Airobatics 3
8 +8 +2 +6 +2 freefall
9 +9 +3 +6 +3 Airobatics 4
10 +10 +3 +7 +3 Soul meld

HD: d8

Special abilitys:

Skyhunters mount: The mount is totally loyal to the skyhunter and will never question her judgement or disobey an order unless it would mean certain death for the skyhunter. The mount can also understand the first language of the skyhunter but cannot speak it. The mount levels up whenever the skyhunter does.

Brave strike: One of the reasons many skyhunters have never survived their first season is because traditionally the first tequnique taught to young skyhunter trainees is one to make sure they do not fear the perils of attacking from the sky, and what is more a test of courage than jumping off your mount mid flight to land on the enemy with a devistating blow?

The skyhunter strikes the combat round after jumping off her mount, whatever height she jumped from. If the target is awear the skyhunter is spesificly aiming for them they can make a reflex save to avoid damage, otherwise the skyhunter gets one attack with full attack bonus which, if it hits, deals an extra d6 damage per 10ft fallen. The hunter also takes damage from the fall as if she jumped onto a yielding surface, but only takes d4s instead of d6s from intensive training of this move. i.e. if the skyhunter jumped 50 foot she would take 1d4 of non-lethal damage and 3d4 of lethal damage.

Airobatics: The skyhunter has learnt how to avoid enemy blows midair, and look good doing it.
While in flight the skyhunter gains an AC dodge bonus equal to their Airobatics level and damage reduction equal to their airobatics level.

Swooping charge: In this devistateing air-to-ground attack the skyhunter swoops down to ground level and typicly hacks off the head of whatever is in her way, her mount clawing at anything else she missed.

The skyhunter must declare this move when just above ground level to get to the correct position to start the charge. Then, every round the skyhunter may either choose to rise or swoop. When the skyhunter chooses to swoop she must make a ride check of DC15 +2 per turn riseing or crash into the ground takeing d6 damage per turn spent riseing, the skyhunter can make another ride check of the same DC to half the damage.
If the check is sucessful the skyhunter gets one attack with full attack bonus on the target. If this attack hits it deals double damage for every turn spent riseing (e.g. if the attack would normally deal 6 damage, and the skyhunter spent 3 turns riseing 6+6+6+6 damage makes a total of 24) and the mount gets a knockback attack on all creatures in attack range.

Symbiotic relationship: After the skyhunter and her mount have spent so long together they begin to develoup a mystical relationship, linking them to each other through magic like that seen between wizards and their familiars.

The skyhunter and mount can communicate telepathicly without words as long as they are on the same plane. The mount can also speak back in this form, although depending on its intelligence it will do so with more or less skill.

Freefall: Often seen as the ultimate move of dareing, the skyhunter rises above the battlefield until they are often just a speck in the air, then plummet straight downwards at tremendous speeds only pulling out at the last moment to deal attacks with amasing power due to their speed.

This works just like swooping charge with a few differences: the skyhunter will take 2d6 damage per turn spend riseing if they fail the ride check, and also, when they strike the attack deals x3 damage per turn spent riseing (e.g. one turn spend riseing will deal 6+6+6 damage instead of 6). This move will also knock over any creatures smaller than the mount and the mount will get a +6 on its knockback check.

Soul meld: Only spoken about in myth and legend, the skyhunter and her mount have become one and their bodies heal and help each other.

Any benificail spells cast on the skyhunter and the mount count as cast on both, while any hindering spells only stay in effect for half as long. Also, if one of the two is on more HP than the other, the one on lower HP regains one HP per round until they are back to the same. (this does not stay in effect if they are both at full HP)

Brickwall
2006-01-03, 08:45 AM
It seems overpowered and underpowered at the same time. Although it gets some abilities before the classes which it seems based off, it gets most after. Consider giving him some unique ones, or convert it to a PrC. Actually, even PrCs have unique abilities. Just get creative, and try balancing.

Soniku
2006-01-03, 08:56 AM
huh? there are unique abilitys in there >.> hunters finesse, battle planning... but yeah, I was looking through the class lists and noticed a lot of the abilitys would be relivent to hunter and tried to get them at around the same level.

and im sure the skyhunter abilitys are unique, that or someone copied me in advance >.>

Sciurusaurus
2006-01-03, 09:44 AM
Not sure about the balance of the class (haven't compared it enough to others yet), but there are a few of the abilities I have an issue with.

Trapfinding : for a seemingly outdoors/nature kind of character, I dislike the full trapfinding feature. Somewhat illogical, and when it in addition encroaches on the rogue's territory, it's bad. I'd suggest a rename and limit it to traps in traps in "natural environment" only. Perhaps allow the hunter to use survival to disarm such traps.

Hunter's finesse : I'm really opposed to giving Dex bonus to damage. Especially when it is incoroporated into a feature that favors Dex this heavily in it's other powers. And Chain Shirt has a normal max dex of +4, not +6.

With Finesse mastery, the Hunter has a max dex of +12 in a Chain shirt, and can hit with a two-handed weapon using dex bonus for to hit, and doing 2d6+Dex bonus x 1.5.

An elf (or halfling) with maxed dex and dex boosting magic items is going to be psychotic with this class.

Consider a str 8 halfling with 22 dex (max plus racial plus level) with gloves of dex +6. Dex mod of +7.

Smack on him a +5 Chain Shirt and a +1 Greatsword, and he still have a few thousand left for utilities.

His AC would be 27 (as opposed to 24 without this ability).

His to-hit would be (not counting in possible other feats like Focus) +20 (as opposed to +12 going by normal rules) and his damage would be 1d10+11 (instead of just 1d10 by normal rules).

Basicly, this class feature has given him +3 AC, +8 to hit and +11 to damage. Even if we split it by 3 (since it's taken three times),it's +1 AC per time, almost +3 to hit per time, and almost +4 to damage per time. This is not time limited like the Barbarian rage and carries NO penalties. I challenge you to find a class feature at such "low" levels that is comparable to this one.

Soniku
2006-01-03, 10:12 AM
As for the trapfinding thing, I was concidering that but wasnt sure exactly how to have it.

Hmm. well, one of my ideas for this class was to create a class who could use dex more because if you want a figher type at the moment dex hardly helps at all seeing as str is used to hit (strangely) but I might have over done it a bit with the raiseing the max dex bonuses.

Any thoughts on skyhunter? havent heard anything about that yet

Darkie
2006-01-03, 10:50 AM
Eh, I'll make the same comment on combat ability scores as I had earlier in other threads.

Strength goes towards melee to-hit, damage, and carrying capacity

Dexterity goes towards ranged to-hit, AC, and a saving throw

Allowing one to take over for the other for the sake of 'realism' ignores 'balance in game mechanics'. I'd declined to comment on the class (as I tend not to look too seriously at homebrew classes and PrCs, there's more than enough floating around in official sources), but I respond to the issue of dex and str for warriors.