PDA

View Full Version : Belkar won't die! -with proof (read: speculation)

shadzar
2009-07-02, 06:25 PM
:smallcool: Somebody was going to make the thread, so why not me!

Tiamat was behind the fiends and is trying to do something to gain leverage. Tiamat is the one who the Oracle gets her information from.

It is all part of Tiamat's plan to make Belkar work his evil side for her plans to say that he will die.

Roy trumps her by just not giving a damn what Belkar does, so long as he is aimed in the right direction, and Shoju's vision has also given Belkar a new direction in life. Well at least a side road for him to take for a while.

So it wasn't a real prophecy no matter how many times it was said. It was just a ploy by Tiamat to get things to work in her favor as she, like the fiends, cannot actually do anything on the prime plane and must get others to do her bidding for her.

:smallsmile:

Kaytara
2009-07-02, 06:45 PM
What about Occam's Razor? The simpler explanation is arguably that Belkar has been prophecised to die, thus he is going to die, the same way pretty much every other prophecy the Oracle has tossed at us has come true in a rather straightforward way.

It's possible to combine the theories and say that Belkar will come into Tiamat's service BY dying, but... well, possible, but so is a number of other things.

Cracklord
2009-07-02, 07:08 PM
Ah, the mastermind of this all is lord Soju, Shojo's evil twin brother, who has engaged in a plan with The dragon queen to wipe out five percent of her worshipers, in exchange for an unoptomised thug with insecurities. Mu ha ha.
I suppose he only gave the rest of the order correct prophecies to lull them into a false sense of security.

Here's an alternative explanation. Crazy I know, but what the hell:
BELKAR WILL DIE! And be dead! Because corpses don't get birthday cakes! Or need retirement money! And their souls leave this world! And they don't breathe!

valce
2009-07-02, 07:21 PM
This theory must have been flogged to death already, but AFAIK it says Belkar will 'draw his last breath' --> Belkar becomes undead?

Morgan Wick
2009-07-02, 07:50 PM
Tiamat was behind the fiends and is trying to do something to gain leverage.

I'm not sure where people are getting this interpretation of 667 from. The ONLY people allowed to call the IFCC are their ultimate bosses?

Okay, I can see this part of it: Tiamat through the Oracle indirectly led to the death of a quarter of all black dragons which she AND the Oracle had to have some idea of, so something doesn't jibe with Tiamat's actions here.

Marsala
2009-07-02, 07:50 PM
This theory must have been flogged to death already, but AFAIK it says Belkar will 'draw his last breath' --> Belkar becomes undead?

Yes, Belkar becoming undead is the simplest way for him to die and still continue to participate in the comic.

shadzar
2009-07-02, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure where people are getting this interpretation of 667 from. The ONLY people allowed to call the IFCC are their ultimate bosses?

Who said bosses. Does Tiamat operate on the same plane as them?

It could be a multi-planar scam being worked on by a small conglomerate of entities with a de facto head being the most powerful and most responsible for making sure the plans work.

So Tiamat came calling at THIS time and we see it....must have some meaning to what the IFCC are talking about in the panel.

That or she wants a cut of the action they have going on or is trying to muscle in on there turf since they are both exploiting the Order.

Porthos
2009-07-02, 09:02 PM
So Tiamat came calling at THIS time and we see it....must have some meaning to what the IFCC are talking about in the panel.

What, being pissed off that 25% of all black dragons on OotS-world being killed off because of the actions of the IFCC isn't enough of a meaning? :smalltongue:

Undead can still make use of IRA's, you know. :smallwink:

Timberboar
2009-07-02, 09:05 PM
What about Occam's Razor?

Not that I'm supporting the OP's claims in any way, but...

Occam's Razor and prophecy generally are not on speaking terms.

factotum
2009-07-03, 02:23 AM
Here's an alternative explanation. Crazy I know, but what the hell:
BELKAR WILL DIE! And be dead! Because corpses don't get birthday cakes! Or need retirement money! And their souls leave this world! And they don't breathe!

