PDA

View Full Version : Its a bird, its a plane, it's GenCon2009!!!

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-04, 09:35 PM
So here we stand once again my fellow playgrounders, a month and a half away from gencon. I take it some of you have already made plans to go yes?

Myself, I'm trying to decide on how long im going to volunteer. My options are 16-hour, 32-hour, and 40-hour each has progressively better perks.

Official Member List
People that are going.
PirateJesus
Lord Tataraus
Nobodylovesyou44
Ahzreal
Ranis

People That Might go
Mando Knight

The Extinguisher
2009-07-04, 09:45 PM
I might be able to go this year.

Can someone summarize just what I need to do to be able to get in?

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-04, 09:47 PM
What do you need to do? Fork up the money for the ticket and get to Indianapolis, IN august 13-16.

Edit: You also need to be wearing clothes.

Mando Knight
2009-07-04, 10:05 PM
*Shakes fist*
Dang it. I'm one state to the west and a couple hundred bucks short. :smallannoyed:

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-04, 10:11 PM
*Shakes fist*
Dang it. I'm one state to the west and a couple hundred bucks short. :smallannoyed:

You could always do some volunteer work and have gencon pay for your ticket (and maybe some of your hotel if you volunteer enough)

Thats what I'm doing anyway. if you do 32 hours of work, they'll reimbuse you for your ticket and 25% of your hotel stay (or $50 per night, whichever is cheaper)

Ranis
2009-07-04, 10:52 PM
Count me in, for sure. Piratejesus, make a list. :)

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-04, 11:00 PM
You got it, put it in the first post.

Jesse Drake
2009-07-04, 11:05 PM
*Shakes fist*

I'm an 45 minutes south and a couple hundred bucks short. It's quite a taunt really. It's such a big deal over here it's not even funny.:annoyed:

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-04, 11:12 PM
Define "a couple hundred bucks" becuase even if you only volunteer for 16 hours, it will still voer your 4-day pass.

raitalin
2009-07-04, 11:12 PM
I'm an 45 minutes south and a couple hundred bucks short. It's quite a taunt really. It's such a big deal over here it's not even funny.:annoyed:

Yeah, I live in Indy and I still can't afford to go. Guess I could volunteer, but then I'd have little time for gaming and still no money to buy stuff with, so what's the point?

Jesse Drake
2009-07-04, 11:21 PM
You nailed it raitalin.

The Extinguisher
2009-07-05, 12:19 AM
Ah yes money.
I forgot about that thing.

I live one country to the north. I guess I'm not going. :sadface:

billtodamax
2009-07-05, 12:28 AM
Hmm. I live... uh... how long does it take to fly to america from Australia? How much volunteer work am I gonna have to do to get them to pay for my plane ticket, hotel room, and ticket in?

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-05, 12:40 AM
I might show up on Saturday, but I won't be going to the entire con like I usually do. My vacation this year is the Pennsic War, and while I love my GenCon, I can't justify taking two multi-day trips in one month.

BizzaroStormy
2009-07-05, 12:43 AM
I might show up on Saturday, but I won't be going to the entire con like I usually do. My vacation this year is the Pennsic War, and while I love my GenCon, I can't justify taking two multi-day trips in one month.

Yeah, I was kinda interested in going to Pennsic but I only recently metthe folks in my nearby SCA group so I thought it best to put it off until next year when I have more time to prepare.

As for you billtodamax, they'd probably pay for that stuff if you were a senior volunteer but that would require 3 years of prior volunteer work lol.

Ichneumon
2009-07-05, 01:21 AM
I would go if it was on my continent and if I had the money. Seriously, it seems like fun.

Cryssandra
2009-07-05, 01:28 AM
I might go...
I've put alot of thought into it...
I probably will

Indurain
2009-07-05, 01:38 AM
I will be there. Guarenteed.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-05, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I was kinda interested in going to Pennsic but I only recently metthe folks in my nearby SCA group so I thought it best to put it off until next year when I have more time to prepare.
That's one way to look at it. I know a guy for whom Pennsic was his first event, though. His friends told him that they were going camping for a week, and said they'd explain the rest to him along the way. He had no idea until he hit the site. :smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2009-07-05, 05:35 AM
Fly well over 5000 miles to get to a strange country with weak coffee and people that speak a bit fast and who have trouble understanding my unusual accent?

Count me in! :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-05, 06:18 AM
Say hello from Vleuten to the Game Master.

Maybe one of you remembers last year with the encounter with the Giants.

Or maybe not.

He'l be wearing a red shirt saying Game Master, and DM'ing.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2009-07-05, 09:36 AM
I will of course be attending, and since the Con is a week earlier this year than usual, Madame Zelia will finally have a chance to experience more than her usual drive-by.

Thes will also be attending. At least she'd better be.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-05, 09:49 AM
*gasp*

It's a El J!

*duc-tapes to playground*

Mr. Mud
2009-07-05, 11:29 AM
Add me to the might go, please. Depends on if I'm going to Cali with my girlfriend... :smalleek:.

Vaynor
2009-07-05, 12:09 PM
*grumblegrumble*

I wish I could go. I used to go to the SoCal GenCon. But they canceled that one.

*grumblegrumble*

Keld Denar
2009-07-05, 12:29 PM
GenCon isn't the same anymore without Living Greyhawk, I'm afraid. Living Realms is...less good...

Neko Toast
2009-07-05, 12:34 PM
Sadly, I won't be there. Anime Iowa is the same weekend, and my friends and I really want to go to that.

Mando Knight
2009-07-05, 12:55 PM
You could always do some volunteer work and have gencon pay for your ticket (and maybe some of your hotel if you volunteer enough)

Seriously? *checks GenCon's website* Now to convince Those Who Have the Authority Over the Distribution Of the Family Vehicles to let me go to the Best Four Days in Gaming...

wxdruid
2009-07-05, 01:45 PM
I'm already working on the Aug schedule for work.

Count me in, and possibly catlover and my friend Heather.

tyckspoon
2009-07-05, 05:12 PM
I'll be there for one day, most likely. My work schedules are set up week-by-week, so I have no idea which day it will actually be.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-05, 05:42 PM
I am one (1) expensive Plane ticket, Several (many) hundred dolalrs short, and quite a few (more than I like) leave days shy of going to GenCon.

<Blue Streak>

The Valiant Turtle
2009-07-05, 06:04 PM
I may do a day or two, or just come up in the evening and hang out with playgrounders like I did last year.

Kyrian
2009-07-05, 06:33 PM
Well...Ranis was supposed to sign me up as well, as I told him at work yesterday that HELL YEA I'm going.

Just messing with you Ranis.

My only problem is I want to find someplace to stay and leave my car for the four days, so I'm not driving from Fishers each day.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-06, 12:36 AM
Sadly, Alarra and I will not be able to make it this year. We had plans and everything!

Play a game of Werewolf for us! We'll be sure to keep tabs on the forums for updates on all the festivities, so you guys need to make sure that you take copious notes for those of us who need to experience it vicariously this year.

