PDA

View Full Version : Teleport Field

Lysander
2009-07-04, 12:49 AM
There's always a scene in fantasy movies when someone encounters a wizard and they teleport repeatedly around the room. This is my attempt to recreate that:

Teleport Field
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Centered on spot up to 20 feet away
Target: Fixed cubic area 100ft across
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

For the spell's duration the caster can teleport between any two spots in the target area as a standard action. The effect is identical to Dimension Door, except confined within the 100ft area and it can be done without limit while the spell lasts. If you leave the area you will not be able to make use of the spell, but if you return it will still function for its duration.

It is possible to cast overlapping Teleport Fields and make use of whichever one you choose, but each field counts as an independent zone.

Teleport Fields can be made permanent with the Permanency spell.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-04, 08:07 AM
How about this?

Omniteleportation Field

For the spell's duration the anyone in the area with an Intelligence score of at least 3 or a Wisdom score of at least 17 can teleport between any two spots in the target area as a standard action. The effect is identical to Dimension Door, except confined within the 100ft area and it can be done without limit while the spell lasts. If someone leaves the area they will not be able to make use of the spell, but if they return it will still function for its duration.

It is possible to cast overlapping Teleport Fields and make use of whichever one a person chooses, but each field counts as an independent zone.

Omnieleportation Fields can be made permanent with the Permanency spell, with the same XP cost as Teleportation Field.

Also, what's the XP cost to make Teleportation Field permanent?

Lysander
2009-07-04, 08:31 AM
How about this?

Omniteleportation Field

For the spell's duration the anyone in the area can teleport between any two spots in the target area as a standard action. The effect is identical to Dimension Door, except confined within the 100ft area and it can be done without limit while the spell lasts. If someone leaves the area they will not be able to make use of the spell, but if they return it will still function for its duration.

It is possible to cast overlapping Teleport Fields and make use of whichever one a person chooses, but each field counts as an independent zone.

Omnieleportation Fields can be made permanent with the Permanency spell, with the same XP cost as Teleportation Field.

That would be a neat spell. Kind of a Greater Teleport Field. Imagine a military command center or a busy workshop that allows every employee to jump around. I think it should be higher level though since it grants EVERYONE the power to teleport around the area, not just the caster. Also, does the field apply to animals to? Can any living creature down to a mosquito teleport around, or do they need to have a certain intelligence? Maybe when casting it the caster can assign a password that people must utter to trigger the effect.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-04, 08:42 AM
That would be a neat spell. Kind of a Greater Teleport Field. Imagine a military command center or a busy workshop that allows every employee to jump around. I think it should be higher level though since it grants EVERYONE the power to teleport around the area, not just the caster. Also, does the field apply to animals to? Can any living creature down to a mosquito teleport around, or do they need to have a certain intelligence? Maybe when casting it the caster can assign a password that people must utter to trigger the effect.

It grants everyone the ability to teleport, even your enemies.
I'll consider your ideas, though.

Lysander
2009-07-04, 08:46 AM
It grants everyone the ability to teleport, even your enemies.
I'll consider your ideas, though.

Perhaps any creature that knows there is a teleport field can use it, so only creatures intelligent enough to understand that it exists can use it. That would exclude animals (unless they were very well trained I suppose).

Zeta Kai
2009-07-04, 08:52 AM
Omniteleportation Field

Your only change is to allow anyone (not just the caster) to use the field. I don't think that this is in keeping with the stated purpose of the spell.

Let's take an example from the Legend of Zelda games, which may have been the inspiration for the spell in the first place. Link walks into a room, the door locks behind him, & out of nowhere a Wizzrobe appears. The wizzy bounces around the room, blinking from place to place, & Link is left trying to guess where it'll appear next, all while dodging its nasty arcane artillery.

Think about how different the encounter would be if Link could use the teleportation pads, as well. It might be cool, but it wouldn't be the same kind of battle at all, & I think that it would've been far easier on poor Link. Any Wizzrobe worth his wand wouldn't want to cast a spell that gave his opponent that same advantage as him.

I'd say that the spell should stay as the OP wrote it, with perhaps a clause added that would allow the caster to designate certain allies to access the field as well. That would open it up for the Wizzrobe Wizard's friends, while still keeping the field closed to opponents.

The formula for determining the XP cost of a permanencied spell is (Minimum Caster Level - 8) × 500XP. In this case, the MCL is 9th level (Sorcerers have to wait until 10th level, but it's 9th for Wizards), so the cost would be 500XP, if we are keeping with RAW.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-07-04, 08:57 AM
Your only change is to allow anyone (not just the caster) to use the field. I don't think that this is in keeping with the stated purpose of the spell.

Let's take an example from the Legend of Zelda games, which may have been the inspiration for the spell in the first place. Link walks into a room, the door locks behind him, & out of nowhere a Wizzrobe appears. The wizzy bounces around the room, blinking from place to place, & Link is left trying to guess where it'll appear next, all while dodging its nasty arcane artillery.

Think about how different the encounter would be if Link could use the teleportation pads, as well. It might be cool, but it wouldn't be the same kind of battle at all, & I think that it would've been far easier on poor Link. Any Wizzrobe worth his wand wouldn't want to cast a spell that gave his opponent that same advantage as him.

I'd say that the spell should stay as the OP wrote it, with perhaps a clause added that would allow the caster to designate certain allies to access the field as well. That would open it up for the Wizzrobe Wizard's friends, while still keeping the field closed to opponents.
Er...this is supposed to be a completely different spell.

The formula for determining the XP cost of a permanencied spell is (Minimum Caster Level - 8) × 500XP. In this case, the MCL is 9th level (Sorcerers have to wait until 10th level, but it's 9th for Wizards), so the cost would be 500XP, if we are keeping with RAW.
Mind if I ask where that's from?

Zeta Kai
2009-07-04, 09:13 AM
Mind if I ask where that's from?

I read the rules for permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm), analyzed them, & discerned the pattern. There are no exceptions to the formula that I can see.

DracoDei
2009-07-04, 09:59 AM
I think the short distances you can teleport makes up for the fact that you can go more than once, rending this spell to have the correct level. The fact that you can't act after D-Dooring (which should apply EACH time you use it) will help keep it under control.

Lysander
2009-07-04, 11:02 PM
I think the short distances you can teleport makes up for the fact that you can go more than once, rending this spell to have the correct level. The fact that you can't act after D-Dooring (which should apply EACH time you use it) will help keep it under control.

Yeah, the only way a wizard would be able to cast spells and use the field each round is to exclusively use Quickened Spells. Ideally they'd use the spell to move far away from a melee attacker, cast offensive spells, then teleport when their enemy gets close to them again.

It's not just useful in combat though. It'd just be handy in every day life. What wizard wouldn't want to be able to teleport from their study, to their spell component storage room to pick up an eye of newt, then to their wine cellar to pick up a bottle, then to their kitchen to get a glass, then back to their study to research a new spell while getting drunk, all without spending any spell slots on several Dimension Door.

DracoDei
2009-07-04, 11:24 PM
Yes, it does sound convienient possibly.

Fizban
2009-07-05, 05:27 AM
There are two spells that give the ability to teleport multiple times that I know of, which are pretty much the same level: Greater Dimension Door and Dimension Step. One's in Complete Mage and I think the other's in Spell compendium, and one is definitely way better than the other (not that I can remember which is which). The field idea I think is a good trade off for the minutes/level duration instead of the rounds/level you'd get with the others, and of course requires the wizard to stay in the boss fight room.