PDA

View Full Version : Making something of the Master Thrower

Faulty
2009-07-03, 11:11 PM
I have a character in mind for a PbP game here and a basic idea of crunch build. He's definitely the Rogue type, and I was looking through my books for Rogue friendly PrCs and the Master Thrower seems interesting. Is it good, and how should it be executed?

The Gilded Duke
2009-07-03, 11:21 PM
I like to use it for dipping but not going all the the way.
You might also want to check out:
Bloodstorm Blade from Tome of Battle
Talentia Boomerang Xen'Drik Boomerang and the various Eberron feats that work with them.

Dragonmuncher
2009-07-04, 02:00 AM
I once made a neat build of a shuriken-master by combining master thrower and exotic weapon master. Had a bunch of neat tricks, such as denying the Dex bonus to AC and making attacks as a touch attack (I think). Combine with monk and poison for good times!

Doc Roc
2009-07-04, 02:33 PM
The master thrower is superb. Check the other co boards. :)

ex cathedra
2009-07-04, 04:40 PM
It's really quite nice. Palm Throw, Trip Shot, and its capstone trick (the name evades me. allows you to make thrown weapon attacks as ranged touch) are all quite nice. Bloodstorm Blade does indeed complement it well.

Palm Throw especially lends itself well to shenanigans. It doesn't work well with rogues, sadly; I believe the errata clarified that Palm Throw is a volley attack so it doesn't double precision damage, however. Oddly enough, the class seems to favor power-attackers and odd niches (Necrotic Focus Soul Eaters) rather than rogues, in some respects.

Keld Denar
2009-07-04, 05:00 PM
Palm Throw also works well with Dragonfire Inspiration. I built Flick, the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94343) (scroll down to post 11) a while back, and he's a halfling knife chucker who takes full advantage of Palm Throw combined with Rapid Shot and TWFing AND Xing Mongoose to throw obsene amounts of daggers in a round, each with a little of that dragon flame-broiled flavor cooked in. Granted, weak against anything with even Fire Resist 10, but still fun and interesting in most campaigns. Being a halfling really is a huge advantage since they have an effective +3 to hit over a similarly statted human with their +2 dex, +1 size, and +1 racial bonus to hit with thrown or slung objects.

Signmaker
2009-07-04, 05:18 PM
Flick

Suggestion to circumvent resistance: one level of sorcerer, the draconic heritage feat, and a 5000 gp ritual (I forget what it's called) allows the sorcerer to change their draconic ancestor, and thus, the Inspiration damage type. I don't know how badly it might affect your build, but you could always swap out fire damage for Battle Dragon->Sonic Damage.

Keld Denar
2009-07-04, 05:36 PM
a 5000 gp ritual (I forget what it's called) .

Rite of Draconic Affinity, its in Races of the Dragon.

Costs a level of Sorcerer, though, which drops BAB, IL, IC, and a few other things, plus it costs another feat in an already starved build. It unfocuses the build. Its not ideal unless you plan on splunking hell or doing hard time on the elemental plane of fire...

Besides, Pyroclastic Dragon would be better than Battle. Then you'd get Fire OR Sonic as a choice, so you could take advantage of vulnerabilities.

Teln
2009-07-04, 06:39 PM
I saw the title and thought the thread was about the Hulking Hurler.

AslanCross
2009-07-05, 01:26 AM
The Master Thrower is good if you want to fire multiple small weapons. The Bloodstorm Blade is a saner substitute for the Hulking Hurler.