PDA

View Full Version : Shan's Vampire.

DMBlackhart
2009-07-02, 08:22 PM
Despite the title, I am not looking to make an exact copy of Darren Shan's vampires. (like the one's in cirque du freak.)

Instead, I am looking to change the monster manuels vampire to become a lesser ( or higher, depending on how this turns out) LA while still retaining a sense of usefulness.

I looked over this a few times before I decided to come here and submit it for your approval, and i honestly think it takes out alot of the "Ooh" and "Ahh" of the vampire, but im fine with that. I have some uses in mind for this variant.

Anyways, I require some advice on the new LA of this creature, no flavor critique or the like. Suggestions are fine, but keep in mind im trying to make it LESS magical this way.

These are the following changes to the monster manuels vampires...

Speed: Increase the speed of the base creature by 10ft (Small-Medium), 20ft (larger-Huge) or 30ft (Larger).

Attack: Replace the core vampire's "slam" attack with a claw attack of the same damage.

Special Attacks: Remove the following special attacks.

"Children of the Night"
"Dominate"
"Energy Drain"

Special Qualities:

Remove- "Alternate Form" and "Gaseous Form"

Damage Reduction: Vampires have DR 10/ Magic.

Abilities: The changed abilities are, Str +8, Dex +6, Wis +4, Cha +2.

With these changes in mind, what would the new LA be?

Stormthorn
2009-07-02, 08:52 PM
I always support people making modifications to vampires.

I once made an alternate template that had less weaknesses and could move untracably across ice or snow. True terrors of the icy campaign.

DMBlackhart
2009-07-02, 09:08 PM
Oooh, I like that idea. Wont fit well for what im using them for, but I like.

Lord Loss
2009-07-03, 07:49 AM
Now, to make it the way you want, but still keep the Cirque Du Freak flavor, make two kinds. One however you like and another that can (or can't, depending how you made the first) avoid killing when they feed. Just an idea.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-03, 05:49 PM
The original LA is almost unplayable, and (as with most monstrous races) was artificially inflated to discourage use. I'd call this a strong LA +3 or so; the removal of domination and gaseous form kills the normal template's usefulness enough, I think, to drop the LA that much.

imp_fireball
2009-07-03, 06:54 PM
If you want one of those lanky and ugly nostradamus-like vampires, give it tremor sense, blind sense, and spider-climb.

Even though you didn't want flavor, here's a little tidbit:

These vampires are horribly skinny, often naked and yellowish in skin pigment. They have sickly fangs and misshapen noses. Their ears are curved upwards in some unnamed mockery and their backs hunched. Their nails extend outwards in a horrid fashion like claws and their feet amalgamated in a similar manner (additional natural attacks?).

When not hunting, they perch themselves in crouched, mock-feeble positions, often upon a wall or ceiling; sometimes opting to cower in a corner, feigning weakness until a foolish adventure steps too close...

DMBlackhart
2009-07-03, 09:37 PM
Wow, I apreatiate (horrible speller) all the feedback. And to be totally honest, that was some awsome flavor, but I already have the "feel" I want (again shan-esque). Anyways I did some thinking and I think a good LA +4 should be nice. (A "strong LA 3 would be about an average LA 4 in my opinion, while making it functional).

As far as "feel" goes im basically trying to make them, human ( I am still debating whether or not to take away the undead aspect) while making them terribly brilliant predetors.

Anyways thanks for all the feedback, I have a roughdraft finished in my campaign wiki (in my sig) and am updating it as I get more inspiration.

Edit: For those of you who would like to see how it turned out, go to the following link ( or to my signatures link) and scroll down to the middle/bottom of the "race" homebrew section.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/5572/wikis/races

J.Gellert
2009-07-04, 02:10 AM
I had made a LA+2 vampire a long time ago but some thread purge must've eaten it...

Removing Dominate and Energy Drain gets rid of most of the LA, really. If you want to really make it playable, adjust the abilities as well (really, who needs +8 Str to represent a typical vampire).

Also, make sure you decrease skills accordingly. Vampire bonuses to skills are basically just enough to keep up with your adjusted LA (+8 each) so if you make it LA +4, the skills would likely be +4 each.

DracoDei
2009-07-04, 06:06 AM
If it was on these boards then I very much doubt your thread was deleted, the search function isn't working correctly right now. Try it with Google instead.

J.Gellert
2009-07-04, 12:47 PM
Google seems to find it, but clicking it takes me to the main forum page. :smalltongue:

It wasn't anything mind-boggling anyway, something like... +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha (vampire are stronger, faster, and hotter, but not as strong as ogres, for example). Replace slams with claws, remove Gaseous Form, Energy Drain, and Dominating Gaze and you are done.

Then you can create vampire-only feats by stealing from Monte Cook's World of Darkness d20 :smallcool:.