PDA

View Full Version : Kev's Lounge Free D&D Equipment Counters

BraveSirKevin
2009-07-04, 02:52 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dUvnPNxt2_U/Sk8Ce1uuwuI/AAAAAAAAAKE/trzn4sDDKAI/s400/Sizes+copy.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dUvnPNxt2_U/Sk8CedVyLSI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/zg6qs9ZX0BI/s400/Potions+copy.png

Kev's Lounge Free Ammunition and Potion Counters (http://kevslounge.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-ammunition-and-potion-counters-for.html)

Continuing on my mission to create quality, free accessories for RPGs and other table top games, I've taken a slight detour from the dungeon tiles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116974) to make these counters. They're designed to make it very easy to keep track of what's left in your arsenal so that you can focus on fighting instead of looking for a pencil to cross things off your character sheet. If these get a good response, I'll do some more for other consumable equipment like rations, and some for Action Points, Healing Surges and so on.

Let me know what you think!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-04, 03:26 PM
Reminds me of the things you use in Descent.

shadzar
2009-07-04, 05:33 PM

I was just looking at the Hirst Arts Descent board last night....

I want to know one thing there Kev.....

How much ink do these things take to print? I have seen your other counter out there and probably how I ended up on Hirst last night, but how much do your counters and tiles actually take out of a medium quality ink cartridge?

They look better than some other companies, but are they cost effective to print on cardstock and laminate?

Or might you at some point get them pro-printed (or POD like at Lulu) for people to buy?

And do you take counter requests? (40k could probably use some counters for wounds and such, just don't label them with Warhammer(tm) on them. :smallwink: )

BraveSirKevin
2009-07-04, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the compliments....

Don't know if I should be embarrassed bout this, but I had to Google Descent cos I didn't know what it was :smallredface: Looks kinda cool though... just for the components if nothing else. Like the Doom board game. I'd probably never play it, but all that plastic makes me want it :smallsmile:
Anyone played it? Can you tell me if it's any good?

How much ink do these things take to print? I have seen your other counter out there and probably how I ended up on Hirst last night, but how much do your counters and tiles actually take out of a medium quality ink cartridge?

A few people have asked that question... and I don't really have a good answer cos I never really measured. What I can say is that I've printed out all the sets a good few times already, sometimes in medium quality, and sometimes max DPI on photopaper. Some I do for actual use, but a lot of those were just test runs while designing to see if it looked good on paper. I run a business doing graphic design and illustration, so that's just a small portion of the many full colour high quality prints I run. That's a minimum of 100 A4 pages with pretty high colour coverage, and that's all from the ink jet cartridges that I put in a couple months ago, and they aren't empty yet. :smallsmile: Laser printers would probably handle a lot more.

They look better than some other companies, but are they cost effective to print on cardstock and laminate?

That depends on what you consider to be cost effective, and also what you do with them. The most expensive part on my side was the foam core, cos I used black which is twice the price of the white one down here. I didn't laminate them though. Kinda trusting my buddies not to spill Coke all over them mid-game :smallbiggrin: Thanks for the compliment though

Or might you at some point get them pro-printed (or POD like at Lulu) for people to buy?

I've been giving that some serious thought actually... :) I'd have to print a big run if I went Litho though. Minimum 1000 copies, to get the unit price down. Even with a 100% markup I'd have to sell 500 just to break even. At the moment less than 200 sets have been downloaded, so I'm waiting to see if there's more interest before I make that sort of commitment. If I did do a run though, it would be new artwork, with improvements on what had gone before though, just so that people who have already got the tiles still get good value for their money.

Print on demand works out very costly on a unit price level, just because the printers would add a huge mark up. Cheaper to print it yourself at home. Besides, I didn't do all that work just to make the print shop a profit :smallconfused:

And do you take counter requests? (40k could probably use some counters for wounds and such, just don't label them with Warhammer(tm) on them. :smallwink: )

Yes, I do. But i have to slot it into my bigger schedule which is kinda packed right now. I also will only work on something that I think a lot of people would be interested in, or that I'd definitely have some use for. I've got some Mordheim counters going right now, that I'm doing for my own Mordheim group for example. What are you looking for specifically? :smallsmile:

woodenbandman
2009-07-04, 08:52 PM
Downloaded and used.

BraveSirKevin
2009-07-05, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the support Woodenbandman. :smallsmile: For all those out there who have downloaded and used these... How are they working out?

shadzar
2009-07-05, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the support Woodenbandman. :smallsmile: For all those out there who have downloaded and used these... How are they working out?

:smallfrown: With no printer currently (lightning), I am not yet using them yet, but have your entire collection of tiles.

They look good so they will work for many various things. :smallwink:

(Who throws a hammer anyway? You are right most people would have it on a leash to pull it back to them. They do still sell rope in RPGs right?)

Panda-s1
2009-07-06, 01:11 AM
Don't know if I should be embarrassed bout this, but I had to Google Descent cos I didn't know what it was :smallredface: Looks kinda cool though... just for the components if nothing else. Like the Doom board game. I'd probably never play it, but all that plastic makes me want it :smallsmile:
Anyone played it? Can you tell me if it's any good?

It's basically the spiritual successor of HeroQuest. It's fun, but it's just killing monsters. IIRC it uses the same system as the Doom board game (I forget which came out first).

TheThan
2009-07-06, 01:35 AM

yeah! that game is really awesome.

I found the map tiles make good dungeon tiles, and the minis make good PC and monster minis.

BraveSirKevin
2009-07-06, 04:51 PM
:smallfrown: With no printer currently (lightning), I am not yet using them yet, but have your entire collection of tiles.

They look good so they will work for many various things. :smallwink:

(Who throws a hammer anyway? You are right most people would have it on a leash to pull it back to them. They do still sell rope in RPGs right?)

Sucks about your printer... I find myself buying a new printer every other year or so. Just cos they're far cheaper to replace than to repair. :) at least down here anyway.

Right now I'm using the tiles for Mordheim, just as an alternative setting to the ruined city, just to shake things up. :smallcool: It really changes that game completely!

It's basically the spiritual successor of HeroQuest. It's fun, but it's just killing monsters. IIRC it uses the same system as the Doom board game (I forget which came out first).

yeah! that game is really awesome.

I found the map tiles make good dungeon tiles, and the minis make good PC and monster minis.

There's a game convention in town this weekend... If they have it I may buy. :smallamused: Sgt Slaughter fan there TheThan?