PDA

View Full Version : Summon Rock Garden?

Kanlyven
2009-07-02, 10:25 PM
So my players have recently decided to get into the business of breeding cockatrices. At the same time they've also managed to incurr the wrath of a powerful/crazy conjurer/alienist with a penchant for summoned creatures.

My question is thus:

If one of the random summoned monsters sicced on the party is bitten and turned to stone by a cockatrice, or into stone in general, what happens to the resulting statue?

It's no longer the creature, at least until the enchantment is broken, but when summoned creatures die they poof away anyway.

So are my visions of an otherworldly rock garden, filled with the petrified forms of pseudonatural elephants and centipedes supported by anything, or just awesomeness?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-02, 11:07 PM
So my players have recently decided to get into the business of breeding cockatrices. At the same time they've also managed to incurr the wrath of a powerful/crazy conjurer/alienist with a penchant for summoned creatures.

My question is thus:

If one of the random summoned monsters sicced on the party is bitten and turned to stone by a cockatrice, or into stone in general, what happens to the resulting statue?

It's no longer the creature, at least until the enchantment is broken, but when summoned creatures die they poof away anyway.

So are my visions of an otherworldly rock garden, filled with the petrified forms of pseudonatural elephants and centipedes supported by anything, or just awesomeness?Supported by nothing, unfortunately. If you kill a summoned monster or cut off an arm or something, even the blood will vanish when the duration is up, so petrification certainly isn't going to get around that.

However, there's the Planar Binding/Ally line of spells which allows him to have servants for as long as he wants. Those would remain as statues, and he can send them on longer missions, meaning the players could be constantly getting attacked by cool monsters from the back of beyond while the BBEG does something important.