PDA

View Full Version : PrC: Nightguard

Deleran
2005-12-24, 04:34 AM
I know what all of you have been asking: "When will Deleran show us some PrCs?" And if even if you haven't been asking yourselves that, you can totally feign interest. Anyway, this is from a campaign setting that I'm absolutely going to make at some point. Its also not overly exotic, but I think it does what its supposed to.
[hr]

Nightguard

In the sprawling megalopolis of <the name of the city is someplace else and unrelated anyway>, theives' guilds have taken over most of the city and operate extensively at night. During the night, the guard and other government officials withdraw into the protection of the massive citadel in the center of the city. However, government sites, including the citadel, still need to be protected. For this job, the most elite members of the guard are trained in special combat techniques to earn the title of nightguard.

Requirements:
7 ranks in spot and listen
+5 BAB
Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus: Spot
Must be trained by a current or former nightguard. The combat techniques of the nightguard are closely guarded secrets.

HD: d8
BAB: As fighter
Good Saves: Reflex
Proficiencies: The nightguard is proficient with all martial weapons and light and medium armor.
Skills: 2 + int modifier
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Proffesion (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Rope (Dex).

Abilities:

Level 1: Darkvision 30 ft.
Level 2: Uncanny Dodge, +1 Save vs Poison
Level 3: Bonus Feat
Level 4: Darkvision 60 ft., +2 Save vs Poison
Level 5: Improved Uncanny Dodge
Level 6: +3 Save vs Poison
Level 7: Bonus Feat, Hardened Physiology (50%)
Level 8: Darkvision 120 ft., +4 Save vs Poison
Level 9: No Escape
Level 10: Hardened Physiology (Complete), Poison Immunity

Darkvision (Ex): The nightguard gains Darkvision with a range of 30 feet at level 1. This improves to 60 feet at level 4 and 120 feet at level 8.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a nightguard retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a nightguard already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Save Bonus Against Poison: At 2nd level, the nightguard gains a +1 saving throw bonus against poisons of all kinds. This improves by +1 every two levels through level 8.

Bonus Feat: At 3rd and 7th level, the nightguard gains a feat selected from the fighter bonus feat list.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a nightguard can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the nightguard by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has nightguard levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Hardened Physiology (Su): High level nightguards are so considered so valuable that they are blessed by powerful secret rites that change the very structure of their bodies. At 7th level, a nightguard has a 50% chance to negate a critical hit or sneak attack damage. At 10th level, he becomes immune to critical hits and sneak attack damage.

No Escape (Ex): At 9th level, if an opponent within one size category of the nightguard attempts to leave a square threatened by the nightguard, the nightguard may make a special attack of opportunity against that opponent, even if he would not normally be allowed one (This allows the nightguard to perform this action even if his opponent is withdrawing from combat or taking a 5 foot step). The nightguard and his opponent roll opposed reflex checks. The nightguard also adds a bonus equal to his nightguard class levels to this check. If the nightguard wins, the opponent is unable to move for the round.

Poison Immunity (Ex): At 10th level, a nightguard has built up such a resistance to poisons that he becomes immune to them.

[hr]

So, there it is. I was trying to make an anti-rogue, and I think this guy fits the bill pretty well. I haven't playtested it, but if you'd like to, feel free. Obviously if you want to use this, you can remove the "learn from a nightguard" requirement if you don't think thats practical. The templating for No Escape is kinda awkward, and some help with that would be nice. I really like Unusual Physiology as a final ability, but I can't think of a good flavor for it. Help with those would be great, but comments in general are appreciated. And oh yeah, I think Night watch (as one word) would be a better name, but the language filter disagrees with me.

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-24, 05:22 AM
Ummm........that's a bit odd. You're making him suddenly gain heavy fortification at prestige level 10.

One alternative is to ramp it up, letting him first gain light, then moderate, then finally heavy fortification. As this seems to be a Dexterity-based class, though, that sounds a bit odd.

The other, which I prefer, is something like this:

Evasive Guard (if you can think of a better name, put it there instead)

If the Night Guard is on the recieving end of a critical hit or sneak attack, he can make a Reflex save against the attacker's attack roll, with the Night Guard gaining a bonus to the save equal to his levels in the class. Success on the save results in him only taking normal damage, while failure means he takes the critical damage as normal.

The Night Guard can only attempt one such save once every round, and can only do so if he has not lost his Dex bonus to AC and is wearing light or no armor and is not carrying any more than a light load.

Just my 2cp. :P

Zeal
2005-12-24, 04:26 PM
Nice, this is going in my resource section.

Everyman
2005-12-24, 11:54 PM
So...uber-sentry? Nifty.

I must say, you've done a fine job in outlining the idea and the abilities are not overpowered. In fact, the class seems to be lacking in abilities instead. Darkvision and resistance to poison is unique, but nothing grand. Perhaps you should consider granting them more fighter feats (progression at 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th). Otherwise, they're going to fall behind other classes in combat potential.