Next year, though, next year... (just in time for Pudding Troll's 1st birthday!)
:smallcool:

Lex-Kat
2009-07-06, 12:38 AM
I'll be there. Already have a reserved room and preordered the tickets. :smallsmile:

WalkingTarget
2009-07-06, 08:24 AM
I'll be there from Wednesday afternoon/evening through Sunday. Much like last year my time will probably mostly be tied up with hanging out with college buddies I don't get to see much anymore, but if there's an official meet-up/meal for playgrounders I can try to arrange for it.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-06, 02:17 PM
I will be there even if I have to jump into a car still covered in formaldehyde stink to stumble into the Con center just in time for Friday night Shenanigans.

Hopefully for the sake of the Con, I get at least a chance to shower... otherwise... I'll add to the Con Funk in all kinds of wonderful ways.

Hopefully for the sake of me... I can schmooze my team mates and leave early Wednesday.

Translation: I begin Gross Anatomy and Histology the 2nd week of August, and I do not know when my labs and dissections are scheduled. Since I will be working with these lab partners for the next 2 years I do not wish to anger them in the first week. So depending on getting their cooperation, will depend on when I can leave to go to Gen Con. But the worst that can happen is that I don't show until Friday night.

Lupy
2009-07-06, 03:45 PM
Sigh... If only I was old enough to drive myself to these events.

2013 is gonna be the best year ever. :smallbiggrin:

PhoeKun
2009-07-06, 03:53 PM
I will be there. You might not notice me, because the crowd gets bigger every year and I am a wallflower, but I'll still be there all the same. So will SweetRein, as we're still pretty much joined at the hip and stuff.

So... yeah.

Tyrant
2009-07-06, 07:14 PM
I will be there. My friend and I have gone every year since it moved to Indy. It helps that we lived in southern Indiana and had a place to stay in Indy (Avon, anyway). He lives in Greenwood now, so housing isn't an issue for the con. Now we just have to convince his fiancee to come with us. She was a little put off after an odd encounter last year where she was looking at some people in costume and suddenly the woman (it was a man and a woman) apparently thought she was trying to steal her man and things got a little heated. I only wish I could have actually watched the episode unfold.

Not to derail the thread, but for everyone who is going (or anyone else who wants to go) what's your interest in the con? Anime, RPG, etc? Is there one "must do" event for you or some "must buy" item?

2009-07-06, 07:26 PM
Not to derail the thread, but for everyone who is going (or anyone else who wants to go) what's your interest in the con? Anime, RPG, etc? Is there one "must do" event for you or some "must buy" item?

I, the Mrs., Thes, Indy, and a long-ago board member known as pink_scroll will be doing the NASCRAG tournament with a sixth who as far as I know is not on the boards. (James? Are you out there?) Other than that the Mrs. and I don't have plans yet; we'll probably just meander through the schedule and see if there's anything interesting.

Ranis
2009-07-06, 10:47 PM
Well, since Zeb and Alarra can't make it, I guess I'll spearhead the meetup. Can I get a vote about whether or not Friday or Saturday would be better for everyone? Right now either is good for me.

Regardless of what day it will be on, it will be in the Serpentine lobby, second floor. Last year they had Paint-A-Mini there, and the year before it Kentucky Fried Gamers, so I really don't know what will be there this time, but that's been the place both years so I think it will be a good place to go once more.

Kyrian, if worse comes to worse you can probably just leave your car parked at my place and ride with me all 4 days, spending the night as will be. I live about 15 minutes from downtown Indy and will be parking at IUPUI because my parking pass will be valid by then, and it's only a 3-block walk to get to the convention center. Convenient? Yes.

And to all of those that can't come: Bad economy sucks, don't it?

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-06, 10:57 PM
If I go it will be on Saturday, so Saturday's better for me. I wouldn't count on it, though. I'll try, but no guarantees; I'll just have come back from war at the beginning of the week, and that kind of takes it out of you, y'know? :smallamused:

Lex-Kat
2009-07-06, 11:11 PM
How about Friday AND Saturday? I mean, we gotta eat, so why not meet both days?

SMEE
2009-07-07, 04:40 AM
Saturday would be preferable for me.

I won't be around the con too much in the first days. I'll have boyfriend around, so I'll likely spend those days dating, going to zoos, movies, museums, shopping at Victoria's secret and etc. :smalltongue:

wxdruid
2009-07-07, 08:43 AM
Either day would be good for me. I plan on arriving Wed night and leaving Sun morning. Although I plan on hunting down certain people earlier. :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2009-07-07, 09:09 AM
I was thinking about going, but events have conspired to prevent me. Have fun, kids.

Indurain
2009-07-07, 10:19 AM
I will be there. You might not notice me, because the crowd gets bigger every year and I am a wallflower, but I'll still be there all the same. So will SweetRein, as we're still pretty much joined at the hip and stuff.

So... yeah.

YAY!!!

That is all.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-07, 09:52 PM
I think something on Friday and Saturday would be good. Because then people who are busy have two chances to make it.

Since the meetup always seems to be scheduled in conflict with something else.

However, I always seem to be able to see many of the wonderful people at spontaneous gatherings.

I am looking forward to seeing all the wonderful people I have met in the past, and meeting all the new people as well.

And Rein & Phoe, if you don't dress as cute as you did last year, there will be spankings for both of you.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-07, 11:44 PM
Since the meetup always seems to be scheduled in conflict with something else.This is because there is always something else going on. :smallbiggrin:

AngelSword
2009-07-08, 12:17 AM
I just booked my ticket the other night, so I'll be all set to go. In a strange bit of irony, I feel lucky that all of the travel and lodging costs have already been paid (an odd, "Thank you, Expedia").

Sadly, I'll be alone this year. My ladyfriend just couldn't come up with the funds.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-08, 12:19 AM
This is because there is always something else going on. :smallbiggrin:

You crystallized the exact thought I was trying to convey. :smallwink:

Which is why more meetups == good, because there will always people who can't make it.

I am likely one of those. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-08, 12:32 AM
Last year we tried to do one every night with a Friday night (I think) engagement specifically set aside as the photo op night. That worked out well, I thought.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I have many of your cell numbers. Expect at least a few texts from the MD area during that weekend. :smalltongue:

2009-07-08, 05:44 AM
Not that the world revolves around us, but just in case it actually does: the aforementioned NASCRAG team will be in play pretty much from 1:00 to 11:00 on Saturday followed immediately by the awards ceremony, which usually goes until about 1:00. Yes, we do have a dinner break in there, but I'm going to take a wild guess that we're supposed to be, you know...eating dinner...in that break.

Kyrian
2009-07-08, 10:24 PM
Kyrian, if worse comes to worse you can probably just leave your car parked at my place and ride with me all 4 days, spending the night as will be. I live about 15 minutes from downtown Indy and will be parking at IUPUI because my parking pass will be valid by then, and it's only a 3-block walk to get to the convention center. Convenient? Yes.

And to all of those that can't come: Bad economy sucks, don't it?

Sweet! That would be awesomesause!

Jacklu
2009-07-10, 11:15 PM
Jacklu had high hopes of making it to gencon this year. Sadly, I have come up short on muns unless I find a place to stay for free close enough that I wouldn't have to rent a car or rely too heavily on public transportation (has considered empty cardboard boxes under overpasses, but even those have been booked solid the entire weekend). But alas, until I has a few extra hundred dollars (not going to happen with my current job and college payments) I will have to be content with looking at pics from people who went and pretending I was there, hyperventilating from the large crowds. =/

Lex-Kat
2009-07-10, 11:24 PM
If needing a place is all that is keeping you from GenCon, you can stay at my hotel.

