Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Short (25+5ft/level)
Target: One item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude [See Text]
Spell Resistance: Yes
Calling upon Dark powers, you instil an item with unlimited Black Lotus Extract, this is a permeant spell that can only be removed by using miracle or wish. Black Lotus Extract does constitution damage on contact with the targets skin or insides, dealing 3d6 constitution damage, and an additonal 3d6 points of constitution damage one minute later. Both Damages allow a DC 20 Fortitude save. If you Make one save you still must make the other. The Poision Applies to anyone that touches it including the weilder.
Material componet: 10 Viles of Black Lotus Extract costing 450,000 gp in all.

Toliudar
2006-01-03, 04:09 AM
Well, for a spell that seems to be limited by an expensive material component, it seems to negate the expense of its own material component.

Step 1: borrow/whatever the money to buy 450,000 gp of this extraordinary poison.
Step 2: buy this poison.
Step 3: cast spell.
Step 4: gather 30 helpings of Black Lotus poison. Step 5: Use 10 to cast the spell again, sell the other 20 in the same place you got the first batch, either breaking even or making a profit, depending on how you run buying and selling in your campaign.

This is, as written, a license to print money by getting into the business of producing an expensive and powerful poison.

At the very least, you'll need to establish a game mechanic outlining what "instil an item with unlimited..." means. Can it be harvested from the item, or is it just always poisonous? Does anti-magic suppress its replenishment?

Does the targeted item get a saving throw if it's in someone else's possession? Can you cast it on a creature? How about a construct? Does it get a saving throw? What happens if it saves?

By introducing terms like "making contact with a creature's skin or insides", you add an undefined element to the game. If I'm in full plate, and your Black Lotus covered club damages me, has the poison touched me? How about "on a successful attack?

Hope that this helps.

Deleran
2006-01-03, 04:27 AM
Because its permanent, it should have an xp cost.

Brickwall
2006-01-03, 08:50 AM
by level 17, that's an easy sum for the party rogue to spend getting poison for the wizard. XP is a needed cost, especially if it's instantaneous and has a permanent effect. Maybe make it Permanent?

Ayana
2006-01-03, 09:02 AM
- I suggest making it a lesser spell that bestows 1 application of poison to the item and reduce the material component. Then they can make it into a magic item if they wish.
- I suggest basing the DC of the poison created on the caster's relevant attribute and spell level (as a spell), or on the caster level.