Bah. You'll be telling us next that Elvis ISN'T serving fish & chips at a greasy spoon cafe somewhere off the M25 but actually died in 1977. Like anyone's going to believe THAT... :smallbiggrin:

Cracklord
2009-07-03, 02:57 AM
Bah. You'll be telling us next that Elvis ISN'T serving fish & chips at a greasy spoon cafe somewhere off the M25 but actually died in 1977. Like anyone's going to believe THAT... :smallbiggrin:

I told you it was crazy.

Jaltum
2009-07-03, 03:59 AM
The undead Belkar theory does not cover the other prophecies about him--most particularly, that he is 'not long for this world.'

This has been brought up and shot down in literally dozens of threads.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 04:01 AM
I think it's is actually as simple as that: The story will end near/on/shortly after the end of the in-comic year and Belkar will die (permanently) in/around the final fight (which will be on/near the end of the in-comic year).

Xesirin
2009-07-03, 02:49 PM
Who said bosses. Does Tiamat operate on the same plane as them?

It could be a multi-planar scam being worked on by a small conglomerate of entities with a de facto head being the most powerful and most responsible for making sure the plans work.

That or she wants a cut of the action they have going on or is trying to muscle in on there turf since they are both exploiting the Order.

See, based on the way the yellow temptor reacted to the call, I'm suspecting that Tiamat was NOT happy about what the IFCC did. Just a theory, but I'm not sure all the evil gods get along with each other, much as the good gods tend to have quarrels. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)

Whatever Belkar's fate is, I don't think Tiamat has anything to do with it.

The MunchKING
2009-07-03, 02:59 PM

Nah he becomes a LITERAL sexy-shoeless God of War. Which fits both the "draws his last breath" (Gods don't have to breathe) and the "Won't need an IRA" (as Gods generally can't retire and collect retirement benefits). Heck it even covers the no cake (as Gods are immortal, and probably don't care about birthdays, even those that do remember when that was) and the "Not long for this world" (He gets his own section of an Outer Plane filled with Battle chicks. You think he'd stick around?). Of course that just means he "assends" to devinity within those 7 weeks (IC). He can stick around for a while with the group after that without breaking the much more vauge "Not long for this world" Statement. :smallbiggrin:

Of course all this is merely devil's advocate. I seriously doubt it'll happen that way.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-03, 03:15 PM
I told you it was crazy.

Exactly as crazy as saying, "They transitioned into 3.5 D&D in the first strip, and not into (insert name of other game)."

Seriously, the Oracle is telling the truth, is omnisient, and won't risk losing all business with a false prophesy.

We got it staight from the (small, reptilian, humanoid) horse's (scaly) mouth that B is gonna die and not be rezzed.
I like the theory that says that B'll "die" at the one of the gates.

Fencing Fool
2009-07-03, 04:19 PM
Heck it even covers the no cake (as Gods are immortal, and probably don't care about birthdays, even those that do remember when that was)

How do you know Gods don't like birthday cakes? What if Thor gives Odin a chocolate marble cake every year (which takes a while after 3000 years 500 boxes of candles)?

Personally I think Belkar will push someone of a cliff and O-Chul, bound by his promise, will unceremoniously gut him with his bare hands.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-03, 04:41 PM
Let's assume that instead of saying "Belkar dies," the Oracle said all those other things because in DnD, being dead has no effect on a character (according to the PHB, you are incapacitated and unconscious from -1 to -9, and at -10 you die. It doesn't define death. RAW, you can get up and start fighting at -10). Thus, Belkar is going to die and not be revived.

Cracklord
2009-07-03, 07:26 PM
Let's assume that instead of saying "Belkar dies," the Oracle said all those other things because in DnD, being dead has no effect on a character (according to the PHB, you are incapacitated and unconscious from -1 to -9, and at -10 you die. It doesn't define death. RAW, you can get up and start fighting at -10). Thus, Belkar is going to die and not be revived.

Either that makes no sense at all, or I'm stupid.
Both are possible.

newcresty
2009-07-03, 09:16 PM
Somebody was going to make this reply, so why not me!

Who this Shoju you're talking about?

Cracklord
2009-07-03, 10:10 PM
Already made that one, son.
Nice try thought.