PDA

View Full Version : about Elan's prophecy. you all forget

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 11:28 AM
Elan already HAD his happy ending. see it's right here.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0334.html

I'd tell you whether this was serious or a joke but to be honest I don't even know

Blackjackg
2009-07-03, 11:42 AM
And YOU forgot: Elan's an idiot.

No, but seriously. I'm pretty sure he won't know what a happy ending is until he really gets to it. Maybe not even then.

Teddy
2009-07-03, 11:45 AM
I wonder what made that a happy ending... I mean, the end of what?

Kish
2009-07-03, 11:45 AM
"you all forget," even properly capitalized, is such a promising title for a thread, I was cringing even before I clicked on this.

"Will this story have a happy ending?"
"Yes--for you, at least."

Interpreting that as meaning Belkar will give Elan a whistle may be the most extreme dismissal of the Oracle's honesty that I've seen, and I've seen a few.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 11:50 AM
except Elan's the one who said it came true not the oracle:smallwink:

yeah it was just a joke.

and yes I'm aware Elan's an idiot. I agree with Belkar. they should leave him for another year so he learns basic mulitplication:smallbiggrin:(no not really. I've had enough of the order being split up.)

Kish
2009-07-03, 11:51 AM
Oh, good. :smalltongue: Sorry about that. I'm too used to people advancing silly ideas very seriously.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-03, 11:56 AM
War and Xps Spoiler
The fact is that Giant stated in War and Xps that Elan's Prophecy will be the last one fullfilled. It was far far into the future, more than anyone elses.

DBJack
2009-07-03, 11:57 AM
'How will the story end?'

Not 'how will the day end?'

The story. The big finish. The gates. Xykon. The Linear Guild. The MiTD. Redcloak. Will it have a happy ending?

Yes. For Elan, at least.

The 'at least' is actually fun to speculate about. There were 6 people there, and it is implied at least a few of them will not have a happy ending. We know Belkar won't, not being long for this world and all, and Durkon is dying, but he's pretty happy about it. V will probably also have a tragic ending.

But what about Roy and Haley. Roy might fail to destroy Xykon, and he might get prevented from going to heaven where he is happy.

It will be hard to have a happy ending for Elan if Haley has a sad ending, although that might involve her father.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-03, 12:01 PM
War and Xps Spoiler
The fact is that Giant stated in War and Xps that Elan's Prophecy will be the last one fullfilled. It was far far into the future, more than anyone elses.

I was not aware of this. I don't have war and XPS and don't plan on buying it. the only book I have currently is otOoPCs. I plan on getting SoD sometime.

Meg
2009-07-03, 12:36 PM
Well, we know the world isn't going to get unmade, because of Goblin Dan's flash forward. Coupled with the Word of God about Elan's prophecy, it seems that good will indeed triumph over evil.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-03, 12:40 PM
nonexistence does not equal happy ending? there are some who would disagree.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-03, 12:45 PM
I was not aware of this. I don't have war and XPS and don't plan on buying it. the only book I have currently is otOoPCs. I plan on getting SoD sometime.

hmm, why? the hundreds of bonus comic strips, the comentary from the giant, the introductions by the characters (my favorite is Belkers). And tidbits like this, is why I bought all the books. But to each its own, I guess. some people watch a movie in the theater and forget it, and some buy the dvd after.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 12:46 PM
Well, we know the world isn't going to get unmade, because of Goblin Dan's flash forward. Coupled with the Word of God about Elan's prophecy, it seems that good will indeed triumph over evil.

We already know that because heroes fighting through a story, having character changes, awesome things and stuff, and then losing the entire thing, is a somewhat bad and unsatisfying story.
What I find so awesome about OotS is that, while I am aware of the fact that the "good guys" will win in the and and that the "bad guys" will lose (simply because it's a story that gets told) I do not know who of the good guys will suffer or die or even who of the evil guys will die... surely, Xykon has the fate to get destroyed, but what about Redcloak's ending? What about Tsukiko? What about the goblins? We can speculate, but it is freaking hard to foresee what's going to happen.

I could even imagine an old, retired Redcloak who sits with an old, retired Roy in the Tavern of Goblin Dan, talking about the old times (not as "friends" of course), when each of them had their goals and ambitions and everyone got a part of what they wanted... and that makes this story as great as it is.

NerfTW
2009-07-03, 12:59 PM

That, and ending the story with existence being undone would be a really anti-climactic **** move. In a short story, sure, but not in a 1000+ strip comic.

hmm, why? the hundreds of bonus comic strips, the comentary from the giant, the introductions by the characters (my favorite is Belkers). And tidbits like this, is why I bought all the books. But to each its own, I guess. some people watch a movie in the theater and forget it, and some buy the dvd after.

I really wish people would stop exaggerating the book's features. There are nowhere near "hundreds" of bonus comics. There's about 14 in each book, although War and XP's has another 10 or so pages of bonus stuff. Sell the books on their own merits, not an impossible ideal that will only lead to disappointed fans coming back here and wondering why they "only" got a compilation + 14 comics.

Ancalagon
2009-07-03, 01:02 PM
Sell the books on their own merits, not an impossible ideal that will only lead to disappointed fans coming back here and wondering why they "only" got a compilation + 14 comics.

I want to add that the printed comics have a better image-quality than the online-version. Each time I read them in paper I'm quite happy how much better the colours look, how sharper the text is (and yes, I have a good monitor, but the .gif-compression is clearly visible in the online version).

If for nothing else... get the books because your favourite comic looks better. ;)

I'd not say the bonus comics are "worth" it (they are simply a "bonus"), but the commentaries (including the prefaces) are a really nice thing.

FoE
2009-07-03, 01:30 PM

You know, that could have just been an Imagine Spot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.ImagineSpot) for Goblin Dan. It isn't necessarily a look into the future.

Kobold-Bard
2009-07-03, 02:16 PM

You should, it's a good read. Now admittedly I'm biased because I have a man-crush on :xykon:, but my point still stands.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-03, 03:01 PM

Belker's? The Giant did an introduction for a strange air elemental?

Seriously, the books sound cool.
Especilly OtOotP and SoD, and to a somewhat lesser extent the book with Haley's translations in it. The cryptogram changes from comic to comic! **** your inability to let us figure out what Haley says on our own!
Oops, sorry.

Ridureyu
2009-07-03, 03:02 PM
nonexistence does not equal happy ending? there are some who would disagree.

Final Fantasy villain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NerfTW
2009-07-03, 03:06 PM
The translations are all grouped together at the end of the commentary for each section. You can easily skip them, and the original cryptograms are still in the comics themselves.

moondog
2009-07-03, 03:13 PM
considering it's been more than hinted several times that elan and haley are sleeping together since she got her speech back, i'd say elan has had his "happy ending" many times over! :smallbiggrin:

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-03, 03:17 PM
*waves hand* This is not the happy ending that you are looking for. We can go about our business. Move along

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-03, 03:21 PM
The translations are all grouped together at the end of the commentary for each section. You can easily skip them, and the original cryptograms are still in the comics themselves.

That's what counts as a "joke".

Atilla
2009-07-03, 03:54 PM

Wow dude ... you almost went all the way down on this right there. SRSLY, give it a good once-over. Geez, instead of saying - wow, it's a really good book, I highly recommend it - you actually have the nerve to criticize others for not having it?

Speak about hardcore fans all you want boys, but this lad so far is my personal favorite.