PDA

View Full Version : Can I Use These Spells?

McDeath
2006-01-01, 08:19 PM
Ok, first thing, those in the Changing Borders campaign, stop reading and exit the topic.

Ok, now I've created some spells for an NPC I plan on making my PCs fight. I want her to have a shadowmancer kind of flavour, so I wrote a few new spells. They're not too powerful, but anything an NPC uses, the PCs can use. So, can I let the PCs use these spells? Are they too easy to break?

Darknet [Darkness]
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5/level)
Target: One creature in range.
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
A net of shadows flies from your hands and wraps around the target, impeding movment. The target takes 1d6 nonlethal damage, plus 1d6 per 4 caster levels (with a maximum of 3d6), and is entangled. The net lasts for one round per caster level. An Escape Artist check allows the target to burst free of the net.

Valdon’s Lash [Darkness]
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 25-foot cone
Focus: a piece of a whip
Darkness whips out from your hand, striking all inside a cone. All take 2d6 subdual damage and are knocked prone.

Animate Shadow [Darkness]
Transmutation
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: one area of shadow in 5 ft
Duration: 1 round/level
You bind one shadow into a creature which serves you. The target becomes a shadow, from the MM. When the spell ends the shadow dissipates.
Material Component: An onyx worth at least 25 gp

Shadowmeld
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Target: You
You must cast this spell standing in shadow. You fade away into the shadows, seeming to disappear. You count as under the spell invisibility; the spell ends if you move out of shadow, attack, use an item or cast a spell.

Dark Terror
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 3
Save: Reflex for half
This spell creates a hideous clot of shadow which constantly forms and reforms into various gruesome pictures. All creatures in 25 ft of the illusion take 1d4 nonlethal damage per caster level and take Will save with same DC; fail and be sickened for 1d6 rounds.

Yes, I named one of the spells after a character of mine.

Blade-Bearer_Ian
2006-01-01, 08:22 PM
I would let the PCs use them, IF the NPCs show them how to, or if they spend time and resources attempting to duplicate the spell. If something is meant for NPCs only, the PCs had better want them pretty badly to pursue said NPC to get it.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-01-01, 08:29 PM
You might want to specify that many, if not all, of these spells require shadowy illumination; animate shadow and shadowmeld should certainly not work in areas of bright light or complete darkness.

Also, what's the attack bonus for Valdon's Lash for its initial attack in the trip, or does it bypass that and immediately make its Strength check? If that's the case it seems pretty beefy for a 4th-level spell, given that it's going to have at least a +7 on the check to trip what could be an entire party.

Also, what type of damage does Valdon's Lash inflict? Subdual? Piercing? Force?

Deleran
2006-01-01, 08:32 PM
Nothin here looks abusable, so I'd say go for it. You might want to type your damage though.

Sciurusaurus
2006-01-01, 08:42 PM
Darknet [Darkness]
Evocation
Range: Close (25 ft + 5/level)
Target: One creature in range.
A net of shadows flies from your hands and wraps around the target, impeding movment. The target takes 1d6 nonlethal damage and is entangled. The net lasts for one round per caster level. An Escape Artist check allows the target to burst free of the net.

It's a limited version of Web. I would say that the damage could even be upped a little, and it still would not be broken or even overpowered. (something like 1d6 per 4 caster levels)

Valdon’s Lash [Darkness]
Evocation
Saving Throw: None
Darkness whips out from your hand, striking all inside a cone. All take 2d6 damage and take a Reflex save, those who fail are tripped by the Lash, which does not have to make a touch attack; the Lash has a bonus to its Strength check equal to caster level.

Sounds pretty OK to me. Not sure which spell I should compare it to, though.

Transmutation
You bind one shadow into a creature which serves you. The target becomes a shadow, from the MM. When the spell ends the shadow dissipates.

Comparable to a limited version of Summon Monster IV, which has several monsters of same CR on the list. Fine again.

Shadowmeld
Illusion (Glamer)
You must cast this spell standing in shadow. You fade away into the shadows, seeming to disappear. You count as under the spell invisibility; the spell ends if you move out of shadow, attack, use an item or cast a spell.

Shorter duration and more limitations than invisibility (at the same level) ... not overpowered at all, more of the other alternative.

Dark Terror
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Bard 2
Save: Will negates
This spell creates a hideous clot of shadow which constantly forms and reforms into various gruesome pictures. A creature which looks at it must takes a Will save or be sickened for 1d6 rounds. Creatures may attempt a Concentration check to avoid looking at it, with the same DC as the Will save.

If the range of this is "sight" and no limit on targets, I think this may need to be upped a bit, or given some serious limitations. Unless you give it specific targetting restrictions (range, # of targets etc), I'm thinking at least level 4 for this one. And it would probably be at the top of level 4.

McDeath
2006-01-01, 10:10 PM
How's Dark Terror now?

Brickwall
2006-01-02, 12:31 AM
On darknet: it is a 2nd level spell. Make the limit 3d6 or so. So BBEGs don't get TOO annoying w/ their low-level shadow spells. Or high level PCs...

Pax
2006-01-02, 01:57 AM
Darknet [Darkness]
Evocation
Not sure if this should be Third level (with a higher damage cap), or not. But it does bear watching.

Valdon’s Lash [Darkness]
Evocation
Saving Throw: None
Darkness whips out from your hand, striking all inside a cone. All take 2d6 subdual damage and take a Reflex save, those who fail are tripped by the Lash, which does not have to make a touch attack; the Lash has a bonus to its Strength check equal to caster level.
Just make it a Reflex save or be knocked prone, rather than a seperate trip check. You did script it to be a fourth level spell, after all. Otherwise, dial it down to third level.

And in EITHER event, change that castign time to "1 action"; a "1 round" casting time makes it FAR too easy to disrupt, compared to it's benefits.

Transmutation
Hmm, as a temporary spell? Yeah, this works. If it were more permanent, I'd say to up it to 5th or 6th level. A "II" version might be 6th level, last 1 day per level, and create 1 shadow per 3-4 caster levels; a "III" at 8th level that lasts permanently and makes as many HD of shadows as you have caster levels wouldn't be out of bounds, IMO.

Shadowmeld
Illusion (Glamer)
It's not as good as Invisibility, so, it should have an advantage. Me, for thematics, I'd dial it UP to third level, BUT ... change the castign tie to "1 swift action" (IOW, inherently self-Quickened). Good for a "and now, I shall run the heck away" application ...!

Dark Terror
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Bard 3
Save: Will negates
This spell creates a hideous clot of shadow which constantly forms and reforms into various gruesome pictures. All creatures in 25 ft of the illusion who fail their Will save are sickened for 1d6 rounds.
I might make it deal nonlethal damage, say 1d4 per 2 caster levels (max of 10d4), save for half ... same save eliminates the Sickened condition.

McDeath
2006-01-02, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. One Shadowmancer BBEG coming up!