PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Contract [3.5]

Jansviper
2009-07-02, 11:27 PM
Somewhere, I saw a 3.5 summoning contract based on the anime Naruto. It was essentially summon monster X but only for a specific type of animal and required an item to do. Unless I'm mistaken, you still had to cast the spell, but were limited in choices and got certain benefits instead. Has anyone heard of or seen anything remotely like this?

Coidzor
2009-07-02, 11:29 PM
Hmm, like a conjuration-based reserve feat, maybe?

Jansviper
2009-07-02, 11:36 PM
A discussion on reserve feats is actually what brought the barely remembered idea up.

o_O If one of those is out there, please say so.

Aharon
2009-07-03, 02:07 AM
In Complete Mage, there's the Summon Elemental Reserve feat.

Choco
2009-07-03, 10:42 AM
http://www.narutod20.com/

Download the main rules pdf and what you need is in there.

Basically, if a character is in position to sign a contract with a certain creature, he needs to take the Blood Pact feat for that type of creature. From then on, he can summon those creatures. The more chakra he pays, the more powerful the creature he summons can be.

If you want to implement something similar in D&D 3.5, I would suggest using the Spell Points variant rule and deduct spell points like you would chakra, though you can also just remove a certain number of spell slots to do this, but spell points is easier.

These Naruto summons are much better than the normal D&D summoning, as the creatures can stay "summoned" for days if you took the right feats and have enough chakra, and also are generally much more powerful. The price for this, however, is that to summon an uber-powerful creature you need to give up almost all of your chakra, and unlike D&D you don't get back all of it when you rest like you do with spells (it recovers like HP does).