PDA

View Full Version : Whence V's Hair Tie?

rewinn
2009-07-04, 12:23 PM
Where did V get the hair tie?

I don't think V has previously tied the hair up, so there wouldn't be any reason to carry one around.

Are hair ties are like familiars?

Zerg Cookie
2009-07-04, 12:26 PM
I think it's her Headband of Intellect +4

Keris
2009-07-04, 12:27 PM
As I understand it, he used his old headband.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Claudius Maximus
2009-07-04, 12:29 PM
Was anyone else under the impression that it was a rigid tiara-like thing? I was surprised when he tied it.

Kaytara
2009-07-04, 01:04 PM
Was anyone else under the impression that it was a rigid tiara-like thing? I was surprised when he tied it.

Me too. I spent like half a minute staring at the third panel trying to figure out if it were some sort of flexible metal or something before I realised that it was just cloth rather than metal.

And I drew so much fanart under that impression, as well! Gah! Damn you, Rich! DAMN YOU! D:

Flickerdart
2009-07-04, 01:11 PM
Prestidigitation. Minor Creation? Something like that. Except...right, Vaarsuvius banned Conjuration.

Lissou
2009-07-04, 02:14 PM

Same here. I even looked at the rigid type when looking for cosplay material.
Maybe it's still metal, but something more like a chain?

Milskidasith
2009-07-04, 02:35 PM
Prestidigitation. Minor Creation? Something like that. Except...right, Vaarsuvius banned Conjuration.

Prestidigitation is universal, isn't it?

Khaeta
2009-07-04, 02:40 PM
Prestidigitation is universal, isn't it?

It is, but I believe it states in the spell description that it cannot create functioning objects. I think that the function of a hair tie is to tie hair, so that's not it. I think that the headband was just cloth or string or something, and the fact that V is no longer wearing it symbolizes V's departure from a blind search for power.

Corwin Weber
2009-07-04, 03:06 PM

Yes. I even thought I'd seen it displayed as a rigid ring when it wasn't on hir head.... but I can't find that strip. I thought it was the one where the young dragon got disintegrated, but I just checked and the accessory is only shown on V's head already....

Morquard
2009-07-04, 03:34 PM
Its lying on the ground here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html), when he just got turned into the lizard.
But might just have accidently fallen to the ground in a perfect circle :)

Rotipher
2009-07-04, 04:12 PM
What, it has to be a big, perplexing mystery where ve got it? A wizard's spell component pouch can't happen to include a piece of string?

Endarire
2009-07-04, 04:24 PM
I think that the headband was just cloth or string or something, and the fact that V is no longer wearing it symbolizes V's departure from a blind search for power.

How does the hair tie relate to symbolizing power? Huh?

Kaytara
2009-07-04, 04:25 PM
Rotipher, because it's a pretty big coincidence that in panel three the hair tie looks identical to the hairband both in colour and shape.

I'll say... the origin of the hair tie is ambiguous.

Khaeta
2009-07-04, 04:28 PM

Well, I don't know, I thought it kind of represented V's lightening up and (if it is the headband of intellect; I think it is) V's becoming more relaxed about power.
I'm probably over-thinking it, but there you are.

Ragn Charran
2009-07-04, 06:39 PM
Could just be interpretation of the "resizing magic items" rule. Since they always fit regardless of individual size (or IIRC in 3.5, within the limit of one's own size category), Rich could just be saying it's a magic item that resizes to fit where it is worn.

Lurk-Sothoth
2009-07-04, 07:05 PM
Assuming that it is V's Headband of Intellect +4, does it still serve its stated purpose in its current use? Or is it now like a Ponytailer of Good Hair +3?

Morquard
2009-07-04, 07:13 PM
I don't think its stated anywhere that its a headband of intelect +anything.

Might just be a totally normal fashion accessoir.

Salty
2009-07-04, 07:39 PM
I don't think its stated anywhere that its a headband of intelect +anything.

Might just be a totally normal fashion accessoir.

Does V strike you as the type of elf that would wear an accessory with no practical use? :smallamused:

Trizap
2009-07-04, 07:43 PM
maybe its just something from the hyperspace arsenal we shouldn't really focus on, and instead concentrate on more important stuff? (like what is V's gender? :smalltongue:)

HZ514
2009-07-04, 07:46 PM
It threw me, too. What's the only explanation for a headband becoming a hair tie? A wizard did it. :smallbiggrin:

Morquard
2009-07-04, 08:07 PM
Does V strike you as the type of elf that would wear an accessory with no practical use? :smallamused:
It keeps his hair from falling into his face. Counts as "practical use" for me.
I mean, I would go as far and say 99.99999% of earths population that use headbands etc use them not because it raises their intellect.

awibs
2009-07-05, 02:26 PM
Can somebody show me where precisely it was stated that the original headband was a +4 intellect thing? I can't seem to find it in the archives. I have SoD, but not OotPCs.

Asta Kask
2009-07-05, 02:38 PM

Ehh... Samson and Delilah? OMG, it all makes sense. V is actually a nazir, dedicated to YHVH from birth.

Nerdanel
2009-07-05, 02:44 PM
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer.