Mando Knight
2009-07-10, 11:33 PM
If needing a place is all that is keeping you from GenCon, you can stay at my hotel.

Is this an actual hotel, or just your house? Kinda makes a difference, depending on how many say they need a place...

Lex-Kat
2009-07-10, 11:47 PM
Actual hotel, sorry. :smallfrown:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-11, 09:12 AM
I should be there. I'm not sure how many days I'll be there. I'll be bringing my best bud since grade school. He's never been to a real convention before, so this should be a fun experience for everyone.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-11, 11:52 PM
I should be there. I'm not sure how many days I'll be there. I'll be bringing my best bud since grade school. He's never been to a real convention before, so this should be a fun experience for everyone.

Yay! And the crowd rejoices!

Lykan
2009-07-12, 02:36 AM
I'll be going.

I'm not allowed to light things on fire, though. So I'll be mostly invisible.

SMEE
2009-07-12, 04:51 AM
I'll be going.

Yes, you definitely aren't allowed to light things on fire! :smallmad:
I promised your mom I'd take good care of you, so you better behave!!! Or crazy auntie will get crazy!!! :smalltongue:

And yay! I'll get to meet Llama!!! :smallbiggrin:

Kyrian
2009-07-12, 07:17 AM
I'll be going.

Not allowed to...?!

Are you kidding? I'll be lighting as much as I can on fire.*

And getting drunk.**

*Probably not though, as I don't want to get kicked out....the first day at lease. ;P

**What? I'm a lightweight and got drunk last year...ask Indy.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-13, 09:33 PM
My old roomie is going in for shoulder surgery this thursday. He says that if he dies on the table, I'm to use the money that I owe him on a "morbid but awesome celebration" in his honor at Gen-Con. Please note that Lord_Xerxes' surgery isn't dangerous, but I think he liked the idea of us playing Gloom and Zombies!!! in his memory.

PhoeKun
2009-07-13, 09:39 PM
And Rein & Phoe, if you don't dress as cute as you did last year, there will be spankings for both of you.

Um... eep?

We'll do our best. Any excuse to dress up is a good one!

Ranis
2009-07-14, 09:56 AM
Right, so let's plan on meeting on the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby for dinner at 5PM on Friday and Saturday. We can just hang to the mall afterward, and take pictures, uh, somewhere at the convention on Saturday's meetup. Most everyone should remember what I look like, and pending that they should remember Indy.

Anyone here play RPGA? In addition to the scheduled games they're doing open gaming from 7PM to 7AM each day of the convention, and I want to do at least one night of that at some point. I play low tier levels 1-4 right now and I'll have an avenger to about level 2 by the time GenCon sneaks up on us.

Also, anyone interested in the D&D open or doing some Dungeon Delves at some point?

wxdruid
2009-07-14, 08:52 PM
Yes, I'm interested in playing D&D. I got my 4-day GenCon pass in the mail today, so I'm all ready to go...just have to wait for Aug *sigh* It just takes so long to get here.

AmberVael
2009-07-14, 09:46 PM
Oops. Missed this thread. Guess I can be forgiven since I don't look too closely at Friendly Banter.

I'm showing up. Yay me.

I am unsure what exactly I'll do at GenCon, but I'll be there nonetheless.

wxdruid
2009-07-14, 09:49 PM
Hopefully hanging out with me? :smalltongue:

Zherog
2009-07-15, 01:49 PM
If anybody particularly cares, I'll be there again this year. :) I don't even know how many people around here recognize my name any more...

Well, since Zeb and Alarra can't make it, I guess I'll spearhead the meetup. Can I get a vote about whether or not Friday or Saturday would be better for everyone? Right now either is good for me.

I haven't even looked at the schedule yet. I know I have firm plans Wednesday and Thursday evening, and "squishy" plans Saturday evening. (squishy, as in "show up when you can").

AmberVael
2009-07-15, 03:58 PM
Hopefully hanging out with me? :smalltongue:

Of course. ^-^

If anybody particularly cares, I'll be there again this year. :) I don't even know how many people around here recognize my name any more...

I don't recognize your name, but I do recognize your distinctive avatar. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2009-07-15, 04:09 PM
And my wife tries to tell me there's no benefits to drinking beer! Pfft. shows what she knows! :smallbiggrin:

Krade
2009-07-15, 04:43 PM
Well... I guess I can come, living here in Indy and all. So you probably could put me on the list of confirmed attendees.

We'll see if the current trend continues where I spend less money and have more fun than the previous year. It will be unlikely because last year I had more fun than I ever had before and spent a net $150. I doubt that will be possible.

Oh yes, I may have managed to obtain a lady-fan since I returned from the Trogland Meet-up. She really wants to go with a group dressed as Lemmings. I am, as yet, unsure if I will actually be in this group.

Alarra
2009-07-15, 05:41 PM
If anybody particularly cares, I'll be there again this year. :) I don't even know how many people around here recognize my name any more....

I recognize your name! Granted, I'm not going to be there, but still. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2009-07-15, 06:01 PM
I'm not going to be there

And that makes me a sad panda. But somehow, I struggle on. :smallwink:

Thes Hunter
2009-07-15, 11:16 PM
I think the lemming idea sounds awesome, Krade. :smallsmile:

soozenw
2009-07-16, 08:24 AM
I'll be there, but I will have my 2 year old with me, so the hanging out is probably a no go. But I will be at a bunch of the writing seminars. :smallsmile:

Alarra
2009-07-16, 08:30 AM
Why would having a two year old with you mean you can't hang out? We're a very kid friendly peoples, you know.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 08:31 AM

I haven't even looked at the schedule yet. I know I have firm plans Wednesday and Thursday evening, and "squishy" plans Saturday evening. (squishy, as in "show up when you can").
I remember you, mostly your name and your avatar though.
Even though I won't be there. v.v
ps. Do you remember me?

JediSoth
2009-07-16, 08:49 AM
I can't not be there. I mean, I live 15 minutes away. Plus, I'm working at the ENnies booth and at the ceremony.

I'm also running three off-grid games (Star Wars d6, D&D 4E, and Paranoia 2nd Ed.). It should be a great con!

Zherog
2009-07-16, 09:09 AM
I'll be there, but I will have my 2 year old with me, so the hanging out is probably a no go. But I will be at a bunch of the writing seminars. :smallsmile:

That's likely my agenda as well.

As for your 2 year old... I don't think he/she will affect your ability to do much during the day, especially since kids that young are capable of catching a nap anywhere. It might affect any evening hopes you have of hanging out, though.

I remember you, mostly your name and your avatar though.
Even though I won't be there. v.v
ps. Do you remember me?

I do, despite your name change. If I recall, "DD" is Dallas Dakota?

I can't not be there. I mean, I live 15 minutes away. Plus, I'm working at the ENnies booth and at the ceremony.

I'm sort of nominated for an ENnie! I wrote a few articles for Kobold Quarterly, and the magazine is nominated for best writing. So that means I'm sort of nominated, right? :smallbiggrin:

soozenw
2009-07-16, 09:25 AM
Why would having a two year old with you mean you can't hang out? We're a very kid friendly peoples, you know.

Well, any evening hanging out is out for us, that's all. He's on a pretty strict bedtime routine, which if we don't stick to it, ends badly for us all. :smallredface: I never thought that everyone would want to hang out with a 2 year old, even though he is awesome. Reading the official Gencon forums shows a definite lack of child-friendliness.

