PDA

View Full Version : LA 0 Raksashas.

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-04, 10:05 AM
What sort of stats would you give to a Raksasha, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm , if you wanted to use it in a game where LA and HDs weren't allowed at all? I was talking to a friend about it and I'm not happy with the version I came up with.

JeminiZero
2009-07-04, 10:12 AM
I suppose it depends on what aspects of them you want to keep. If you want the Change Shape ability, just use a refluffed Changeling and call it a lesser Rakshasa.

If you want Outsider type, it might be fair to go with a refluffed human whose bonus feat was automatically spent on the Otherworldly feat.

Xefas
2009-07-04, 10:17 AM
Humanoid Type (For balance reasons)

+2 Cha, -2 Str (Meaningless blurb justifying this beyond the fact that Charisma is the highest stat for the full Rakshasa, and strength is the lowest)

Disguise Self (as the spell) as an at-will supernatural ability.

+2 on Bluff and Disguise Checks

(Blurb about the Rakshasa not needing to eat or sleep, and not aging, as a thinly veiled attempt to give them the pizazz of the Outsider type without the combat-mechanical advantage of immunity to spells specifically targeting humanoids or being able to use various shapechanging effects to become Outsiders)

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-04, 10:20 AM
+2 Cha, -2 Str (for the casting versions of it)
Monstrous Humanoid
Outsider Blood (effects consider them Native Outsiders, but spells don't)
Darkvision out to 60ft
DR 1/Cold Iron and Magic, +1 per 5 levels.
Can cast the following cantrips as SLAs 3 times/day (each):
Detect Poison
Mage Hand

Disguise Self (Humanoid Only) 1/day, CL equal to twice character level.

Maybe a few other abilities (and a variant for the melee and ToB versions).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-07-04, 10:23 AM
There's a Half Rakshasa (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf) (page 6), but it has a +3 LA. Still probably a better start than trying to strip down the full creature.

bosssmiley
2009-07-04, 10:41 AM
Mystaran Rakastas (http://www.pandius.com/raka35e.html) (cat-people), probably make a decent base for a PC rakshasa race. Add Tome Series Outsider class levels to turn them into proper demonic Rakshasas as they level...

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-04, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. :smallsmile: Ironically, I converted Rakastas to the 3.5 edition a while back (my version is like the version bosssmiley mentioned with less features; I mentioned it to my friend but they liked the fluff for Raksashas). Xefas, would having your version as an Outsider be that bad? I'd probably give it Darkvision 60' as well due to just Disguise Self and the +2 to Disguise and Bluff not seeming as good as other LA 0 races to me.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-04, 12:41 PM
I don't think that the Outsider type is a big deal if alter self and polymorph are banned, which they probably should be. The real problem is with the spells, not the creature type.

(Blurb about the Rakshasa not needing to eat or sleep, and not aging, as a thinly veiled attempt to give them the pizazz of the Outsider type without the combat-mechanical advantage of immunity to spells specifically targeting humanoids or being able to use various shapechanging effects to become Outsiders)
But rakshasas don't get those things now, because they're Native Outsiders. :smallconfused: The not eating and not sleeping, I mean.