PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a race

Glyde
2009-07-02, 06:13 PM
I remember hearing about a race that was in fact 'two characters in one' in the sense that every member of the race acted with a twin at all times. I'm wondering what it's called, and where I could find it. (Assuming that it wasn't completely homebrew)

I've done a bunch of searches and skimmed through Crystalkeep, but to no avail. I hope I'm not crazy.

Gralamin
2009-07-02, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure of its exact name, but it was something like "Daavti"

chiasaur11
2009-07-02, 06:18 PM
I remember hearing about a race that was in fact 'two characters in one' in the sense that every member of the race acted with a twin at all times. I'm wondering what it's called, and where I could find it. (Assuming that it wasn't completely homebrew)

I've done a bunch of searches and skimmed through Crystalkeep, but to no avail. I hope I'm not crazy.

I think it's Dvati. Someone had an avatar of a Davati sorceror a bit back.

Glyde
2009-07-02, 06:18 PM
Yes, that certainly rings a bell - but I can't place my finger on the exactness either.

chiasaur11
2009-07-02, 06:23 PM
AH HA!
They're found in "Dragon Compendium Volume 1"

Thank you google. That help?

arguskos
2009-07-02, 06:46 PM
I think it's Dvati. Someone had an avatar of a Davati sorceror a bit back.
That was me.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/dvatigorkmork.png

Yes, the Dvati can be found in the Dragon Compendium. Note that there's no need to tack on the Volume 1 bit, since there is no Volume 2.

Should you have any questions concerning the Dvati, poke me about them. I'd be happy to fill you in. :smallbiggrin:

Glyde
2009-07-02, 06:59 PM
Eeyaha! Excellent. I'll be sure to send you a message if I have any questions.

I thought that asking the playground might be easier than scouring my books XD

Tam_OConnor
2009-07-02, 07:03 PM
I'm curious, arguskos (because I was poking around the Compendium looking at Tibbits); how well do they play? Both mechanically and roleplay-ally (pretend that's a real word).

Glyde
2009-07-02, 08:19 PM
I imagine they'd do stuff like finish each others sentences, give each other weird looks then giggle, and get all emotional when they're separated. I'd love to roleplay one with two people - but the race doesn't really allow for that mechanically. Unless they get two initiatives/attacks/etc. In which case it would be awesome. I dunno about that last part, though. I only skimmed the entry just now

Gaiyamato
2009-07-02, 08:25 PM
Ooooh a Dvati Half-Mind Flayer Hive mind.. Make like a dozen of them then....

*runs off to make a bad-ass npc*

arguskos
2009-07-02, 08:56 PM
I'm curious, arguskos (because I was poking around the Compendium looking at Tibbits); how well do they play? Both mechanically and roleplay-ally (pretend that's a real word).
Dvati are fun. Really, really, REALLY fun. Roleplay-wise, they are great times. Whatever you want to do with two people, you can. Dvati are not required to remain together at all times you see, they're just like normal twins in that respect.

Mechanically is another story. They only get one turn worth of actions, have half life, have to share gear, and they have +1 LA. Honestly, I don't think they are worth the LA. Talk to your DM about annulling it, or giving you some benefits that are actually GOOD in exchange for it.

@Glyde: No, Dvati share a turn, can take limited amounts of actions, and otherwise act as one person. Only one can attack/cast spells each turn. They both can move, but only if one isn't busy.

Darrin
2009-07-02, 11:15 PM
Mechanically is another story. They only get one turn worth of actions, have half life, have to share gear, and they have +1 LA. Honestly, I don't think they are worth the LA. Talk to your DM about annulling it, or giving you some benefits that are actually GOOD in exchange for it.

@Glyde: No, Dvati share a turn, can take limited amounts of actions, and otherwise act as one person. Only one can attack/cast spells each turn. They both can move, but only if one isn't busy.

I thought they made great Scouts... one moves to trigger skirmish, the other full attacks.

Tibbit = Warlock. Not quite as good as a hengeyokai sparrow, but it's always fun to watch a flying, invisible housecat tear apart your enemies and make the wizards nervous.

Diabolus = Totemist, or rather, "eleven, twelve, thirteen natural attacks... does anyone have any more 20-siders?"

Diopsid = Oversized TWF + THF + Pounce + the usual PA/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper shenanigans.

Lupin = I find these utterly boring. I have no idea what they'd be good at.

woodenbandman
2009-07-02, 11:30 PM
^Again, only 1 turn's worth of actions. Skirmish is not allowed, since they get a move action, and they're left with a standard action, while full attacking is, unsurprisingly, a full round action.

arguskos
2009-07-02, 11:36 PM
I thought they made great Scouts... one moves to trigger skirmish, the other full attacks.

Tibbit = Warlock. Not quite as good as a hengeyokai sparrow, but it's always fun to watch a flying, invisible housecat tear apart your enemies and make the wizards nervous.

Diabolus = Totemist, or rather, "eleven, twelve, thirteen natural attacks... does anyone have any more 20-siders?"

Diopsid = Oversized TWF + THF + Pounce + the usual PA/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper shenanigans.

Lupin = I find these utterly boring. I have no idea what they'd be good at.
Dvati make decent scouts, alright bards (have one just keep the song active; have the other do something).

Tibbits are amazing rogues, ninjas, warlocks, sorcerers, and pretty much anything at all that involves stealth.

Diaboli actually don't have any good classes for them to go into natively that I can see, though they'd probably be good Totemists. Actually, they'd be decent at a lot of things I'll bet. Not amazing, but decent.

Diopsid you already covered plenty well.

Lupin I completely agree with you on. Ugh. My only experience with a player using a lupin was a REALLLY obnoxious lupin paladin of the Silver Flame who got us all arrested and beaten on by refusing to remove his tabard when the party entered the Sharn undercity. :smallsigh:

Brock Samson
2009-07-03, 12:41 AM
Not to mention Tibbits allow you to go into Warshaper, even a single level dip is totally worth it almost regardless of your class. 2nd level? Why yes, I would like to now be the strongest healthiest kitty in the world!