That's likely my agenda as well.

As for your 2 year old... I don't think he/she will affect your ability to do much during the day, especially since kids that young are capable of catching a nap anywhere. It might affect any evening hopes you have of hanging out, though.

Oh I wish he could sleep anywhere. He's weirdly picky about where he sleeps. He won't even sleep in the car anymore. *sob*

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-16, 09:34 AM
I do, despite your name change. If I recall, "DD" is Dallas Dakota?

Indeed, even though I'l be changing back.

Zherog
2009-07-16, 09:41 AM
Well, any evening hanging out is out for us, that's all. He's on a pretty strict bedtime routine, which if we don't stick to it, ends badly for us all. :smallredface:

You didn't ask for advice, but I'm gonna give some anyway. You're doing the absolute right thing, in my opinion. A strict bedtime routine can be a pain sometimes when they're this young. You're probably already seeing some of the pay-off from it now, since a strict bedtime routine often leads to better sleeping habits. It'll really pay off in a couple of years - he'll start the routine on his own.

My son (he's 7 1/2 now) refuses to stay up late, even when we let him. For example, during the World Series last year, we offered to let both kids stay up to watch the last game. At 9pm, Danny was off to bed, even though the game wasn't near over yet.

I never thought that everyone would want to hang out with a 2 year old, even though he is awesome. Reading the official Gencon forums shows a definite lack of child-friendliness.

I don't read the GenCon forums, so I don't know what's said there. But in my opinion, the Con is, overall, a kid-friendly place. It's probably more friendly to slightly older kids; we could probably start taking ours (7 1/2 and 8 1/2), but they still prefer spending a week with their grandparents. (YAY!)

At 2, there isn't much for your son to do, that's true. But I've gone every year GenCon has been in Indy (since 2003, I guess it would be?) and I've seen kids of all ages, including newborns.

Oh I wish he could sleep anywhere. He's weirdly picky about where he sleeps. He won't even sleep in the car anymore. *sob*

This is an unfortunate "side effect" of his strict bedtime routine. You can try to encourage napping out of his environment by replicating as much of his routine as possible. Even then, if I were choosing I'd trade napping anywhere for a great bedtime routine. So while not napping in his car or stroller or whatever can be a nuisance sometimes, you're very lucky to have him on a solid routine, and you're really helping him develop good sleeping habits for the future.

JediSoth
2009-07-16, 12:16 PM
<SNIP>
I'm sort of nominated for an ENnie! I wrote a few articles for Kobold Quarterly, and the magazine is nominated for best writing. So that means I'm sort of nominated, right? :smallbiggrin:

Well, sure, if one of your articles was in the issues Wolfgang sent us to evaluate.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure which issues he sent us. Since I'm not a judge, I didn't look over EVERYTHING I received; I just boxed most of it up when I got it in preparation for Gen Con. I believe the issues he submitted will be on display at the ENnies booth, though.

Zherog
2009-07-16, 12:18 PM
I also did a lot of work on his website (starting his "Monday Monsters" series), and that's nominated as well. :smallwink:

soozenw
2009-07-17, 06:58 AM
You didn't ask for advice, but I'm gonna give some anyway. You're doing the absolute right thing, in my opinion....It'll really pay off in a couple of years - he'll start the routine on his own.

I don't read the GenCon forums, so I don't know what's said there. But in my opinion, the Con is, overall, a kid-friendly place. It's probably more friendly to slightly older kids; we could probably start taking ours (7 1/2 and 8 1/2), but they still prefer spending a week with their grandparents. (YAY!)

This is an unfortunate "side effect" of his strict bedtime routine. You can try to encourage napping out of his environment by replicating as much of his routine as possible. Even then, if I were choosing I'd trade napping anywhere for a great bedtime routine. So while not napping in his car or stroller or whatever can be a nuisance sometimes, you're very lucky to have him on a solid routine, and you're really helping him develop good sleeping habits for the future.

Thank you! We've had him on his bedtime routine since he was a few months old. It makes it harder for us to hang out in the evenings, but I think it is worth the peace at night. No fighting him to go to bed!

We took him last year, and while no one ever said anything to us, and we did see plenty of other kids around, a lot of people aren't very courteous to people with children. I saw a small boy who was walking in the hallway next to his mother (probably 2-3), get knocked down by someone who didn't even stop to apologize. We took our son to get his "badge" Wednesday night, and someone running through the crowd tripped over his stroller and almost tipped him over. :smallfurious: No apology there either. But for the most part, we haven't had too much trouble.

He really just likes to watch the people. He loves to people watch. So the dealer's hall and hallways are like Nirvana to him.

And I'm okay with him not napping while we are out, it just means we have to hang out in the room, which I'm cool with. We have an awesome room this year.

Zherog
2009-07-17, 07:35 AM
Thank you! We've had him on his bedtime routine since he was a few months old. It makes it harder for us to hang out in the evenings, but I think it is worth the peace at night. No fighting him to go to bed!

And as I said, it'll get even better once he's a bit older and can start doing the routine himself.

We took him last year, and while no one ever said anything to us, and we did see plenty of other kids around, a lot of people aren't very courteous to people with children. I saw a small boy who was walking in the hallway next to his mother (probably 2-3), get knocked down by someone who didn't even stop to apologize. We took our son to get his "badge" Wednesday night, and someone running through the crowd tripped over his stroller and almost tipped him over. :smallfurious: No apology there either. But for the most part, we haven't had too much trouble.

Well, there's a lot of jerks everywhere. I don't know if GenCon has a higher concentration of them or not.

Anyway... YAY! Less than a month!

soozenw
2009-07-17, 08:41 AM
Well, there's a lot of jerks everywhere. I don't know if GenCon has a higher concentration of them or not.

Anyway... YAY! Less than a month!

I don't think there is a higher concentration, just more oblivious people. lol

I'm so excited! This is our one big vacation every year and we are ready for it!

Lex-Kat
2009-07-17, 11:22 AM
A few years back, I went with my friend, let's call him.... Phil.

His arm was in a sling, and we soon noticed that people would bump into his bad arm, almost constantly. I ended up walking in front of his bad side so people coming toward us would either bump into me, or his good side.

Alot of them are lucky I'm not a violent person, or they would have found themselves on the floor. :smallsmile:

EvilJames
2009-07-18, 02:21 PM
I will be there once again this year. Hopefully this time I won't forget until it's too late to go to the meetup like I have in past years. Also this will be my 9th consecutive Gencon and my 3rd Gencon in which I have a hotel to sleep in.

Raewyn
2009-07-18, 02:29 PM
It's looking very bad for me (and the BF) all of a sudden. Doesn't look like we'll be able to afford accommodations. :smallfrown:

At least I won't be disappointing anyone with my absence. *lesigh*

wxdruid
2009-07-18, 08:21 PM
Coming

PirateJesus
Lord Tataraus
Nobodylovesyou44
Ahzreal
Ranis
Renegade Paladin
Indurain
wxdruid
catlover
Cryssandra
SMEE
Madame Zelia
tyckspoon
The Valiant Turtle
Kyrian
Lex-kat
WalkingTarget
Thes Hunter
PhoeKun
SweetRein
Tyrant
AngelSword
Jacklu
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Lykan
Vael
Zherog
Krade
soozenw
JediSoth
EvilJames

Maybe

Mando Knight
Mr. Mud

Did I miss anyone? I'm so looking forwards to Aug...

soozenw
2009-07-19, 02:06 PM
A few years back, I went with my friend, let's call him.... Phil.

