PDA

View Full Version : Mildly Special Materials

AugustNights
2009-07-03, 07:07 PM
Far too often have I run across a player complaining that they cannot afford a Fiery, or Chilling weapon as early as they would like. Others seem to feel cheated by the 'Enchanted Weapons must have at least a +1' when digging around for equipment. So I have whipped up some special materials to cater to cost effective elemental weaponry.

Evercoal
[B] This red rock can only be mined from the depths of the elemental plane of Fire. This stone is surprisingly difficult to work with and requires a very clever smith to forge weapons out of. [Some may wish to forge armor out of this material, however it is usually not the best of ideas.] It must be cooled to be tempered, and quenched in heat. This material appears like obsidian spotted with faintly glowing red patches. This produces light equivalent to a candle. When used to forge a weapon, it is generally only used in the business end. The weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of fire damage with a successful hit.When used to forge armor this material deals one point of fire damage to anyone wearing it every round after the armor has begun to be donned, and they are treated as if in a temperature range one step higher than they currently are. On a successful grapple check this armor deals 1d6 points of fire damage to an opponent. Anyone striking the the character that wears this armor with a natural weapon, or an unarmed attack suffers 1d6 points of fire damage. Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 1,500gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.] With armor the evercoal is only alloyed in key areas, as such any armor made with ever coal only costs 1,500 gp. Weapons and armor made of evercoal cost twice as much to magically enhance as their counterparts.
Evercoal has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8.

Kelvinite
Those who chip away at lord Levisus's stygian prison, find their toils to be only mildly compensated when they find a vein of what they refer to as kelvinite. The midnight blue shards of ice-gem seem to be more than ostentatious, they also make for interesting weaponry. The conditions for carving out weapons and armor from this ice-gem are very rare indeed, as that it practically needs to be bathed in molten lava to be soft enough for conventional tools to work with. However a skilled crafts person may be able to do some work with Adamantine tools at his disposal. When used to forge a weapon, it is generally only used in the business end. The weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of cold damage with a successful hit. When used to forge armor this material deals 1 point of cold damage to anyone wearing it every round after the armor has begun to be donned, and they are treated as if in a temperature range one step lower than they currently are. On a successful grapple check this armor deals 1d6 points of cold damage to an opponent. Anyone striking the the character that wears this armor with a natural weapon, or an unarmed attack suffers 1d6 points of cold damage. Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 1,500gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.] With armor the kelvinite is only alloyed in key areas, as such any armor made with ever coal only costs 1,500 gp. Weapons and armor made of kelvinite cost twice as much to magically enhance as their counterparts.
Kelvinite has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8.

Logranite
Rather than mined, logranite is a special material made from a strange combination of metallurgy, alchemy, and oddly enough sound. Logranite is the pride of gnomish metallurgy. The laboratory conditions required to create logranite requires a very distinctly changing frequency of sounds, sometimes referred to as the logre-song. When finished this material appears to be simple grey stone, with black imperfections, however, it has the amazing properties of being able to hold an edge as proficiently as steel or iron, but even more interestingly, logranite vibrates when moved sharply or rapidly. When used to forge a weapon, it is generally only used in the business end. The weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of sonic damage with a successful hit. When used to forge armor this material deals 1 point of sonic damage to anyone wearing it every round after the armor has begun to be donned, and they suffer a penalty to all saving throws and armor class checks against attacks involving sonic damage. On a successful grapple check this armor deals 1d6 points of sonic damage to an opponent. Anyone striking the character that wears this armor with a natural weapon, or an unarmed attack suffers 1d6 points of sonic damage. Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 2,000gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.] With armor the logranite is only alloyed in key areas, as such any armor made with ever coal only costs 2,000 gp. Weapons and armor made of logranite cost twice as much to magically enhance as their counterparts.
Logranite has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8.

Vitrioleum
Vitrioleum is an extraordinarily previous mineral that can be mined from the elemental plane of earth. Ancient planar traveling dwarves discovered it ages ago, and now hunt this rock as greedily as any other special property mineral of value. This raw stone appears to have small green crystals protruding from it, with several flaws and ‘rock-bubbles’ in each crystal. These crystals can be worked only in high altitudes, and only responds to organic materials, requiring complicated tools. When used to forge a weapon, it is generally only used in the business end.
The weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of acid damage with a successful hit. When used to forge armor this material deals 1 point of acid damage to anyone wearing it every round after the armor has begun to be donned, and they suffer a -4 penalty to all saving throws and armor class checks against attacks involving Acid. On a successful grapple check this armor deals 1d6 points of acid damage to an opponent. Anyone striking the character that wears this armor with a natural weapon, or an unarmed attack suffers 1d6 points of acid damage. Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 1,500gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.] With armor the vitrioleum is only alloyed in key areas, as such any armor made with ever coal only costs 1,500 gp. Weapons and armor made of vitrioleum cost twice as much to magically enhance as their counterparts.
vitrioleum has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8.