Second, I have to concur with SSZ...the sudden immunity seems a bit abrupt. It may be for the best to give that progression as well. In fact, perhaps you should keep the same amount of bonus feats listed, and use progression I noted above (gaining 25%, 50%, etc). That way, 10th level is truly something special. (Immunity to poisons, sneak attacks, and criticals! Crazy!) ;D

Otherwise, everything looks great.

EDIT: Whoops. Had one more note I forgot.

I'd recommend that the "No Escape" abiltiy be defined as "opponent leaving a threatened square", just to make sure people understand just what you mean.

Deleran
2005-12-26, 12:16 AM
Perhaps ramping up to it would be better. The poison immunity just seemed to be the natural conclusion of the save vs poison progression. Plus, it goes with the other abilities fairly well. I was considering having them become type: construct, which would give them all those things naturally, but it didn't seem to fit quite right and it would give them additional abilities that I don't like. And that is a better templating for No Escape, thanks.

Everyman
2005-12-26, 12:47 AM
You're welcome about the wording.

I still think an eventual progression of "fortification" would be a good idea (1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th), with a 25% increase each time it gets revamped. It fits well with the "I will not falter, I will not fail" kinda feel I get from this sentry class. However, it's entirely your decision, my friend. :)

Nice job.

Deleran
2005-12-26, 04:38 AM
I decided to add a 50% progression at level 7 and separate critical hits/sneak attack resistance and poison immunity. I did the latter because I felt that the poison immunity was related more to the poison resistance than the critical hit/sneak attack resistance. I did the former because I felt that the ability should stay backloaded to encourage players to stick with the class and to keep the Uncanny Dodge ability more relevant.

Brickwall
2005-12-26, 10:47 AM
*STEAL*

I now claim this as to be used in my future D&D campaigns. It is awesomely done, although I think the requirements of skills should include something like intimidate or sense motive (no bluffing THIS guy) to make him more anti-rogue. Otherwise, it seems you did a very good job of constructing this to be accessible to all classes that would fit in an urban environment, even rogues. Good job Deleran!

Everyman
2005-12-26, 02:26 PM
There we go! That looks nice and balanced. There are enough abilities that a player would want to take the class, and they are spread out evenly enough where there is a nice progression of power. Nice.

McDeath
2005-12-26, 07:48 PM
This looks like a great rogue-killer. I think I'll have one of my NPCs take this class.

Deleran
2005-12-26, 09:37 PM
[snip] it seems you did a very good job of constructing this to be accessible to all classes that would fit in an urban environment, even rogues. Good job Deleran!

That was something I felt was important, that any class should be able to take it. I imagined the organization as having sorcerors and clerics among their ranks (although you don't have to have this be a formal organization in your campaign world if you don't want to). And thanks for all the kind words everyone, it means more to me than you think it does. :)

Single Shot Zombie
2005-12-27, 09:05 AM
Evasive Guard (if you can think of a better name, put it there instead)

If the Night Guard is on the recieving end of a critical hit or sneak attack, he can make a Reflex save against the attacker's attack roll, with the Night Guard gaining a bonus to the save equal to his levels in the class. Success on the save results in him only taking normal damage, while failure means he takes the critical damage as normal.

The Night Guard can only attempt one such save once every round, and can only do so if he has not lost his Dex bonus to AC and is wearing light or no armor and is not carrying any more than a light load.

Well, if you want the guy to gain fortification, shouldn't his good save be Fort instead of Reflex? I created the above sample ability to fit a higher Ref save, assuming that he would gain the ability to dodge seriouse blows to a limited extent, making thm less painful.

But now it seems that he's becoming a tough guy who takes blows, rather than dodging them.

Deleran
2005-12-27, 05:14 PM
Well, if you want the guy to gain fortification, shouldn't his good save be Fort instead of Reflex? I created the above sample ability to fit a higher Ref save, assuming that he would gain the ability to dodge seriouse blows to a limited extent, making thm less painful.

But now it seems that he's becoming a tough guy who takes blows, rather than dodging them.

Well, a good fort save certainly isn't out of the question, and I don't think it would really unbalance the character. However, I disagree with the idea that he's becoming a tough guy, I think that he always was one with the poison resistance and whatnot.

Bloodlust
2007-03-23, 12:16 PM
Give them monk saves.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-23, 03:19 PM
anti-rogue?!
IM GONNA .... AHH!

immune to critical and sneak attack WDF at level 15 minimum.
that's...WTF.
and immune to poison thou it's kinda cool.
other abilities are good, decent and balanced.
maybe 25 % at level 10 against crit and sneak and instead of the 50% bonus feat.

Maerok
2007-03-23, 03:24 PM
It still seems a little underpowered still. Perhaps a Listen/Spot bonus. And if you really wanna block out the sneaky types, throw in the ability to negate a hide in plain sight ability within X amount of feet.

Single Shot Zombie
2007-03-23, 03:36 PM
Holy crap; talk about insane threadomancy. I can't remember actually making those posts anymore. :smalleek:

Icewalker
2007-03-24, 09:26 PM
I like it, makes a great anti-rogue, and it looks balanced to me. The ultimate sentry in a city half controlled by theives guilds...

I have a city which is under control of the assassin's guild, maybe I'll use these as part of an attempt by the government to overthrow their power.