His arm was in a sling, and we soon noticed that people would bump into his bad arm, almost constantly. I ended up walking in front of his bad side so people coming toward us would either bump into me, or his good side.

Alot of them are lucky I'm not a violent person, or they would have found themselves on the floor. :smallsmile:

Isn't that the way it always goes? If you have an injury, someone always managed to bump it, step on it, hit it, etc.

Geburrah
2009-07-22, 11:28 PM
kinda curious, me and my crew will be attending.

Mando Knight
2009-07-22, 11:38 PM
See existing thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117277)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-27, 09:04 PM
oooh, a thread that links to itself. Fascinating.

I'll be there and I'll be bringing my friend, Tim! He actually has some slight history with the Playground as Mortia De Luna Draco once invented a game called "Say Hi To Tim" where people were supposed to say hello to Tim.

I'll be bringing a couple of goofy hats.

Zherog
2009-07-28, 10:51 AM
That's because it was originally two threads. :)

Anybody planning a get-together?

wxdruid
2009-07-28, 11:09 AM
It seems there will be a get together on Friday and Saturday, unsure of the time though.

Zherog
2009-07-28, 11:31 AM
Sounds spiffy. I have stuff going on both evenings. Friday night, I'm representing 0one Games at the ENnies! Here's hoping they win Best Cartography so I get a chance to accept for them! (psst, you can go vote and help me out (http://www.ennie-awards.com/voting/ballot.asp) :smallwink: ) Saturday, I've got gaming planned with a group of friends. But I'm sure something can be squeezed in somewhere.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-28, 11:49 AM
well if you have to get the VIG package there's no way I'm going.

if all I have to get is one of the badges I have a chance of getting enough money by then.

need clarification on which it is.

Zherog
2009-07-28, 11:52 AM
I can't think of any reason why you'd need the VIG package. (which is overpriced and overrated, imnsho) You should absolutely be able to purchase a regular badge at the Con.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-28, 12:40 PM
okay then. might be able to go this year definitely going next year.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-28, 12:41 PM
You can buy regular badges at the con, many try to go on Wednesday if they missed pre-reg because the lines after that can be long.

AngelSword
2009-07-28, 05:02 PM
You can buy regular badges at the con, many try to go on Wednesday if they missed pre-reg because the lines after that can be long.

No question. I remember last year, walking by the lines and seeing a few people playing Warcraft III while they waited. :smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-28, 11:30 PM
maybe if I do get to go then I'll get to see some of you guys face to face!:smallsmile:
if it is busy.(which I bet it will be.) what should I bring to keep myself entertained? would a book and MP3 player be sufficient? or should I leave my MP3 at home since somebody could steal it?

EDIT: is it super crowded on sunday? the only reason I'm asking is that the badges are 20$ less and I'd like to spend as little money as possible on the badge.

DOUBLE EDIT: what's so bad about the VIG package? it sounds pretty good albeit a little expensive.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-29, 12:38 AM
There's nothing wrong with the VIG, per se, it's just that it's value is debatable. I have never purchased one and I have always had a great time.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-29, 12:42 AM
on the bright side that's 500$ less I have to earn by then:smallbiggrin:

and only other question. is it really really crowded on sundays generally as compared to the other days?

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-29, 12:48 AM
That I can't answer. We drive 10 hours each way, so Sunday morning is sleep in, check out, drive home day.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-29, 12:51 AM
ah. daggommit. if traffic then would be too high I'll gladly pay an extra 20$ to avoid it.

AngelSword
2009-07-29, 08:13 AM
Sunday's a rather lazy day, really. But it's also likely the best day to do your shopping, as most booths run their, "Oh-My-God-Please-Don't-Make-Us-Bring-This-Crap-Home" sale. Since they take less of a loss to sell at a discount than to pay the cost of getting the stuff back from the Con, they'll cut deals they wouldn't dream of doing the day before.:smallamused:

Thes Hunter
2009-07-29, 08:37 AM
I am generally disappointed in Sunday gaming options. Since most of the tournaments are done, or finishing up their final rounds, there isn't as many gaming options. I find that the sidewalks pretty much start rolling up at noon.

So if you are coming for just 1 day, I wouldn't come on Sunday. But then again, I wouldn't come for only 1 day. :smallwink:

As for entertainment... I am assuming you like to game, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum considering going to Gen Con. If you like to game... there is ALWAYS something to do. I myself have a hard time doing everything I want!

Zherog
2009-07-29, 10:30 AM
I don't think you'll have any problems having an mp3 player on you while you stand in line to buy a ticket. It's crowded, but it's generally well-behaved.

I'll echo Thes and say that Sunday is very dead. People are rushing to get out to the airport, vendors are packing up, etc. You can definitely get some deals in the hall, though.

This time two weeks from now I'll be 5 1/2 - 6 hours into my ride, somewhere in Western PA most likely. Maybe Ohio.

soozenw
2009-07-29, 01:09 PM
Best day to go for people watching is definitely Saturday, but every day is fun like that. Don't know about the gaming--as I am not a gamer. But the deals in the hall are the best on Sunday. Dealers are more willing to haggle prices then. Some of the best writing seminars tend to be on Thursday and Friday.

Zherog
2009-07-29, 01:28 PM
That reminds me... I need to check the seminar schedule to see what's going on this year.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-29, 01:36 PM
okay thanks. sunday does not sound like my day. deals are always good but everybody packing up isn't.

Krade
2009-07-29, 11:51 PM
Wooooooooooooooooo!!!

Only 2 More Weeks!!!

I'm So Excited!!! Can You Tell I'm Excited?!?!

Edit: I just learned that the forums won't allow your whole post to be in CAPS. How strange...

wxdruid
2009-07-30, 10:01 AM
Yep, I'm anxiously waiting for GenCon to get here as well! :smallbiggrin:

Zherog
2009-07-30, 10:16 AM
I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away!

(did ya'll go vote for "me" in the ENnies? ;) )

Mystic Muse
2009-07-30, 01:28 PM
me and some of my cousins are going to try to volunteer next year and essentially get in for free.:smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2009-07-30, 04:44 PM
Who wants to stop by the Warhammer Online booth and pick Zeb and me up the postcards that gives us a code for a scorpion cloak? :smallsmile:

AngelSword
2009-07-30, 05:07 PM
Who wants to stop by the Warhammer Online booth and pick Zeb and me up the postcards that gives us a code for a scorpion cloak? :smallsmile:

If you remind me sometime that weekend, I'll be sure to do so.

soozenw
2009-07-30, 06:00 PM

I'm sure my husband will grab some. If he does, I'll steal a couple for you.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-30, 09:44 PM
wait I have to be sure. there's only the Indianapolis Gencon and that's what you guys are talking about right?

side note 1. we should all find some way to meet each other.

side note 2. what in the nine hells does Gencon stand for anyway?:smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-30, 11:24 PM
wait I have to be sure. there's only the Indianapolis Gencon and that's what you guys are talking about right?It's the only one in the US, yes.

side note 1. we should all find some way to meet each other.If you check the rest of the thread, I'm pretty sure two separate meeting up opportunities have been scheduled. One for Friday and one for Saturday. I could be mistaken.

side note 2. what in the nine hells does Gencon stand for anyway?:smalltongue:Geneva Convention. (Is joke! Get it?) No, but seriously, it was originally held in Geneva, Wisconsin and that's where the name came from.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-31, 12:07 AM
unfortunately I think I'm going down on Thursday.:smallfrown:

I'll try to go down on friday or saturday and meet up with you guys though.

so the serpentine lobby second floor sounds like the meeting place right now. hope you guys aren't too disappointed when I show up and don't actually look like my avatar.:smalltongue:

wish I knew WHAT in the nine hells the serpentine lobby was.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-31, 01:54 AM
wish I knew WHAT in the nine hells the serpentine lobby was.Here's a map (http://www.icclos.com/Assets/userfiles/PDFs/ICCLOS_Marketing_2nd_17x22_FINAL.pdf). The area you're looking for is in the top right corner of this map. 8-)

Zherog
2009-07-31, 09:18 AM
Is there a time for the meetups yet? I has bad memory skillz...

