PDA

View Full Version : Post-Apocalyptic Mutant Animal Alternatives [generic]

Catbeard
2009-07-03, 04:58 AM
Heya

So I've been working on a Post-Apocalyptic Mutant Animal setting, and I think it's actually got some merit; decent fluff, background info, setting details and the like. I've not chosen the game system yet, but I'm concerned that if I went as far as getting it published it would be too close to existing settings such as After the Bomb and Rifts. I've tried very hard to steer clear of the details presented in these games, but I'd like some opinions as to whether one gaming company can corner the Post-Apocalyptic Mutant Animal market :).

Essentially are there other examples of the genre in RPGs and in sci-fi/fantasy literature that predate Palladium's mid-80's concepts, and could justify an alternative entry in the gaming world of anthropomorphopocalyptica (heh that was fun to type).

If more details about the setting are required let me know.

Thanks!

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 05:04 AM
So, what, like, humans drop the big one, either magically or nuclearly... and out of the ashes mutant animals gain intelligence and in some cases anthropomorphic fields?

Catbeard
2009-07-03, 05:19 AM
The catalyst for the change isn't set in stone.

Currently I'm toying with scientists mucking about with temporal experiments and getting it wrong big time, opening a permanent temporal warp, polluting the world with, I dunno, tachyon particles or some such that leads to the animal mutation/evolution. there's elements of the film The Mist in there for sure. the resulting nuclear war is a side effect of the catastrophe, as is the global flooding that changes the face of the world.

The implication of your question though is that the origin of the change is the defining feature that would determine whether the setting is unique enough to be different to other existing settings.... is that right?

Coidzor
2009-07-03, 05:31 AM
Well, the catalyst and historical fluff can definitely serve as a good basis for why the setting is different, and if it makes a better setting storywise...

I was mainly asking that to ascertain what it was you were actually asking about. I'm not familiar with any post-apocalyptic role-playing games other than Fallout, so that and Athas/Dark Sun are what my mind sort of gravitates towards, and... just wanted to see how important the furry aspect was.

bosssmiley
2009-07-03, 08:52 AM
Essentially are there other examples of the genre in RPGs and in sci-fi/fantasy literature that predate Palladium's mid-80's concepts, and could justify an alternative entry in the gaming world of anthropomorphopocalyptica (heh that was fun to type).

Mutant animals in a post-apocalyptic world with no humans? Forget After the Bomb, that meme's older than Gamma World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OYvHPpGDY) (link to supporting evidence from 1939). :smallamused: