PDA

View Full Version : Converting the Silver Hellstar (to 4e) [Step 1: Concept]

Reverent-One
2009-07-03, 08:30 PM
So, I have the desire to use the Silver Hellstar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5453448#post5453448) for the next campaign I run, and if Afro does not mind "tainting" his creation by bringing it into 4e :smalltongue:, I was hoping to turn converting it (and its many minions) into something of a group project, as I am not crazy enough to try to do it myself, and I'm sure other 4e DMs would like to use it as well.

Now, to avoid biting off more then we can chew, I suggest breaking down the converting process into smaller steps, probably not touching the Hellstar itself until sometime nearer to the end. In fact, I'd convert it in about the same order as the Hellstar consumes a planet, probes, then devils, then the Hellstar itself.

Anyone interested?

The first step for me though, even before trying to stat out the first probe, is to figure out how it fits narratively, given the changes to the 4e default cosmology. There is no longer any blood war, no unending struggle between infinite devils and demons, so where do it begin? Honestly, given that the games my group plays are pretty much "generic D&D world X", I could just throw out the removal of the Blood War and say it's still ongoing, but I would like to come up with a different solution than just giving up. Perhaps it was built by the Primordials as an "I win" button, to return planets to the state the Primordials desire them to be in, but when it's own sentience awoke, they couldn't control it anymore. But if it doesn't work for them, why still go around destroying planets? Maybe it believes that while the Primordials were fought back, they are strengthening, and will return to power. This idea would require two tweaks to the standard 4e cosmology that I can see, 1) the war between the Primordials and Deities was not just fought over one world that the primal spirits convinced them would be too costly to take, but over many different worlds, and that war is not running against the Primordial's favor as much as that one front, and 2) when the Primordials dominate a world, they prevent the souls of those there from passing on to their normal final rest via the Raven Queen, thus giving a reason why the Hellstar thinks it's helping by killing them itself, instead of letting them be controlled by the Primordials. Thoughts? Opinions?