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-31, 09:27 AM
I'm going to try to make it up on Saturday. No guarantees, though.

wxdruid
2009-07-31, 11:15 AM
Hopefully you make it Renegade Paladin, I look forward to seeing you again. :smallsmile: Will you have more cookies?

Zherog
2009-07-31, 11:39 AM
Wait, cookies? I suddenly feel my schedule opening up a bit more, making my appearance all the more likely. ;)

Mystic Muse
2009-08-01, 03:57 AM
okeeday. sounds like my tagalong wants to go on Thursday so I probably won't be meeting any of you guys.:smallfrown:

see you next year.

EvilJames
2009-08-02, 01:04 PM
Yes we do need to establish a time for Friday and saturday. I'm pretty much free when ever except I will be going to the Gencon dance again this year (I know some of you don't think the dance is anything special, but I guarantee a good show of it this year:smallwink:)

Jacklu
2009-08-02, 10:38 PM
Eeeeeeee! I am going to gencon this year! X3 I got my plane tickets and everything! I can't wait!!!!

Mystic Muse
2009-08-03, 12:11 AM
actually I found out I have something on Thursday I can't miss so guess what?

I'LL BE GOING FRIDAY AND MIGHT GET TO MEET YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zherog
2009-08-05, 02:38 PM
Any news on a time yet?

wxdruid
2009-08-05, 03:21 PM
Shall we say 5pm or 6pm? Right before dinner? So after we meet up in the Serpentine lobby we can go find something to eat if we want?

Zherog
2009-08-05, 03:58 PM
That time works for me! Friday evening, I have the ENnie awards ceremony at 7pm. Saturday I'm a little freer, but do have plans at some point that evening to do some serious gaming late into the night with some friends.

Thes Hunter
2009-08-06, 12:31 AM
I got some really bad news this week. I have a lab until 5 pm on Friday. It takes me 5 hours to drive down there, meaning I won't be able to do any meet-ups on Friday. :(

I am still on the fence on if I am coming down Friday night to stay until Sunday. I will see how much material we cover next week. The first exam is only 3 weeks away! Eek!

BizzaroStormy
2009-08-06, 12:56 AM
I finally got my volunteer schedule done so unless it changes, you'll all get the chance to meet me on saturday working badge checks at the door.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-06, 01:03 AM
I'll make it Friday. see you guys Saturday next year hopefully.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-06, 11:29 AM
I got some really bad news this week. I have a lab until 5 pm on Friday. It takes me 5 hours to drive down there, meaning I won't be able to do any meet-ups on Friday. :(

I am still on the fence on if I am coming down Friday night to stay until Sunday. I will see how much material we cover next week. The first exam is only 3 weeks away! Eek!

Get down here or I'll send an army of robotic penguins to recite bad poetry to you while you try to study.

get your own army of robotic pengins that recite bad poetry available at www.stupidthingstodowithadvancedtechnology.con

Mystic Muse
2009-08-06, 02:11 PM
Get down here or I'll send an army of robotic penguins to recite bad poetry to you while you try to study.

get your own of robotic pengins that recite bad poetry available at www.stupidthingstodowithadvancedtechnology.con

eh. I already got cthulhu, Asmodeus, and Tiamat as my willing servants and Acerak as my pet. I think I've got all I need.

Ranis
2009-08-08, 07:58 AM
5PM is best for me, I have events on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday that all start at 7.

So, does anyone else have a problem with setting the meetup times for Friday and Saturday at 5PM on the second floor of the Serpentine Lobby, like always?

wxdruid
2009-08-08, 08:56 AM
Sounds good to me, 5pm each day. Meet as many people as possible. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2009-08-08, 09:28 AM
I can do that. The ENnies are at 7pm Friday, and my gaming doesn't start until later on Saturday. So I can make both evenings (though I'll have to leave Friday with enough time to go change for ENnies, since I have to look presentable given that I'm representing one of the companies nominated.)

Kyrian
2009-08-09, 06:38 PM
Alright, got it squared away that me and my gf will be staying with Ranis Weds, Thurs, and Sat? night. Anybody mind housing two bodies Friday night? Please? :smallbiggrin:

I'm not always active on here, with my finding limited net connections with my laptop, so if anyone that could possibly help could PM me, those I can check easier than this thread from my phone. Thanks to all!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-08-09, 08:54 PM
Seeing as I didn't go to Origins this year, I was hoping that I'd have a decent chance to go to GenCon since I only live about an hour and a half-two hours from Indy now. But the team is in town next weekend ( I work for a minor league baseball team), so no dice.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-09, 09:11 PM
Seeing as I didn't go to Origins this year, I was hoping that I'd have a decent chance to go to GenCon since I only live about an hour and a half-two hours from Indy now. But the team is in town next weekend ( I work for a minor league baseball team), so no dice.

MAN! I won't get to see a real purple gelatinous cube of doom.:smallfrown:

Thes Hunter
2009-08-10, 09:55 PM
If today is any indication, I will need a break by the end of the week.

I was finally able to eat dinner just a bit ago, after pulling a nearly 12 hour day today.

And everytime a close my eyes I feel myself digging through layers and layers of fat.

Tomorrow instead of having a short day, my team will be right back at it.

And yes, this is exactly why I won't be showing at gen con until approximately 11 pm. I will be showered, I can not inflict that sort of funk even on a gaming con.

A bright spot in all of this is a classmate may be sharing a ride down with me, which will be fun.

soozenw
2009-08-11, 09:05 AM
Been packed since Sunday and we are ready to leave at 8am! Woohoo!

Lykan
2009-08-11, 08:39 PM
The wolfgirl is in Indianapolis.

I've discovered that following google maps directions are not my strong suit. I got lost a couple times today looking for food. >.>

Recaiden
2009-08-11, 08:44 PM
Lykan!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I said that I might be there, but not this year, sadly.

Thes Hunter
2009-08-11, 08:51 PM
I got the 'gotta study' blues. And knowing I am not headed down there tomorrow is not helping.

wxdruid
2009-08-11, 08:52 PM
catlover and I are driving there tomorrow, should be there by the late afternoon. We have to pick up Heather at the airport on our way.

