PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Building a Scaly Bard of Spear-stabbing

grae
2009-07-02, 07:09 PM
Hello! Me and my player (yes, singular... we're just about to move, and we'll be forming a group in which this character will play when we get settled) are just moving in to 4e. I have a good grasp on the system at this point, but not to the point that I can offer particularly good advice on character construction. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

My player wishes to play a lizardfolk valorous, melee-oriented bard with (keeping in mind that bards are leaders) some damage-dealing or defending ability. We are using houseruled racial stats for the fellow, which I will post below (please also feel free to critique these!) She isn't sure how to stat out her character. We're using the standard 22-point buy. While she doesn't care about optimization per se, she would like to perform well within her racial and RP framework. She would also appreciate advice on feat and power selection out a few levels, after which we will both hopefully have a better hold on the system and able to explore combinations of our own. Also, as the title might suggest to you... she likes spears. Harpoons in particular -- this is a pirate campaign. Other weapons with some flavor are easily considered, though! Please feel free to draw from any of the available 4e books.

(Aside) That's right. A lizardfolk bard first mate who alternates sunbathing, flute-playing and flailing of lazy searats. (/Aside)

Here are the racial stats:

Average Height: 6'0” - 7'2”
Average Weight: 230-280 lb.

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, draconic
Brutal Nature: In addition to any other racial bonus, you gain +2 to either Intimidate or Athletics.
Lizardfolk Spear Training: You are proficient with the shortspear, javelin, longspear and trident.
Deep Lung: You can hold your breath for up to 10 rounds before requiring saving throws. Further, you do not need to make endurance checks to hold your breath in strenuous situations.
Swamp Walk: You ignore difficult terrain if it is the result of bog, mud, or shallow water.

In the vein of shifters, lizardfolk have a choice of which race they belong to. She has chosen...

POISONSCALE LIZARDFOLK
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence
Skill Bonuses: +2 Stealthy, +2 Nature
Gut Spit: As a Poisonscale, you have the gut spit power.

Gut Spit

You make a harsh noise in the back of your throat before launching a blast of viscous spittle at your foe.

Encounter
Minor Action * Poison
Targets: One target Ranged 5
Attack: Strength +2 vs Fortitude or Dexterity +2 vs Fortitude or Constitution +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d4 poison damage and 2 + Constitution modifier ongoing poison damage (save ends).
Increase to +4 bonus, 2d4 and 4 + Constitution modifier ongoing poison damage (save ends) at 11th level. Increase to +6 bonus, 3d4 and 6 + Constitution modifier ongoing damage (save ends) at 21st level.

If you have any general advice for me in helping new players to 4e explore their options, please share that as well. Thank you all for your time.

Mando Knight
2009-07-02, 08:09 PM
Aww... here I was, hoping that I could suggest builds that plagiarize clone vaguely resemble Deekin (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Deekin_Scalesinger)... :smallfrown::smallsigh::smalltongue:

Two spears of note: Greatspear and Tratnyr. They're superior weapons from the Adventurer's Vault that are probably worth it: Tratnyr is better than the Trident or the Javelin, and Greatspear is essentially a Longspear with a +3 proficiency bonus. They'd definitely be worth it if she were playing an Eladrin, but that's neither here nor there.

Let's see... I'll conjure up a build in a bit, using Githyanki as a base because of its similar racial ability bonuses.

Some notes: As a Bard, multiclassing and power-swap (minimum level 4) is almost a necessity. And ridiculously amusing. Take Combat Virtuoso to keep her attack rolls decent.

Rogue isn't worth much without planning to use light blades. Ranger doesn't care what weapon you're using, so is worth a look... especially Warrior of the Wild for Hunter's Quarry, and Two-Blade Warrior (Martial Power) to double-wield Tridents or Tratnyrs. Student of Malediction (Arcane Power) grants you Warlock's Curse, and Disciple of Divine Wrath grants the Avenger's ability to roll the attack roll twice.

Warlord multiclassing boosts your leadery-ness, as do Shaman or Cleric multiclassing. Use Fighter, Paladin, and/or Warden for a defender boost, since the Swordmage doesn't grant you the Aegis power and only works with swords.

Improved Majestic Word is almost a must-have, since it grants the Bard the ability to add her Charisma bonus (in temporary HP) to the amount healed by her Majestic Word. Which is kinda her job, especially if she's got an ally like a Barbarian or Warden, whose HP describe the vertical position of a roller coaster.

(Here's the basics of a build...)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
level 1
Githyanki, Bard
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 11 Fort: 12 Reflex: 12 Will: 15
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Nature +6, Acrobatics +6, Athletics +6, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, History +4, Insight +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +4, Thievery +2

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Improved Majestic Word

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
Bard at-will 1: War Song Strike
Bard daily 1: Slayer's Song
Bard encounter 1: Inspiring Refrain

ITEMS
Ritual Book
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======