The description doesn't actually say that the gem MUST rest on the forehead of the wearer for the item to function. It also doesn't say that the small gem must be large enough to be visible in the OOTS art style.

Other than that, a "light cord" is exactly what we're seeing, so it actually fits rather well.

Kroy
2009-07-05, 02:54 PM
Can somebody show me where precisely it was stated that the original headband was a +4 intellect thing? I can't seem to find it in the archives. I have SoD, but not OotPCs.

Here:

:vaarsuvius:Vaarsuvius
Int 23, 19 unmodified (based on spells cast and limits thereof (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html))
Items: Headband of Intellect +4 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0627.html) (based on Intelligence calculations),

Help?

roy_greenhilt
2009-07-05, 03:01 PM
Does anybody else realize that V now has the same hairstyle as their spouse?

Studoku
2009-07-05, 04:52 PM
People in the class and level geekery thread calculated that, from V's spells per day, she had 22 intelligence. Since he described herself as 'a delectible 18 intelligence mage, this is the most logical way for him to have 22 intelligence.

rewinn
2009-07-06, 11:01 AM
I'll say... the origin of the hair tie is ambiguous.

Why would anything about V be ambiguous? :smallbiggrin:

It's cute, really, whether it's just a random change in style to help denote the passage of time, or a little bit of character development.

Either way, it would be slightly humourous if V's spouse meanwhile changed hair styles to match V's old, free-flowing locks. Although that might be a bad idea for a baker.

pflare
2009-07-06, 11:58 AM
The hair tie looks like it's just hir headband from before. I always assumed it was made of gold or some other metal but maybe its made of something more pliable. Like a magical rope or something...more creative than what I can think of.

Jaltum
2009-07-06, 12:04 PM
If it IS a Headband of Int, magical items resize to fit different users. It would be a pretty reasonable extension of that to be able to use it in various ways (headband, hairtie) as long as it still uses the right slot.

Looking at the comic, it COULD be a rigid tiara-type thing that shrinks around V's ponytail; it would explain why it forms a large circle initially.

Carnivorous M.
2009-07-06, 12:41 PM
I just assumed Rich had decided it was time V got an art upgrade like everyone else... well, except for Durkon. Durkon is definitely way overdue for some more character development and a spiffy new design.

Tombo
2009-07-06, 06:18 PM
Hi, long time lurker, first time posting. It could just be my imagination, but doesn't that head band look a lot like the chain/cord that was attached to Xykon's phylactery?

Just a thought, but what if that wasn't Xykon's phylactery that went on an extended tour of the Azure City sewer system and V still has it.

Spiky
2009-07-06, 06:40 PM

I'd say V is remembering what is truly important. He has gone back to the hairstyle he probably once used, or is thinking about his SO and has (possibly even unconsciously) tied his hair in the same manner. Either way, that relates to his relenting on the search for power. Which is obvious by his dialog, I think the hair ornament is just a pictorial by the Giant.

drazen
2009-07-06, 06:59 PM
I was looking through the archives, and V has hir headband on right up to the point of touching the fiends' orb. In the next comic, it's just gone.

I looked through the arc and never saw Xykon or the dragon take it. So either that's V's headband, or it got trapped in the corpse of an ancient black dragon when V performed hir shapechange?

Bibliomancer
2009-07-06, 07:09 PM
It appears to be a yellow line of length similar to V's old headband. It did not re-size itself. If you look carefully at panel 5, it is coiled around itself a few times like a normal hairband. Personally, I think that it is the headband of intellect (if that it what it was), because I can't picture V also wearing a headband with her current hairstyle and I doubt that V would give up the bonus spell slots that she received from the headband.

Kish
2009-07-06, 07:13 PM
Hi, long time lurker, first time posting. It could just be my imagination, but doesn't that head band look a lot like the chain/cord that was attached to Xykon's phylactery?

Just a thought, but what if that wasn't Xykon's phylactery that went on an extended tour of the Azure City sewer system and V still has it.
My question would be: Why is Vaarsuvius tying his/her hair with it instead of looking for a way to destroy it as expediently as possible?

Bibliomancer
2009-07-06, 07:31 PM
My question would be: Why is Vaarsuvius tying his/her hair with it instead of looking for a way to destroy it as expediently as possible?

Perhaps keeping her hair long is a reminder of her debt to the fiends, while at the same time providing narrative distance from previous events (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html) and metaphorically representing that V has 'let her hair down' on the concept of her superiority and is going to be more humble from now on. I also think that this is foreshadowing the eventual big reveal that V is female.

Also, V's hair is MitD, the Snarl, and O'chul.

Spiky
2009-07-06, 07:51 PM
Not. Even O-Chul's hair can't stay with O-Chul.

rewinn
2009-07-07, 12:41 PM
Also, V's hair is MitD, the Snarl, and O'chul.

I once had hair V's length.

And it was DEFINITELY a Snarl. :smallamused:

Optimystik
2009-07-07, 01:00 PM
Phylactery chain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0660.html) is still intact, so it's not that.

Azura
2009-07-07, 03:41 PM
I once had hair V's length.

And it was DEFINITELY a Snarl. :smallamused:

I currently have hair V's length...and I just got a haircut to get it down to this length :smalltongue:

It is definitely a primal embodiment of chaos.