EvilJames
2009-08-11, 09:51 PM
I Will be leaving Wisconsin at approximately Midnight Thursday morning. Should be there about 8am on thursday (I intend to drive at a liesurly pace). Hopefully the line won't be too long when we get there 'cause the website neglected to process one of my friends tickets so he has to buy it there.

Jacklu
2009-08-11, 10:31 PM
I am leaving in two days. I am so excited. ^_^ I am still not sure if I will be bringing my lappy yet though.

RTGoodman
2009-08-11, 10:35 PM
Hey, for you lucky so-and-sos who get to go to GenCon, can someone tell me if they've announced when the official D&D 2010 campaign setting reveal will happen? I figure it'll be a big event, but I can't work the GenCon site for crap, apparently.

tyckspoon
2009-08-12, 12:30 AM
So, I'll be attending the con on my day off this weekend. On the down side, that day off is Sunday, so I'll miss most of the Con and most of the people will be skipping out earlier to get started on their travels home. Not a big deal on the Con, I have yet to attend an actual scheduled GenCon event in three years of going, but it is sadmaking to miss the meet times- the closest I can get is maybe crashing the hall on Friday. If I came straight from work I'd probably be there ~5:30.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-12, 01:37 PM
We leave tonight! We have no idea what our plans are we're not sure when we'll arrive. We're not sure when we'll leave. I'm so happy I could wag openly!!

wxdruid
2009-08-12, 05:41 PM
We made it here. Made it into our hotel room. :smalltongue: Now to find the other people...

Mystic Muse
2009-08-12, 05:45 PM
sorry. not going to be there until Friday. preferably in a highly crowded area.:smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-08-12, 05:45 PM
Anyone been reading the recent gen con strips Dork Tower's come out with?

AngelSword
2009-08-12, 05:46 PM
I shall be there tomorrow about noon. Lucky for me, I had the brilliant idea to have my badge mailed to me (which I nearly lost immediately) to save me from standing in the pick up line, so I could gleefully skip over and wait in line in the swag bag line.

zerombr
2009-08-12, 06:05 PM
One of the reasons I love living in Naptown, I'll be there Friday -Sunday myself!

maybe I'll see some of you around!

SMEE
2009-08-12, 07:00 PM
With some luck, I'll be there Friday morning.
Otherwise, wait me only for Saturday morning. :smallsigh:

Kyrian
2009-08-12, 09:23 PM
Been here since five or six something. Only seen Ranis, but that's cuz we came with him. Plus I can only recall what wxdruid, thes, tantolian, ceika, zeb, alarra, and indurain look like, and four of those wont be here.

Reinboom
2009-08-12, 09:28 PM
I'm here. Anyone else staying at Comfort Suites? >.> <.<

wxdruid
2009-08-12, 09:42 PM
I'm over at the Marriott. Lykan and Vael have my cell phone number if anyone staying over that way wants to get in touch with me.

AngelSword
2009-08-12, 10:10 PM
I will be staying at The Conrad, since it was the only room available when I did my booking. The Conrad would've been perfectly acceptable when my ladyfriend was going to be joining me, but the fact that The Conrad is nothing but suites doesn't mean much when you're by yourself. :smallfrown:

EvilJames
2009-08-12, 11:50 PM
We'll be leaving in a matter of minutes see you all there.:smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2009-08-13, 03:01 PM
Angelsword suite == party in room:smallwink:

Now I better hit the books hard to make up for all this awesomness I am missing.

And it appears now two of my fellow classmates will be travelling down with me. So we get to do our own little anatomy study sessions in the car. After we shower of course.

SnowballMan
2009-08-13, 05:33 PM
Angelsword suite == party in room:smallwink:

So, what room number was that again?

Also, I hope everyone who still has yet to make it here pre-registered. The line this morning was hideously long.

wxdruid
2009-08-13, 08:07 PM
I went and got Heather and catlover's Saturday passes tonight, when the line was really really really short (as in, no one was ahead of us).

Jacklu
2009-08-13, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm here, and there. :smallbiggrin: I already met Vael and wxdruid. Lex-Kat too, but she picked me up from the airport. =P Can't wait till tomorrow. ^_^

Zherog
2009-08-14, 03:45 PM
I'm over at the Marriott. Lykan and Vael have my cell phone number if anyone staying over that way wants to get in touch with me.

Whoa! I'm in the Marriott too!

Looking forward to meeting everybody in a little while...

Jacklu
2009-08-14, 11:07 PM
Wee! I gots to meet a whole mess of peoples today! Though... I feel short. T_T Stop being taller then a shorter than average person!

SnowballMan
2009-08-15, 07:58 PM
Well the convention center is on fire and Gen Con is no more.

(Actually I'm hoping praying that this will be a humorous post. I'll feel bad if it ends up being not. The fire alarm just went off and the main convention center had to be evacuated. Could not see any raging inferno's from my end.)

Update : Was told that it was caused by a faulty escalator.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-16, 01:17 AM
would anybody mind PMing me the list of people who were there and their names? I want to know you guys's names for next year and I feel bad that I had to leave before I got to hang out with you more.:smallfrown:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-16, 07:15 AM
DD demands pics!

wxdruid
2009-08-16, 06:24 PM
Heather found out that the 'fire' in the convention center was due to an overcooked pizza and overzealous fire fighters and policemen.

I made it home, I will probably download pics tomorrow. We have a list of most of the GitP people that showed up and I can put it online then.

soozenw
2009-08-16, 07:41 PM
We were there and are home now. Unfortunately, our son was horrible Friday and Saturday, so most of Saturday was spent in the hotel room, keeping him away from the public.

We already made hotel reservations for next year. :smallbiggrin:

Oh and Homewood Suites hasn't raised their prices for GenCon yet, so we are getting 4 nights for under $700, if anyone else is looking to book early out of block.

Jacklu
2009-08-16, 08:38 PM
I just flew back home (and man are my arms tired). GenCon was insanely fun. Meeting super cool people from the Playground was super awesome. Whole experience = Super Coolawesome!

EDIT: Pics as soon as I can get them all off my camera. Also, if I took you're photo and you don't want me to post them, let me know, Kay?

EvilJames
2009-08-17, 12:38 AM
I have Huge Gencon news but I can't talk about it just now maybe later tonight.
(just got home)

WalkingTarget
2009-08-17, 10:51 AM
It was good to see again/meet the people who were around during the Saturday 5:30-ish meetup even if I didn't have a chance to really hang out or do much more than chat for the few minutes I was there.

Anybody know how the NASCRAG final went?

EvilJames
2009-08-17, 02:14 PM
Ok I know not a lot of you went to the masquerade ball on Saturday, but if you did you might know what my news is.

I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!

Trog
2009-08-17, 02:24 PM
I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!
Congratulations! :smallsmile:

WalkingTarget
2009-08-17, 03:15 PM
Ok I know not a lot of you went to the masquerade ball on Saturday, but if you did you might know what my news is.

I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!

I did not go to the ball, but Congrats!

SMEE
2009-08-17, 03:16 PM
Yay for GenCon proposals!!! :smallbiggrin:

Double yay for the yes!!! :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations. :smallsmile:

Indurain
2009-08-17, 03:53 PM
It was good to see again/meet the people who were around during the Saturday 5:30-ish meetup even if I didn't have a chance to really hang out or do much more than chat for the few minutes I was there.

Anybody know how the NASCRAG final went?

We ended up in 6th place (out of 12 3rd round finalists).