Wolfram
This strange metal can be found within the plane of Air. This stone is frequently used as a part of golem construction, and small bits of it are included within the 'special' materials cost. For some strange reason, this metal always holds a charge, which it may transfer to others with relative ease. The metal looks like violet tinted steel and frequently arcs with small sparks. Working this metal is always tricky, and often entails some form of magical protection, or clever means of redirecting the surges of energy. When used to forge a weapon, it is generally only used in the business end. The weapon deals an additional 1d6 points of electricity damage with a successful hit. When used to forge armor this material deals 1 point of electricity damage to anyone wearing it every round after the armor has begun to be donned, and they suffer a -4 penalty to all saving throws and armor class checks against attacks involving Electricity. On a successful grapple check this armor deals 1d6 points of electricity damage to an opponent. Anyone striking the character that wears this armor with a natural weapon, or an unarmed attack suffers 1d6 points of electricity damage. Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 1,500gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.] With armor the wolfram is only alloyed in key areas, as such any armor made with ever coal only costs 1,500 gp. Weapons and armor made of wolfram cost twice as much to magically enhance as their counterparts.
Wolfram has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 8.

A chump's two pence:
15/1/11: Updated to clean up language, add armor price, include hardness/hp, and introduce Acid and Sonic damage, Force damage right now seems a bit out there to me, and probably left magical. But maybe I'll think of something by next year...

Stormthorn
2009-07-03, 08:10 PM
But what about Sonic (Screaming Weapon i beliece, from one of the FR books)?

But i agree that the "must have +1" is pretty lame for the elementals and for Merciful especialy.

deuxhero
2009-07-03, 09:15 PM
Regardless of the weapon, enhancing one business end costs 1,500gp. [50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.]

Weapons made of ____ cost twice as much to enchant as their counterparts.

I don't get it.

edit: Nevermind, one says enchancing (i.e., making it out of) and the other enchanting (e.g., +1 keen)

DracoDei
2009-07-03, 09:18 PM
I don't get it.
IE if you make it a plus +1 weapon it costs 4,000 GP, rather than 2,000 GP. +2 or +1 with a +1 equivalent enchantment (say... Shocking), Costs 16,000 instead of 8,000, and so on and so forth.

Knaight
2009-07-03, 09:19 PM
It circumvents at least +1 worth of enchantment, and each step up is a pretty significant increase. An evercoal +2 sword is cheaper than a flaming +2 sword for instance. It balances things out at higher levels, while allowing them to show up earlier.

Of course, this is conjecture, I'm not the one who came up with all this.

AugustNights
2009-07-03, 10:56 PM
It circumvents at least +1 worth of enchantment, and each step up is a pretty significant increase. An evercoal +2 sword is cheaper than a flaming +2 sword for instance. It balances things out at higher levels, while allowing them to show up earlier..

Exactly my intent.

DMBlackhart
2009-07-03, 11:23 PM
Don't know how much this is worth but, Bravo. I of course love homebrew creations, and as far as some stuff goes, this is awsome. I can assure you, these WILL be showing up in future campaigns of mine ( at your approval of course. :p)

mikeejimbo
2009-07-03, 11:49 PM
What damage type is associated with earth? It'd be neat to have one with that.

Also, I've never seen tungsten deal electric damage. :smalltongue:

AugustNights
2009-07-04, 12:49 AM
Don't know how much this is worth but, Bravo. I of course love homebrew creations, and as far as some stuff goes, this is awsome. I can assure you, these WILL be showing up in future campaigns of mine ( at your approval of course. :p)

If you like it, use it. keep in mind that this stuff has some mild complications, like the inability to effect incorporeal creatures (It's not magical) and the ability to function within AMF and immunity to disjunction and break enchantment.

What damage type is associated with earth? It'd be neat to have one with that.
Acid is generally what I associate with earth, but generally you'll not find an elemental based damage to represent earth.

Sonic, Acid, Force, Shadow, really any type of damage can be applied to a 'strange mineral.' if you like. Go nuts.

Also, I've never seen tungsten deal electric damage.
Aye, and I've yet to see an Orc. But I figured if it's good enough for Railguns, it's good enough for me.

mikeejimbo
2009-07-04, 09:12 AM
IAcid is generally what I associate with earth, but generally you'll not find an elemental based damage to represent earth.

Sonic, Acid, Force, Shadow, really any type of damage can be applied to a 'strange mineral.' if you like. Go nuts.

I figured it would be acid, though I've also seen that associated with water. Still, I guess it wouldn't really be hard to just replace the damage type and keep the same stats for different materials.