PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic Oots Complilation!!

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-07-03, 08:30 PM
Think about it....every oots published book, every comic, every preface, every commentary, all in one huge book. A big gigantic book entitled "vaarsuvius4181's great awesome idea" and in fine print "oots compilation". Just kidding about that part but i was thinking if i had inadvertently come up with a ridiculously dumb idea which people will mock this thread for or if this was a actually a pretty cool idea. It would have every feature of every book in one, all for the low price of 9.95! (Plus 150 dollars by credit card.)

NerfTW
2009-07-03, 08:32 PM
I've never understood the allure of giant, unwieldy compilation books that weigh fifty pounds.

What's wrong with just the regular ones?

Trickywiggy
2009-07-03, 08:32 PM
It would definitely be at the end of the series. But if I only own SoD and Origins by the that time I would consider purchasing it.

dps
2009-07-03, 08:39 PM
I've never understood the allure of giant, unwieldy compilation books that weigh fifty pounds.

What's wrong with just the regular ones?

The giant hardback volumes can stop a bullet for you, and be used as a bludgeon. :smallbiggrin:

Cryssandra
2009-07-03, 08:46 PM
Also, people don't like paying a lot all at once.
They prefer to buy the books separately so that it seems like thay are spending less when they aren't.

Lissou
2009-07-03, 09:07 PM
Omnibus editions are usually unpractical, heavy, and if you only want to read one of the books you're out of luck because you have to carry around all of the other ones as well.
I could see it as some kind of collector's item that nobody actually reads from, but as an actual book meant to be read and re-read? Not really.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-03, 09:14 PM
The compilation books are pretty heavy as they are. Five or more of them together, plus a huge amount of bonus content, would be literally unreadable.

...Unless... maybe with some kind of huge mechanized lectern...?

A special edition pack-in, maybe? :smallamused:

Bibliomancer
2009-07-03, 09:26 PM
Well, by the time the series is finished it would be a very interesting file to buy on an Amazon Kindle (electronic book viewer).

Prowl
2009-07-03, 10:08 PM
I'd buy an omnibus edition, if it was moisture resistant.

Mando Knight
2009-07-03, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't. All-in-one volumes tend to wear out the spine faster, meaning that the book breaks faster. The volume would have to be published like a hardcover university textbook in order to stay together, and then it would cost several hundred dollars.

Shadic
2009-07-03, 11:05 PM
I've already got five OotS books and a shirt. Which means.. I've already spent $143.74 or merchandise/books... That's not including shipping.

I don't think I'd buy a compilation. Those five books together are pretty heavy already, though. Also, The Giant SOMEWHERE mentioned that he planned on making a compilation, but I think that was just of the first two books, or something. Either way, that idea seems to have fallen through.

And for some reason, my mod senses are tingling. I see this being closed by Roland or something soon.

David Demola
2009-07-03, 11:21 PM
Think about it....every oots published book, every comic, every preface, every commentary, all in one huge book. A big gigantic book entitled "vaarsuvius4181's great awesome idea" and in fine print "oots compilation". Just kidding about that part but i was thinking if i had inadvertently come up with a ridiculously dumb idea which people will mock this thread for or if this was a actually a pretty cool idea. It would have every feature of every book in one, all for the low price of 9.95! (Plus 150 dollars by credit card.)

Why not make a MEGA-Compilation book, and put in the Dragonlance annotated compilation AND the Lord of the Rings annotated compilation books AND the OotS compilation book ALL INTO ONE!

IT WOULD BE MADNESS, I TELL YOU.

MADNESSS!!!!!!

Starscream
2009-07-03, 11:45 PM
There's already a compilation that lets you read 90% of the OOTS material. It's called Giantitp.com.

You don't get the bonus strips or the prequel material, but you DO get a plethora of fascinating commentary such as "V's Gender Speculation vol XXIII" and "Reasons Belkar is Clearly Chaotic Good: The Greatest Hits"!

Act now and we'll throw in "I Think The MiTD is A Dire Flumph" for no extra charge!

Edit:
Okay, I'm totally going to learn to play an instrument just so I can start a band and call it "Dire Flumph". You can't have it, I've got dibs!

factotum
2009-07-04, 12:32 AM
Such an enormous book (including bonus material and prequels, well over 800 pages long even as we stand now--who knows how big it'll be by the end of the series?) would be heavy, unwieldy, and prone to the spine breaking and all the pages falling out if you read it more than once. (A fate that happened to my paperback all-in-one volume of "The Lord of the Rings", which is a much smaller volume in terms of page size than we're talking here). I think having a number of separate books is a better approach, to be honest.

blackspeeker
2009-07-04, 12:34 AM
I'd buy an omnibus edition, if it was moisture resistant.

Bathtub reading?

Cryssandra
2009-07-04, 01:03 AM
Bathtub reading?

Bathtub reading...
that sounds like a pretty good idea....
gotta be careful though

xyzzy
2009-07-04, 01:15 AM
Something along the lines of the omnibus edition of Calvin & Hobbes or The Far Side would be amazing -- nice, huge, leather-bound books with a fancy protective case. I'd totally buy it. Sure, it'd be super-expensive, but it would also be amazing.

Meg
2009-07-04, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't want all thousand or so strips in one book, as you'd need a zoning permit for it. But if he combined the strips into 4 or 5 volumes sold as a box set... Well, I'd buy that.

Lissou
2009-07-04, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't want all thousand or so strips in one book, as you'd need a zoning permit for it. But if he combined the strips into 4 or 5 volumes sold as a box set... Well, I'd buy that.

So, basically, the books as they are now, but put in a case and sold as a package?

That, I can see. I could even see a special edition where they're all hardcover or something (although Origins and SoD might have to be put together then. Origin as a hardcover would be more cover than book :P).

As long as they stay separate volumes I can see it. All in one just seems like it would be completely unmanageable.

Gamerlord
2009-07-04, 09:39 AM
That would be cool, from the start of SoD to the end of the comic, with all the commentary to boot, and some extra!

NerfTW
2009-07-04, 10:05 AM
Except that SOD assumes you've read at least through the Crayons of Time scenario. At best, it should be read around the start of the Azure City attack, since the revelation of Red Cloak as someone called "The bearer of the Crimson Mantle!" and the MitD's ability to trounce Miko lose a bit of their impact when you know their origins. (and the book came out at that time)