However, I did manage to pick up the award for "Best Kirac"!!!!! (I was NOT expecting that)

Oh yeah...I'm home now. It was great seeing everyone, and making new friends (Grigsby!! and Fox!)

It's unfortunate that NASCRAG takes so much time away from the Con, but I can't lie...I wouldn't trade it for the world! (I expect to see more teams next year. Get in on the fun now!)

Alarra
2009-08-17, 03:53 PM
I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!

Oooh, congrats! :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2009-08-17, 04:59 PM
I am back to the grind, and I smell like it too.:smallsigh:

It was good going and seeing everyone, it was the best 1.5 days of con I think I have ever had.

It was great to meet walking target, lykan, jacklu for the 1st time. Sorry I couldn't hang out more.

It was great to see Indurain, llama, smee, phoe, wxdruid, catlover, veal, Caw & el j again. It is too bad I couldn't spend more time with all of you.

I was able to score some nice deals in the dealers hall, and make it to 2 finals for speed painting.

It looks like I will be able to attend next year like normal.

I an glad I went anyways.

SMEE
2009-08-17, 05:02 PM
I didn't make it this year, Thes. :smallfrown:

Everything I worked and planned to be there failed miserably at the last minute. :smallsigh:

Coidzor
2009-08-17, 05:10 PM
That's... very unfortunate. :smallfrown: *hug*

Zherog
2009-08-17, 05:30 PM
Congrats, EJ!

SeptAngel
2009-08-17, 05:37 PM
I gots to see peoples for a little while this morning after I got off work, till like 4am. :smallbiggrin:

I promise I'll make plans next year and take off work a day to see everyone. Especially Jacklu!

soozenw
2009-08-17, 05:55 PM
I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!

Congratulations!!!!!!

Jacklu
2009-08-17, 09:14 PM
I proposed!!!!
And she said yes!
Awesome! Congratulations! Makes me wish I could have been there to see it.

I promise I'll make plans next year and take off work a day to see everyone. Especially Jacklu!
"Especially Jacklu" is right. If you don't come to GenCon, I'll just have to find out where you work and show up in the front lobby demanding to see you. Tell them you owe me money of something. :smallyuk::smallbiggrin:

EvilJames
2009-08-17, 11:36 PM
Awesome! Congratulations! Makes me wish I could have been there to see it.

See it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8-_zQ-EBw). A couple other people said they recorded it and got my email in order to send it to me hopefully I'll get them soon.

Jacklu
2009-08-17, 11:55 PM
That is so incredibly awesome. :smallbiggrin: Best of luck!

soozenw
2009-08-18, 12:16 PM
See it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8-_zQ-EBw). A couple other people said they recorded it and got my email in order to send it to me hopefully I'll get them soon.

*sniffle* I'm all choked up now. That was so sweet.

wxdruid
2009-08-18, 02:05 PM
Here are mine. All real names have been removed to protect the innocent and not so innocent... :smallbiggrin:

AngelSword in lab coat and bunny ears (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06103.jpg)
A Grinning Walking Target (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06102.jpg)
Serious looking Lex-kat (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06071.jpg)
A LLama and a Lex-kat (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06073.jpg)
Kyrian with a thumbs up and a smile :smallsmile: (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06099.jpg)
catlover as a cat (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06093.jpg)
A LLama and a catlover, side by side (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06101.jpg)
SweetRein offering the water bottle back to Vael (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06077.jpg)
PhoeKun and SweetRein (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06072.jpg)
Vael sitting on the floor (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06068.jpg)
The not so naked Emperor (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06074.jpg)
SweetRein and Lykan (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06075.jpg)
SweetRein and Lykan (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06076.jpg)
A *hug* and *kiss* for the Emperor (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06076.jpg)
Lykan resting with her wolf (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06080.jpg)
An inescapable situation... (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06081.jpg)
Krade with the hilarious game of Shootin' Ladders (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06082.jpg)
Krade, AngelSword and Lykan playing Munchkin (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06083.jpg)
Lex-kat looking cute (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06084.jpg)
Thoughtful Vael (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06085.jpg)
A cute SweetRein (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06096.jpg)
The Fearsome Thes Hunter (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06097.jpg) :smalltongue:
And finally, my collection...:smallbiggrin: (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06107.jpg)

We met up with Vael, Lykan, Lex-kat, Indurain, Krade, Zherog, EvilJames, SweetRein, PhoeKun, Jacklu, Kyuubi, AngelSword, Thes Hunter, Atreyu the Masked LLama, Walking Target on the Fri and Sat meet ups and wish we could have found everyone else.

If anyone wants a copy of the original, please PM me.

Pyrian
2009-08-18, 02:09 PM
Whoa. I might have to find a way to attend this event after all. :smallcool:

SMEE
2009-08-18, 05:01 PM
Whoa!!!

Reina and Phoe look far more beautiful than last year!!! :smalleek:

I didn't think that it was possible!!! :smallredface:

And it's quite clear that everyone was having tons of fun. A pity that I missed it all.

Jacklu
2009-08-18, 05:12 PM
I took too many images to post them all here. So instead, have two slide shows!

Click them to begin!

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/Jacklu/gencon/th_mahdice.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/Jacklu/gencon/?action=view&current=0f514eac.pbw)
People I met! They are all so awesome. Forgive me for forgetting some of you're names. >.<

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/Jacklu/gencon/th_chibicon013.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/Jacklu/gencon/?action=view&current=640cecff.pbw)
My chibithuluh met a lot of strange people. Most of them seemed nice though. ^_^

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-18, 08:35 PM
Jacklu: OMG, The STARWARS.
BOBA FETT! I THINK I JUST FANGASMED ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD.
And Harley?
Eeeeee~
Red Queeeeeeennnn...
I'm so jealous v.v

Phoe and Reina: STILL prettiful.
<3

Kyrian
2009-08-19, 02:14 PM
I met a few new faces and several familiar ones. Best in my opinion was meeting jacklu. Cuz friday i never heard his board name so but kinda figured it was him. So finding i was right saturday was awesome! And seeing and hanging with my Indy was the best! You helped me a lot this last weekend buddy, thanks. Also spent time with thes, reina, phoe, llama, and tim. All awesome people.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-21, 06:00 PM
Jacklu! I love that slideshow. Looks like you and Chibilthulhu had a blast. I don't have any pics of the OotS crew, but here are a few that I took.

Most unexpected costume goes to these guys.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/Gencon%2009/IMG_1935-1.jpg

Coolest thing I'll probably ever see made of M:tG cards award goes to
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/Gencon%2009/IMG_1923.jpg

cutest picture of Catlover award goes to
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/Gencon%2009/IMG_1934-1.jpg

Finally, the Congeniality prize goes to
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/Gencon%2009/IMG_1917.jpg

It was so awesome to get to see everyone again and to meet those for the first time. I did expect Kyrian to have longer blonder hair.....and a monkey tail.

wxdruid
2009-08-22, 10:58 AM
Well, catlover loves her picture. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2009-08-25, 01:30 AM
Good, because she's adorable. :smalltongue:
:smallredface: great, now I'm wondering what her momma looks like...

...and I think her eyes are especially soul-piercing as I appear to be bleeding out.

wxdruid
2009-08-25, 06:50 AM
That answer would be here (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/GenCon09/DSC06088.jpg) and here (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/S50087002.jpg).